Toshiba TG01 Memory Card Corruption

Guest David Strange

Guest elite-fusion
This hasn't worked for me for my disappearing SD card :)

Every day now, I fire up Resco and the Storage Card is not listed. Looking in Settings/Memory/Storage Card says 'not installed'

A Soft Reset is needed to get it back.

Hey Neil, out of curiousity, Resco what? keyboard or application or wat? i want to install that on my device later tonight to see if i can replicate the issue, what you can also try to do is copy all the files to your desktop computer and just reformat the card, and then put everything back on the card...also might be a faulty install of the Resco application perhaps, wish i could help more, but whats the application from Resco that you're running that makes you encounter problems? want to test it out on my TG01

Ps. i wish i had a normal freakkin charger for the wall, im in US and have a European charger which i cant use, so im stuck resorting to the d@mn USB cable which i have to bring to work and then home and then back :) and cant find normal chargers here in USA for this phone so waiting for mine to come in from ebay along with the d@mn cases which i hope finally come in :)

Guest Neil5459

Sorry- I think I may have misled you :)

I was meaning Resco File Explorer. It isn't that this causes the problems with the card, it's just my way of verifying that the device has lost it's knowledge of the presence of the card.

Something is making the card dismount from the OS and Resco is my preferred way of looking at it. I must stress I haven't had any recurrence of the card corruption- it just keeps disappearing. I always keep a copy of my SD card contents on my PC, but it;s not a lot of good when it goes tits-up when you are on holiday and away from a PC for 2 weeks :)

Resco keyboard is OK, but nowhere near as good as TouchPal :)

How far is your journey home from work? The Motorola MicroUSB Car chargers work really well for the TG01 :) Mine goes from 30% to 80% in about 40 minutes ;)

Sadly, I have to say that I've experienced lost clusters and card corruption this morning, which I'd blame on the "moved back the email storage from main to flash card" step in my tests yesterday. So, do not store mail on flash... this has now proven to cause trouble in 100% of the cases. I just hope that I can restore from the backup I made yesterday, as the only copy of the backup file is on the flash itself and can be by now corrupted as well.

P.S. It seems that my spbackup file got corrupted as well, as part of the 'global' card corruption (funny is lots other bigger files had survived the corruption, but not the backup ones), so I have to restore from an older copy; moral of the story: when making backups, make sure you transfer the backup file to PC as soon as possbile!

Edited by clmnw

Guest elite-fusion
Sadly, I have to say that I've experienced lost clusters and card corruption this morning, which I'd blame on the "moved back the email storage from main to flash card" step in my tests yesterday. So, do not store mail on flash... this has now proven to cause trouble in 100% of the cases. I just hope that I can restore from the backup I made yesterday, as the only copy of the backup file is on the flash itself and can be by now corrupted as well.

P.S. It seems that my spbackup file got corrupted as well, as part of the 'global' card corruption (funny is lots other bigger files had survived the corruption, but not the backup ones), so I have to restore from an older copy; moral of the story: when making backups, make sure you transfer the backup file to PC as soon as possbile!

hey try to use that program that i listed

GETDATABACK FOR FAT....it works wonders

I have restored from a previous backup of mine, and then reapplied the registry hacks, BUT kept my mail on the main drive, not on the flash! Then later on I left my battery to fully drain out, and for my TG01 to shut down itself ... and... what was always previously happening was card corruption, well, not this time.

So again, I've tested almost all events (described in a previous post of mine) that were causing corruption to the card, and the registry hacks do help in all of them, but one - the mail storage on flash. So as long as you're happy to keep your mail on your main drive, than I hope the card corruption should be sorted for you.

For meself its just completely random, completely vanilla formatted win 6.1. kills the memory card whenever it feels like it...i dont use any email stoof or well much of anything(am waiting on 6.5 b4 playing around with it properly). Last time it happened was erm 2 days ago methinks and all i had done within the 24 hours b4 it went was transfer a film onto the memory card(something ive done a few times without problems).

Hmm well from what i recall the tg01 was gonna be win 6.5 from the start perhaps when we upgrade ittl fix the problem, it just might be the fact going back to win 6.1 was a stop gap for quick sales and whatnot(shoot me if u think im way off, just speculating).

Anyone have any news from Toshiba/Orange on if its being taken more seriously?

Ta vmuch

Guest Neil5459

I reported a few days ago how I'd not had any recurrence of the storage card corruption, but that I was getting repeated episodes of the storage card disappeaing from the OS.

Now I've seem to have solved that one- tracked it down to Spb Backup's scheduled backup service. I noticed the last recurrence just after a scheduled backup, though it was happening randomly throughout the day. So, I stopped the backup schedule and reverted to manual backups, and no further problem with disappearing card :)

Guest elite-fusion
I have restored from a previous backup of mine, and then reapplied the registry hacks, BUT kept my mail on the main drive, not on the flash! Then later on I left my battery to fully drain out, and for my TG01 to shut down itself ... and... what was always previously happening was card corruption, well, not this time.

So again, I've tested almost all events (described in a previous post of mine) that were causing corruption to the card, and the registry hacks do help in all of them, but one - the mail storage on flash. So as long as you're happy to keep your mail on your main drive, than I hope the card corruption should be sorted for you.

fantastic :) im glad my researched helped someone other then me :)

let the battery drain out completely yesturday too...not by choice but didnt have a charger with me, so when i got home, i was expecting my card to be screwed again, but i went into File Explorer and all my stuff was there without a problem =D its fantastic :) glad to be of service to you guys :)

Guest elite-fusion
I reported a few days ago how I'd not had any recurrence of the storage card corruption, but that I was getting repeated episodes of the storage card disappeaing from the OS.

Now I've seem to have solved that one- tracked it down to Spb Backup's scheduled backup service. I noticed the last recurrence just after a scheduled backup, though it was happening randomly throughout the day. So, I stopped the backup schedule and reverted to manual backups, and no further problem with disappearing card :)

Glad to hear :) hopefully we'll elimiate any problems with this phone for good, because the phone it self is great, just would be great to install custom roms on this bad boy to get all the stuff i want :)

would be nice to have TF3D 2.5 on the TG01 lol

Guest Neil5459

Hmm- had a memory card corruption yesterday despite all the registry hacks :)

Luckily I spotted it before anything tried to write to the card, so simply taking the card out and putting it into the PC, then using the 'Scan and Fix' option cleared it.

I had my TG01 for well over a month now and seems to have all the problems that one can possibily had.

2 days ago I noticed that there are a lot of files with very long and strange name on the root of the Toshiba sd card.

First I thought it was because I sync my music from Winamp and those stranges files were some Album art or something.

But today, all those strange files had disappeared along with 80% of all the files I save in the root of the sd card , but all other directories are left intacted.

Is this due to sd corruption as well? any ideas?

I had my TG01 for well over a month now and seems to have all the problems that one can possibily had.

2 days ago I noticed that there are a lot of files with very long and strange name on the root of the Toshiba sd card.

First I thought it was because I sync my music from Winamp and those stranges files were some Album art or something.

But today, all those strange files had disappeared along with 80% of all the files I save in the root of the sd card , but all other directories are left intacted.

Is this due to sd corruption as well? any ideas?

it is... get used to making backups and restoring, as most of us do, as unfortunately this seems to be a major issue, and I only hope there is at least one person from Toshiba that is aware of it, as it seems it affects everyone with TG01, no matter what flash cards are used.

Guest Neil5459

I've just had this reply from Toshiba :)

Hi Neil, we are still trying to figure out why exactly it is doing it, but I agree with you in that it appears to be power management related.

The 6.5 ROM should be out just after the 6th of October, and yes, hopefully that will help, although we are hoping to have found a resolution before that point.

best regards,

Pete.

Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:43 AM

To: Pete Whiteley

Subject: FW: 090819EM13260845

Hi Peter

Further to my report as below from 6th September, I’ve now got 2 more episodes to report- one good one bad!

The good: I’ve narrowed down the ‘disappearing storage card’ issue (NOT the corruptions though) to SpB Backup’s scheduled backup function. For some reason this was causing the missing storage card though it was happening at times when the scheduler should not have been active. Stopping the scheduling and returning to manual backups has not seen a recurrence of this problem for a week now.

The bad: I’ve had yet another instance of the storage card corruption 2 days ago. As before, the card was not being accessed by any application, and ALL my apps are installed in device memory, with large data files on the card. I opened Resco Explorer intending to reinstall one of my CAB files located on the card and the whole folder structure was corrupt, though this time all the folders appeared to be present, just with garbled ASCII character names.

Without doing anything else, I powered off the TG01 and removed to card, then placed it in the PC. Windows ‘Scan and Fix’ utility fixed the problem and it was then OK on reinserting to the TG01.

This is now 4 episodes in 8 weeks and I know many others are reporting the same thing across Europe. It is at a stage now where I feel the need to carry a spare memory card all the time for my ‘mission critical’ stuff like SatNav. Is there ANY hope of a fix for this, maybe in the upcoming WM6.5 ROM?

Neil

Sent: 06 September 2009 13:23

To: Pete Whiteley

Subject: RE: 090819EM13260845

3 further occurrences of Memory card problems.

I have now experienced 3 further episodes of memory card issues on my TG01 though only one caused data corruption.

• All my programs are installed in main device memory

• Large data files such as music, reference book data and SatNav data are stored on my 16GB Transcend MicroSD card.

• Problems (additional to those already reported)

o 1. Card corruption while playing music stored on card using Windows Media Player. Required card reformat to recover.

o 2. While using TG01 purely with Photo Viewer, accessing pictures stored in main memory, storage card disappeared from File System. Needed soft reset to recover. No data loss. Problem noticed because SatNav program icon disappeared from ‘Programs’

o 3. As above. Was surfing using Pocket Internet Explorer. Tried to download a program and save to storage card, but storage card reported not present. PIE cache is set to use main device memory.

• 2 & 3 above occurred using a Custom Power Save mode with all power settings set at mid point and backlight set static at 50%

It occurs to me that had I actually been accessing data from the storage card when it became dismounted, that may have resulted in a card corruption seen in circumstances when the cord was in use.

Do you know if the current OS uses a Power Save entry in the registry for memory cards? If so, could the device be entering power save for the card erroneously?

Neil

Sent: 20 August 2009 11:32

To: Neil Mellerick

Subject: 090819EM13260845

Dear Neil

Thank you for contacting Toshiba Mobile Communications.

This is something I have heard of on one or two other devices, and so we are currently looking at this with a view to passing it on to our developers if more cases are received, or if we can recreate the problem.

Indeed we are now running tests on a couple of devices to try and get it to do it with ours as well so that we can prove the problem to the developers and get a fix released.

Hopefully, it won't take too long.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again for further assistance and use the reference number found in the subject field for all enquiries.

Best Regards,

Pete Whiteley

Toshiba Mobile Communications,

So- they are definitely aware of the problem!

Hmm- had a memory card corruption yesterday despite all the registry hacks :)

Luckily I spotted it before anything tried to write to the card, so simply taking the card out and putting it into the PC, then using the 'Scan and Fix' option cleared it.

thanks for the tip.

after reading your commemt, I took my sd card out and plug it into my pc, did a "scan and fix". And magically, every missing files comes back, like nothing had happened at all.

How very strange.

Guest Neil5459
thanks for the tip.

after reading your commemt, I took my sd card out and plug it into my pc, did a "scan and fix". And magically, every missing files comes back, like nothing had happened at all.

How very strange.

It is indeed very strange :)

I think we are either seeing a corruption in the FAT, or possibly a missing EOF (End of File) marker in one of the files. The former is more likely!

Got this today:

Dear Mr. ********,

Thank you for contacting Toshiba Mobile Communications.

Please could you provide us more detailed information on your device please in order to track the issue of the sd card corruption.

- Serial number (underneath the battery in the device )

- CE Version:

- Rom Version adn Radio Version etc of your device (Start/Settings/System/Info/Version)

- Network brand (for example (for example Orange)

- Micro sd card manufacturer / capacity

- Corruption after how many days / file types / applications installed an run at the same time.

We suspect a power management issue, but the tests are still ongoing... (Pete Whiteley and other technicains...)

Many thanks in advance.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again for further assistance and use the reference number found in the subject field for all enquiries.

Best Regards,

Please only send in the device, the battery and the charger. Do not include the SIM Card or Memory Card.

I hope you have found our information useful. Please do not hesitate to contact us again for further assistance and use the reference number found in the subject field for all enquiries.

Best Regards,

Toshiba Mobile Communications,

T: 008000 505 2006 - International free phone number

T: 0044 207 111 0990 - Please use this number if your country does not support the free phone number

E: [email protected]

TOSHIBA

www.toshiba-europe.com/mobile

This communication is from Toshiba Information Systems (UK) Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales with Company Number 918861, whose registered address is at Toshiba Court, Weybridge Business Park, Addlestone Road, Weybridge, Surrey KT15 2UL, England.

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute, copy or otherwise use this communication or the information in it.

This email may also contain technical information which is subject to export control requirements under applicable laws and regulations. You must ensure you comply with all applicable export control requirements in force from time to time when using or distributing the information contained in this email. Any views or opinions expressed in this email may be solely those of the author and are not necessarily those of Toshiba Information Systems (UK) Ltd. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by email ([email protected]) or by telephone (+44 (0)1932 841600) and then delete the email and any copies of it.

Edited by badaas

I am on my fourth TG01 and have experienced card corruption and battery issues in all of them so far.

It makes no difference what manufacturer card I am using. I experienced it with the Toshiba card and with an expensive class 6 card I bought seperately. I also tried two replacement Toshiba cards, but didn't make a difference.

It also makes no difference whether I have any 3rd party apps installed or not. On my first replacement, I thought I'd try using the phone without any extra software for a while. It still lost files.

However, on my second replacement, something even more strange occurred.

My phone appears to have caused one of my hard drives on my home network to lose most of its files! I am not kidding!

I had Resco file explorer set to expose the network folder to other apps. I like to access files from my hard drive occasionally, and had no problems doing this with my last three WM devices. I don't think I had been accessing the drive at the time, but suddenly while browsing the net my phone went very slow. I went to stop some running programs, but noticed most of my programs were gone from the menu! My internal memory appeared to be corrupt this time, something I've never experienced before. I had only six programs in my program menu (I don't mean six of my own programs, not even the preinstalled apps from the ROM were there), no file explorer, and no settings menu. All my apps had been installed in internal memory, not in external. I've never stored email on the sd card. I don't even use the email application I needed to hard reset to solve it. Thankfully, it was only a few hours since my last reset, so I had no critical data to lose.

I later found that all my SD card files had gone (no corrupt names, just no files exept one random cab file).

Somehow, it deleted most of the files on my hard drive as well, but I was able to recover all the files using Recuva. I know it sounds crazy, but it can only have been the TG01 because the few folders that were left were showing that they had been modified at the exact time my TG01 crashed.

This was all very bizarre and had never happened before.

What could be causing this?

One thing I noticed today was that sometimes I downloaded a file using internet explorer, and although the progress bar made it look like the whole file had downloaded, when I went to open it in file explorer, it was only showing a few bytes in size, as opposed to a few megabytes. Could this be related?

I've noticed my phone is sometimes particularly slow when plugged in to the power supply. Is this related?

Guest Neil5459

Now that is very nasty :)

Did you have Resco set to reconnect automatically to network shares? Was it the same 'replacement' that caused the corruption to the main TG01 operating system? This does sound like some sort of major hardware or ROM fault, as I've not heard of that degree of corruption before.

Agreed over both the independence of the SD card corruption to the size and type of card. Also on the occurrence whether or not any other apps are running/installed. My last instance of the 3 card corruptions was while the card was not being used at all. All my programs (apart from iGO8) are installed to device memory, and the card is just used for data and media files.

Have you reported this to Toshiba Support (as in the email in earlier posts?)- if not maybe you should, just to add to the evidence base.

I have occasionally seen the incomplete download you report withy IE but not with Netfront. Also I've not seen the slowdown you, and a number of others have seen.

Guest Cassatta

I am not using scheduled backups in SPBbackup and I had this "corruption" (the infos are on the card but you don't see it) problem but a soft-reset or to put the card in the pc solved it!

Guest Neil5459

we're talking about different issues.

The spb scheduled backup was causing the SD card to periodically disappear from the system but not file corruption.

I still get occasional corruption but usually a soft reset clears it.

Guest hdbueller
we're talking about different issues.

The spb scheduled backup was causing the SD card to periodically disappear from the system but not file corruption.

I still get occasional corruption but usually a soft reset clears it.

Has anybody looked at the update on the docomo website? They seem to be addressing this issue there...

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/support...09/t01a_01.html

I tried to read the read me file, but it is in Japanese. It does mention in the english translation that it is addressing storage card issues.

• 1 month later...
Guest xdalover

Unfortunatelly I've just had this issue. Some of the files on SD card have unexpected signs!

I'm still on WM 6.1. They say that WM 6.5 fixes this issue I'm VERY INTERESTING in confirm it. Has any of who have already updated to WM6.5 found this issue? Can we say that it has been definitively fixed??!???

Thank you!