Goodbye Omnia & ROMS - thanks for the experience...

Guest le.bouch

Guest bluetooth_decay

Interesting thread.

The decision process was pretty simple for me. To get an iPhone, I would have had to switch to AT&T, a prospect I didn't relish due to the complaints I've read about sub-par 3G coverage (probably due to the explosion of iPhone users). The earlier incarnations of the iPhone were not outstanding phones, which was my primary criterion. And the 3GS was $199 (I wasn't going to buy any of the earlier beta versions :D).

Compare that to the Omnia at $30, with my same provider (Verizon). I detest WinMo, Microsoft should be ashamed of itself, but I've got a pretty nice phone thanks to some highly skilled ROM chefs, and I didn't spend too too much time getting there -- more than an iPhone user, yes, but not so much that I had lost patience. I can tether with it as I occasionally need to do; I am not aware the iPhone has that capability to this day. I don't use a ton of apps, so the App Store was not an advantage; on the contrary, iTunes has screwed me every time I've had to use it, whereas Activesync has mostly just worked (though I do not like being required to use it, and have full Outlook to boot, to do a local sync).

Anyway, iPhone 3GS owners feel free to correct any inaccuracies here. I do understand the iPhone's allure, though. In another two years, who knows?

Guest le.bouch
Anyway, iPhone 3GS owners feel free to correct any inaccuracies here. I do understand the iPhone's allure, though. In another two years, who knows?

I'm the OP - it's nice to see some generally mature debate about this. But boy, do some people hate Apple..

I still feel some are missing one of the main points I made about Omnia and it's ROMS; that being yes, there are tons of ROMS and apps that can improve the look and to some extent the useability of the Omnia. But what a (constantly evolving) pain in the ass it is to get there!

Personally I don't have the time or (now) enthusiasm to spend yet another evening in front of the PC downloading, installing, trying out, junking, downloading, installing.. just to get the Omnia to behave itself. As Laughing Crow said, it really shouldn't be this hard. And if people really enjoy doing that, once the novelty has worn off, then all I can say is that you have simpler lives than mine, with more hours in the day!

The iPhone is not perfect and for you guys in the US it seems further hindered by AT&T. I guess we're luckier (for once) in the UK, where the O2 3G coverage is generally good and MMS has been working perfectly for years.

I've not had any particular battery issues, it's not once locked on me and everything works, simply and easily. Sure there are some annoyances - multi-tasking would be good, Bluetooth is crippled. Financially, it was a mad choice - I effectively had to buy my way out of the last few months of my Vodafone contract, which I did by selling my Omnia. I then had to take a 24 month contract with O2 and pay for the iPhone. But I have not one regret.

Defenders of WM seem to always assert that the Apple / iPhone campaign is a con and we've all had the wool pulled over our eyes. I know that on paper the tech is outdated. I know that the phone is made in China. But I also know that it works. Well. Easily. Something my Omnia never really did, having wasted hours and days of my life on it. In the end, spec and cool looking GUIs means nothing if it doesn't perform.

I hope that the Omnia II is genuinely great - competition is good. Lets see all the manufacturers make phones that really are as good as the adverts and Youtube 'reviews'. Besides, with all these other 'great' phones coming out just imagine how much better the next iPhone will be :D

Guest mario.omnia

Hi,

I owned an iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G...

Now I have Omnia...

And the only thing where iPhone is better than Omnia is SCREEN RESPONSE.

Anyone who ever tried the iPhone and used it for at least a year knows this...

But sadly that is the only PRO that an iPhone has over Omnia...

The CONS...well I don't know where to start...and it isn't important...

I'm not trying to dish the phone that I used for almost 2 years but in the end

if the iPhone indeed was the best phone out there I wouldn't switch to a phone

that runs WM and has inferior screen response.

Major downfall of the iPhone in my opinion is iTunes...I mean you pay for your

phone...and the only place that you can play with your phone is iTunes...

First day I arrived home with my iPhone I jailbreaked it so that it may be usefull

without any other purchases of some applications...yeah there are a lot of free

ones but you can install hundreds of them and you'll never end up using them.

I bet that anyone that switches from WM phone to an iPhone will be at least

50% disappointed with the phone just because of iTunes...but enough with the

iPhone...I'll say the things I like now about my Omnia...

First..I can go at any of my friends computers that doesn't have a WiFi network

and connect the phone to a PC via cable...and that computer doesn't have to

install any type of software so that I can add some music/movies/pictures...

Second... I can flash my phone with any type of ROM that I found on the net

(mostly here on modaco) or that I make for myself...choose what apps will be

installed by default which will not and so on...and by that I mean that you can

have 10 guys in the same room with 10 Omnias and they can all be totally

different in all kinds of ways...firmwares...looks...feels...everything...

In iPhone case its pretty much the same all over...

Third...GPS navigation...well it was three months that I saw that the TomTom

will arrive for iPhone and I still didn't see it available for download trough iTunes...

After tree months there was only Navigon 1.0 for download...later a 1.1 version

was released and still no TomTom...GPS is a very important aspect of a phone

that has a GPS chip built into it...otherwise they could have left it out...

I had the Navigon...and compared to iGO it was like...I have no word for this

comparison...iGO is just a professional GPS guidance software...Navigon is also

but try both and you'll understand...

Fourth...multimedia...no further comment...camera...sound quality...phone's

speaker loudness...it just doesn't compare in any way...Omnia is 10x better...

Fifth...storage...in iPhone you just get what you buy...no latter upgrades...

or replacements...I have my Omnia (8GB) and I have a few microSD cards

which I exchange according to what I want and use...not to mention that

32 GB microSD cards are already available (maybe expensive for now but not

for long)...

All in all if you want something to use just as a phone...then iPhone is for

you...you wont even need iTunes except for upgrading firmware...

But if you need something to customize...play with...for taking pictures on

the go...even for car navigation purposes you'll be better off with Omnia...

Guest le.bouch

Now I have Omnia...

I'm speechless. I would be interested to know how many other people have junked an iPhone for an Omnia!

and it isn't important...

That for me was one of the most important things, I suppose. From a touch-screen phone ;)

GPS navigation...well it was three months that I saw that the TomTom

will arrive for iPhone and I still didn't see it available for download trough iTunes...

Check again :angry:

Either you have a different Omnia to me, I have a different iPhone to you (actually I think I do - 3GS), or I am blind and deaf!

Agreed. Apple missed the boat by a mile on this one. Although 32GB is not to be sniffed at.

you... But if you need something to customize... etc... you'll be better off with Omnia...

I can't agree. Frankly I'm still staggered by your first paragraph :D

I found that amongst other things, as a phone the Omnia was awful. That bloody increasing ring tone!!

But whatever works for each of us. Peace.

Guest saznpins

I have had an Omnia since last September, when I joined this great board :D The support here and the great chefs have made it a really nice device that I have very much enjoyed using.

I was tempted by the iPhone 3Gs myself when it came out, it's a very slick device with a lot of fun apps (and I have kids so fun apps are a definite plus!) But I held off because my original Omnia is still a great device... and last week I jumped to the Omnia II mainly for the beautiful, responsive screen and it was a great choice for me. I like WM for the business stuff I need to do and movies for the kids look great on the O2.

To the OP, enjoy your new iPhone and I hope it lives up to everything you want it to be :angry:

Guest stylus1828

I've owned an omnia from december 2008 and tomorrow I'm gonna trade it for a brand new HTC touch pro. Cant wait to get my hands on that device! :angry: So goodbye omnia, you were a great device! :D

Guest smoothcrooner
Hi,

Now I have Omnia...

Anyone who ever tried the iPhone and used it for at least a year knows this...

But sadly that is the only PRO that an iPhone has over Omnia...

The CONS...well I don't know where to start...and it isn't important...

I'm not trying to dish the phone that I used for almost 2 years but in the end

if the iPhone indeed was the best phone out there I wouldn't switch to a phone

that runs WM and has inferior screen response.

Major downfall of the iPhone in my opinion is iTunes...I mean you pay for your

phone...and the only place that you can play with your phone is iTunes...

First day I arrived home with my iPhone I jailbreaked it so that it may be usefull

without any other purchases of some applications...yeah there are a lot of free

ones but you can install hundreds of them and you'll never end up using them.

I bet that anyone that switches from WM phone to an iPhone will be at least

50% disappointed with the phone just because of iTunes...but enough with the

iPhone...I'll say the things I like now about my Omnia...

First..I can go at any of my friends computers that doesn't have a WiFi network

and connect the phone to a PC via cable...and that computer doesn't have to

install any type of software so that I can add some music/movies/pictures...

Second... I can flash my phone with any type of ROM that I found on the net

(mostly here on modaco) or that I make for myself...choose what apps will be

installed by default which will not and so on...and by that I mean that you can

have 10 guys in the same room with 10 Omnias and they can all be totally

different in all kinds of ways...firmwares...looks...feels...everything...

In iPhone case its pretty much the same all over...

Third...GPS navigation...well it was three months that I saw that the TomTom

After tree months there was only Navigon 1.0 for download...later a 1.1 version

was released and still no TomTom...GPS is a very important aspect of a phone

that has a GPS chip built into it...otherwise they could have left it out...

I had the Navigon...and compared to iGO it was like...I have no word for this

comparison...iGO is just a professional GPS guidance software...Navigon is also

but try both and you'll understand...

or replacements...I have my Omnia (8GB) and I have a few microSD cards

which I exchange according to what I want and use...not to mention that

32 GB microSD cards are already available (maybe expensive for now but not

for long)...

you...you wont even need iTunes except for upgrading firmware...

But if you need something to customize...play with...for taking pictures on

the go...even for car navigation purposes you'll be better off with Omnia...

I agree with you totally on all the points you've highlighted.

My girlfriend has an iPhone 3gs, working her way up from the iPhone and the iPhone 3g and there is no way on God's earth I'm going to swap my Omnia for the iPhone.

It still baffles me why people buy a WM phone in the first place without doing any ounce of research on what Windows Mobile is all about and then come on forums such as this just to spew crap. If you want a dumb phone, with no tweaking, then buy an iPhone, simple.

Guest smoothcrooner
What actually frustrated me was the availability of choice which I found ultimately led nowhere. Very true, no-one forced me to try every ROM but if the original is rubbish and each subsequent one only a slight improvement I felt almost obliged to try them, having invested so much time (and money) thus far.

I did say that my findings probably spoke more about me than the Omnia. But.... however limited the iPhone feature set is, it does what it does well. Which is more than I can say about my Omnia, whatever flavour of Winmo I shove in it.

Every one who digs Winmo constantly seems to bang on about the Copy Paste thing. We all know that Apple were years behind with that one but having used Copy and Paste on the Winmo interface I would much rather do it on the iPhone. Elegant simplicity. Not farting about with your finger nail or stylus.

That's not the point. I didn't want my screen to look like an iPhone - I wanted it to respond like one.

Very true. I found it too time-intensive to wade through that though. I'm fully aware of the Apple locked-in attitued to the App Store and I think that sucks. But from an end-user point of view it does work really well.

I'm with you on all of that apart from the camera. I haven't found much end difference between the two - I much prefer the interface on the iPhone. I do miss the panorama feature on the Omnia though...

That's interesting. I'm in no way a techo-newb and I've found the iPhone a breath of fresh air. I drew a simile with music technology in my OP and stand by that. Sometimes it's nice to move away from a pile of impressive electronic specs and turn to something that only does a few things but does them really well.

I can't argue that on paper the Omnia and WinMo kick the iPhone's arse but it's how that technology is delivered that's important. Ultimately I was left feeling that the Omnia and especially Winmo is a bit of a mess.

Mr. le.bouch

I've just read through the five pages on this subject so far and I have one question for you; Did you actually do your research on Windows Mobile before you actually bought your Omnia?

Some of your points where, oh, Windows Mobile is too bloated, some of the processes involved are too longwinded, things are not as simple as they can be, blah, blah, blah. All I can say is that a little bit of researh on your part in the first place would saved you a LOT of those valuable time of yours. RESEARCH, RESEARCH AND RESEARCH some more in the future, uh, and leave us complicated dudes with our sad lives and WM phones.

Ohh, we will miss you.

Guest le.bouch
Ohh, we will miss you.

LMAO. It's a phone. I haven't insulted your partner. So much for the mature debate. To the others who joined in - thanks and best wishes. :D

Guest mario.omnia
I'm speechless. I would be interested to know how many other people have junked an iPhone for an Omnia!

That for me was one of the most important things, I suppose. From a touch-screen phone :angry:

Check again :D

Either you have a different Omnia to me, I have a different iPhone to you (actually I think I do - 3GS), or I am blind and deaf!

1. Just to remind you...I bought the 2G...then I bought the 3G....(2 phones)...and then they made the 3Gs...lets face it they could have made the 3Gs in the first place...but still the 3Gs is not top notch in the mobile phone industry...and did you know that 2G iPhone still doesn't support PUSH mail even tough it has EDGE and the options under email settings...

2. I did check it and it seems that TomTom is out on iTunes (at last)...only a shame it is for north america...but hey you'll get used to that kind of philosophy from Apple...oh when did WM had their GPS turn-by-turn navigation??

3. 3Gs...hehe...finally you've got a middle class camera (face it 3.2 mpix with autofocus is only a lower/middle class camera today) but hey that's the flag ship phone from Apple...you'll get used to things like that...

And now for something I forgot in the first post...

MULTITASKING

...2G...3G...3Gs...who knows how many more till they include that in the OS...

BTW can you change your email sound out of the box...

Hey...we can discuss like this all day...some phones are just not for everybody...

Not everyone likes the same color of a car for an example...not everyone likes the same manufacturer of a car...

If iPhone fulfills your needs or at least the most of them I suggest you buy it...

I personally switched because of camera, GPS navigation and iTunes...and also didn't like the fact if I wanted to exchange my battery I had to take my phone to service shop...

You'll be able to judge the differences after at least 6 months of iPhone usage...when the initial hype of buying the iPhone passes...than you'll be able to say which is better in the things you want from a phone...

I hope for your sake that you'll be glad you've bought the iPhone...

Guest smoothcrooner
1. Just to remind you...I bought the 2G...then I bought the 3G....(2 phones)...and then they made the 3Gs...lets face it they could have made the 3Gs in the first place...but still the 3Gs is not top notch in the mobile phone industry...and did you know that 2G iPhone still doesn't support PUSH mail even tough it has EDGE and the options under email settings...

2. I did check it and it seems that TomTom is out on iTunes (at last)...only a shame it is for north america...but hey you'll get used to that kind of philosophy from Apple...oh when did WM had their GPS turn-by-turn navigation??

3. 3Gs...hehe...finally you've got a middle class camera (face it 3.2 mpix with autofocus is only a lower/middle class camera today) but hey that's the flag ship phone from Apple...you'll get used to things like that...

And now for something I forgot in the first post...

MULTITASKING

...2G...3G...3Gs...who knows how many more till they include that in the OS...

BTW can you change your email sound out of the box...

Hey...we can discuss like this all day...some phones are just not for everybody...

Not everyone likes the same color of a car for an example...not everyone likes the same manufacturer of a car...

If iPhone fulfills your needs or at least the most of them I suggest you buy it...

I personally switched because of camera, GPS navigation and iTunes...and also didn't like the fact if I wanted to exchange my battery I had to take my phone to service shop...

You'll be able to judge the differences after at least 6 months of iPhone usage...when the initial hype of buying the iPhone passes...than you'll be able to say which is better in the things you want from a phone...

I hope for your sake that you'll be glad you've bought the iPhone...

Hi mario.omnia,

I concur with everything you have said. Speaking from experience, my girlfriend has the iPhone 3gs and she has had one form of the iPhone for the last couple of years or so, she is sometimes baffled by the power of the omnia. And she is so jealous of the constant customisation I'm able to do my Omnia.

Guest auddie

A great thread le.bouch!

The thing about freedom of choice is the freedom to be well informed or blissfully ignorant and of course, any variant in between.

Yes, I am an Apple hater. I couldn't tell you why any more than I could walk on the water. Maybe it's in my DNA. :D

My Daughter has a 3GS, her third iPhone. I go made with envy with she shows me how quick it is, the video's, app store and depth of usability.

Somehow my HTC HD doesn't match up. And I too get a kick out of flashing ROM after ROM, although I have found a great version I've stayed with so far for a whole week.

But, I've decided to go with the Omnia 2 for reasons that suite me: Music format & my choice of player; camera with flash, particularly the much ballyhooed DVD quality video; external storage (micro SD); and (I should be ashamed) because it's not an Apple.

In any event...congratulations to each of us for making a decision, informed or not, for certain or not, because ultimately, we have ourselves to thank or blame.

Personally I'll be doing some patting on my own back. :angry:

Guest FabMaurice

WinMo is horrible.

Samsung didnt do a good enough customisation job with the Omnia before releasing it. The 3rd party skins/shells helps a lot. But bottomline, fresh out of box Omnia with winmobile 6.1, sucks big time.

Samsung attempted to smoothen out the bugs and lags of Omnia with Omnia 2. They made great progress in the area of responsiveness (less lag). They attempted to give it a nicer UI, but the 3rd party skins/shells that worked on Omnia were still better. The Omnia 2 i tried, took out the Samsung phonepad, meaning messages can only be typed using qwerty keypad layout, which to me is way too slow.

Until Winmo fix themselves, i will never go near a winmo phone. When my mobile contract ends, i'd just walk straight into the stall and get a iphone3GS without even the need to think.

It's embarrassing to get a phone and installing skins to look or behave like it's another phone. I find it disgusting.

But still it was some learning using my first smartphone, albeit a very frustrating one.

Guest le.bouch
A great thread le.bouch!

Thanks, although it seems to have upset a couple of people :D

In any event...congratulations to each of us for making a decision, informed or not, for certain or not, because ultimately, we have ourselves to thank or blame.

How true! I'm not defending the iPhone (or especially Apple) 'til the death. No doubt when my contract expires I'll move on again, maybe another iPhone, maybe the Omnia IV ;)

The whole point of this thread was to reach out to other Omnia owners who were maybe considering the dark side, with perhaps a little discussion en route. Just to say,

"D'you know what? That new iPhone is actually pretty good and you may find it ticks the boxes for some of you Omnia / Winmo users who'd previously ruled the iPhone out.."

It's weird though - people get steamed and then defend the indefensible :angry:

Guest le.bouch
WinMo is horrible... fresh out of box Omnia with winmobile 6.1, sucks big time.... Until Winmo fix themselves, i will never go near a winmo phone.... It's embarrassing to get a phone and installing skins to look or behave like it's another phone.... it was some learning, using my first smartphone, albeit a very frustrating one.

The great thing about Winmo is that it's almost Open Source in the way that people (cleverer than me) can tinker with it and make it do anything.

The awful, boring, relentless, Groundhog Day thing about it is that it doesn't work properly. For me. IMHO, of course.

I was viewing a web page on my iPhone today and thought how useful it would be to be able to send the page to my Bluetooth printer. Being locked-down by Apple, there is of course no chance of that.

Conversely, I'm sure that Winmo can do it, and if it can't some clever-dick could make it do it. But at what cost? Install a little app that enables Bluetooth printing, but with small print telling you that it also disables the WLAN which requires a restart each time you use it :D Cue much internet research to solve this issue. But wait, someone else has made a ROM which fixes this! Back up, download, install, re-install. Excellent! But then this ROM has a GPS bug :angry: Cue much internet research to solve this issue. But wait, someone else has made a ROM....

And so it goes on. The above paragraph is of course not factual but an example of how I ended up feeling. Exhausted ;)

Guest scoiattolo
WinMo is horrible.

Samsung didnt do a good enough customisation job with the Omnia before releasing it.

They rushed (one year ago) Omnia on the market to compete with the iphone 3G . The sowtware was still unfinished and they did little to correct it after.

Samsung were quick to abandon Omnia and move to other products.

This ruled out for me to buy another Samsung phone

Until Winmo fix themselves, i will never go near a winmo phone.

From the look of wm 6.5, Microsoft still is a very LONG way to reach iphone (or even Android), on terms of user friendly.

Regards from a now very happy :D iphone user,

... missing a bit this forum and the cocked room flashing frenzee :angry:

Guest GodsGift
.. missing a bit this forum and the cocked room flashing frenzee

have to admit, I do love my omnia and am aware of all its shortcomings and have also considered an iPhone 3GS (with Cut and Paste etc woop woop ... lol)

But wot would I do at work all day if I couldnt customize or reflash my phone. Where would I get the excitement of realising Sector has released a new rom or finding imarch/spb have released an update.

I search for newer free winmo apps daily and then with each rom there is a better version pre installed.

Sector / Shocka / Quanchai etc (sorry if i missed ya) are genius' and whilst I know it has faults if I moved to the "dark side" I miss this forum and you guys ...

cue violins

anyhow ... I think win mo is improving and the omnia is getting better and better but think I will jump to a sony ericsson saito(?) in Oct/Nov for the USB Micro and 3.5 mm jack.

Great thread though.

GG

BTW people will always defend their choices .. I know Omnia has flaws but I will defend it coz I know what I was getting into .. Win Mo and all.

I didnt buy an iphone for the same reason i didnt read the last Harry Potter book... Too much hype and research made me realise it werent all that!

Guest le.bouch
I didn't buy an iphone for the same reason i didn't read the last Harry Potter book... Too much hype and research made me realise it weren't all that!

Now THAT'S funny!

Now THAT'S funny!

I didn't buy an iPhone as I like the freedom to do what I wish with my own phone - not have to 'Jailbreak' it and not be tied down to the manufacturer (oh and I refuse to buy anything with an Apple badge on it - why get an iPod when there are far better 'open' MP3 players out there).

Sure the Omnia is far from perfect and it has annoyed the hell out of me at times - but it is unlocked, open and customisable. WinMo has the whole ROM cooking community to back it up and paper over the cracks which has been mentioned. Never tried Android, Symbian seems further behind the times than WinMo (N97 is a case and point) and the iPhone is locked to Apple - so WinMo it is.

If people like their iPhones and hang on Apple's every word then that's their choice - just not for me.

WinMo 6.5.1 is a huge improvement but roll on WinMo 7 :D

Edited by Guest

Guest le.bouch
If people like their iPhones and hang on Apple's every word then that's their choice - just not for me.

I refer to my earlier post. Why is it that people who choose not to buy Apple think that those who do have been blinkered, somehow conned?

Sure the iPhone is a mass-market product but then so is Sky+, and that's awesome.

Hanging on Apple's every word? You gotta be kidding! There is no moral or tech-geek, oh-so-knowing high ground in choosing Winmo over iPhone, or vice versa. We are not choosing a religion, people! It's just a bloody phone.

Rant off.

Guest le.bouch
Not to mention that we will soon (<3 months, I think) have a working version of Android on our Omnia's anyway. :angry:

But the Omnia will still be cursed by that awful, easily marked, hesitant screen and stupid stylus, unless Android will lose that totally? Touch screen phone with lousy touch screen? Makes no sense to persevere with it, to me. :D

Guest arirang
But the Omnia will still be cursed by that awful, easily marked, hesitant screen and stupid stylus, unless Android will lose that totally? Touch screen phone with lousy touch screen? Makes no sense to persevere with it, to me. :D

since you've stopped using the omnia i910, the latest WM6.5 branch [23037] is porting VERY well to it [both naked and skinned]. it's handling these enhancements/advancements without breaking a sweat. you cant say that for other makes/models [iphone, HTC] where ROM upgrades/software updates press the hardware beyond its limits.

it's like i noted in previous posting--the omnia is a fr*ggin' chameleon AND a brute!

Guest bornl33t
... i'd just walk straight into the stall and get a iphone3GS without even the need to think.

That is the premise of the Iphone right? NO need to think?

I'm often asked "what phone should I go with" and after 3 questions I can usually tell is a person is smart enough for a smart phone or an iphone. Usually people want the iphone and just want confirmation that it's what they want. (typical iphone user) All jokes aside, it's not a bad phone at all. In some ways it's caused completion. And we all know the winner in a competition is always the consumer.