Debian Lenny now running on Hero!

Guest PaulOBrien

no, but i definitly will :)

lol fire and hit :P

this did the trick:

I went to reportbug to do this. There were a bunch of bugs previously filed a

while back about segfaults caused by corrupt /var/cache/apt/*.bin. Taking the

clue, I deleted the contents and let it redo them. Voile.

now i got a missing public key, but i guess this was what i deleted with the *bin? anyway, i can deal with that ;)

edit: working fine now :D apt-get upgrade is running right now.

btw, when im done with the upgrade, am i running 5.03 then? never really understood the whole debian version thingy, just a dumb ubuntu user :lol:

Edited by kendon

Guest 智芃 罗

Hello all. I want to ask that could you please give me another download link? I cannot download it in my country(China).Thanks a lot.

P

I am new here.nice to meet you all.

Hello all. I want to ask that could you please give me another download link? I cannot download it in my country(China).Thanks a lot.

P

I am new here.nice to meet you all.

if you give us a site where we can upload and you can download i will be happy to help you out. also please state what exactly you need to download, i guess the big archive with the 2.1 in the version number?

Guest 智芃 罗
if you give us a site where we can upload and you can download i will be happy to help you out. also please state what exactly you need to download, i guess the big archive with the 2.1 in the version number?

Thanks,but I am sorry that.,in fact I don't know where you can upload@_@ ,forgive me please,maybe I should wait for a Chinese forum give it out.

Thank you the same.

Hmm,could you please send it to my email? :D

This is the only way I find now.How stupid I am. T_T

its 205mb... don't think that would work. do have access to googlemail? i do not actually know, but probably there is way i could upload it there and share it with you.

can you download from http://www.megaupload.com? click on top100 at the top and download anything.

And another question^_^ ,my sdcard isn't ext. .can I install it?

yes, it contains an image file, that is mounted for the debian system and contains the filesystem.

Guest 智芃 罗
its 205mb... don't think that would work. do have access to googlemail? i do not actually know, but probably there is way i could upload it there and share it with you.

can you download from http://www.megaupload.com? click on top100 at the top and download anything.

Can I use the installer for g1?If it is possible,I won't need to bother you any more.I found one installer but it's for g1.

Thanks for your kindness.

Can I use the installer for g1?If it is possible,I won't need to bother you any more.I found one installer but it's for g1.

Thanks for your kindness.

i think it should be the same. just try...

Guest Takigama

Just for a few laughs, I decided to see if i could get debian running on the android over nbd (network block device), and actually succeeded. Originally, my intent was to see if the phone could support nbd and iscsi at all (nbd it can, iscsi requires alot more effort though it should be possible)

Dont know if anyones interested in this, but it requires a network (wifi/usb) connection and a server running the nbd-server component. The advantage (for me) was that I could use a much larger debian image and not have it taking up the precious space on my sd card.

The (huge) disadvantage to this is that when wifi goes away so does your disk, and nbd aint fantastic as network block devices go.

The very rough howto:

1) compile the nbd kernel module (against technologists kernel)

2) compile nbd-client (requires the android platform or at least the arm-eabi compiler and is not a trivial exercise)

3) run up the nbd-server pointing at the debian image (on a machine on the lan)

4) create the /dev/nbd0 device

4) start nbd-client on the phone

5) edit bootdeb to use /dev/nbd0 rather then /sdcard/debian/debian.img.

Edited by Takigama

Guest danmalone72

Guys huge discovery! LXDE working on hero debian!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=529233

Use that folder but use the bootdeb from this page.

Install with instructions from paul here then when debian is installed follow the instructions on that page! Works perfectly working internet and all maybe flash 10 ?! but the keyboard is not working =/ but hey were getting somewhere!! :):D

Guys huge discovery! LXDE working on hero debian!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=529233

Use that folder but use the bootdeb from this page.

Install with instructions from paul here then when debian is installed follow the instructions on that page! Works perfectly working internet and all maybe flash 10 ?! but the keyboard is not working =/ but hey were getting somewhere!! :):D

ah man, and i forgot my hero at home today :D sucks big time.

Guest danmalone72
ah man, and i forgot my hero at home today :) sucks big time.

Haha unlucky buddy! When you get it get to work weve got a frekin desktop enviroment lets try get flash 10 working?!

Haha unlucky buddy! When you get it get to work weve got a frekin desktop enviroment lets try get flash 10 working?!

sure we can try, but flash and linux on a low powered device, via vnc... i don't know, but i don't see that happen tbh...

Guest danmalone72
sure we can try, but flash and linux on a low powered device, via vnc... i don't know, but i don't see that happen tbh...

I can see it running i can see it just being disgustingly unusable :) but hey if we do all the groundwork maybe someone smart will make it work i read a thread on xda about a guy who has debian as his main operating system on his phone like it boots to it !! but hes a foreigner and its horrible to try read :D

I can see it running i can see it just being disgustingly unusable :) but hey if we do all the groundwork maybe someone smart will make it work i read a thread on xda about a guy who has debian as his main operating system on his phone like it boots to it !! but hes a foreigner and its horrible to try read :D

do you happen to have a link?

Guest danmalone72
do you happen to have a link?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...4419&page=7

I think its fuktheregister i didnt really re read it haha just give it a look , just realized i installed debian wrong and im trying to fix it ! grrr its failing on the first line it says it cant find ./fsrw ?? did you have the problem... like even when it says that i can still run debian and lxde but i think the underlying file systems are empty due to the faulty instalation!

Guest danmalone72

grrr its failing on the first line it says it cant find ./fsrw ?? did you have the problem... like even when it says that i can still run debian and lxde but i think the underlying file systems are empty due to the faulty instalation!

Anyone help please??

try to do the process from the beginning. if it is missing fsrw you either forgot to change the directory or did not copy all the files from the archive to the debian directory on your sdcard, i think.

you download the file from post #4 in this thread. extract it to your pc. replace the contents of installer.sh with the quoted text in post #4 (use notepad++ or something that is able to handle linux style linebreaks if you are on windows). replace the bootdeb file with the one from post #14. then copy all that to the root of your sdcard, in folder called debian. then open connectbot on your phone, start local shell, enter following commands:

su -

cd /sdcard/debian

sh installer.sh

bootdeb

then you are in debian environment, congratulations :) . because it is your first start you need to execute

/scripts/onetime.sh

after that type exit, and do that everytime you want to "shut down" debian.

from now on, if you want to start it, open local shell in connectbot and type:

su -

bootdeb

you can automate that in connectbot by passing these commands in the post-login automation, long click the host entry.

Edited by kendon

no luck after sh installer.sh i get no such file cannot open ./fsrw WHYYYY!?

follow ur instructions to the letter..

can you give us the output of "adb shell ls -al /sdcard/debian/", just usb-cable plugged in and nothing else done before?

Edited by kendon

Guest danmalone72

C:\Documents and Settings\Dan>adb shell ls -al /sdcard/debian/

drwxrwxrwx 2 1000 1000 4096 Nov 12 00:43 ←[1;34m.←[0m

drwxrwxrwx 18 1000 1000 4096 Jan 1 1970 ←[1;34m..←[0m

-rwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1000 2692 Nov 10 19:56 ←[1;32mbootdeb←[0m

-rwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1000 750000000 Jan 8 2009 ←[1;32mdebian.img←[0m

-rwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1000 102 Jan 9 2009 ←[1;32mfsrw←[0m

-rwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1000 866 Mar 13 2009 ←[1;32mmountonly←[0m

-rwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1000 420 Jan 9 2009 ←[1;32munionfs←[0m