10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Have you tried just running the 2.73.405.5 RUU from my updates post?

A fastboot flash won't work as they are not signed.

P

Thanks for your replies Paul, but I'm in quite a mess since I have no access via usb , and no access via sd.

The only way I seem to be able to communicate with the phone is fastboot usb.

In all other aspects the phone is running as normal, but I'm a) stuck with drizzy's rom that I don't like in comparison to modaco 2.2 :) have no way to do anything interesting with the phone :/

Could I fastboot flash my stock nandroid backup possibly?

The only problem with that is that if that doesn't fix my sd, I have no way to get modaco 2.2 on my phone OR update with ruu. Possibly I could send my phone in under warranty though.

What would you do in my situation ? The phone definitively isn't bricked, but has a lack of access to adb/htc sync/sd after a rom update that probably went wrong (I don't know why, followed the instructions exactly).

Really really thankful for any input on the matter, and thanks in advance!

/Hampan

Ah, just selected English from the 'Locale & text' /'Select locale' settings and bobs your aunt - all sorted.

Strange, as I can't remember changing it before.

Sweet ROM btw Paul :) looking forward if you do decide to release more versions!

Guest zippyioa

Hi Paul,

I FINALLY got round to upgrading the stock ROM to your Core version on page 1 of this thread. I have to say its has transformed my phone into a totally new beast!!

Overall my Hero was great out of the box, but a small amount of playing would soon display a bit of lag here and there, especially when scrolling screens (e.g the Sense screens or in contacts or albums).

After installing your Core ROM I wasn't expecting too much, but since installing I can honestly say that I have not experienced any lag, and the transition between screens is SO much quicker than the original ROM.

Having previously demo'd my Hero to iphone fans at work I was left with a feeling of embarassment as they watched it lag from screen to screen. Today I showed them a totally different phone, which they all agreed is now a serious contender to their beloved iphone.

As you can tell I am very happy! My advice to anyone who is not sure whether to upgrade or not is simply to just take the plunge. It is a simple process and I didnt even lose my settings or data (although its best to backup just in case!)

Cheers yet again P!!!!

Zippyioa

Removing parts of the ROM you don't want (Twitter, Plurk etc.)

Removing parts of the ROM you don't want is actually pretty straightforward on a rooted ROM. You need a PC or a Mac, and ADB. Handily, i've packaged up ADB for both platforms here! :) The first step is to download and extracty this zip and then open a command prompt to the directory containing the extracted files.

Next, just enter the commands below (you will need to replace 'adb' with './adb' if you are on a Mac) and you're done! Remember these changes are permanent, and can only be undone by re-applying the latest zip update.

Note that these commands are case sensitive!

Enjoy - if you need help removing anything else specific, post in topic! :)

Hi,

sry but this doesnt work on my hero. my mac says i hat no permissons 4 that.

i root und put the modaco room on my hero. i dont no what else to do. :/

br

M

Edited by brum82

Is it possible to get the custom modaco rom as a nandroid backup?

I'm asking since I'm stuck with drizzy's rom and no SD card access and would like to do a fastboot flash of system.img userdata.img and boot.img ..

Would this even be possible if I had the .img's ?

A fastboot flash won't work as they are not signed.

A system.img backup would actually be useful for me too so I can test the ROM using the emulator since I don't have a device to test on (yet).

Is there a simple way to create a working system.img from the update file? Should be straight-forward on linux if the img format is just a direct partition image, right?

Guest Captain Jasper

Just upgraded from 1.1 to 2.2 with no problems by following Paul's instructions - newbies just need to read carefully and follow it to the letter!

Also repartioned the sdcard for apps2sd to work automatically. Everything is great and the speed increase is well worth it - cracking piece of work.

I do have the sms and bouncing keyboard prob but more importantly the Wireless Tether for Root Users app gives the error "Your phone is in an inconsistent state" when you try to disconnect it. Not sure if Paul is in contact with the developer of this app but any resolution would be gratefully received. It can be fixed by a reboot but its a pain.

One thing I would like to see is if any improvements could be made to the camera focusing and shooting time - the lag is just a bit too much and without a flash you do get more blurry pics. I used to have an N97 that I updated regularly and I know that they managed to improve this - here's hoping!

Glad to see Paul is continuing with the ROMs. Have duely upgraded my subscription. Many Thanks.

Guest Captain Jasper
If I understand, I make 3 partition with this guide (http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news/how-to-manually-partition-your-sd-card-for-android-apps2sd/), I reboot and Modaco detect my partition and move app on SD and use swap ?

That's correct llaumgui. DO NOT upgrade your fs to ext4 though, apart from this the guide is very good. Once upgraded everything is automatic ;-)

Edited by Captain Jasper

Guest llaumgui
That's correct llaumgui. DO NOT upgrade your fs to ext4 though, apart from this the guide is very good. Once upgraded everything is automatic ;-)
Thx. I have do that but I find that my hero is very slow now... I have a lot of freeze on desktop transition...

Guest JamesKing
I've noticed something with the MoDaCo 2.2e ROM. When you unlock and hit 'Phone', the keypad that pops up isn't "standard", its numbered correctly, just the letters on the keys aren't of the normal alphabet. Looks Greek or something with the Alpha/Omega characters/letters. Anyone else seeing this or am I going mad?

Ah, just selected English from the 'Locale & text' /'Select locale' settings and bobs your aunt - all sorted.

Sweet ROM btw Paul :) looking forward if you do decide to release more versions!

I had this same problem... Don't know why it suddenly occured. I'm on the MoDaCo 2.2c ROM. I recently installed Twidroid, not sure if that's got anything to do with

it.... also recently installed an update to WorldTour and Aurora Device Search, along with SportsTap. Did you install any of these?

Alright, here's a step-by-step instruction for people suffering from SMS / Messages infinite "Loading..." message (it's just a step-by-step compilation of what can be found in other posts).

I assume you have a recent ROM (I tested on 2.2), and adb accessible.

Here's the magic:

adb shell

sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db

ALTER TABLE sms ADD COLUMN index_on_sim INTEGER DEFAULT -1;

(Press Control-D)

exit

Mind the semicolon (;) at the end of the SQL command (the line containing caps).

Note that caps are not necessary, it's just the usage in SQL.

That should work.

Cheers

- Trib'

I had this same problem... Don't know why it suddenly occured. I'm on the MoDaCo 2.2c ROM. I recently installed Twidroid, not sure if that's got anything to do with

it.... also recently installed an update to WorldTour and Aurora Device Search, along with SportsTap. Did you install any of these?

Nop, didn't install any of those - seems easy to fix. Might be a issue with just upgrading instead of a wipe or some such

Guest sveintore
I've noticed something with the MoDaCo 2.2e ROM. When you unlock and hit 'Phone', the keypad that pops up isn't "standard", its numbered correctly, just the letters on the keys aren't of the normal alphabet. Looks Greek or something with the Alpha/Omega characters/letters. Anyone else seeing this or am I going mad?

I had the same.. got twidroid..

But your "fix" worked great :)

almost 160 hours uptime now, still going strong :)

Guest Broughys

Firstly can I thank you for the great work, I have just installed the new ROM everything seems much quicker though I have the same problem as many have discussed on the net in that I have the 'force close' Android.process.acore error with sync with Facebook or at least it appears to be Face book. Can anyone help with this issue???

Guest danibjor

First,

A big thanks for the work you guy's have done here.. I've been running the Modaco-ROM for a while now.. and it's working great on my Hero!

So, back to the latest HTC update - and Firmware 1.6..

Is it possible to get the HTC Clock widget back? I want the "flipping" animation back!

Is it possible to grab the new Market app from 1.6 and use it on our install?

Guest eddablin

Think I put this in the wrong thread before:

Hi sorry for a newbie question:

I installed the recovery image and then installed the Mocado custom rom from here. It is great. It runs really fast now.

I am now confused with the radios. I used the following zip from the first post:

2.2-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed.zip

Is my radio updated? What do I have to do to update it now? Do I need another clean wipe?

I installed the lastest ROM from here after getting my Hero today.

All worked fine.. BUT I've stopped receiving text messages. Luckily I made a backup so when i revert back to stock (Build number 1.76.61.3) it all works fine.

With the update I was getting alerts but when i hit messages, instead of the normal "conversation" it just said "loading" and nothing would come up. It would send messages ok.

Anyone else had this problem? The phone is sluggish and I was loving the update as it made it really smooth but ive had to go back to the way it was for the time being :)

I'm on Orange btw.

Guest chucky.egg
instead of the normal "conversation" it just said "loading"

I fixed that with a Wipe, but you might lose your messages doing that (I didn't have many to lose)

I think someone posted a compilation today of (simple) instructions to fix this without losing them

Guest JonnyG_UK

Hi everyone,

I tried the SQL code, but it produced a helpful error (SQL Error: Not an error)... Please advise? It was not an entry problem, as I ctrl-c'd and ctrl-v'd the code from the post here.

I'm impressed with the phone, the platform, and Pauls work here, but sadly this SMS bug is a bit of a sore thumb for me - really would like to get it sorted.

- p.s. a wipe didnt help - the ROM (2.2) would not install after the wipe (error on Line 3 if I remember correctly), so have used Nandroid to restore old image for the time being.

Pre-thanks for your help!

I fixed that with a Wipe, but you might lose your messages doing that (I didn't have many to lose)

I think someone posted a compilation today of (simple) instructions to fix this without losing them

I might try this. I dont many texts to lose as I didnt get any of them :) Only got the phone today.

Does the wipe delete any backups? I assume you do the wipe, then reboot, then install the update and then reboot again?

I dont think the wipe will work reading the previous posts about it being a database issue.

Newbie question... how do I get the adb shell to write the command to my phone?? I'm running Vista.