Toshiba TG01 Memory Card Corruption

Guest David Strange

Guest David Strange

Hi there,

Over the past few days strange things have been happening on my storage card. Files with names like have been appearing (which I am unable to delete), I appear to have two folders named Program Files which contain exactly the same stuff and My Documents has vanished. Odd. Any ideas?

Cheers,

David.

Guest oalex
Hi there,

Over the past few days strange things have been happening on my storage card. Files with names like have been appearing (which I am unable to delete), I appear to have two folders named Program Files which contain exactly the same stuff and My Documents has vanished. Odd. Any ideas?

Cheers,

David.

Sounds like its something similar to the virus rumors that affected the german devices. SinSilla can give you more info on that. Write him a PM or something.

Guest clmnw
Sounds like its something similar to the virus rumors that affected the german devices. SinSilla can give you more info on that. Write him a PM or something.

do you have the handset from O2 Germany or Orange UK. I thought the virus was something in the O2 rom only.

I have mine from Orange UK, and as I had battery issues I had my device replaced, but with both devices I had also major issues with the flash cards (different Toshiba 8gb SDHC cards with each device)

the issue I experience is lots of lost clusters and eventually lossing 4gb of Program Files folder on my flash. I have three ideas if why this is happening:

1. there is a flaw in the design of TG01 or the new generation CPU - can't do anything about it but hope it's not it

2. all Toshiba 8GB SDHC cards sold with TG01 are defective - I bought SanDisk 16GB class 4 card - so far so good (wm benchmarking shows it's much faster than Toshiba's)

3. there's an issue with force closing / soft reseting resulting in lost clusters and fat table damage / loss of files and folders

now that I've got SanDisk instead of Toshiba for flash I can try (after full backup) whether force closing and soft reset works again. I've also purchased Eset's mobile antivirus and it cannot find any issues.

Edited by clmnw

Guest bbmalver

[Repost from another Thread, sorry if you've already read it!]

I think the SD cards thay have bundled with the TG01 are Cheap Crappy ones!

Data transfer has always been slow, however, for no discernable reason (i.e, not connected to anything, not running any programs, and unit in Standby), i switch on the phone and access File Manager,

and lo and behold, the File Structure is messed up!; folders missing, mp3's out of their music folder, and the dreaded square box!. I run virus check,; no virus found. Try to access SD card;

it's no longer detectable! Disconnect from PC, Card can now be located, however more files are missing; 72MB visible (although space used is still at original size of 7+ GB).

No change at all to Phone or Icons! Only thing to do is format and reload, which will be temporary for me anyway, as i will now have to upgrade to a 16GB and toss the supplied one!

This post has been edited by bbmalver: Today, 20:28

Edited by bbmalver

Guest clmnw
[Repost from another Thread, sorry if you've already read it!]

I think the SD cards thay have bundled with the TG01 are Cheap Crappy ones!

Data transfer has always been slow, however, for no discernable reason (i.e, not connected to anything, not running any programs, and unit in Standby), i switch on the phone and access File Manager,

and lo and behold, the File Structure is messed up!; folders missing, mp3's out of their music folder, and the dreaded square box!. I run virus check,; no virus found. Try to access SD card;

it's no longer detectable! Disconnect from PC, Card can now be located, however more files are missing; 72MB visible (although space used is still at original size of 7+ GB).

No change at all to Phone or Icons! Only thing to do is format and reload, which will be temporary for me anyway, as i will now have to upgrade to a 16GB and toss the supplied one!

This post has been edited by bbmalver: Today, 20:28

sounds like we can blame it on the cards..

Guest clmnw

Further to my previous tests and findings, I can now confirm for sure that the Toshiba 8GB flash cards that come with the TG01 (or t least 2 out of 2 devices and flash cards I got from Orange UK) are having some serious issues and I would recommend to everyone to buy a separate card (I suggest 16GB SanDisk class 4).

I have switched back on force closing and soft reset and with the SanDisk card I don't have any issues with the TG01 anymore.

Further to that, I was hoping I could use the Toshiba 8GB flash cards for something else, but only after an hour or so of use (outside TG01) with some pretty normal uses like copying and editing of files, I got corrupted files, directories and lost data.

Be very very careful if you decide to stick with the Toshiba cards.

TG01 is a wonderful device, with huge potential, but the cards included are pure rubbish.

Guest David Strange

I use a Sandisk 16GB card which used to grace my Xperia. No problems on the Xperia but this weird behaviour on the TG01. If these type of things happen any more I'll try a new microsdhc card.

Guest xdalover

Here in Spain most of the TG01 distributed by TELEFONICA have had the know mistake of been formatted as 1Gb.

Besides, a few people has denounced problems as reported here. We have recommended reformat as FAT using this official tool:

Panasonic SDFormatter Utility v2.0

You can download it on:

http://www.r4ds-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=982

Try it before considering that problems are caused for an SD card hardware issue...it's free...

Guest barny stumble
Hi there,

Cheers,

David.

Hi folks, just thought I would update you with a few issues I'v had re the memory cards. I've used the ones supplied by Toshiba, (not the best) but also a Sandisk 16GB and 8GB, and both suffered corruption issues. It took about a hour to copy most of the files over to my laptop, and to do that, I had to put the mem card in my Touch Pro! I'm not sure what this means, as some people have said they have had no issues. It would be interesting to see what proportion of us actually suffer from memory card corruption using other brands! Looks like I may have to carry a backup of my mem card for a while!!... :)

Guest badaas
Hi folks, just thought I would update you with a few issues I'v had re the memory cards. I've used the ones supplied by Toshiba, (not the best) but also a Sandisk 16GB and 8GB, and both suffered corruption issues. It took about a hour to copy most of the files over to my laptop, and to do that, I had to put the mem card in my Touch Pro! I'm not sure what this means, as some people have said they have had no issues. It would be interesting to see what proportion of us actually suffer from memory card corruption using other brands! Looks like I may have to carry a backup of my mem card for a while!!... :)

i had an I/O error earlier copying to sandisk 8gb via usb lead to tg01, i noticed it failed when the screen light went off/dimmed. maybe the power settings on tg01 intefere with transfer?

Guest clmnw

I can confirm that I am also having issues with my Sandisk 16GB card, that I bought to replace Toshiba's. I thought it's all about the cards, but now we have to put blame to TG01 as well.

I've been on Toshiba's site with hope of a patch/fix release, but there isn't such.

In MoDaCo you have had forums (still have) for other Toshiba phones. Do you know whether someone technical from Toshiba is being interested in reading the issues we're having. This seems like a major bug, come on, we cannot backup and restore all our phones every now and again. Toshiba need to make a fix on this as soon as possible. Someone knows how to contact them?

I had the same issue with corrupted memory card with duplicate folders, boxes appearing in place of directory names and missing folders. Worst ws one of the missing folders was my DCIM folder containing all my photos.

I do not believe its a memory card issue as this card had worked for 18months without a problem in my TYTN II.

My hunch is that it was caused by switching the USB from Activesync to mass storage mode.

Did anyone else here also use mass stroage mode?

Less likely but possible causes is I experimented with Toshibas supplied cable for USB host mode and attached a USB memory stick. I noted that the files on the memory card were corrupted with the USB stick plugged in, but went back to normal when I unplugged and restarted the device...

Guest leeston2379

I had this problem recently to. I have never used mass storeage, only activesync. I have pluged my camera in to the phone before to get the images from it (works as a pen drive) but didn't suffer the problems after doing so.

On the day of the corruption my phone would not start properly and after many soft resets i had error messages relating to gwes.exe (though this happened after installing SRS wow and stopped after uninstalling it). I have used the pannasonic format utillity described in one of the above posts and have had no problems in the 4 days since, however it took 4 weeks for the problem to manafest itself in my device.

Guest David Strange

My storage card (a different one this time) has just gone tits up again. All of my files went. Seems like there is a definite problem with the TG01 and how it deals with memory cards. Bugger.

My storage card (a different one this time) has just gone tits up again. All of my files went. Seems like there is a definite problem with the TG01 and how it deals with memory cards. Bugger.

so did mine as well... I had to shut down, and upon booting I found that neither my email worked nor my sms, so I did a scandisk to find that lots of lost clusters and directory structure had been broken, all after a fully normal shut down with all applications closed beforehand.

this starts to be really annoying... my latest assumption was (since my Messaging application was messed up), that I have to move my messaging storage back to the main drive not the flash card and try to keep my attachments to minimum or do a cleanup as often as possible. After I deleted my messed flash card Inbox...xxx.. folders and moved messaging back to main drive, so far everything seems to be working (until next time...)

Guest David Strange

In view of the fact that the microSD cards of many of us seem to be going tits up, does anyone know of a good backup program that'll back up the SD card to a desktop regularly?

In view of the fact that the microSD cards of many of us seem to be going tits up, does anyone know of a good backup program that'll back up the SD card to a desktop regularly?

SPB Backup / Resco Backup

I am using the first one, so far have only been making backups, haven't restored yet, but I'm sure with the way TG01 works I'll have that chance quite soon. Doing backups quite often.

Guest xdalover

I've tested a lot and my favourite has always been Sprite Backup

Has anyone tried to contact Toshiba to see if they know about this? The more of us who do th more likely this will be fixed.

Contact us

We're always happy to receive your enquiries and you can contact us as follows:

Technical Support Queries

Tel: 008000 505 2006 (International free phone number)

Tel: 0044 207 111 0990 0044 207 111 0990 (Please use this number if your country or operator does not support the free phone number)

Email: [email protected]

Guest bbmalver
Has anyone tried to contact Toshiba to see if they know about this? The more of us who do th more likely this will be fixed.

Contact us

We're always happy to receive your enquiries and you can contact us as follows:

Technical Support Queries

Tel: 008000 505 2006 (International free phone number)

Tel: 0044 207 111 0990 0044 207 111 0990 (Please use this number if your country or operator does not support the free phone number)

Email: [email protected]

Thanks for the address; have sent them a message re: data & sluggish performance issues

Guest barny stumble
I've tested a lot and my favourite has always been Sprite Backup

Thanks for the address; have sent them a message re: data & sluggish performance issues

;) My memory card got corrupted again!! Soooo glad I used Sprite Backup to do a backup to my card :) , and THEN copied the WHOLE memory card to my laptop!!! I spoke to my provider who have said they have had nothing as yet from Toshiba, but then again what can my provider do, if the issue is with the phone? I'm really hoping this can be sorted out, as I lost a whole lot of photos I had taken over the weekend ;) ! (Well how was I to know I need to back up EVERY night?) Well at least its all back now, and working..........

Here's hoping anyway, apart from these issues, the phones spot on!!!

Guest xdalover
<_< My memory card got corrupted again!! Soooo glad I used Sprite Backup to do a backup to my card :) , and THEN copied the WHOLE memory card to my laptop!!! I spoke to my provider who have said they have had nothing as yet from Toshiba, but then again what can my provider do, if the issue is with the phone? I'm really hoping this can be sorted out, as I lost a whole lot of photos I had taken over the weekend ;) ! (Well how was I to know I need to back up EVERY night?) Well at least its all back now, and working..........

Here's hoping anyway, apart from these issues, the phones spot on!!!

Dont TOUCH anything !!! You can still recover all the information from the card. I had the same issue and belive me, all the information can be recovered if you DON't format again!!

You can use a great recovery software for USB memories. You have to use a USB card reader attached to your PC. I use DATA DOCTOR RECOVERY PEN DRIVE rev 3.0.1.5 from www.datadoctor.in

The only issue is that some folders lose the original name. But I think that this is a minor problem if you can recover all your pictures!! ;)

Good Luck!!

Edited by xdalover

Guest barny stumble
Dont TOUCH anything !!! You can still recover all the information from the card. I had the same issue and belive me, all the information can be recovered if you DON't format again!!

You can use a great recovery software for USB memories. You have to use a USB card reader attached to your PC. I use DATA DOCTOR RECOVERY PEN DRIVE rev 3.0.1.5 from www.datadoctor.in

The only issue is that some folders lose the original name. But I think that this is a minor problem if you can recover all your pictures!! :)

Good Luck!!

Too late! ;) But at least I know what to do if it happens again... :-* 

Phone seems to be fine though, as did this post on it... Shame it could go belly up at any time ;)

Guys, take my advice on this ... I've had plenty of flash card issues, and I haven't had one for few days now... after I moved back my Messaging/email storage/attachment storage to my main drive. Everyone's initial thought would be to move it to the flash because it's a bigger storage, but my experience so far, points that most of the lost clusters I was getting was around the Inbox... folders on my flash drive.

Do check whether you've made this change for attachments storage (Messaging/Options/Storage) and uncheck the 'When available, use this storage card to store attachments'. Give it a week and lets see whether this is the issue. Works for me, so far. The only other thing I've done that might have affected anything with the issue, I've installed MemMaid and had done cleanup of missing links, broken registries and had optimized the device for speed.

Guest barny stumble

I wish that were the case, but I've had mine set to save to main memory for the last two handsets! It's a bit of a lottrey it seems!