TOSHIBA TG01: Give us your first Impressions

Guest oalex

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xdalover

TG01: First impressions after two weeks "playing" with it

My first impressions (from the point of view of a O2 XDA Flame user)

1) Battery drain: You have read around claims against Toshiba TG01's small battery and people saying that battery runs out very quickly, isn't it? Well, forget it if you have a Flame. For a standard user (and a lot of new users are not PDA experts, most of them comes from the phone's world... ) charging every night the battery is a sin, but that's normal for PDA users. Toshiba (not they exactly, Qualcomm did it) has made a good design and it seems incredible that with such a big screen, battery drain is not bad, and, of course, better than Flame with any of the present roms. And this small battery can be charged very fast: You can use it as a perfect GPS car, and with backlight at 100% , you are able to charge the TG01' battery from 30% to 85% in a short traject of half an hour driving! (tested)

2) Agility: It's really FAST!, faster than Flame, but not only on benchmark, also in the real life: I've recovered the taste of the adjective "immediately" from my old and loved XdaIIs (Blue Angel) and (snif) missed with flame: As an example: apps opens immediately as if they where already charged in memory!

3) Size: Yes, with only 9,5 mm, it's very comfortable on the pocket , sometimes, I even doubt if I have it or not. As on my present Flame, I've bought a silicone case to improve grape on hand and avoid slipping from the pocket when driving (for instance)

4)Screen: Amazing. Very clear on sun, but I don't now which technology Toshiba uses

5) Video capability: Superb, the best never tested. You can watch any downloaded film directly with high performance (Benchmarcs over 140-160-230...)

CONS:

1) Stylus: I use write recognizing to introduce text. And some stupid have simulated the Iphone aspect missing the stylus hole!! But this is a WM device with an amazing resistive screen and yes, WE CAN write and DRAW on it (Apple people DON't because capacitive screens can do it)

2) No Hardware buttons: Yes , I miss the D-pad but, specially, the Recorder button. I'm trying to map the two only buttons: (Volume UP and DOWN)

3) Not Radio (but it seems that Spotify it's coming from PC to mobile word!!)

4) No TV out ! Bad....

5) SD card inside. You need to remove battery to change it

Picture: My new TG01 over my (snif) old Flame.....that's the life...

1288_imagen_004.jpg

I got mine 2 days ago and it's simply the best winmo device that I have used, it's really fast, even with wm 6.1 so with wm 6.5 it will be better, I have tested browsing the youtube site, runing coreplayer and my aol streaming radio app at same time and no lags, it's amazing and also I'm using my bt headset all the time. so it's really good,

Hlov

Guest xdalover
I got mine 2 days ago and it's simply the best winmo device that I have used, it's really fast, even with wm 6.1 so with wm 6.5 it will be better, I have tested browsing the youtube site, runing coreplayer and my aol streaming radio app at same time and no lags, it's amazing and also I'm using my bt headset all the time. so it's really good,

Hlov

Yes and the best is that even in "Energy saving" CPU speed reduced) it works very snappy...

Regarding WM 6.5, and after enjoying a lot with this device under 6.1...perhaps I'll stay on it for a long time...I mean that the improvement should be important to justify the change (it's my opinion)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Wildfire

I have had my TGo1 for about 3 weeks now and this is the first time i have posted on it as i really wanted to see how i settled into using it, recently i have been using BB's but have used various Winmo's in the past:

Form - think it looks great, nice and slim, a simple design that doesn't appear to be to 'look at me'

Speed - it is quick to react to touches and changes in orientation as well

Screen - nice and clear, even in direct sunlight

Dislikes:

Battery life - Blackberrys are not the best for battery, but the Toshiba is really bad, this is compounded with another issue, the battery gauge stays at 100% all day and then the phone just dies when the battery runs out, the only way to get the phone to record accurate battery life is to power off and on at regular intervals, this strikes me as being faulty

Bluetooth - i have a Parrot kit in my car that is built into a Kenwood stereo, the unit is pared and i can see the phone book, but trying to get it to make a call is impossible, i have to action the call from the handset, only then will it work, this defeats the point of having a handsfree setup in the car

SD card slot - why oh why do they insist on putting this in a place that requires the battery to be removed

Volume - even on the loudest settings i still cant here the ringtone in the car

My biggest disappointment was finding that it was not loaded with Winmo6.5, please tell me that we will be able to 'upgrade' the OS when it becomes available.

Guest leeston2379
Dislikes:

1 Battery life - Blackberrys are not the best for battery, but the Toshiba is really bad, this is compounded with another issue, the battery gauge stays at 100% all day and then the phone just dies when the battery runs out, the only way to get the phone to record accurate battery life is to power off and on at regular intervals, this strikes me as being faulty

2 Bluetooth - i have a Parrot kit in my car that is built into a Kenwood stereo, the unit is pared and i can see the phone book, but trying to get it to make a call is impossible, i have to action the call from the handset, only then will it work, this defeats the point of having a handsfree setup in the car

3 Volume - even on the loudest settings i still cant here the ringtone in the car

My biggest disappointment was finding that it was not loaded with Winmo6.5, please tell me that we will be able to 'upgrade' the OS when it becomes available.

1 sounds like you have a faulty unit, my battery level updates often. Also my battery lasts 2 days no probs.

2 I have a bluetooth hands free kit that works no problems, it is a stand alone visor mounted jobbie though. (supertooth voice)

3 Yeah, though it can be made a little better. Mod your ringtone to be louder and take a look at the SRS WOW thread.

Hope this improves your TG01 experiance

Guest xdalover
1 sounds like you have a faulty unit, my battery level updates often. Also my battery lasts 2 days no probs.

.......take a look at the SRS WOW thread.

Hope this improves your TG01 experiance

Regarding battery level, after two month of "playing" with my loved TG01, I think that all you are right :D

In my opinion, approx 80% of battery drain is caused by backlight. If you are in a sunny place, you'll need a high backlight level (100%); in this situation, your battery life will be ridiculous (this is the price of enjoying of a WVGA 4.1 inches screen) Instead, in a working scenario (an illuminated room) you can leave the backlight level as low as 20% or 30%. In this case battery drain is average, better than on my previous device... but you always must think that you can't compare with a mini 2,6" screen VGA or even QVGA!! 320x240

I agree: Regarding sound increase, take a look at the SRS WOW thread

Best Regards

• 5 months later...
Guest hayzy00
You do get a stylus with the TG01 - but it's external (does not slide into the device) and for some reason comes with the ability to tie it to something - although I don't know what as the TG01 has no hook/hole to tie it to!

yeah that was pretty funny when i took it out the box and searched the thing for a loop to tie it too!! I found that if you use the stylus to orient the screen, it must just pin point it so well because it always seems to know what i wanted to press when i use my fingers, e.g. when im on a webpage and im zoomed out so far i cant read the writing, i still press exactly the right link everytime (well almost)

My experience with touch screen phones is based mainly on my last phone the ku990 LG VIEWTY. Now this phone (LG) was the bane of my life for about 6 months. My girlfriends cookie is very responsive to touch and works very well my LG i could press 1 and it would register that i had pressed 9, even when i was able to callibrate the screen it would over a few days revert back to being unusable. - I was very p----d off cos i spent a lot of money and i didnt want to make the same mistake with the toshiba. Ive had a fiddle with my mates iphone everynow and then and i really loved the way the screen responded, thankfully though the toshiba is a pleasure to stroke just when i was about to give up on touchscreens.

the only drawback i'm finding at the moment is when i type into a text box ie, google search, the text doesnt always show up, most of the time you need to wait for the screen to refresh to check you havent made a mistake, not so bad in google but pretty annoying signing in to places with a password when u dont know how many characters you have written. From what i remember Iphones text boxes work properly.

I know most people seem to have bought spbmobile shell, for their handset i did consider because everyone recomended it so much, but i dont really understand whats different to the standard today screens- they all have far too much text and detail and i dont know what they all are!!! if someone could explain this to me would be much appreciated. Right now im using easy today launcher which looks like a normal desktop with your shortcuts on it eg wmp IE contacts phone etc

What type of video files are played on core player or any others and if i have to convert what conversion software do u guys recomend?

anyway never had a smart phone before but i can honestly say i probably could not do without it, my laptop is about a year old and ive got mobile dongle so my phone is so much quicker to use for quick browsing or viewing docs (microsoft word) I have said on a another forum that i used my phone fund to buy the phone PAYG for just under £100!! compare this to the iphone what is it like £400? plus its windows and has expandable memory a huge credit card sized screen.

oh and i downloaded wmtorrent as well which works amazing!!

Hey all, a lot of us are really waiting for hands on, user impressions/reviews, so anyone that has got a TG01 since yesterday please share.

Tell us, what you think, like and don't like. Lets get the forum rolling and hopefully there might be some ROM kitchen too soon.

Cheers

P.S: also hands on videos link are welcome too, just not those one pre July 9th as anyone interested in these has watched them all :)

Hi

Picked up a TG01 last friday.

First impressions have been good. Read all the reviews before i bought it so had an idea it was going to be a challenge, well it was great till yesterday when it started to run very slowly, call quality started to drop.

I had installed SPB 3 and a couple of other programs. don't know if they were having an adverse effect so did a Hard Reset this morning it's running better but not as good as when i first got it out of the Box. i'm thinking i'll give it another week to see how it goes. not to worried about the Phone side of things.as i think it works fine as a PDA . which is where i will use it most

Reagrds

Ian H

Guest BaconTrousers

Well Ive had my TG01 for just over a week and I still haven't made it my daily use phone. The main reason for this is the truly shite Windows Mobile operating system which crashes at least 3 times a day, just opening programs. Its like stepping back ten years to the days of the constantly blue screening Windows 98 and I'm getting fed up with it. Its not as if its new programs its crashing out on it either, as its programs that will run ok when the device is first started but will just hang after a few other (inbuilt) apps have been opened and then closed down.

It wouldn't be so bad if you had some kind of ctrl-alt-delete button so you can kill a running process so you didn't have to keep resetting (unless Ive missed something)

To be honest I don't think this phone will ever be my main device and will just sit on the side for surfing the net.

Guest bib*oops

Agree, bac/trousers. My own(first, also job device, my choice, no idea being so buggy) from august '09, I believe it was first tg01 in timisoara/romania(orange locked).Fast device(only Wm6.1, I'm still thinking on upgrade WM6.5), especially on gps(& other apps, like video).After few problems(see my other posts),got new one(somewhere in december, before Christmas, realy quick feedback from orangeRO):seems more stable, but often 1 reset/day. There's no problem, momentarly, I have my own touch2(mega)WM6.5, no such fast,but more stable&user friendly&compact(like phone), even weaker hardware.

Still tosh is very good for internet browsing, movie playing and fast device(except buggy behaviour), fine design(a lot toooo long for my taste/hand).I hope for some future improvement from toshiba(for such a promissing device=fingercross)

Edited by bib*oops

Guest hayzy00

So i caved in and downloaded spb mobile shell at the weekend and it is well worth it!! Pretty much fully customisable widgets - i think ive go 5 pages for home screen which you can display shortcuts, pictures (with or without contact links) It works realy well with google/facebook/media player. The weather app on there is a nice but because im on PAYG I have limited it to only updating on free connections (orange give me i think 50mb to use every week for my £10.00 every month plus shedloads of txt) but Orange barred me from browsing yesterday and i think this is why

ALSO IF U HAVNT YET GET FPSECE - playstation emulator fully compatible with touch screen and...........G-sensor!!!! spotty dog haha!!