Nano editor for Android

Guest PaulOBrien

If you don't know what this is, then you don't need to know! :D

I successfully compiled Nano to run on Android! ;)

http://content.modaco.net/dropzone/nano.android.zip

It will run perfectly on any ROM that has terminfo set up, if your ROM doesn't, you may need to do this before running nano:

su
export TERMINFO=/etc/terminfo
export TERM=linux[/code]

Any problems, holler! :angry: I'll be putting this in my next Hero pack too...

P

Guest markvader

Great work Paul

Dont personally have a use for it at the minute and since my cyanogen 4.0.2 build is running smoothly on my Magic I might leave it to you experts to implement it into a future build,

but was just wondering where you have install it to,

default install location on any other linux based OS is usually /usr/local/bin/ but since there isnt the local folder in /system/usr/ on android. just curious more than anything

Mark

Guest mzilikazi
If you don't know what this is, then you don't need to know! :D

It will run perfectly on any ROM that has terminfo set up, if your ROM doesn't, you may need to do this before running nano:

su

export TERM=linux

Any problems, holler! :angry: I'll be putting this in my next Hero pack too...

P

Sweet! Any chance we could see a nano.apk?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest seaders

hi guys, I'm new to the forum, but would love to get nano working on my device (Archos 5IT). I am just about able to use vi normally, but the formatting of it on the A5IT is all over the place and it's impossible to know what you're actually doing on it.

anyway, the A5IT is rooted (we have a busybox 'su'), but we don't yet have write access to many system mounted areas, like /system, /etc and so on. needless to say that /etc/terminfo isn't there, either. is there any way around these problems, or will I just have to wait until we get more access to the devices' innards?

• 2 months later...
Guest Brian R. Hickey
If you don't know what this is, then you don't need to know! ;)

su

export TERM=linux

Any problems, holler! ;) I'll be putting this in my next Hero pack too...

P

Thank you I was about to smash this thing against the wall. I kept getting "Error opening terminal: xterm" until I added those lovely export commands. This was on a HTC Hero for Sprint btw.

• 2 months later...
Guest Gomi No Sensei
If you don't know what this is, then you don't need to know! :)

I successfully compiled Nano to run on Android! :P

su

export TERM=linux

Any problems, holler! :D I'll be putting this in my next Hero pack too...

P

I have no terminfo on my stock root nexus1... i.e. there is nothing in /etc/terminfo or /system/etc/terminfo and dumb terminal doesn't work either. Any way to set it up without another active linux system?

• 3 years later...
Guest rikka

I have no terminfo on my stock root nexus1... i.e. there is nothing in /etc/terminfo or /system/etc/terminfo and dumb terminal doesn't work either. Any way to set it up without another active linux system?

I would like to bump this thread because I am experiencing the same problem with my stock, rooted, international Samsung Galaxy S3 from Telcel, Mexico. Any ideas of how to make it work?

Edited by rikka