06/Jan - Installing the patched recovery image on your device

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest magmag83
As previously mentioned in this thread you need to have USB debugging enabled;

- ach ne, sag bloss, da waer ich ja niemals drauf gekommen mr neunmalklugpenner ;-)

as you see in my post, i can't enter the android menu

Edited by magmag83

Guest HugoEgon
- ach ne, sag bloss, da waer ich ja niemals drauf gekommen mr neunmalklugpenner ;-)

as you see in my post, i can't enter the android menu

jemanden in einer Sprache zu beleidigen (naja, beleidigen an sich auch), die er nicht versteht, hilft dir sicher nicht bei deinem Problem!

Guest magmag83

yeha, i've done it - bought a t-mobile UK simcard, turned on the usb-development and now it runs :-)

thanks a lot

@HugoEgon: helfen nicht, aber lustig ist es allemal ;-)

Hi all,

Trying to install this on a UK Orange model Hero, and when I enter the second command I repeatedly get the message:

ERROR: Unable to create a plug-in (e00002c7)

... until I cancel the command. This is on a Mac if that matters.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks,

Tom

Guest Chivalryy

Hi all :)

Ok,,  im a bit of a complete newcomer to modding and customizing phones and the like...  and through some miracle i managed to get The patched Hero recovery image from Cyanogen installed permanently on my Hero (G2 Touch)

Just 1 quick question..  does this mean my phone is now rooted? or is that a completely different thing altogether?.... 

Now if i could only pluck up the courage to install the custom rom.. lol..    Which was my other question actualy..   does the phone need to be rooted before i can install Modaco`s rom?

Many thanks in advance,,,  please be gentle.. its a whole new world for me :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joshedin

Ok i have updated my drivers checked off the debugging and that all worked fine and dandyd BUT!!

After typing in the code adb shell reboot bootloader

(good) then code

fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img

<waiting for device> <---- WHAT AM I WAITING FOR WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO HERE??

My device goes into bootloader but i dont know what to press? should i hit fastboot and what button does fastboot??

(jeez im such a newb)

Guest clarkEEE1
Ok i have updated my drivers checked off the debugging and that all worked fine and dandyd BUT!!

After typing in the code adb shell reboot bootloader

(good) then code

<waiting for device> <---- WHAT AM I WAITING FOR WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO HERE??

My device goes into bootloader but i dont know what to press? should i hit fastboot and what button does fastboot??

(jeez im such a newb)

After it reboots into bootloader run the cmds from top of first page make sure your recovery img is on your sd card though. Or use flashrec a program that puts the recovery image onto the device without using cmd prompt

Guest Irishman2k6

Hey all. So I've got the new Hero for Sprint, and I'm trying to load up one of the recovery images in the hopes I can get a backup for someone to start cooking with. I got to the bootloader, but I get the following error from the console:

bash-3.2$ ./adb shell reboot bootloader

bash-3.2$ ./fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img

downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)

Any thoughts?

Guest clarkEEE1
Hey all. So I've got the new Hero for Sprint, and I'm trying to load up one of the recovery images in the hopes I can get a backup for someone to start cooking with. I got to the bootloader, but I get the following error from the console:

bash-3.2$ ./adb shell reboot bootloader

bash-3.2$ ./fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img

Any thoughts?

Sounds like you can't load the recovery img yet just like the new t-mobile Rom over here in the u.k.

• 2 weeks later...
The patched Hero recovery image from Cyanogen is super-useful, but having to boot it up via fastboot all the time is a pain... so why not install it on your device permanently? :D

To do so...

- download this file and extract it to your PC or mac

- open a command prompt to the directory containing the extracted files

- type the following commands (prefix each command with ./ if you're on a mac)

adb shell reboot bootloader (wait for device to reboot into bootloader)

adb shell mount /sdcard

adb push cm-hero-recovery.img /sdcard/cm-hero-recovery.img

adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/cm-hero-recovery.img

Job done!

Now if you pull the battery and turn on the device while holding down 'home', you should get the patched recovery image. Handy! :P

P

Ok I am a complete noob when it comes to this and I am trying to follow the instructions. Obviously I am doing something wrong.

I am using Vista 32bit

I have downloaded the file and extracted it.

I connect my Hero to my pc and run adb shell reboot bootloader

However I was getting "error: device not found"

So I decided to try activiating the HTC Sync.

This seemed to work and it would reboot into the bootloader.

However after that I could not send anymore commands as it would lose the connection and say "error: device not found"

What am I doing wrong?

E:\Android\Modoco\patched recovery\Hero>adb shell reboot bootloader

E:\Android\Modoco\patched recovery\Hero>fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img

E:\Android\Modoco\patched recovery\Hero>adb shell mount /sdcard

error: device not found

Thanks for you help.

Bogor

Ok I am a complete noob when it comes to this and I am trying to follow the instructions. Obviously I am doing something wrong.

I am using Vista 32bit

I have downloaded the file and extracted it.

I connect my Hero to my pc and run adb shell reboot bootloader

However I was getting "error: device not found"

So I decided to try activiating the HTC Sync.

This seemed to work and it would reboot into the bootloader.

However after that I could not send anymore commands as it would lose the connection and say "error: device not found"

What am I doing wrong?

E:\Android\Modoco\patched recovery\Hero>adb shell reboot bootloader

E:\Android\Modoco\patched recovery\Hero>fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img

E:\Android\Modoco\patched recovery\Hero>adb shell mount /sdcard

error: device not found

Thanks for you help.

Bogor

Use flashrec

Info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=559613

Guest Weasley

Hi Paul I have encounter the following error when i trying to mount the sd card

C:\modaco\Hero>adb shell mount /sdcard

mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 on /sdcard failed: No such file or director

y

Any Solution for it or have i done something wrong?

guys...i need a help regarding this custom recovery. i installed amon ra 1.2.3 with flashrec in my friend's hero which got only1 fat32 partition. . then updated to modaco 2.8. but for some reason wifi wasnt working. did nandroid backup and tried some other roms. but wifi dint work. then i went into amonra custom recovery and deleted dalvik cache and did a reboot. then when i went in recovery again it was showing this error message-->

E: cant read misc : (no space left on device). i tried to do a nandroid backup but i said could not run command. cant do nandroid restore. previous error mesage shows always.

i really need this custom recovery back. please guys. some help will be really appreciated. cheers

Trying this method out on the CDMA Hero on Sprint using Windows 7 64-bit.

At the command prompt, install-recovery-cdma-windows.bat wouldn't immediately work. In order to make it work, I had to remove all instances of "./" After that, the batch file runs properly... for a bit at least.

The batch seems to stop after adb-windows shell /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh. Afterwards, this is displayed:

[+] Using newer pipe_inode_info layout

Opening: /proc/651/fd/3

SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.

#

I took a look at the batch file, and I know there are a few more commands it is supposed to run. Additionally, when I pull the battery and restart while holding down home, I just get a screen with a exclamation mark and a phone (a normal boot gets it back to regular Android just fine, so fortunately, it's not bricked).

Any ideas as to why the batch stops early?

No luck here with scripts completing on Win7 or Mac 10.5 - stopped at "enjoy the shell" right after it SUs the adb shell. Executed the script by hand instead; <3 TextEdit on one side, Terminal on the other.

Guest milko9000

Question! I installed the cynagon recovery mod when I first got my Hero, so I could update to the modaco rom (then 2.0 I think, maybe sooner). I've been updating the Modaco rom ever since, great! Should I also update the recovery image, is there any benefit? And is it just a case of overwriting the old one by repeating the steps? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marcony0
The patched recovery image is your gateway to Custom ROM installs and all sorts of cool stuff... here's how to install it onto your device.

- download this file and extract it to your PC or mac

- open a command prompt to the directory containing the extracted files

- type the following commands appropriate to your device / pc...

GSM Hero (a Hero with a SIM card - e.g. the European Hero) on LINUX

chmod +x ./adb-linux

chmod +x ./fastboot-linux

chmod +x ./install-recovery-gsm-linux.sh

./adb-linux shell reboot bootloader (wait for device to reboot into bootloader)

./fastboot-linux boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.2.3.img (wait for device to boot into recovery)

./install-recovery-gsm-linux.sh
CDMA Hero (a Hero without a SIM card - e.g. the Sprint Hero) on LINUX
chmod +x ./install-recovery-cdma-linux.sh

./install-recovery-cdma-linux.sh
Job done!
There is a slight problem here, YOU must run the first adb command as root user to start up the deamon otherwise
1.1-hero-recovery $ ./adb-linux shell reboot bootloader 

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

error: insufficient permissions for device
you got to kill the daemon and do
1.1-hero-recovery $ sudo ./adb-linux shell reboot bootloader 

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

everything from there should just work fine without sudo :)

Guest eleven_nt

hi, im getting stuck at the fastboot command (im using a mac).

it says downloading boot.img failed.

so i tried recovery flash, which starts with a website on the textarea, i pressed backup, changed it to /sdcard/cmg-hero-recovery.img then it says failed.

help please