ROM GALAXO & GALAXHERO - Hero in your Galaxy!

Guest iNicc0lo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shambolic2000

Hi, I have the Galaxy and have updated the firmware to the H7 version with Odin. I couldn't get the H8 firmware to work. I saw some other links to a custom Hero based ROM on an italian website but being an English speaker I couldn't read it! Are there any ROMs with the HTC Sense UI that are based on the H* firmware, and if so, has anyone used them? Do they work well?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to add Divx/Xvid functonality to the Galaxy?

This is the link to the ROMs I was talking about -

http://www.androidiani.com/forum/samsung-i...-galaxy-18.html

Thanks to everyone who's been doing work on the firmware!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest harrispo
I'd recomend it.. Its fast and pretty nice!

Which is faster - this ROM or the MoDaCo one?

I'm thinking of flashing a new ROM because I'm getting tired of the original one loading rubbish in the background

Which is faster - this ROM or the MoDaCo one?

I'm thinking of flashing a new ROM because I'm getting tired of the original one loading rubbish in the background

I didnt try the modoco one, but i'd guess with BFS, renice and the option of compcache the Galaxo one should be faster. I'd expect the Galaxo lite to be super fast :)

Guest harrispo

I'm trying the GALAXO ROM right now. To be honest, I'm not that impressed.

It is ever-so-slightly faster than the stock II5 ROM, but what annoys me is that I frequently get messages about programs crashing. Even unlocking the phone gives me an error message about something crashing.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm trying the GALAXO ROM right now. To be honest, I'm not that impressed.

It is ever-so-slightly faster than the stock II5 ROM, but what annoys me is that I frequently get messages about programs crashing. Even unlocking the phone gives me an error message about something crashing.

Am I doing something wrong?

Did you install II5, then wipe, and then install update.zip? If you just updated to II5 and didnt wipe you may end up with a mess of a FS

also check here to kill extra unneeded processes:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/123...ore-memory.html

You can leave compcache off (default) and still have 40mb free from boot.

Guest harrispo
Did you install II5, then wipe, and then install update.zip? If you just updated to II5 and didnt wipe you may end up with a mess of a FS

also check here to kill extra unneeded processes:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/123...ore-memory.html

You can leave compcache off (default) and still have 40mb free from boot.

I went through the entire process as it was described on HDblog, so I don't think that's the problem. I mean, I'm happy with it now, but that's because I have it running the minimum processes that I'm using. When it starts up it loads some really pointless applications that just bog down the entire phone

I'll use your guide now to delete some of them. I wasn't sure of their function before so I felt it best to leave them untouched

Edit: For some reason my adb isn't working and I couldn't be bothered to fix it, so I just used the Root Explorer to delete the programs :D

Edited by harrispo

Guest harrispo

@ kam187 : I noticed on the Android Forums that you said you're assisting with the development of the Galaxo ROM. In that case, would it be OK to forward any concerns or suggestions to you?

In any case, as I said in the previous post, the ROM is now working quite well, but I still have 2 issues:

1. I frequently get the Force Close / Wait pop-up for random processes i.e. I'll open the camera to take a picture and I'll get a pop-up about the Messaging application, or I'll go into Handcent SMS and I'll get a pop-up about the Android Core. The funny thing is, if I press Wait, it works fine

2. The phone seems to "eat" my text messages at times. I primarily use Handcent SMS for texting (by the way, can you suggest a better program?) and I'll get a notification for a new text message but it won't appear in my inbox. It doesn't appear in the regular messaging program either. I have no idea where it goes. Restarting the phone seems to sort the problem out though

I'll be very grateful for any help you can give me :D

Harris

We're working on a new ultra light rom that uses a very small kernel (loads of uneeded default stuff removed), some vm cache tweaks, NPS processes killed, and we're also working on getting more memory back from the shared baseband memory. I won't spoil it by saying what the total memory size is now, but it should run much faster.

I think the force close problems are caused by the way the vmcache is tuned right now. When the memory gets low processes seem to crash sometimes or take a long time to fully load. This shouldnt happen with the new config. I could give you some tweaks to reset the vm cache stuff, but you'd need to execute them manually through adb every time unless you built a new boot img.

I havn't seen the sms problem at all myself, and I get ALOT of sms's a day. Its possible its an issue with handsent or again to do with memory resources running out. Its hard to be sure. Sit tight for a few days, and wait for the next version :D

@ kam187 : I noticed on the Android Forums that you said you're assisting with the development of the Galaxo ROM. In that case, would it be OK to forward any concerns or suggestions to you?

In any case, as I said in the previous post, the ROM is now working quite well, but I still have 2 issues:

1. I frequently get the Force Close / Wait pop-up for random processes i.e. I'll open the camera to take a picture and I'll get a pop-up about the Messaging application, or I'll go into Handcent SMS and I'll get a pop-up about the Android Core. The funny thing is, if I press Wait, it works fine

2. The phone seems to "eat" my text messages at times. I primarily use Handcent SMS for texting (by the way, can you suggest a better program?) and I'll get a notification for a new text message but it won't appear in my inbox. It doesn't appear in the regular messaging program either. I have no idea where it goes. Restarting the phone seems to sort the problem out though

I'll be very grateful for any help you can give me :P

Harris

Guest harrispo

Thanks for the info/update :D

I think the SMS issue is likely because of a lack of memory, as I have a number of widgets always running (Facebook, Twidroid etc)

I also have another problem that I forgot to mention - when the phone rings, it takes ages for the ringtone to play. I have it set as a MP3 that's stored on the External SD, but I didn't have the same problem when I was using II5

With regards to the upcoming Galaxo Lite, will it be based on II5 or the new firmware coming out? When can we realistically expect Android 2.0 on the Galaxy?

Edit: Also, considering the processor for the Galaxy is underclocked, could the new Galaxo ROM come inbuilt with the ability to adjust the clock speed, or could it come working at full speed?

Edited by harrispo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...