06/Jan - Installing the patched recovery image on your device

Guest PaulOBrien

The patched recovery image is your gateway to Custom ROM installs and all sorts of cool stuff... here's how to install it onto your device.

- download this file and extract it to your PC or mac

- open a command prompt to the directory containing the extracted files

- type the following commands appropriate to your device / pc...

GSM Hero (a Hero with a SIM card - e.g. the European Hero) on WINDOWS

adb-windows shell reboot bootloader (wait for device to reboot into bootloader)
fastboot-windows boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img (wait for device to boot into recovery)
install-recovery-gsm-windows.bat[/code] [b]GSM Hero (a Hero with a SIM card - e.g. the European Hero) on MAC[/b]
[code]chmod +x ./adb-mac
chmod +x ./fastboot-mac
chmod +x ./install-recovery-gsm-mac.sh
./adb-mac shell reboot bootloader (wait for device to reboot into bootloader)
./fastboot-mac boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img (wait for device to boot into recovery)
./install-recovery-gsm-mac.sh
GSM Hero (a Hero with a SIM card - e.g. the European Hero) on LINUX
chmod +x ./adb-linux
chmod +x ./fastboot-linux
chmod +x ./install-recovery-gsm-linux.sh
./adb-linux shell reboot bootloader (wait for device to reboot into bootloader)
./fastboot-linux boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img (wait for device to boot into recovery)
./install-recovery-gsm-linux.sh[/code] [b]CDMA Hero (a Hero without a SIM card - e.g. the Sprint Hero) on WINDOWS[/b]
[code]install-recovery-cdma-windows.bat
CDMA Hero (a Hero without a SIM card - e.g. the Sprint Hero) on MAC
chmod +x ./install-recovery-cdma-mac.sh
./install-recovery-cdma-mac.sh[/code] [b]CDMA Hero (a Hero without a SIM card - e.g. the Sprint Hero) on LINUX[/b]
[code]chmod +x ./install-recovery-cdma-linux.sh
./install-recovery-cdma-linux.sh

Job done!

Now if you pull the battery and turn on the device while holding down 'home', you should get the patched recovery image. Handy! :)

P

Thanks to chuckhriczko for the CDMA root method and Amon_RA for the recovery images!

Guest the_milkman

Hi Paul...

Excellent!!!! works really well! :D

Your doing some good stuf!! cheers mate. :angry:

Im new to android and loving it.

BTW I had to make a slight change to the instructions.. Just incase anyone was having difficulties

adb shell reboot bootloader (wait for device to reboot into bootloader)

fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img

adb shell mount /sdcard

adb push cm-hero-recovery.img /sdcard/cm-hero-recovery.img

adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/cm-hero-recovery.img

I replace the recovery.image with cm-hero-recovery.img

Thanks

Ernie

Guest trip hazard

Hi,

Just wanted confirmation really that what the_milkman said about using "cm-hero-recovery.img" in every instance of "recovery.img" in the original instructions is the right thing to do?

It would seem so to me as there is no recovery.img in the zip file but I'm a complete n00b at this so just wanted to check.

Thanks.

Guest AlThePost
Just wanted confirmation really that what the_milkman said about using "cm-hero-recovery.img" in every instance of "recovery.img" in the original instructions is the right thing to do?

For what it's worth, I did the same when I saw the name of the file and it worked perfectly. Home + Power On now puts me straight into Cyanogen's recovery image. I've been making plenty use of it today trying (unsuccessfully) to get AppsToSD working. :D

Edited by AlThePost

Guest trip hazard
For what it's worth, I did the same when I saw the name of the file and it worked perfectly. Home + Power On now puts me straight into Cyanogen's recovery image. I've been making plenty use of it today trying (unsuccessfully) to get AppsToSD working. :D

Thanks for the reply AlThePost.

Just to confirm, when you say you did the same, do you mean you did the same as the_milkman (i.e. "cm-hero-recovery.img") or the same as the original instructions?

Sorry, just wanted to be 100% clear on what it is I need to do as this kind of witchcraft sends a shiver down my spine :angry:

Guest AlThePost
Just to confirm, when you say you did the same, do you mean you did the same as the_milkman (i.e. "cm-hero-recovery.img") or the same as the original instructions?

The same procedure as the_milkman, sorry.

Al

Guest trip hazard
The same procedure as the_milkman, sorry.

Al

No need to apologise. I thought that was what you mean. I just wanted to be 100% sure...just me being a worrier :D

Thanks again for the advice. My phone's due to be delivered tomorrow so I'll give it a go then.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zyborg

Your phone needs a few seconds to detect the USB connection. Wait 10-15 seconds (or so) after entering the CyanogenMod, before you enter the command. Then it works.

when i type the command i get error:device not found

Im a total newbie to this - do i need to mount the sdcard or just plug in USB ?.

cheers

Guest zeflar
Your phone needs a few seconds to detect the USB connection. Wait 10-15 seconds (or so) after entering the CyanogenMod, before you enter the command. Then it works.

thanks - but i cant even type the command

adb shell reboot bootloader - i get device not found

Guest munkimatt
thanks - but i cant even type the command

adb shell reboot bootloader - i get device not found

have you got USB debugging ticked? It needs to be

Setting-Appliactions-Development-USB debugging.

Guest vik2001
when i type the command i get error:device not found

Im a total newbie to this - do i need to mount the sdcard or just plug in USB ?.

cheers

i had this error, you need to download drivers for HTC mobile. i downloaded the ones for vista and worked fine after. if you check in device manager you probably see its got a mark next to the mobile device and needs drivers. do a google for the htc drivers, and if you have vista like myself the windows 7 drivers work fine for HTC

Guest Dr Hotdog

Great stuff Paul, using your guides and packages I went from stock Hero to your latest custom ROM and updated radio in no time at all, with no real problems along the way :-D

As I use Linux instead of Windows or Mac I did have to change a couple of things to get the patched recovery image installed though, for the benefit of anyone else running Linux this is what I had to do:

1. Run all the adb and fastboot commands as root (use 'sudo', or 'su -' to switch to the superuser acccount). When I tried to run the adb commands as a normal user I got device not found errors, and a bit of googling suggested this was a permissions problem. There's probably a more elegant way of fixing this problem (changing permissions on the device node for the phone) but just running the commands as root was quick and simple and solved the problem.

2. Download a Linux binary of fastboot. Paul's package includes binaries for Windows (fastboot.exe) and Mac OS X (fastboot) but neither of these will run in Linux. Again google came to my rescue when I found the Fastboot page in the Android Wiki, which included a download link for a Linux binary: fastboot for linux. I simple downloaded the file, replaced the Mac OS X binary with it, made it executable, and then I was able to run the fastboot command as described in Paul's instructions.

3. Just a note that no USB drivers are required to use adb, etc., under Linux. You will need the Linux version of the Android SDK installed though, and the tools subdirectory in the PATH of your (root) user.

Edited by Dr Hotdog

Hey Paul and others!

I can boot with recovery images to root my phone:

"fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img

downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)"

This is after updating with RUU version HTC Generic 2.73.405.5

Guest Stevie B
Hey Paul and others!

This is just I guess - from what I have read, I understand the image you talk of is not rooted and neither does it have the recovery image installed. So it's back to the beginning....

Guest Igniztion
Hey Paul and others!

Take a look here: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...-the-new-hboot/

The RUU version replaces the bootloader with one that doesn't allow custom recovery images.

The patched Hero recovery image from Cyanogen is super-useful, but having to boot it up via fastboot all the time is a pain... so why not install it on your device permanently?

Is there a way to restore the default recovery image?

When I restore factory defaults it always displays the patched recovery image.

I want to send back my phone to HTC because mobile internet is not working fine.

I don't now if it is a problem that I installed the patched recovery image. I did not installed any new Rom or Radios yet.

I want to send back my phone to HTC because mobile internet is not working fine.

I don't now if it is a problem that I installed the patched recovery image. I did not installed any new Rom or Radios yet.

I guess using this ( http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...-the-new-hboot/ ) and an original recovery image.

Terran

Guest chuti98

Just use HTC RUU firmware then you can get original boot back

Guest magmag83

now here comes the man whose mobile phone hates him soooooo much...

phone:

- htc hero / sim- or netlocked by t-mobile UK

history:

- (i can't install the rom i want, because i have read that i had to install this patched recovery image first)

- if i'll connect the mobile phone to usb, it's detected like an usb-stick (for saving data), so i can't run the program "adb", it always tells me "device not found"

- i can't install the named drivers for htc because there are no drivers missing - phone is just in usb-storage mode i think

- i can't change anything on the phone with my hands, because the netlock doesn't let me in without a valid sim-card

and:

"unlock-now" has send me the money back, because they couldn't find out the right key for unlocking, so PLEEEEEAAASSEE help me :-(

yours magmag

Edited by magmag83

Guest GuyAdams
now here comes the man whose mobile phone hates him soooooo much...

phone:

- htc hero / sim- or netlocked by t-mobile UK

history:

- (i can't install the rom i want, because i have read that i had to install this patched recovery image first)

- if i'll connect the mobile phone to usb, it's detected like an usb-stick (for saving data), so i can't run the program "adb", it always tells me "device not found"

- i can't install the named drivers for htc because there are no drivers missing - phone is just in usb-storage mode i think

- i can't change anything on the phone with my hands, because the netlock doesn't let me in without a valid sim-card

and:

"unlock-now" has send me the money back, because they couldn't find out the right key for unlocking, so PLEEEEEAAASSEE help me :-(

yours magmag

As previously mentioned in this thread you need to have USB debugging enabled;

have you got USB debugging ticked? It needs to be

Setting-Appliactions-Development-USB debugging.

Thanks