Toshiba TG01 Memory Card Corruption

Guest David Strange

Guest badaas
Since my last post here saying it was OK with my new 16Go card, I'va had in fact a lot of problems!

After the usual corruption of the SD card like everyone, I had worse: my TG01 completly lost his ability to have a SD card !!

I mean there was no Storage card in my file explorer. I tried 3 different cards, 2 of them working perfectly in my Omnia and a brand new card: nothing in the file explorer.

I had to hard reset to fix the problem.

After 3 hard reset, I really wonder if everything installs the same way. After my 2nd har reset, my TG01 was very unstable (crashes, sleeping beauty, ...) and I had SD card problems the 1st day.

After my 3rd hard reset, it's more stable (I installed exactly the same applications and games on the same SD card as what I had before the hard reset). More: my volume is louder than ever (and I really don't know why, I don't use SRS WOW and did not install different applications than what I had after 2nd hard reset)

2 week without SD crash, when I often plug/unplug (as usual) sometimes 20 times a day for my tests on FpseCE.........

The only thing I do is to make sure the file explorer of the TG01 is not running (even in background, I use the task manager to really close it) before pluging to USB, and of course unplug the TG01 with the windows command of my PC before unplugging the cable.

One thing is sure: on the french TG01 forum, everyone is affected by this problem.....excepted one person, and we really can't determine why he has no problem when we have.

from what i've heard it's a TECHFAITH device and those guys just SUCK!

i notice when i plug into pc, Total Commander doesn't show the SD card, just vanishes!

i havent had any troubles apart from when i use TomTom and i resume a journey, it stops saying certain things lol :S

starting to feel like a sucker buying this device, but i wont buy TOSHiba again, especially once the 1Ghz HTCs hit town.

Edited by badaas

Guest i900french-addict
from what i've heard it's a TECHFAITH device and those guys just SUCK!

i notice when i plug into pc, Total Commander doesn't show the SD card, just vanishes!

i havent had any troubles apart from when i use TomTom and i resume a journey, it stops saying certain things lol :S

starting to feel like a sucker buying this device, but i wont buy TOSHiba again, especially once the 1Ghz HTCs hit town.

When you plug into pc, do you use activesync or mass storage? If it's mass storage, my omnia was the same, despite it was a very reliable device.

Sure that Snapdragon made by HTC will be better :D

But for now, the TG01 (when it works well....no problem for 2 weeks? I feel lucky lool) is clearly the most powerfull WinMo device around, the difference with the PXA624Mhz of my Omnia is really huge

Guest Neil5459

Are you sure you haven't got 'USB to PC' set to connect as Disk Drive rather than Activesync?

When set as a Disk Drive, the SD card is dismounted from the mobile OS so the PC gets exclusive access to it. This is normal behaviour for all WM6 devices onwards. It remounts when the PC connection is stopped.

Check if you can change the connection to Activesync then be able to view the SD card from within Windows Mobile.

Incidentally this is one of the causes of system crashes when system files like messaging or browser caches are set to use the SD card- when connected to the PC in disk drive mode the SD card effectively gets removed from the mobile so any read/write operations from the mobile OS will fail.

Guest badaas
Are you sure you haven't got 'USB to PC' set to connect as Disk Drive rather than Activesync?

When set as a Disk Drive, the SD card is dismounted from the mobile OS so the PC gets exclusive access to it. This is normal behaviour for all WM6 devices onwards. It remounts when the PC connection is stopped.

Check if you can change the connection to Activesync then be able to view the SD card from within Windows Mobile.

Incidentally this is one of the causes of system crashes when system files like messaging or browser caches are set to use the SD card- when connected to the PC in disk drive mode the SD card effectively gets removed from the mobile so any read/write operations from the mobile OS will fail.

ah that might be it, sorry for confusion!

and also the i/o error i got on big file transfer was usb drive mode, still shouldnt happen though!

have calmed down a little now, but still device needs 6.5 update to at least enable some sort of spl hack!

i agree it is the best device at the moment, just damned annoying using stock ROM all the time :D

thanks for infos

Guest Alexban

I have the same problem starting a few days ago(with the included 8GB card from Orange). Until now, after a soft reset everything was ok for a few hours. Starting today half of my folders are ok and half looks like garbage even after soft reset. I guess nobody find the reason or o fix for this. I'll try to complain to Toshiba but in my country they don't have an office... Maybe Orange will help me...

Alexban

Guest unforeseen

IMPORTANT:

Anyone experiencing Memory Card issues with this phone (TG01) on Orange UK should quote fault number

FW236

This will help us all!

-people with faulty phones will have more options for replacement

-orange might recognise that these phones ACTUALLY have a flaw and harras Toshiba to fix it!

Please let me know if you manage use this code when calling customer services.

All the best.

RoB

Guest unforeseen

yes it is :D

they arennt so much aware of it, rather, they gave me that number to stop me complaining.

but if everyone quotes it who has the problem whether your problem is now fixed or now then they might accept that there is a fault!

Guest elite-fusion

hey guys, not sure if this is part of the same main issue, but for some apperant reason my simcard got whipped out

like the phone was in, i was using the phone's NDrive that i installed which the map files are on the memory card, and i used iit about an hour ago, and now when i went in there and tried to use the phone to check for a picture that ihave on my memory card, but there is nothing there, no files, no folders, no nothing, in File Explorer when pressing on Storage Card, there is nothing in there...BUT when i go to Settings and go into Memory and hit on Memory Card, it says that ihave 5gb used out of 8gb...and i dont have a toshiba card, i have a SanDisc 8gb card in there. Please can anyone help me recover the files somehow or getting it to work again :)

Guest Neil5459

I don't understand your reference to the SIM card - do you mean you can't make calls etc, or did you mean the microSD card?

Your symptoms are entirely consistent with the corruption issue and you need to report this ASAP to Orange technical support quoting the fault code listed by the previous poster.

To have any chance of recovering your files, DO NOTHING with the Toshiba apart from removing the microSD card. Once removed, try inserting it into a card reader for use in your PC. When you insert it into the PC it may offer a scan and fix option, which you should accept. This may remove the bad cluster that seems to cause the problem, but it may not. If so, try some of the file recovery tools. There is a good chance that you won't be able to recover your files, and will need to reformat the card.

The make of card doesn't matter- initially it seemed to be Toshiba cards, but that's just because they are the ones supplied. Other cards are just as vulnerable.

Guest elite-fusion

Yep sorry i ment Memory Card, not Sim Card...

researched this on google, and came up with a solution

i installed VMWare and instealled Ubuntu 9.4 on it, and when i plugged in my phone to USB the Virtual System picked it up, and all my files and folders where there (with the exception of maybe 2 folders, 2 folders where i had my Pictures on, one was labled Pix with personal pix from my other phones, and the DCIM folder which is used by the camera, Both got Whipped, i think those are the only ones that got whipped, cant really remember for sure if i had any other ones) but the LINUX trick worked for me...

but i did notice for some reason that when i connected the phone to Linux VM, all the folders and files had a little lock on top of it, so im guessing they got encrypted...i remembered that the last program that i installed was TouchLockPro, but that froze my phone im guessing due to the lack of hardware buttons, and then i pulled the battery and im guessing that when it started so i removed the prog from RemovePrograms from Settings, and then later on last night noticed that Memory card was messed up

Guest Neil5459

I've now had 2 issues where the storage card disappears from the file system, without the device being connected to the PC, and have notified Toshiba Support.

3 further occurrences of Memory card problems.

I have now experienced 3 further episodes of memory card issues on my TG01 though only one caused data corruption.

• All my programs are installed in main device memory

• Large data files such as music, reference book data and SatNav data are stored on my 16GB Transcend MicroSD card.

• Problems (additional to those already reported)

o 1. Card corruption while playing music stored on card using Windows Media Player. Required card reformat to recover.

o 2. While using TG01 purely with Photo Viewer, accessing pictures stored in main memory, storage card disappeared from File System. Needed soft reset to recover. No data loss. Problem noticed because SatNav program icon disappeared from ‘Programs’

o 3. As above. Was surfing using Pocket Internet Explorer. Tried to download a program and save to storage card, but storage card reported not present. PIE cache is set to use main device memory. SR cleared problem.

• 2 & 3 above occurred using a Custom Power Save mode with all power settings set at mid point and backlight set static at 50%

It occurs to me that had I actually been accessing data from the storage card when it became dismounted, that may have resulted in a card corruption seen in circumstances when the card was in use.

Do you know if the current OS uses a Power Save entry in the registry for memory cards? If so, could the device be entering power save for the card erroneously?

Neil

Guest elite-fusion

the issue i had yesturday, happened again today after i got everything back, i lost it today again out of nowhere, i have no idea why or anything, i didnt install anything at all, was just using my phone to txt and call nothing else...i have no idea what the he!! is going on here :) but now i gotta go back to my Virtual Machine of Linux and put everything back on, this is rediculous...

Guest Elvvood

Hello guys, excuse my English, I'm using Google, to me the memory corruption occurred only once, and I was using the Toshiba interface, I use SPB Mobile Shell and I've never had problems, the only time I Toshiba has used the interface corrupt the memory (Sandysk 16G), I would not want it to be the iterfaccia Toshiba to cause this, ok, is everything, and apologize again for the English, Hello :)

Guest elite-fusion

yea didnt exist on mine either, but i didnt create it, but i did do the 1st two changes from 3000 to 8196

also...for those of you who dont want to installed the VirtualMachine Linux OS, there is a program i found while looking up stuff related to memory card corruption...its called

GETDATABACK search that in google, and it will recover the files that were lost on the card, works very well, takes about 30 mins to scan the card but its worth it, i just tried it out and it pulled up all the files that got deleted (for the second time)

also from what i've read online from similar issues was that its the SD Power Management that needs to be disabled somehow because ive read that it might cause not only SEVERE battery drain, but also the memory card corruption

i've noticed from reading online just now on multiple websites that if the power to the card is lost, most likely thats when the corruption will happan...and i noticed the first time when my files dissapeared i installed that program TouchLockPro...it basically locked my device and since the TG01 doesn't exactly have too many hardware buttons, and i didn't really go through the settings, i wasn't able to unlock my device...but this is how it went...lets say time was 12:00pm thats when i installed TouchLockPro, it was installed from the SD card, hence the card is fully functional, by 12:02pm i went into the program to mess with it and see what it has, 12:03pm i locked the phone with the program and was trying to unlock it but wasn't able to to, so at 12:05pm is when i pulled the battery, and tats probably when the memory card got messed up. So...2nd time that it happened was while i was using the phone, i just texted someone, and 2 seconds later my battery died completely so my phone turned off by itself, so then after a full charge for almost 2 hours (it usually doesn't take that long but i went to sleep for a bit) i then went out to eat and while at the dinner table i wanted to show my buddy the NDrive that i installed on the phone and when i went in the memory card, it was whipped again, so as a few people have said that as soon as the power gets interrupted on the SD card, thats it...its fried and needs heavy data recovery.

so not quite sure what the next step will be, BUT i hope these registry settings will do something at least to help me and the others on here. I am now recovering files for the SECOND time but this time using the program GetDataBack for FAT, which seems to be doing a pretty good job at the moment...

Whats also weird that in the Linux OS that i have installed on my VMware Virtual Machine, when i connect the phone as a Mass Storage Device, it finds ALL the files and ALL the folders on the card, but for some apparent reason Windows doesn't show anything at all nor does File Explorer, but THANKS goes out to the poster of this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80375 it really did help me out ALOT when i thought i was screwed and lost all my files.

Guest Neil5459

Thanks for that :)

I'd been looking for a power management key, but couldn't find it!

Have added the power management key to both normal and High Capacity entries- will see what happens. The 'unload' keys were already set correctly.

Guest elite-fusion

hmm i dont have High Capacity folder within SDMemory_Class...i only have High Capacity folder within the MMC_Class

am i supposed to have High Capacity folder in the SDMemory_Class folder too? or is everything ok on my TG01

Guest Neil5459

I'm not sure how important the High Capacity entries are- assuming your cards above 2GB are recognised, then maybe it doesn't matter?

If you want me to upload the SDMemory High Capacity reg entry I can do so tomorrow.

Hi everyone.

I've done all the three registry hacks following the guide here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/25/fix-sd-memory-card-disappearing-missing-folder-or-corrupt-in-windows-mobile-device/

Manually added the DisablePowerManagement as everyone else here.

and I am happy to confirm that (so far), after some extensive testing this morning, the hacks do help.

I've tried all of the following (I've been running scandisk after each test):

1) Normal soft-reset (this has given me corruptions issues previously [before the hacks] at about 60% of the cases)

2) Normal shut down (this has given me corruptions issues previously [before the hacks] almost 90% of the cases)

3) Soft-reset/Shut down while applications running (nothing actually going on actively - like potentialy dangerous for rebooting - defrag running, just open applications, mail and so on) (this has given me corruptions issues previously [before the hacks] almost 80% of the cases)

4) Battery removed while applications running (this has always given me issues before)

5) I even moved back the email storage from main to flash card (this has always given me issues before) - this gave me one issue with just the folder name after first run and fix with scandisk, so far seems to be good. I downloaded an email with a larger attachment to try and cause an issue, but no issues so far).

The only thing that I haven't tested yet, and which has previously caused me lots of headache is leave the battery drain on itself and TG01 to shut down - I've always had flash corrpution then, this is why I never leave the battery to go down that much (not that I can be sure as, as you know TG01 reports battery levels incorrectly). If someone else is happy to give this case also a try, I'd be happy to know the result.

So far, so good. This is a very good find!

P.S. All of the % above are just based on my observations and are not exact test data (I don't have a test lab, nor the time :))

P.S.2. I will still continue to make backups of my device with SPB Backup, just in case. One advice for those of you doing regular backups - always exclude the biggest files on your flash, like wikipedia's 1GB data file, or sat nav huge files. Make a backup excluding those, and then separately backup those through Windows (Active Sync) - copy to your local PC disks and archive there. Then when you need to make a restore, you can restore the smaller file, and separately copy over the bigger files.

Edited by clmnw

Guest Neil5459

This hasn't worked for me for my disappearing SD card :)

Every day now, I fire up Resco and the Storage Card is not listed. Looking in Settings/Memory/Storage Card says 'not installed'

A Soft Reset is needed to get it back.

Guest elite-fusion
Hi everyone.

I've done all the three registry hacks following the guide here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/25/fix-sd-memory-card-disappearing-missing-folder-or-corrupt-in-windows-mobile-device/

Manually added the DisablePowerManagement as everyone else here.

and I am happy to confirm that (so far), after some extensive testing this morning, the hacks do help.

I've tried all of the following (I've been running scandisk after each test):

1) Normal soft-reset (this has given me corruptions issues previously [before the hacks] at about 60% of the cases)

2) Normal shut down (this has given me corruptions issues previously [before the hacks] almost 90% of the cases)

3) Soft-reset/Shut down while applications running (nothing actually going on actively - like potentialy dangerous for rebooting - defrag running, just open applications, mail and so on) (this has given me corruptions issues previously [before the hacks] almost 80% of the cases)

4) Battery removed while applications running (this has always given me issues before)

5) I even moved back the email storage from main to flash card (this has always given me issues before) - this gave me one issue with just the folder name after first run and fix with scandisk, so far seems to be good. I downloaded an email with a larger attachment to try and cause an issue, but no issues so far).

The only thing that I haven't tested yet, and which has previously caused me lots of headache is leave the battery drain on itself and TG01 to shut down - I've always had flash corrpution then, this is why I never leave the battery to go down that much (not that I can be sure as, as you know TG01 reports battery levels incorrectly). If someone else is happy to give this case also a try, I'd be happy to know the result.

So far, so good. This is a very good find!

P.S. All of the % above are just based on my observations and are not exact test data (I don't have a test lab, nor the time :) )

P.S.2. I will still continue to make backups of my device with SPB Backup, just in case. One advice for those of you doing regular backups - always exclude the biggest files on your flash, like wikipedia's 1GB data file, or sat nav huge files. Make a backup excluding those, and then separately backup those through Windows (Active Sync) - copy to your local PC disks and archive there. Then when you need to make a restore, you can restore the smaller file, and separately copy over the bigger files.

Glad it worked for you, so far so good with me, havent done any testing yet honestly, but we'll see as i go along, will be pulling battery and draining the phone later today because i only have one wire to charge the phone and left that at home today :) so stuck without a charger for the rest of the day basically, but seems to be working ok for now *keeping my fingers crossed*