Toshiba TG01 Memory Card Corruption

Guest David Strange

Guest Neil5459
Unfortunatelly I've just had this issue. Some of the files on SD card have unexpected signs!

I'm still on WM 6.1. They say that WM 6.5 fixes this issue I'm VERY INTERESTING in confirm it. Has any of who have already updated to WM6.5 found this issue? Can we say that it has been definitively fixed??!???

Thank you!

I'd hesitate to say definitely, but I had no further issues with this after installing WM6.5

Guest xdalover
I'd hesitate to say definitely, but I had no further issues with this after installing WM6.5

Thank you! Please, people with WM6.5:

Have you ever had this issue since you updated?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest columbo
Thank you! Please, people with WM6.5:

Have you ever had this issue since you updated?

I upgraded to WM6.5. I had a few minor issues, but nothing nearly as bad as before. Every now and again, I scan the card on my PC and it shows a few errors, but I am not getting major file corruption like I did with WM6.1. WM6.5 is a lot better, except that the call quality has been a lot worse. I am currently trying to get Toshiba to admit there is a problem here.

I found the following article helpful in the way it explains how corruption can occur. (written in 2007 so a little bit out of date.)

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archiv...w-about-sd.aspx

It would explain a lot if it turned out that something was slowing the phone down that was causing the card to be lost. I have always experienced random and intermittent slowdowns, particularly after a reboot while the phone is plugged in. are still happening, but the PNP Unload Delay has been increased to 6000 (I found out using SKTools) which could account for the improvement making it less likely to lose the card.

Anyone have any idea why the phone experiences major slowdowns after a reboot every now and again? This happens particularly when it's plugged in while rebooting.

If it has never happened to your TG01, did you restore your phonebook contacts and calendar from a previous device or did you input your PIM information manually? It may sound like an odd question, but I am exploring a possibility it may a new form of an old WM2003 bug that would cause problems with the notifications system. I've ruled out third party software and cheap cards as being a possible cause. I've also had 6 of these phone, so it suggests there is a software flaw.

I really want this phone to work. It's nearly there, but still unacceptably broken.

Edited by columbo

Guest The Real Mc Coy

In fact I never had the issue from the day I formatted every µSD Card on a PC before plugin it in TG01 on WM6.1 and WM6.5 :D

I have no slowdown since then too.

Guest columbo
In fact I never had the issue from the day I formatted every µSD Card on a PC before plugin it in TG01 on WM6.1 and WM6.5 ;)

I have no slowdown since then too.

I thought I had tried that before and it didn't work. I might try it again. One thing's for sure, despite claims to the contrary, it was not a problem with Toshiba's card, as I had the same problem with several different brands of class 6 card.

I've just had a band new replacement (had to speak to a manager to get it) after having had 5 refurbished replacements which were all suffering from slowdowns and SD card corruption. It rebooted again and had the slowdown today. The slowdown remains until the phone is reset again, but if past experience is anything to go by, this will get progressively worse until I will not be able to get the phone working up to speed again.

What format did you use? FAT or FAT32?

Also, in case it's relevant, what about PIM data (contact, calendar, etc.)? Did you enter it manually or did you restore from a backup/sync? Also, is your contacts list particularly large? I'm asking because my contacts database is over 1000 and has one or two duplicates. It's never been an issue before, but just trying to rule out possibilities.

Guest The Real Mc Coy

FAT32 (full format not quick)

My TG01 was equiped with a 8GB Class 4 Toshiba µSD and now I have a Sandisk 8GB Class 6 inside and still have no problems.

I always use PIMBackup to backup my TG01 before hard-ressetting and regularly.

If there are some duplicates in contacts I use DupeDeDupe : http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-so...icate-contacts/

Edited by The Real Mc Coy

Guest columbo
FAT32 (full format not quick)

My TG01 was equiped with a 8GB Class 4 Toshiba µSD and now I have a Sandisk 8GB Class 6 inside and still have no problems.

I always use PIMBackup to backup my TG01 before hard-ressetting and regularly.

If there are some duplicates in contacts I use DupeDeDupe : http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-so...icate-contacts/

Thanks Real Mc Coy. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately, formatting the card as you suggested didn't work for me. It still has the slowdown.

I didn't make myself clear in my previous question.

When you first started using the TG01, did you have a previous set of contacts and calendar from a different phone that you transferred to the TG01?

Also, do you have a large contact database?

The reason I'm asking these questions is that there is a process running called calupd.exe running when the slowdown occurs. That process has something to do with cleaning up the PIM and with time zones. When there is a slowdown, calupd.exe is usually running, although it is device.exe that is showing 100% CPU usage. When there is no slowdown, calupd.exe is absent and device.exe runs at 2 or 3 % cpu usage. It seems that calupd.exe is causing something to go haywire within device.exe. The slowdown happens more frequently over time and takes more reboots to get it back to normal each time. It's getting quite annoying now.

That is the only common occurrence I can point to. It happen whenever I restart when it is plugged in, or when I restart after the time has been changed (or rather when the clock settings have been opened, even if the time hasn't been changed. And yes I do close the settings afterwards.)

You must be doing something drastically different to me if you have not had this problem in WM6.5, as all 7 of the TG01 handsets I have tried (including one from new stock) have this slowdown problem after a few days. This cannot be a coincidence. I have used WM devices for many years and am doing nothing on this device that I didn't do on my previous WM devices.

Do you sync with Outlook 2007 or an earlier version? Do you use XP, Vista or Win7? Are you with Orange UK? Mentioning any of these things can be helpful. Clearly, whatever it is that you are not doing/have not done is keeping your device from slowing down. With your help, maybe I can find what it is.

Edited by columbo

• 1 month later...

I had some slow down issues today and try soft reset the device but no effects, so I try disable the light sensor and reset the device and it worked, no more slow down, maybe the light sensor is buggy???perhaps?

I had some slow down issues today and try soft reset the device but no effects, so I try disable the light sensor and reset the device and it worked, no more slow down, maybe the light sensor is buggy???perhaps?

The phone is slowing down again, and the light sensor is off this time :<

• 1 month later...
Guest giuseppemonaco

hi to everyone,

i'm a new user. i have this problem.

after I had card corruption issues with toshiba card, I bought this card: trascend micro sd hc class 6 8gb.

I never had anymore any card corruption issue by using that card, anyway sometimes my tg01 crashes when I execute some software installed in the new card.

Anyone knows tell me what memory card is completely compatible with tg01?

I’d like to remove any crash issues due to the execution of programs installed in the memory card.

My o.s. is wm 6.5. I don’t use any kind of shell, Toshiba shell neither.

My card is formatted with fat 32. I did it by a software for windows in my pc.

thanks.

• 3 months later...
Guest Eddis

The support staff at docomo kept calling me (unsolicited) re: updating the, what... firmware or somesuch of the phone. I looked into it but finding the download site wasnt easily findable so i kept putting it off. on the 4th call from docomo I mentioned that my microsd card had been corrupted a few weeks after buying it.

The phone calls stopped... and then a week later i get a letter from docomo with a replacement 8gb microsd card, with all the available versions of the update on it. Free 8gb microsd card ;)

Since switching to this new card i havent had corruption yet (6.1). I have been reading about 6.5, and waited to see what other people reported about it before putting it in. Gonna make some time to do that right now in fact.

• 5 months later...
Guest Datinhkhach
hi to everyone,

i'm a new user. i have this problem.

after I had card corruption issues with toshiba card, I bought this card: trascend micro sd hc class 6 8gb.

I never had anymore any card corruption issue by using that card, anyway sometimes my tg01 crashes when I execute some software installed in the new card.

Anyone knows tell me what memory card is completely compatible with tg01?

I’d like to remove any crash issues due to the execution of programs installed in the memory card.

My o.s. is wm 6.5. I don’t use any kind of shell, Toshiba shell neither.

My card is formatted with fat 32. I did it by a software for windows in my pc.

thanks.

I'm having the same issue.