Toshiba TG01 Memory Card Corruption

Guest David Strange

Guest Neil5459

Just to add my late 2 pennorth to this topic!

I've come back today from 2 weeks holiday in Italy- the last 13 days of which were without any music, ebooks, satnav etc as I suffered this corruption on my Transcend 16GB Class 6 card on day 2. Oly 2 folders showing, both with asii characters in the names and both undeletable. You can guess how annoyed I was, and no access to Wifi or a PC to get anything back apart from a few ebooks i9 was able to re-download. Thankfully, ALL my programs were installed to main memory, so I didn't lose my Italian dictionary or Spb Finance :)

I'd already had a corruption on the 2nd day I had the TG01 while installing SBSH Weather, but blamed the program at the time.

A friend of mine is testing another Snapdragon device (I can't say which one) and has had exactly the same problem, so it could be an architecture problem.

Guest barny stumble

:angry: I dont believe it!! My card got corrupted TWICE today. You have got to be kidding me... Is it worth Hanging on to this phone until Toshiba send out an update? Very good question, and one that I'm thinking long and hard about. !! :D

Guest LeSScro

I ve got too storage corruption ! After some investigations :

1 - remove messaging use Storage card...

2 - I don't use Actyve sync or Windows Mobile center

3 - No problem since, i use this method...

4 - But the Toshiba MicroSd is a piece Of s*** !

5 - I want buy a Sandisk 16 Go classe 6...

Feedback after new test !

But in my advise, all corruption problem appear after Syncro with WM Device center !

Guest Neil5459
I ve got too storage corruption ! After some investigations :

1 - remove messaging use Storage card...

2 - I don't use Actyve sync or Windows Mobile center

3 - No problem since, i use this method...

4 - But the Toshiba MicroSd is a piece Of s*** !

5 - I want buy a Sandisk 16 Go classe 6...

Feedback after new test !

But in my advise, all corruption problem appear after Syncro with WM Device center !

I don't think that's the whole story, though your #1 is always relevant for SD cards- the operating system sometimes doesn't initialise the card by the time it tests locations at startup. This doesn't apply to devices with fixed internal memory like the Diamond, X75** and Omnia etc.

I don't use Activesync/WMDC much at all as I keep all installation files as CABs and use an Exchange Server for PIM data. Both my corruptions have occurred when the TG01 has been working independently.

Corruption #1: Occurred while installing SBSH Weather to the SD card from a CAB file. The device soft reset in the middle and the corruption was present at reset. I don't know if the SR caused or was a result of the corruption.

Corruption #2: While on holiday. Was listening to music over headphones and reading a WikiPedia article using Tomeraider. Music and Wikipedia files were on SD card and PocketTunes and Tomeraider in main memory. Wiki file is 3.3GB. I switched back to Pocket Tunes to adjust volume, then switched back to Tomeraider at which point I got an empty file chooser list and the SD card had corrupted.

Wizcode Data Recovery and SK Tools were unable to effect any repair.

Guest LeSScro
I don't think that's the whole story, though your #1 is always relevant for SD cards- the operating system sometimes doesn't initialise the card by the time it tests locations at startup. ...

Thx for feedback experience... with more feedback we can identify exactly the problem...

:D

Guest Neil5459

I reported this problem to Toshiba Support and have had the following reply:

Dear Sir,

We do not support any third party applications, so if these apps are causing the issue on your handset, we are not able to do much about it. The only real test we could perform is to hard reset the phone, and investigate if the issue occurs using only the in built applications.

If you are in communication with other people experiencing this issue, I would urge them to contact us. If this is indeed a bug or error inside the handset, the more people who report it, the faster a fix will be made available.

In the meantime, if your card is now usable again, I would monitor the situation further, and if it happens again, follow the above steps of hard resetting the handset and using the default software for a while, to eliminate the possibility they are interfering.

which is helpful as far as it goes.

Please could anyone else who has seen this issue also send an email outlining the problem to : [email protected]

In the meantime I've stickied this topic and changed its title (hope that's OK David, as the topic starter?) so it might get picked up by anyone else googling the problem :D

Guest badaas

if it's snapdragon architecture, is that a hotfix or a recall as it's chip embedded?

curious as i bought my handset off ebay, even though i am with orange. if recalled i might be buggered :D

Guest Neil5459

I'm the same :D Long standing Orange customer but bought my TG01 off Ebay.

I doubt there will be any hardware fix requirement- even if it is related to the Snapdragon I suspect a hotfix will be sufficient.

Guest David Strange

Neil, if I were in your position and the data on my phone went tits up two days into a holiday I would be smoldering with fury.

It is an odd bug. Twice today folders have gone missing on my storage card and files with weird names have appeared. I've put the card in the card reader on my desktop to format and restore files and, lo and behold, all the directories are back. They stayed back when I put the card back in the TG01.

I do really like the phone: the display is excellent and it is a really responsive phone. However, having to back the storage card up every few days (and when I go away I will carry a backup 16GB storage card with me) is a serious drag. These days things should just work, you shouldn't have to take account of flakey technology.

Cheers,

David.

Guest Neil5459

I agree- it's still uncertain whether this is a Toshiba or a Snaprdragon problem. Have you emailed Toshiba Support with your experiences? The more of us who do, the better :D

I'm currently running ALL programs installed to main memory and keeping the SD card for user files such as music, ebooks and Tomeraider files (including UK Wikipedia at 3.2GB!) so will see if that improves things.

It's important not to have messaging or browser caches set to store on the SD card- this has been known to cause problems on previous WinMo devices.

Guest i900french-addict

I have no problem anymore since I have a new 16Go micro SD card......and I've installed exactly the same applications as when I had problems!

I have no problem anymore since I have a new 16Go micro SD card......and I've installed exactly the same applications as when I had problems!

Can you tell us what the card is? Manufacturer and Class, thanks

I have had serveral problems with data corruption, lost of data etc... However its been ok for a week now, rather that format the card (Which I did everytime it happened previously) I just deleted the data off and started installation and file copies again. fingers crossed it doesnt happen again.

On a seperate note, I rang Orange handset faults today, and got told the flash memory card is not covered under any warranty or insurance; the operators diagnositics system (she was reading this out to me) if there is Lost of data on more than one occassion, advise customer the flash card is at fault, and to try another card.

As she could not replace my SDcard she credit my account with £20.00 :D and told me to purchase a new one as she didnt agree with me having to pay for new one as my phone is only 2 weeks old.

MB

Guest tycho43

Darn it, phones been working fine since i got it last week...and 1 hour ago first time ever...memory card corruption:(.

memory card is an 8 gig sandisk. (sold the toshiba one same day i got phone lol).

You gents emailing the standard toshiba support or a tg01 support address?

Thnx

Guest Neil5459
Darn it, phones been working fine since i got it last week...and 1 hour ago first time ever...memory card corruption:(.

memory card is an 8 gig sandisk. (sold the toshiba one same day i got phone lol).

You gents emailing the standard toshiba support or a tg01 support address?

Thnx

As above: Please could anyone else who has seen this issue also send an email outlining the problem to : [email protected]

They don't have a dedicated TG01 support system, but I've had a couple of helpful replies from someone at this address. Currently they are simply recommending using the device in 'vanilla' mode with no added programs, to see if it still happens. This is rather inconvenient but I can understand where they are coming from.

The more of us who report this, the more likely they will be to take it seriously. I've also pointed them at this topic, but I don't know if they will read it!

Guest badaas

Got my reply from Toshiba:

Dear Daniel

Thank you for contacting Toshiba Mobile Communications.

This is something I have heard of on one or two other devices, and so we are currently looking at this with a view to passing it on to our developers if more cases are received, or if we can recreate the problem.

Hopefully, it is not too widespread, or we can release a fix very soon.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again for further assistance and use the reference number found in the subject field for all enquiries.

Best Regards, Pete Whiteley

Toshiba Mobile Communications, T: 008000 505 2006 - International free phone number

T: 0044 207 111 0990 - Please use this number if your country does not support the free phone number

E: [email protected]

Edited by badaas

Guest tycho43

lol i was about to post my own exactly same response from toshiba...when i spotted urs...oddly has exactly same name at the dear part :D which made me think ......"have i already posted this???" lol

anywho sounds like we still need a few more peeps to email them, but at least there aware its an issue.

Dan

Guest badaas
lol i was about to post my own exactly same response from toshiba...when i spotted urs...oddly has exactly same name at the dear part :D which made me think ......"have i already posted this???" lol

anywho sounds like we still need a few more peeps to email them, but at least there aware its an issue.

Dan

hehe :angry: funny

Guest Neil5459

Hmm- this looks like a different email address to the one cited previously. Maybe we need to copy any messages to both!

[Edit: I've sent a copy of my messages- can't do any harm!]

SPB Backup / Resco Backup

I am using the first one, so far have only been making backups, haven't restored yet, but I'm sure with the way TG01 works I'll have that chance quite soon. Doing backups quite often.

I used SPB Backup 2 make full backups everytime I install a new app. So far only been sucessfully restored from one backup file. The others are all failed because the backup file verification failed. It's not reliable at all at least with TG01 anyway.

I am now looking for a new backup software to see if it works with TG01.

Guest Neil5459

Which version of Spb Backup are you using? Version 1 isn't compatibloe with Windows Mobile 6.1, but version 2 works OK.

I've used Spb Backup V2 successfully on my TG01 for both backup and restore without any issues.

Which version of Spb Backup are you using? Version 1 isn't compatibloe with Windows Mobile 6.1, but version 2 works OK.

I've used Spb Backup V2 successfully on my TG01 for both backup and restore without any issues.

it is spb backup v2, I don't know if it is the sd card whose causing the problem or the software itself.

I am now using resco backup, still a error message showing but at least I can restore my backup files.

I think I may invest on a new 16gb sd card to see if it makes my tg01 more stable.

Guest Neil5459

Could you have been afflicted by the SD card corruption? Are there any odd looking folder names on the card?

Most MicroSD cards are fairly robust, and a user format is never as good as a factory format, but it might be worth using the Panasonic formatter referenced earlier in this thread to see if that fixes the issue.

The supplied Toshiba card is a Class 2 card (max 2Mbps transfer); 16GB cards come in Class 2, 4 or 6 (2,4 or 6 Mbps max) at increasing price levels. I paid £45 for my Class 6 card, but it does seem to perform well, especially in Disk Drive mode.

Guest i900french-addict

Since my last post here saying it was OK with my new 16Go card, I'va had in fact a lot of problems!

After the usual corruption of the SD card like everyone, I had worse: my TG01 completly lost his ability to have a SD card !!

I mean there was no Storage card in my file explorer. I tried 3 different cards, 2 of them working perfectly in my Omnia and a brand new card: nothing in the file explorer.

I had to hard reset to fix the problem.

After 3 hard reset, I really wonder if everything installs the same way. After my 2nd har reset, my TG01 was very unstable (crashes, sleeping beauty, ...) and I had SD card problems the 1st day.

After my 3rd hard reset, it's more stable (I installed exactly the same applications and games on the same SD card as what I had before the hard reset). More: my volume is louder than ever (and I really don't know why, I don't use SRS WOW and did not install different applications than what I had after 2nd hard reset)

2 week without SD crash, when I often plug/unplug (as usual) sometimes 20 times a day for my tests on FpseCE.........

The only thing I do is to make sure the file explorer of the TG01 is not running (even in background, I use the task manager to really close it) before pluging to USB, and of course unplug the TG01 with the windows command of my PC before unplugging the cable.

One thing is sure: on the french TG01 forum, everyone is affected by this problem.....excepted one person, and we really can't determine why he has no problem when we have.

Edited by i900french-addict