22/Jan - Stock ROMs + radios in update.zip format for GSM Hero

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Stevie B

Hello everyone. My first post to this forum and would like to thank Paul for some excellent info.

I'm new to the world of smartphones and the HTC Hero in particular. I have a G2 Touch (for approximately three weeks) and have successfully rooted it and unbranded it following the info within this forum. Many thx!

I'm with T-mobile and the signal is poor to say the least! Hence this post - the radio updates are of interest to me. Now do I need a specific version for T-Mobile or all radio updates generic? I'm assuming the latter, in which case, what is the procedure for updating please?

Thx again to Paul and all contributors

Steve

Guest Funkyfin2000

Ok Paul will wait for the rooted version you will be posting shortly. Can you provide instructions with that to install.

How do you go about installing the radio file then?? Copy to the SD card presumably?

I echo the guy above, really appreciate your help and input to us other users who are learning..

Guest Stevie B

OK, to those wanting to know how to add the radio image to their phone, it is the same procedure as the rooting i.e.

FYI I used the 63.18.55.06_6.35.05.15 download

1. copy the radio zip file to your sdcard and rename as update.zip

2. reboot your phone using the home+power button sequence or the adb method (your choice)

3. the phone will list an option to install the update.zip file, select

The phone works out that it is a radio image and installs as appropriate

Time will tell if it has made any difference for me...

Simples :D

OK, to those wanting to know how to add the radio image to their phone, it is the same procedure as the rooting i.e.

FYI I used the 63.18.55.06_6.35.05.15 download

1. copy the radio zip file to your sdcard and rename as update.zip

2. reboot your phone using the home+power button sequence or the adb method (your choice)

3. the phone will list an option to install the update.zip file, select

The phone works out that it is a radio image and installs as appropriate

Time will tell if it has made any difference for me...

Simples :D

Hi,

What is that 1.79.482.3 version? Where does it come from?

Regards

EDIT: sorry here is the analysis

Edited by Lox-

Guest davidhorn

I'd recommend avoiding the latest HTC generic until the fast ROM Paul played with is released. This one has quite a few problems:

* Facebook / People sync is broken, it won't download photos or show updates.

* Peculiar SD card glitch (possibly related to above)

* Paid apps not showing in Market

Gone back to the stock T-Mobile for now, waiting for the new fast one. :-)

Guest Funkyfin2000
So does the new radio give better reception? What are everyone's thoughts?

Yeah seems to be a little better, it's interesting where i live the reception is not great for orange, and ive been getting the no service message quite a lot (almost led me to send the phone back) but it seems better ish with the new radio update on!

Shall keep an eye and let you know :D

Guest ritdaw
Yeah seems to be a little better, it's interesting where i live the reception is not great for orange, and ive been getting the no service message quite a lot (almost led me to send the phone back) but it seems better ish with the new radio update on!

Shall keep an eye and let you know :D

I will keep an eye on this thread to see what peoples thoughts are! I really want to get my signal a little better, but won't do the upgrade unless it proves to be useful. Out of interest, I presume this can be done and it doesn't affect the ROM i.e. still have an unrooted phone? Or not? It's a work phone so I am a little wary of flashing things!

Guest Funkyfin2000
I will keep an eye on this thread to see what peoples thoughts are! I really want to get my signal a little better, but won't do the upgrade unless it proves to be useful. Out of interest, I presume this can be done and it doesn't affect the ROM i.e. still have an unrooted phone? Or not? It's a work phone so I am a little wary of flashing things!

I wouldn't worry about doing it mate, its not very complicated!

Guest Stevie B

Well I installed the radio update earlier today hoping to get better T-Mobile reception. Unfortunately, this hasn't happened - still crap. I would like to know if there are any release notes for the radip updates so I/we can find out exactly what is being fixed.

No harm in doing this update. Does not affect the ROM, works on unrooted and does not make the signal any worse (no reports so far).

worth a punt IMO!

Guest ritdaw
No harm in doing this update. Does not affect the ROM, works on unrooted and does not make the signal any worse (no reports so far).

worth a punt IMO!

Might give it a go tomorrow then.....

Guest zyborg

I'm trying to update to the newest radio (63.18.55.06_6.35.05.15). Doing this straight after having updated to Modaco Custom Hero ROM 1.1. After second boot, I've now been looking at the "Formatting CACHE:..." message on the CyanogenMod system recovery screen for 10 minutes... Is that normal?

Guest huey-t

I've tested both the original shipped radio and the latest leaked radio - in comparison, I'm finding the leaked one to be giving me mobile data issues; sometimes the downstream data is not working and only the upstream is working and the only way to fix it is a reboot. But on the flipside - I get better WiFi connection with the leaked radio in comparison to the original shipped radio.

Guest Captain Jasper

Hi, firstly, thanks to all the amazing efforts and advice from those on this site - what a community!!! I only wish I could input more.

I have applied the radio update to my T-Mobile G2 Touch as I felt the signal strength was lacking, the phone kept dropping and reconnecting the signal. I had an app called No Signal Alert running which would beep when it lost and regained the signal so I had a good idea on how lousy the reception was.

Anyway, after applying the update yesterday, I haven't lost signal once whilst working in the office. Admittedly the signal strength is definitely lower than it was on my Nokia N97 but I would say that there is an improvement.

For any other fellow newbie's out there follow Paul's guide and you will be fine. Get the recovery image onto your phone first as this get's you into a kind of "console" from where you can select the radio update from your sdcard (once you have put it on there - no need to unzip it!).

Thanks again.

Guest markya23
I've tested both the original shipped radio and the latest leaked radio - in comparison, I'm finding the leaked one to be giving me mobile data issues; sometimes the downstream data is not working and only the upstream is working and the only way to fix it is a reboot. But on the flipside - I get better WiFi connection with the leaked radio in comparison to the original shipped radio.

Glad it's not just me, Im seeing this too when roaming across cells (e.g. on a train) - might be a 2g/3g handover issue?

Guest vik2001

i loaded the new radio on the g2 touch, went on sweet as pie. hard to say if its made any improvements, tho a call did cut of for no reason. but cud have been one of those things. im always up for a update anyhows, im a phreakin update junkie. yeaaaaa boiiiiiiiiiiiii :D