22/Jan - Stock ROMs + radios in update.zip format for GSM Hero

Guest PaulOBrien

when apply update.zip of radio and after writting new radio complete and reboot, it goes to CyanogenMod and my phone always stuck at "formatting CACHE".

I have to reboot again to be back to normal Hero UI.

Is it OK what I done or I have to wait for "formatting CACHE" to finish (wait more than 10 mins, still not)???

Thanks,

when apply update.zip of radio and after writting new radio complete and reboot, it goes to CyanogenMod and my phone always stuck at "formatting CACHE".

I have to reboot again to be back to normal Hero UI.

Is it OK what I done or I have to wait for "formatting CACHE" to finish (wait more than 10 mins, still not)???

Thanks,

Just select reboot from the menu (formatting cache doesn't say complete and it only takes a few seconds)

Guest Russ-ST24
Added HTC Generic 2.73.405.5.

Still uploading:

HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 with latest radio

HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 rooted

HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 Windows RUU

:)

P

Hi Paul,

Just to clarify, if I have a completely stock unlocked white Hero when the link is up for the Windows RUU package can I just run it and flash it from my Windows XP machine?

No mods needed or hacking etc on my phone before?

Also just out of interest will this wipe out my device? no biggy just wanted to know.

Thank, you are man!

Russ

Guest geovass
Added HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 rooted

Added HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 Windows RUU

Still uploading:

HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 with latest radio

P

Paul is HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 faster than 1.5.1 ?

Guest cdmackay
Shipping ROMs in RUU format - these ROMs are packaged in RUU format for installation via windows and are completely generic (i.e. NOTE rooted).

typo, I think? :)

Guest packetlss

Quick update for all you people considering updating.

Stay away from the RUU installer for now!

(thats the HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 Windows RUU)

It will install a new HBOOT (SPL) version that do not allow you to boot or flash the custom made recovery image later on. And since it also installs a new recovery image your are stuck on it.

There is a way out of it and going back (I spent several hours figuring this out tonight), but it's quite complicated and involves flashing the HBOOT back (which can be dangerous and could potentially brick your phone if done wrong).

If anyone is stuck in a nonrooted ROM state due to using the RUU, with the new HBOOT drop me a PM and I'll try and help you out. If many people need it I'll do a writeup about it

So stick with Paul's update.zips for now. They work very well.

Guest eagle.al

Hey Paul ! Must Say, this is great work u'r doing here..

just wanted to know will the new rom (2.73.405.5) update my SPL version aswell, i would want it to, but i just hope

it wont be one of those "perfect spl's" that were a major issue with the some of the htc magic's. which took a very long time

to solve, and still is a very complicated process for a work around....thanks, And yes i must say this is one of the tidiest

forums i've come across since a long time. gr8 work:)

Quick update for all you people considering updating.

Stay away from the RUU installer for now!

(thats the HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 Windows RUU)

It will install a new HBOOT (SPL) version that do not allow you to boot or flash the custom made recovery image later on. And since it also installs a new recovery image your are stuck on it.

There is a way out of it and going back (I spent several hours figuring this out tonight), but it's quite complicated and involves flashing the HBOOT back (which can be dangerous and could potentially brick your phone if done wrong).

If anyone is stuck in a nonrooted ROM state due to using the RUU, with the new HBOOT drop me a PM and I'll try and help you out. If many people need it I'll do a writeup about it

So stick with Paul's update.zips for now. They work very well.

Paul, so installing this: http://content.modaco.net/hero/update-hero...05.5-signed.zip is fine

but installing this : http://content.modaco.net/hero/RUU_Hero_HT...ed_NoDriver.zip using the RUU installer is not a good idea for people looking to root or flash custom recovery images.

Is my understanding correct?

If so, does that imply that the former link (update.zip) does not install a new recovery image, while the latter (RUU) does not?

Question for those of you who have installed this update : does it really solve the lag problem? HTC just announced on Twitter that the official update is coming soon, with no indicative dates, just 'soon'

Paul, so installing this: http://content.modaco.net/hero/update-hero...05.5-signed.zip is fine

but installing this : http://content.modaco.net/hero/RUU_Hero_HT...ed_NoDriver.zip using the RUU installer is not a good idea for people looking to root or flash custom recovery images.

Is my understanding correct?

If so, does that imply that the former link (update.zip) does not install a new recovery image, while the latter (RUU) does not?

Question for those of you who have installed this update : does it really solve the lag problem? HTC just announced on Twitter that the official update is coming soon, with no indicative dates, just 'soon'

I believe you are correct!

And yes, the performance improvments are awesome. Like night and day! :)

Edited by z0nic

Guest gavinfabl

Paul thanks for your efforts. I have the original rom ie unrooted and never upgraded.

If a do a wipe first, can I apply either the new HTC generic with root straight away? Or your new custom 1.6 when out. If I use a2sd I assume I will need to do some sd card formatting.

Also what does RUU mean? Is it flashing using your pc. I have xp and vista. Kept my xp one when I was flashing my Omnia.

Paul thanks for your efforts. I have the original rom ie unrooted and never upgraded.

If a do a wipe first, can I apply either the new HTC generic with root straight away? Or your new custom 1.6 when out. If I use a2sd I assume I will need to do some sd card formatting.

Also what does RUU mean? Is it flashing using your pc. I have xp and vista. Kept my xp one when I was flashing my Omnia.

I had to do this before applying the HTC generic with root.

Guest fredzer

Installed the new (rooted) ROMs, works good, but I don't notice JAVA as was announced by Paul in the video on the new ROM a few days ago. Is this a different rom?

Installed the new (rooted) ROMs, works good, but I don't notice JAVA as was announced by Paul in the video on the new ROM a few days ago. Is this a different rom?

Java is only in the Asia ROMs. Or in my custom ROMs. Custom ROM based on 2.73.405.5 online soon!

P

Guest geovass
Java is only in the Asia ROMs. Or in my custom ROMs. Custom ROM based on 2.73.405.5 online soon!

P

go go go... version 1.6 right ?

What would be different form the rooted stock ROM except from app additions etc?

Guest scoobytwo

ok, Stupid questions time. :)

I have an orange phone with the build number 1.76.61.3. Do i need to install the orange rom or can i do the generic HTC one? (as the modaco rom exists i'm 99% certain i can install either but want to ask).

With the radio, currently my baseband version is 63.18.55.06U_6.35.04.25. Do i need to install the matching radio listed or does it not matter what one i install? What are the differences between them?

Radios

63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 - download (as packaged with HTC Generic 2.73.405.5)

63.18.55.06_6.35.05.31 - download

63.18.55.06_6.35.05.15 - download

63.18.55.06_6.35.04.25 - download

thanks

ok, Stupid questions time. :)

I have an orange phone with the build number 1.76.61.3. Do i need to install the orange rom or can i do the generic HTC one? (as the modaco rom exists i'm 99% certain i can install either but want to ask).

With the radio, currently my baseband version is 63.18.55.06U_6.35.04.25. Do i need to install the matching radio listed or does it not matter what one i install? What are the differences between them?

thanks

Upgrade to the latest radio (top of the list).

If you're not worried about root you can install the plain generic one. Or you can install the rooted one. Or you can install my custom ROM. <bigbrother>YOU DECIDE!</bigbrother>

P

MoDaCo Custom ROM 2.0 - based on 2.73.405.5 - is now available in 'core' and 'enhanced' versions here! :)

Enjoy! :)

P

Great, I wished I would have selected one of those. Instead I flashed with the RUU (bad habit from Windows Mobile). Now I'm stuck with signed SPL/bootloader and can't root my phone or install your ROM... Got any solution?

Guest scoobytwo
Upgrade to the latest radio (top of the list).

If you're not worried about root you can install the plain generic one. Or you can install the rooted one. Or you can install my custom ROM. <bigbrother>YOU DECIDE!</bigbrother>

P

Thanks paul.