gwes.exe using lots of CPU

Guest Weesals

Guest Weesals

I'm getting very frustrated with my Omnia wasting 40% of my CPU whenever I touch the touchscreen, my old iPaq 2210 never lagged at all when using the touch screen. So after searching for most of today, I found this site claiming to be able to significantly lower the CPU usage for another device

http://eten-users.eu/index.php?showtopic=14129

Except I'm not very experienced with these hacks, has anyone tried it on the Omnia? If I try it, could it break my Omnia? Or has anyone else found another way to stop it using so much CPU?

It makes almost all games unplayable and even lags out most of the stock Samsung programs (when scrolling, it goes slow and jumpy until you let go and let it slide on its own)

If anyone reading this has upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.5, could you post if it fixed the lag for you? I dont really want to risk flashing, but if it will fix this, I probably will

Thanks

Guest Weesals

"Gwes is the Graphical Windowing and Event Subsystem. It’s one little program that draws all the controls on the device like scrollbars, buttons, and checkboxes. It also handles passing window messages back and forth between applications and manages the WndProcs of all of the programs on the device that are displaying UI." http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archiv...pologizing.aspx

If youve got the Program "Task Manager", run that and go Menu->View->Processes and it should come up in the list. Hold your finger on the screen anywhere for a while (it only updates every 5 seconds) and you should see gwes.exe jump up to 40%

Or run an intensive game and push down on the touchscreen while playing

EDIT: Ive kinda found a way around it, this task manager lets you set priorities for threads. Setting all gwes.exe's threads to normal (some were time critical; the highest it goes) seems to make everything run much smoother, but sometimes the Omnia ignores input (need to hold your finger down sometimes before it registers)

Edited by Weesals

Guest necosino

Ah, I see it now and see what you mean. But, isn't it just a split-second jump while you're tapping? idk, maybe I'll download Dotfred's TM and set the priority to normal and see if I notice a difference, too..

So, I tried this out, there were only two or three threads that were set as higher priority (most were 251). Using SPB MS3, switching between lifestyle screens was a lot shakier, even going through menus was really jerky. I'll just leave it the way it was, thanks for trying though ;)

Plus, the thread priority is switched back after a soft reset, so you'd have to make the change every time you restarted your phone..

Edited by necosino

Guest Yunabeco

On any WM 5+ device, if you keep holding a button and/or the touchscreen, gwes.exe will eat all CPU it wants. As far as I know, this isn't specific to the Omnia, and hasn't been "fixed" in Windows Mobile 6, 6.1 or 6.5.

Guest necosino
On any WM 5+ device, if you keep holding a button and/or the touchscreen, gwes.exe will eat all CPU it wants. As far as I know, this isn't specific to the Omnia, and hasn't been "fixed" in Windows Mobile 6, 6.1 or 6.5.

Right, and he was trying to either limit this, which it does. Unfortunately it makes my system rather unstable, and goes back to the way it was after a soft reset.

Guest Jokes On You

Is that a problem that can be fixed? I know that when you are running any program that is graphically intensive the CPU needs more memory to render it. I think the only real fix would be better hardware.

Guest Weesals

Jokes On You: The issue is that Windows Mobile is using all that CPU time for sending window messages about you touching the screen, rather than actually rendering

I've uploaded the file to weesals.com/Files/FISH_TOUCH_FIX2_BY_GreateVK.zip for those who dont want to sign up to the forum, but I have no idea what the file will do, so BACKUP before running it.

Surely Microsoft cant have missed this bug when shipping WM5, 6, 6.1 AND 6.5...

natedawg1013 beat me to it xD

Edited by Weesals

Guest Adrynalyne
Jokes On You: The issue is that Windows Mobile is using all that CPU time for sending window messages about you touching the screen, rather than actually rendering

I've uploaded the file to weesals.com/Files/FISH_TOUCH_FIX2_BY_GreateVK.zip for those who dont want to sign up to the forum, but I have no idea what the file will do, so BACKUP before running it.

Surely Microsoft cant have missed this bug when shipping WM5, 6, 6.1 AND 6.5...

natedawg1013 beat me to it xD

Yeah well, don't blame MS.

Have you looked at this cab file? It installs a different touch driver.

Microsoft does NOT provide the driver. So blame the OEMs. Now you know why MS hasnt fixed it.

Unless it works for full kinetic scrolling, no thanks. I like my 6.5 kinetic scrolling the way it is ;)

Edited by Adrynalyne

Guest Jokes On You
Yeah well, don't blame MS.

Have you looked at this cab file? It installs a different touch driver.

Microsoft does NOT provide the driver. So blame the OEMs. Now you know why MS hasnt fixed it.

Unless it works for full kinetic scrolling, no thanks. I like my 6.5 kinetic scrolling the way it is ;)

So is the cab unsafe to install?

Guest Adrynalyne
So is the cab unsafe to install?

I don't know.

If the touch driver is compatible, maybe.

But Im not willing to test it.

If its not compatible, the cab will force you to do a hard reset.

Edited by Adrynalyne

Guest necosino

Right, I'm not touching it ;)

Maybe when I get bored and decide to flash again I'll test it out before, but until then, I'll leave it to someone else to try out.

Guest necosino
doesnt work with wm6.5 omnia.. youll have a non functional touch if you try to install this

Thank you, that's basically what I expected ;)

Its is a shame nothing can be done about this. I had my HTC Touch before the Omnia and never experienced as much lag as I do with the Omnia. I had just convinced myself it was due to WM having to render on a larger display. Games that are supposedly made for the Omnia like Assasians Creed and Aspahalt HD run like crap when using the touch screen and unfortunatly my Omnia doesnt sence thought waves yet ;)

Guest ejoya
Its is a shame nothing can be done about this. I had my HTC Touch before the Omnia and never experienced as much lag as I do with the Omnia. I had just convinced myself it was due to WM having to render on a larger display. Games that are supposedly made for the Omnia like Assasians Creed and Aspahalt HD run like crap when using the touch screen and unfortunatly my Omnia doesnt sence thought waves yet ;)

use ftouchsl touch driver instead

Guest Weesals
use ftouchsl touch driver instead

I already use FTouchSL but it doesnt make any difference. I dont think FTouchSL is a driver, it seems to just be an app that monitors the touch screen and responds to actions like dragging down; by sending scroll messages to the active window.

If anything it would make the situation worse by having another layer the input needs to go through

Also when I disable it, WM6.1 scrolling doesnt work anymore :[

I recommend anyone else having issues with touch screen lag download this task manager, right click gwes.exe and click details, click the "Threads" tab along the top, and set all the threads that are not already at 251 priority to "Normal" priority (the lower the number, the higher the priority, so the more chance that thread will take over your phone lagging out any other app)

This doesnt get saved after a soft reset, so if you dont like it, just reset and it'll go back to normal

• 4 months later...
Guest weeliam
Here are the files from eten-users.eu.

I don't know what can be done with them, but here they are.

installed this thing now the touch screen for the toshiba tg01 not responding. what could b done?

Guest weeliam
or if u can connect your phone to active sync and uninstall it through active sync that might solve your problem

did the 'turn on while holding vol up + camera' master reset thingie. lol. luckily the phone's new got most contacts on the previous phone XD

Guest carpcmelee

guys i think this high usage occurs because our omnia does not have a dedicated video chip, and therefore has to run gwes all out on the cpu, taking priority over other apps, like games, and therefore lagging up anything else. thats why people with touch pro's dont experience this problem. It also might have to do wit the tiny amount of ram the omnia has