10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom Hero ROM! No 'wipe' is required for anyone coming from MCR 1.2 onwards, or the stock 2.73.x updates.

You can now create a customised ROM containing only the parts you required - click here to read more about the MoDaCo Custom Custom ROM online kitchen!

MCR now includes a MoDaCo Custom Kernel modified by Teknologist, TCK, for additional features.

MCR now optionally includes Wavesecure in ROM, allowing you to lock / locate / wipe your device remotely in the event of loss and be notified if the SIM is changed. The application cannot be uninstalled by a thief and we we have actively worked with Wavesecure to ensure that your settings will survive a hard reset!

This ROM is based on the 2.73.x release series (currently 2.73.771.73 together with my own optimisations) for the best possible performance! The ROM is now available in 2 core versions, with and without Chinese input, with optional add on packs that can be applied to either ROM.

Included in the 'core' version

- Built with my new MCR build process which reduces size and boost speed of the ROM

- Includes Teknologist's Custom Kernel 1.91 featuring additional filesystem support (EXT4, NFS, CramFS, SquashFS 4.0), CompCache modules and config, DroidWall support and much more! See here for details.

- Rooted with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK

- A2SD included (fully automatic - thanks cyanogen!) - create a EXT2, EXT3 or EXT4 partition as your second partition to use. dalvik-cache remains on device.

- Added Jbed Java

- Added Google Voice Search and required speech library

- Added Dropbear SSH server running by default, check 'About' screen for password (port 2222). You can now remove this by running /system/bin/removedropbear.sh

- Added Notes app from Dragon ROM

- Added Spare Parts (run it and switch the 2 animation types to 'fast' for an even better experience!)

- Added android-wifi-tether 1.60 pre3 (props to the developer, this is a great app!)

- Added WiFi Status indicator, with kind permission of Andrew Schwimmer

- Added busybox 1.15.3 with Droid Explorer support

- Added Titanium Backup

- Added all 4 available HTC widgets

- Added nano 2.09 - text editor for use in shell mode

- Added parted and sqlite tools

- Added terminfo and settings to boot.img to allow nano etc. use

- Added files required for Debian linux including loxley's updated bootdeb script

- Added huge APN list

- Moved Quickoffice to data partition to allow easy uninstall

- Deleted 'Learn More' application

- ROM now includes touch focus in Camera app

- ROM now supports shortcuts using BetterCut (and therefore I assume anycut!) in Rosie

- Silenced boot sound (it's still there and can be reactivated with a file edit)

- You can now check your MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) version from the about menu

Included in main 'enhanced' add on pack

- Added Business Card Scanner

- Added 'Plurk' client (currently unavailable)

- Added WAP browser

Other optional add on packs (apply as normal update zips)

- 'WaveSecure' add on pack (puts Wavesecure in ROM - it is no longer in core)

- 'Boot Sounds' add on pack (restores boot sounds)

- 'Hebrew Fonts' add on pack (installs hebrew fonts)

Recommended applications (available from the market)

- More Locale for setting non english Locales

Downloads

This ROM is also available customised to your exact requirements in the MoDaCo Custom Custom ROM online kitchen in the second post of this topic - check it out!

'Core': DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: d767e7335a4bb6ef022e7d3082f28bb7

'Enhanced' add on pack: DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro)

'Wavesecure' add on pack: http://www.wavesecure.com/installations/update.zip

'Boot Sounds' add on pack: DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro)

'Hebrew Fonts' add on pack: DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro)

ENSURE YOU DO A NANDROID BACKUP SO YOU CAN 'ROLL BACK' IF REQUIRED!

A 'wipe' is MANDATORY when installing this ROM if you are coming from pre MCR 1.2 or a stock 1.x ROM, and you MUST do this BEFORE applying the update zip (as the update zip puts files on the data partition)! I also recommend you install the latest radio from my 'update zips' topic if you have not done so.

Please note that first boot may take a little while, especially if you have a lot of apps on your A2SD partition. Be patient! If you want a real clean start or you have issues with your existing A2SD installed apps when you boot, you need to wipe your EXT3 partition on SD too by executing 'adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app', 'adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app-private' and 'adb shell reboot' :angry:

The ROM is in an update.zip format for installation via the custom recovery image, I also strongly recommend installing the latest radio (63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29 at time of writing). As always, do a Nandroid backup before you do anything... just in case! ;)

For the complete newbies, these are the steps you need to take with a 'virgin' Hero:

- Download the patched recovery image linked above and install as detailed in that post

- Download this custom ROM, and copy it to your SD card

- Enter the recovery image (if you're not in it already) by powering on while pressing 'home'

- Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup

- If you copied the custom rom as update.zip, select 'apply sdcard:update.zip', else select the option below.

- all done

If you would like to remove parts of the ROM that you do not use, see this post.

Feedback / feature requests welcome! :D

Finally, if you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta ROM releases and access to the the online kitchens.

P

The MoDaCo Custom Custom ROM 3.2 for GSM Hero online kitchen is now available!

The online kitchen is currently only available to my MoDaCo premium members (those who have signed up to MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus) as it is not yet running on an infrastructure that can support a huge number of users. This will be the case for the foreseeable future as the kitchen system is developed.

With that said, for those who can test the kitchen, enjoy! :D This technology will be coming to other ROMs and will also be available for other ROM creators to use via our Chef's Team.

P

Changelog

Added internal task killer configuration tweak.

Update script fix from teknologist

Now includes freeasbeer's busybox update

Full rebuild

3G speed tweaks to build.prop

Started migrating Android 2.1 resources (some app icons currently)

Miscellaneous tweaks

Rebuild based on the .73 update

Updated Titanium Backup

Updated WiFi Tether

Updated APNs list

Updated Wireless Tether application

Updated Wavesecure application

Based on shipping 2.73.405.66

Includes Teknologist's kernel 1.91

Built with my new MCR build process which reduces size and boost speed of the ROM

Updated Busybox, ROM is now compatible with Droid Explorer

All 4 available HTC widgets now included in ROM

Updated Wireless Tether app

Added Titanium Backup

Moved base to 2.73.405.66

Updated busybox to fix colour coding ls issue

Updated kernel to Teknologist 1.9

Updated wpa_supplicant (0.5.11)

Moved base to 2.73.405.61

Added Teknologist's 1.8 kernel with 80MB compcache, tun.ko etc. etc.

Added loxley's updated bootdeb script

Added super-APN file from Cyanogen's ROM

Added Hebrew fonts add on pack

MoDaCo Custom Kernel 1.2 featuring additional filesystem support (EXT4, NFS, CramFS, SquashFS 4.0), CompCache 0.5.4 modules and DroidWall support

Updated WiFi Tether (1.60 pre3)

Script to optionally remove dropbear SSH (run /system/bin/dropbearremove.sh via ADB)

Moved VoiceSearch to data partition (aids updgrading via market)

Removed Swapper and MoreLocale, now advised downloads in main post

Changed file split between partitions to resolve issue of system partition running out of space

Updated WaveSecure, moved to add on pack

New Boot sounds restore add on pack

Dropbear SSH running by default, check 'About' screen for password (port 2222)

Add Notes app from Dragon to core

Add Swapper to core

Add WiFi Status to core

Added Voice Search to core with libspeech library

MCR now includes Wavesecure in ROM, allowing you to lock / locate / wipe your device remotely in the event of loss and be notified if the SIM is changed. The application cannot be uninstalled by a thief and we are actively working with Wavesecure to ensure that in a forthcoming release, your settings will survive a hard reset!

Chinese version available again

Fixed dropbear permissions

Busybox shortcuts fix

build.prop updated for market fix

Removed IM app due to incompatability with freshly wiped devices.

Faster than 2.2!

Recommended for use with radio 63.18.55.06FU_6.35.07.08

New WWE core image

Another busybox update - 1.15.2 release

Added dropbear binaries in ROM (will add as a service in a later release)

Replaced CustomLocale with MoreLocales

Added IM application in ROM

Maps is now no longer removed

Other tweaks I forgot!

Core is now available in regular and chinese flavours, the enhanced version is an addon pack to the core of your choice

Based on different ROM - you now get the new People widget

Another busybox update - 1.15.1 release

Added parted in ROM for partitioning SD

Other tweaks I forgot!

Corrected tun.ko

Updated busybox

Minor tweaks to unify build with sapphire and dream versions

Added new bootdeb script

Minor tweaks to startup script

Based on 2.73.405.5 WWE SHIP update

Updated A2SD to leave dalvik-cache on device (should improve performance, we're not that tight on space!)

Restored bootscreen (no sound)

Restored customize directory, this will give only standard WWE build locales - use Custom Locale for others, or 'adb shell remount' then 'adb shell rm -rf /system/customize' then wipe for full menu

Split features into 'core' and 'enhanced' versions

More optimisations

Removed customize directory, added 'Custom Locale' for setting non English locales

Added version information to build.prop

Even faster!

Fixed Streetview

Restore Chinese IME

Fixed update script to not error if device is not wiped

Fixed FC in Messages app

Fixed broken WiFi in 1.2!

Huge changes based on new core from leaked update, see first post!

Fix for market issues

Initial Release

Removing parts of the ROM you don't want (Twitter, Plurk etc.)

Removing parts of the ROM you don't want is actually pretty straightforward on a rooted ROM. You need a PC or a Mac, and ADB. Handily, i've packaged up ADB for both platforms here! :D The first step is to download and extracty this zip and then open a command prompt to the directory containing the extracted files.

Next, just enter the commands below (you will need to replace 'adb' with './adb' if you are on a Mac) and you're done! Remember these changes are permanent, and can only be undone by re-applying the latest zip update.

Note that these commands are case sensitive!

Enjoy - if you need help removing anything else specific, post in topic! :angry:

P

Removing Business Card Reader (enhanced version only)

adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/*BizCard*[/code] [i]Removing Chinese Resources (including Chinese input) (enhanced version only)[/i]
[code]adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/HTC_CIME*
adb shell rm /system/app/CN*
Removing Footprints
adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/*Foot*[/code] [i]Removing HTC Sync[/i]
[code]adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/PCSCII*
Removing Java
adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/Jbed*
adb shell rm /system/lib/*jbed*[/code] [i]Removing Plurk (enhanced version only)[/i]
[code]adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/*Plurk*
Removing Stocks
adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/*Stock*[/code] [i]Removing Twitter[/i]
[code]adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/*Twit*
Removing WAP Browser (enhanced version only)
adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/Wap*
adb shell rm /system/lib/*wap*[/code]

Guest JamesKing

Are there any instructions on how to perform a "wipe"? It doesn't appear to be an option in the recovery image... (that is, assuming this doesn't mean a full factory reset, which would lose all my contacts, messages, etc..?

Edited by JamesKing

Guest janjan2

Thanks a lot Paul. Great work. Is this rom has Danish language? Or Any way to make it work in this rom.. once again great job. thanks

Edited by janjan2

Guest JamesKing
JAmes as i understand it putting a new ROM on you will loose all that data, hence why you must HTC Sync first!

thanks

downloading htc sync now...

Guest Stevie B

Paul, I have installed your custom ROM image without wiping my phone first... To my surprise, it retained all my contacts and email config etc. I checked the kernel revision etc in "About Phone" settings to make doubley sure... :D

Hey,

its really nice, thanks for your work :-)

But I have no problems downloading and installing paid apps.

Keeps telling that download failed, but free stuff is loading.

any ideas?

For anyone having the problem with the market, please do the following...

- download this file

- push it to the device with 'adb remount' then 'adb push build.prop /system/build.prop'

- reboot with 'adb shell reboot'

Then try again and let me know if the problem is resolved?

P

For anyone having the problem with the market, please do the following...

- download this file

- push it to the device with 'adb remount' then 'adb push build.prop /system/build.prop'

- reboot with 'adb shell reboot'

Then try again and let me know if the problem is resolved?

P

No, does not work.

Still the same.

br

phlo