transfer all SMS (and only SMS) from one phone to another?

Guest razzdazz

Guest razzdazz

Hi all...hope someone can help with this...it's drving me crazy and I'm running out of time.

I have two HTC Touches (old and new) and I also have Sprite Backup. I used Sprite to copy everything over (including the 'Email' option), and all the SMS messages came with. Problem was the 5 other email accounts got completely messed up. 3 of the 5 don't show, and when I try to add them it says they alreay exist...plus the today screen still says 2 unread, but I can't get to whatever account has them.

I reset the new Touch, and ran Sprite without email...everything looks good, but no SMS messages. I can add the email accounts fine, but is there something else (free) that will allow me to transfer over the SMS messages (about 2k+ of them), but nothing else?

If there is no program to do it, does anyone know if I can connect the old one to a PC...find the actual files somewhere, copy them to the PC, then transfer them to the new Touch in the smae location to have them sho wup?

Sorry for the novel...and sorry iof I posted in the wrong place! I have to return the old phone soon so as not to be charged, so any help thats quick is MUCH appreciated!

Guest M@rkC
I can add the email accounts fine, but is there something else (free) that will allow me to transfer over the SMS messages (about 2k+ of them), but nothing else?

Why don't you use PPCPimBackup (DotFred's PPCPimBackup) to backup the SMS messages from one phone, copy the backup file to the new phone and then use the same utility to restore them again. You need to make sure the destination accounts exist before you restore....

The utility runs on the phone, so you'll need to use ActiveSync (or a memory card) to get it on to both phones, plus some way of getting the backup file off one and on to the other.....

There's a user manual on the home page - www.dotfred.net - that you can refer to if you get stuck ;) I have a vague recollection that there may be issues with threaded SMS (in WM6.x), but it's only vague......if in doubt, RTFM :D

Hope this helps....and that it was quick enough :)

Mark.

Guest razzdazz
Why don't you use PPCPimBackup (DotFred's PPCPimBackup) to backup the SMS messages from one phone, copy the backup file to the new phone and then use the same utility to restore them again. You need to make sure the destination accounts exist before you restore....

The utility runs on the phone, so you'll need to use ActiveSync (or a memory card) to get it on to both phones, plus some way of getting the backup file off one and on to the other.....

There's a user manual on the home page - www.dotfred.net - that you can refer to if you get stuck ;) I have a vague recollection that there may be issues with threaded SMS (in WM6.x), but it's only vague......if in doubt, RTFM :D

Hope this helps....and that it was quick enough :)

Mark.

Mark...you are a lifesaver!!!

Thank you so much! Worked perfectly via a microSD card! And yes the timing was perfect :o

Thanks again SOOO much!

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...
Guest kkineus

Data transfer from one phone to another becomes easily for now due to increase number of apps. But unlike contacts/photos/music, which can be backed up and restored through cloud services, text messages is much different as you can transfer them in normal ways. You have to export them in xml and import the file on the new phone. The most comfortable way for sms transfer is this: http://www.androidphonesoft.com/resources/transfer-text-messages-from-android-to-iphone.html

The above demo is for iOS and Android, it also works for Windows and Blackberry phones.

Edited by kkineus