I feel a sucker with this device in my hand!

Guest gmx333

Hi,

I'd like to open a discussion about this phone and his numerous defects. Well yesterday I tried an HTC Pro2 and I feel a real sucker with this device that compared with the HTC device seems quite ridiculus. I don't know if someone from toshiba is reading this forum but ... well guys I can't image a normal user using day-by-day this device that is sold in Italy at a premium price of 549Euros! Yes i spent 549 euros atrected by all the discussion about this "iPhone killer" with 1ghz CPU!

I really think it's not onest from toshiba to sell the TG01 that can be considered just a beta device.

5 problems are really big:

-BATTERY life is miserable. My old Samsung i780 phone was sold with 2 batteries probably because someone in samsung thought that a battery life of 36-48 hours was not enough for a professional phone. How long can you use your TG01? 6 or 8 hours ? But let's say that you travel and you're in the morning at the airport waiting for your flight, can you listen an MP3 (you've to be lucky that your storage card hasn't been corrupted) or you watch a video or simply navigate for let's say 30 minutes. Place a couples of calls and your phone at noon will be out of order! And of course forget to listen to your music while charging, smart Toshiba engeeners made just one micro-usb.

-ORRIBLE TOSHIBA INTERFACE. Ok I know, noone of you is using this funny interface but I wonder why Toshiba lost his time and his money in developing such interface. I'd like to know the developer manager in Toshiba and to talk with him, probably he has never seen nor used a cellular phone. But well, ok let's pay another 30$ for SPB menu hoping that someone will migrate the wonderful HTC TF3d.

-RADIO STACK. the audio quality for the incoming call is miserable and so is for people that is listening you with this crap phone. Why I have tou use a bugged SRS WOW to listen my 550Euros phone? That's ridiculus. I don't want the HTC technologies for improving audio that you should expect in such professional devices but just a normal quality.

-MEMORY CARD CORRUPTION: What? 550Euro and you can't store an MP3 or a document on the storage card because it will be deleted ?

-BLUETOOTH and WI-FI can't be used together. Are you kidding?

Other "minor" problems:

-ACELLEROMETER: beatiful games in the demos, now where are these games ? Can you use a single stupid program that is aware of the toshiba accelerometer?

-VIDEOS: just 256 colors! Coreplayer is not aware of accelerometer nor of the touch screen, you'll have difficult time to manage FF or rewind with your finger, anyway is not important because after 30 -40 minutes the TG01 battery will end your film for you.

-Photo CAMERA. is worst than a camera that you find in a 100E phone but never mind

-PROXIMITY Sensor: well HTC has programs that can manage a call almost like the iphone even without the Prox. sensor. Toshiba obviously not. So if you have a call with a responding machine and you need the key board ... you have to do several operations and you'll need both hands.

-PHOTO viever: where is it ? Toshiba can I have a program that is aware of your stupid accelerometer and of the touch screen so that I can zoom in and zoom out ?

-SPEED: 1 ghz CPU,very nice but how should I use this power ? games ? Programs ? Anyway video performance of TG01 are orrible.

-TOSHIBA SUPPORT: Cool! Toshiba support is in UK I'm in Italy and they talk just english. Anyway I complained about the audio quality and the battery life. After waiting 30 minutes (remember:international call) the conclusion from Toshiba was brilliant: if you're still in time return the phone to the store and ask for refund ASAP!

-UPDATES: nothing! i would expect some fix or update for this buggy device after 3 month, but obviosly Toshiba's engeeners are probably too busy in developing some other funny interface.

-XDA-forum: well it's not a Toshiba problem but, I'd really like a custom 6.5 rom for my Tg01. WinMo 6.1 is unusable on a touch device especially because Toshiba has not integrated with other programs (like HTC TF3d, Audio manager, comm manager, incall manger etc etc)

-Construction: bad quality plastic. difficult to open and to change the battery or the memory card, but this is not the biggest problem.

-GPS no complain about it Gps is really good.

And you ? Are you satisfied with this phone?

Guest Neil5459

Actually, yes I am :)

I agree with a lot of your points but for me they just are not important. I don't use a phone camera at all as I always have a decent compact with me- I've yet to see any mobile phone camera that takes good pictures, even the Sony ones.

Call quality- mine's fine but I don't use it in noisy environments. Signal reception is better than any other WinMo device I've owned (and thats since 2002)

Card corruption: I've had this twice, but not at all in the last 6 weeks. Had a problem with 'disappearing' card, but that was down to some software I installed. The power management registry entry for the SD card may have fixed the corruption issue.

WiFi and BT together- no problem here

Accelerometer: It can be a little over sensitive but mine does work with Coreplayer and Photobase, both of which are in ROM. Photobase has a 'finger friendy' zoom function. Resco Photoviewer Alpha test version is even better

But, for me the major, incontrovertible fact is that this phone has a screen big enough to use for reference book reading and decent spreadsheet work. It equals my old HTC Athena in usability and is much, much faster at text searching and spreadsheet manipulation.

As always, it's horses for courses, but the TG01 for me is still the best device out there (till the Leo comes out- but even that may now only have a resistive screen according to some insiders :) )

Guest shingers5

right my 2 pence now. i have had the device 2 days now and paid a heathy £292.00 for it from CEX on grade b locked to orange. it cost me £30 to unlock it so grand total £332. i am in agreement with most of the posts but a few things need to be pointed out.

1. battery life is not as bad as stated but i did not get 48 hrs out of it but there are many phones that don't last that long anyway.

2. XDA devs mate - use it as i have. this phone is similar to the Touch HD so most of the apps for that device works on this phone. got my icons changed, installed Touch-It Manila HD full so got TF3D on my TG01. also got Point sense UI for when i want the android look. mate there is stuff out there that will make this phone awesome. mine is tweaked up to the hilt and looks good.

3. the processor i knew was gonna be an issue both with battery life and actual usage. all that power but nothing to use it with is pointless. i also have a TP2 and that has less power but so refined it really kills this device.

4. this phone is not BETA but the start of something mate. once the software and apps available catch up with the power of this phone then we will see the beast. we can't put custom roms on as no HDSPL released for TG01 and i doubt the boys at XDA Devs will be working on it............ sorry. WM6.5 is out soon and we will get the update on this phone so only good things lie ahead. right now though with this phone we have is a bit ahead of everything else available. that is both good and bad as you have seen but in a few months you will have a totally different opinion

BE PATIENT MATE

Edited by shingers5

Hi,

I'd like to open a discussion about this phone and his numerous defects. Well yesterday I tried an HTC Pro2 and I feel a real sucker with this device that compared with the HTC device seems quite ridiculus. I don't know if someone from toshiba is reading this forum but ... well guys I can't image a normal user using day-by-day this device that is sold in Italy at a premium price of 549Euros! Yes i spent 549 euros atrected by all the discussion about this "iPhone killer" with 1ghz CPU!

I really think it's not onest from toshiba to sell the TG01 that can be considered just a beta device.

5 problems are really big:

-BATTERY life is miserable. My old Samsung i780 phone was sold with 2 batteries probably because someone in samsung thought that a battery life of 36-48 hours was not enough for a professional phone. How long can you use your TG01? 6 or 8 hours ? But let's say that you travel and you're in the morning at the airport waiting for your flight, can you listen an MP3 (you've to be lucky that your storage card hasn't been corrupted) or you watch a video or simply navigate for let's say 30 minutes. Place a couples of calls and your phone at noon will be out of order! And of course forget to listen to your music while charging, smart Toshiba engeeners made just one micro-usb.

-ORRIBLE TOSHIBA INTERFACE. Ok I know, noone of you is using this funny interface but I wonder why Toshiba lost his time and his money in developing such interface. I'd like to know the developer manager in Toshiba and to talk with him, probably he has never seen nor used a cellular phone. But well, ok let's pay another 30$ for SPB menu hoping that someone will migrate the wonderful HTC TF3d.

-RADIO STACK. the audio quality for the incoming call is miserable and so is for people that is listening you with this crap phone. Why I have tou use a bugged SRS WOW to listen my 550Euros phone? That's ridiculus. I don't want the HTC technologies for improving audio that you should expect in such professional devices but just a normal quality.

-MEMORY CARD CORRUPTION: What? 550Euro and you can't store an MP3 or a document on the storage card because it will be deleted ?

-BLUETOOTH and WI-FI can't be used together. Are you kidding?

Other "minor" problems:

-ACELLEROMETER: beatiful games in the demos, now where are these games ? Can you use a single stupid program that is aware of the toshiba accelerometer?

-VIDEOS: just 256 colors! Coreplayer is not aware of accelerometer nor of the touch screen, you'll have difficult time to manage FF or rewind with your finger, anyway is not important because after 30 -40 minutes the TG01 battery will end your film for you.

-Photo CAMERA. is worst than a camera that you find in a 100E phone but never mind

-PROXIMITY Sensor: well HTC has programs that can manage a call almost like the iphone even without the Prox. sensor. Toshiba obviously not. So if you have a call with a responding machine and you need the key board ... you have to do several operations and you'll need both hands.

-PHOTO viever: where is it ? Toshiba can I have a program that is aware of your stupid accelerometer and of the touch screen so that I can zoom in and zoom out ?

-SPEED: 1 ghz CPU,very nice but how should I use this power ? games ? Programs ? Anyway video performance of TG01 are orrible.

-TOSHIBA SUPPORT: Cool! Toshiba support is in UK I'm in Italy and they talk just english. Anyway I complained about the audio quality and the battery life. After waiting 30 minutes (remember:international call) the conclusion from Toshiba was brilliant: if you're still in time return the phone to the store and ask for refund ASAP!

-UPDATES: nothing! i would expect some fix or update for this buggy device after 3 month, but obviosly Toshiba's engeeners are probably too busy in developing some other funny interface.

-XDA-forum: well it's not a Toshiba problem but, I'd really like a custom 6.5 rom for my Tg01. WinMo 6.1 is unusable on a touch device especially because Toshiba has not integrated with other programs (like HTC TF3d, Audio manager, comm manager, incall manger etc etc)

-Construction: bad quality plastic. difficult to open and to change the battery or the memory card, but this is not the biggest problem.

-GPS no complain about it Gps is really good.

I Agree with most of your thoughts here. there are some real design failures on this phone in addition to poor software implementation or buggy hardware it can make the user experience really bad. the phone in the current state can NOT be sold to the average user. it is way too buggy. the only hope i have is that Toshiba is going to fix their errors with the 6.5 update.

I also own an Omnia II phone which i purchased about one month before the Toshiba. i will compare the user experience in this post.

- Battery: could be much better. if you try to watch a full movie with this phone and the huge screen you will find you have killed about 60% of your battery. this is suppose to be a media centric phone...a bigger battery should have been provided. there is an extended battery currently being sold in Japan, but is not cheap. let's hope it will be imported soon. The Omnia II battery is 1.5 times bigger and the phone can last a lot longer...at least 2 days with FULL USAGE.

- Storage corruption: Luckily this never happened to me. i do tend to not keep any apps running in the background unless i really need it.

- Random reboots: WTF!!!! why is this happening for no reason at random times? 90% of the time is when the phone is idle and i am not touching it.

- Random slow downs: VERY ANNOYING!!!! sometimes, after an app has crashed on me and i reboot the phone the phone will reboot and will be extremely laggy. i will need to reboot it several times for it run normal again, and sometimes doa hard reset. this is not being caused by any specific application and is randomly happening. i noticed that disabling WinMo's error reporting feature help a lot to avoid this but why is this happening in the first place? major FAIL for a phone in 2009! this has never happened to me on the Omnia II and i have the same apps installed.

- Toshiba Stripes: FAIL! the average user can NOT find this interface usable and easy to use. what were they thinking?

- Radio Stack: I agree. the in-call audio quality is horrible and the volume is low. compare that to the Omnia II you will be amazed of how a call can sound.

- BT and Wifi cant be used together: i 100% agree. this is the most annoying thing for me. i just can not use wifi and my bluetooth headset / stereo headphones together. it is simply dropping the connection to the BT. i have tried several models of BT headsets and it is happening with ALL of them.i really hope this will be resolved with 6.5. my Omnia can do this no problem at all.

- Accelerometer: i am sure games will come in the coming weeks and months. the phone is just too new. i was hoping to see Toshiba release a public SDK to use the sensor which they have not.

- Phone Camera: Surprise here. the camera as as bad as almost any other phone. The Omnia II which is 5mpx is not much better, though the camera software has a lot more features.

- Photo Viewer: I believe Toshiba included one?

- XDA forums. well this is really related to the politics of the xda-developers forums deciding to only allow HTC devices on their portal which is lame.

- Bad implementation of one MicroUSB port with no splitter around! cant listen to music and charge the phone at the same time. FAIL!!

Comparing to the Omnia II, the TG01 is FAST. there is nothing to compare. Even though the OMII is running at 800Mhz, the TG01 is more than twice as fast. just run any emulator software and see. The TG01 also supports most of the games that were made for the HTC devices (3d accelrated games) unlike the OMII and nicer games will come in October i am sure. On the other hand Samsung is launching its own app store and i am sure more games with real hardware acceleration will appear on their apps store.

Search for Price of Persia ACER F1 version, and then compare how it runs and how nice it looks on the TG01 comparing to the OMII.

However, the OMII is a pleasure to use out of the box. from the screen to the Keyboard to the built in apps. Call quallity is by far better and most important the device is SUPER STABLE. it never ever crashed on me and i have exactly the same apps installed as the TG01. i repeat: the OMII NEVER CRASHED! why cant the TG01 be as stable? poor hardware? poor software implementation?

Let's just hope that the 6.5 update will resolve most of these issues, otherwise i am selling mine and will wait for the HTC Leo.

I understand that some programs from HTC can be partially "just partially" ported to my toshiba but well I gave my money to Toshiba and not to HTC. But this is just an ethical problem.

Neil thanks for the suggestion I totally agree Resco viewer is really great (now in beta) and that is what I expected but like all the programs that I received with my toshiba is not G-Sensor aware (but it works on HTC). Coreplayer and photbase are "screeen rotation" aware but for people like me that disabled the irritating auto-rotation simply you have to rotate from spb menu the screen and then lunch the program.

Anyway now the main problem is that toshiba feels confortable selling such buggy device without any kind of support, fix or updates and I'm concerned that the update to 6.5 made from the same brilliant engeeners that developed this device and the crazy stripe interface, will have the same problems or even more without any kind of fix for the future. I'm concerned that after 2 and half month (in italy is sold from 1th of july) even Toshiba hasn't developed a single program that can leverage the futureas of this device. Seems a too young project and the risk is that will be soon closed and replaced with something new.

But I agree let's wait for the 6.5 update ( and let's hope that toshiba has hired some engeeners from Samsung or HTC) and then decide if to sell it on e-bay and loose half of the price I spent.

Guest Neil5459
Neil thanks for the suggestion I totally agree Resco viewer is really great (now in beta) and that is what I expected but like all the programs that I received with my toshiba is not G-Sensor aware (but it works on HTC). Coreplayer and photbase are "screeen rotation" aware but for people like me that disabled the irritating auto-rotation simply you have to rotate from spb menu the screen and then lunch the program.

I don't think you can complain that a feature doesn't work, when you've turned it off :)

You have a valid point that the auto-rotate feature is a little too sensitive, but once turned off, programs won't be able to rotate unless you manually switch orientation.

There do seem to be variations in the ROM development in different countries- I've never seen any device slowdowns and the only random soft resets I saw were when I had Mobile Shell installed. Also, I can use WiFi and BT together, though I think the BT signal is pretty poor anyway, even without WiFi turned on.

We can only keep hoping!

For me in fact TG01 is more interesting detail than real phone. I never had problems with Storage Card, but I have to confirm rest of your problems. Worst of all is call quality which is so bad that is almost impossible to talk in louder places. Also unstable software, random restarts, problems with wake-up phone... lot of bugs but IMO most of them can be solved by software. Question is if Toshiba will do this?

Battery life is poor however I expected so when I found battery capacity.

The only thing that keeps me before selling TG01 is its power. I use WM devices for 6 years, I had a lot of phones from HTC, Samsung and O2 and I've never seen anything as fast as Toshiba. More- I've never seen anything even close to Toshiba. Right now I'm using Touch HD as phone- I really liked this phone before I get TG01. But now working with HD is horror- it is so slow that makes me nervous.

Let's hope that Toshiba will solve most of software problem with WM 6.5. If not we need to wait for HTC Leo or other devices with Snapdragon...

Guest shingers5
For me in fact TG01 is more interesting detail than real phone. I never had problems with Storage Card, but I have to confirm rest of your problems. Worst of all is call quality which is so bad that is almost impossible to talk in louder places. Also unstable software, random restarts, problems with wake-up phone... lot of bugs but IMO most of them can be solved by software. Question is if Toshiba will do this?

Battery life is poor however I expected so when I found battery capacity.

The only thing that keeps me before selling TG01 is its power. I use WM devices for 6 years, I had a lot of phones from HTC, Samsung and O2 and I've never seen anything as fast as Toshiba. More- I've never seen anything even close to Toshiba. Right now I'm using Touch HD as phone- I really liked this phone before I get TG01. But now working with HD is horror- it is so slow that makes me nervous.

Let's hope that Toshiba will solve most of software problem with WM 6.5. If not we need to wait for HTC Leo or other devices with Snapdragon...

its all good reading the negatives and even though i agree with all of the above points i think its too soon to really pass judgement on this phone seriously. this is a taste of the future and it looks bright. would have been an awesome phone with android on it IMO and even wm6.5 wont do this phone's hardware justice. dont think winmo will stretch as anywhere near to making real good use of the power under the hood. i have put the point sense UI on the phone and it looks good. the 'hero' look does so much justice to this phone. my other phones however seem to be a bigger draw than this phone and that is sad. the shine quickly wears of this phone and battery life badword sucks. the battery is just not big enuff to cope with the immense power under the hood. wtf were toshiba thinking? my n97 and my tp2 are awesome phones. omnia 2 i will not get as not sold on the samsung winmo combo. i also have a samsung HD with symbian and thats awesome multimedia wise. TG01? WTF!

Guest i900french-addict

Take time to discover and learn to use this device!

I had a samsung Omnia before, ok, there are many differences.

I don't have many of the problems you give here, try various settings to solve them (Core player is working very fine with me, no problem to browse instantly in a 1Go HD video, same for the photos, the SD card problem doesn't occure anymore for me, my battery lasts 3 days when I use the good settings, etc)

As for the power, simply try Xtrakt and FpseCE to see what the TG01 can do.

I agree, the photo quality is poor (my omnia was better), but the video made with the TG01 are OK (much better than on my Omnia and its 5MP camera, vids were laggy as hell)

G-sensor? Like on my Omnia (just HTC dll were hacked for the omnia, so I had games using it)

cant listen to music and charge the phone at the same time? Only devices with a real 3.5 jack can do this, so not the majority.

HORRIBLE TOSHIBA INTERFACE? that's a matter of taste, I personaly use it just because the amount of possible shortcuts is huge. I think many people criticize it just because they don't know it's possible to change the stripes order and the icons....

Random reboots? SSRWOW most of the time is responsible.

ETC, etc

PATIENCE is required to deal with the TG01 at the beginning, but things turn much better once you're used to it.

Guest hamido123

hello everyone,

first of all i ve got to say that the tg01 the best wm phone i ve ever seen and tested!!!

i had much wm phones like the htc p3600 or the htc touch diamond but non of those was comperable to the tg01

as i know the diamond has the same chipset like the topaz or the touch hd......the all have 528mhz but have not even the half of the power of the tg01 ......

the only thing which is bad is the buggy software but toshiba is going to release an update and after that the rom coockers will make that device fly away with his 1ghz chipset!!!.......

so we just have to wait a litte bit and than the tg01 will rock!!!!!!!!!

i'm just waiting for the 6.october :)

Guest xdalover

I'd like to express my opinion after two months of heavy use as a 6 years experienced user on PDAs.

Briefly, first of all, thank you for opening this discussion, and I agree with some of your points of view but not with all.....

RIDICULOUS:

Well, I've never paid more tan 300€ for a device (I use to buy second hand devices on Ebay when available and never at the beginning of their commercial life...) but here in Spain the Telefonica proposal was very interesting.... I understand that, after paying 549€ for your device, your expectations are higher than mine! We are just suffering the usual after birth problems that happens in all the devices! (I don't think that it's a beta device, but I agree that some problems should be solved with official patches or perhaps (I hope) they are waiting to include them on the new WM6.5

I've never felt ridiculous with my new device , on the contrary I'm very proud with it because my friends find amazing such a big screen in a device thinner than Iphone. And at work I can do everything with it, with a folder bluetooth keyboard I don't need my laptop that remains closed in my office... No one of my colleagues (even HTC Pro2 doesn't have USB host) can use a USB mouse or share files with a standard USB pen drive with their "sophisticated" mobile phones....

BATTERY:

Miserable battery life? Yes if you compare with a standard cell phone. Even with your former Samsung i780 (much better than a standard phone,but with a small screen of only 360x360 pixels, 2,5" screen) general speaking standard phones consume is quite low and can't be compared.

It's a miracle that a device with a 4,1" scree 800x480, can stand a complete day working with a little 1000mAh battery. I think that Toshiba's designers were too optimistic and, in the course for being thinner than Iphone, they decided to use this little one instead of an standard 1300 mAh. Anyway, for expert Winmo users the daily night recharge is an habitual ritual

80% of the battery drain comes from the backligh adjust. I agree that a heavy use on sunny areas drains battery too fast. And regarding airports, you should thing on TG01 like a pocket laptop instead than as a phone. What we need on airports (and it's a problem on Spanish airports like Madrid and Barcelona) are plugs to connect our devices! (that's a problem also with laptops!) What about your airports? I always carry with me one or two fresh batteries in the pocket to be covered if my fly is delayed! (I can't do the same with my laptop :) ) , the problem is that there are not spare batteries in the market for the TG01 yet...

LISTENING MUSIC WHILE CHARGING

Yes, you are right: Using wired headphones, that's only possible on devices with separated stereo minijack output. This is a problem that happens in a lot of devices with proprietary plug like Samsung phones. My roundabout solution is using bluetooth phones.

TOSHIBA INTERFACE

OK. Nothing to say here, but you can switch it off. It's an useless gift from Toshiba...

PHONE AUDIO QUALITY

Same as before: This device is a PDA with phone,not a phone with PDA. I'm quite happy regarding its quality as phone, but it's true that a dedicated phone (even the cheap ones) sounds better. Anyway, as a phone it's better than my previous devices XdaIIs and XDA Flame.

Regarding ring volume, I agree that using SRS WOW is a provisional solution but it works. I wonder if Toshiba will improve sound volume in future software revisions

MEMORY CARD CORRUPTION

Never happened (fortunately) and it's not a general problem, at least on devices distributed by Telefonica. Only one issue (and it's not clear if the cause is the sanme) in the Spanish forum up to now.

NOT BLUETOOTH and WI-FI TOGETHER

You should open a thread regarding this issue because if true, it's a BIG ISSUE, never reported on devices sold in Spain. As said, I can listen to music by bluetooth and read the News by wifi or using my bluetooth keyboard (as right now) and at the same time, surfing internet or replying your post!

ACCELEROMETER

There is not still a market big enough to be worthwhile to launch games or applets using the proprietary accelerometer hardware (HTC accelerometer is also a proprietary hardware but it was the first , and has became a kind of "standard"). Wait and see....this device is still too new

VIDEOS

My friend, on this point I absolutely disagree!! 256 colours? Where have you read this?? You mean 256K colours (65K effective) 256000, not 256!!!

Video performance horrible? Have you seen the MPEG4 high resolution video (800x480) that explains how the "famous" Toshiba's interface works? Try to play it in any other device , it SUCKS!!! Even my XDA Flame with a GeForce inside, can only play it with a COREPLAYER Benchmark of only 38%!!

What a pity that Toshiba has not included a TV out!!!

PHOTO CAMERA

The optical quality, and the autofocus are excellent to be a phone, and better than most of devices that I've tested. I agree that the software is too basic (no white balance, etc) but software can be always improved, hardware not!

PHOTO VIEWER

Thanks to your post, I've discovered the Beta Resco Photo Viewer!! Wow!!

SPEED

How can you use 1GHz? As other used said, I can't use my former XDA Flame after using the TG01, I feel nervous!!! Searching a name (I have more than 500 professional contacts) it's IMMEDIATE on it! and searching an item in a ListPro database of more than 2500 registers is very, very fast, I've nearly forgotten the tedious coloured circle turning!. That's POWER, my friend, and useful power!

Have you compared finding files on Resco file explorer? This is not a benchmark, it's the real life, and this is the fastest device that I've never used up to now!. A easy test: Try to open the Windows folder with your file explorer, on the other devices you need some seconds to fill the screen, on this it's Now!!

CONSTRUCTION

Externally is made of plastic (bad quality? I don't know. Compared with?) but internally its chassis is made of magnesium. It would be too fragile (it's too thin) made of plastic, and no one up to now has reported a broken screen on any of the four TG01 forums that I'm following.

Let's wait to the WM6.5, but I don't expect miracles from Toshiba. In few words to summarize: Fast hardware, great video, poor software (audio)

Best Regards

Guest i900french-addict
MEMORY CARD CORRUPTION

Never happened (fortunately) and it's not a general problem, at least on devices distributed by Telefonica. Only one issue (and it's not clear if the cause is the sanme) in the Spanish forum up to now.

It also happens a lot in France, many (almost everyone in fact) on the french TG01 forum has been or is currently experiencing this problem.

As for me, I had this problem, but it seems to be solved after my 3rd hard reset (one month ago now, and no more problems)

For the rest, I agree with xdalover for everything!

Another easy test: browse the windows folder! On my samsung omnia (PXA 624MHz cpu), it is slow to open and slow to browse.

Not on the TG01 XD

Edited by i900french-addict

let's take an example for proof of concept:

touch hd is not good with stock rom out the box.

you first HAVE to spl unlock it then use a custom rom cooked from VARIOUS OTHER htc STOCK roms for it to even start performing like it should.

so to compare tg01 with other longstanding 'hacked' devices with 'cooked' roms is stupid and impatient.

and in fact, this tg01 battery lasts LONGER than the touch hd under similar circumstances.

QED

Guest leeston2379

I have to agree with xdalover. i love my tg01, the battery lasts way longer than my diamond ever did, and as far as corruption is concerned it has happened to me but so far i've lost 3 photos, not really the end of the world.

I feel that mostly there are only minor complaints when you consider we're sat on the cutting edge of smartphone technology.

Guest hamido123

toshiba had done a realy good job with the hardware and even the software is a litte buggy it runs ten times faster than the best htc phone......have already tryed manil 2.1 on it??....itss is so fast ....even it was build for htc devices non of htc's phones can handle mania so fast and very fingerfriendly.......i think that you have to test the phone a litte bit longer and then you will see the advantage of the tg01 .....

my tg01 is very stable and i do a softreset every two or three days......my touch diamond had to softreset more than tree time a day....also i had no hardreset......

battery life

hey.....that is a 4.1 inch 1ghz device and i can play with it for a hole day!!!

the touch diamond has also a 1000mAh and i had to charge it twice a day...the touch diamond has only 2.8inch and 528mhz ......so the guys of toshiba did a great job.....a very energy saving device!!!!!

i had seen nothing compareable

there are somee bad things but all in one the tg01 is the best thing i ve ever seen.....

Mine is a love hate relationship. My settings are on high, with auto adjust screen and my battery lasts maybe 4 or 5 hours of heavy use. A whole day only if i dont use it toooo much. I know naff all, but i suspect 6.5 will fail and dissappoint.The proper upgrades will come via crazy guys working in italy france spain uk germany japan russia us etc etc.It will take time.Mine is buggy, but i do play with it a fair bit.The volume is pooh.

Guest Neil5459
.....my touch diamond had to softreset more than tree time a day....also i had no hardreset......

battery life

the touch diamond has also a 1000mAh and i had to charge it twice a day...the touch diamond has only 2.8inch and 528mhz ......so the guys of toshiba did a great job.....a very energy saving device!!!!!

To be fair to HTC, your experience with the Diamond is untypical :)

I've had a Diamond since the day it was launched and I agree in the early days the performance was poor, the battery life was awful and the GPS was poor as well. Each ROM update saw big improvements and the latest V2 ROMs are great. My battery lasts a whole day with heavy use, I only soft reset occasonally to clear the memory or do a backup and only hard reset due to a ROM upgrade :)

Bearing in mind the relative power though, the TG01 does very well. I'm just waiting for a spare battery to arrive, but in the meantime use my Maplin mini-powerpack to recharge at lunchtime.

Guest ┝┦θ┗し●
To be fair to HTC, your experience with the Diamond is untypical :)

I've had a Diamond since the day it was launched and I agree in the early days the performance was poor, the battery life was awful and the GPS was poor as well. Each ROM update saw big improvements and the latest V2 ROMs are great. My battery lasts a whole day with heavy use, I only soft reset occasonally to clear the memory or do a backup and only hard reset due to a ROM upgrade :)

Bearing in mind the relative power though, the TG01 does very well. I'm just waiting for a spare battery to arrive, but in the meantime use my Maplin mini-powerpack to recharge at lunchtime.

OK...this is a phone! You want MP3? Buy an ipod. Video? Buy an MP4. Taking photos? Camera is for this....  Phone is used for communication!

I have been used a lot of phones. TERO 750, E90, P3600i, TyTN II, O2 LIFE and Flame, Diamond, Touch HD...... TG01 what I am using now, is not perfect, but is fastest I have been used! That's enough for a phone.

There is no such a perfect phone in the world. Phone is only as good as users. 

Do not like it? Change it! Take it easy. Good luck! :)

Guest The Real Mc Coy

Sorry ┝┦θ┗し● but you are quite wrong IMHO... and so is gmx333.

I bought (99€ with subscription in France but now we can have it for 49€) a TG01 because it can play videos and MP3 at least as good as my Archos 605 does !

If you only need to use it as a telephone you don't need such a device with such a excellent screen !!!

To me :

- Video : so far one of the best video player I ever see ! Full screen HD content playback without an itch !

- Memory card corruption : sometimes I had troubles but never I needed to re-format ! Just a reboot... and always due to a 3rd party app !

- Toshiba (and in France Orange) interface(s) sucks ? : change it (or wait for WM65 update) ! There are plenty of GUI and many free ones !

- CPU 1GHz in unusefull ? : how do you think it can handle such high quality videos resolutions ? Also try to browse Windows directory on ANY other PDA and check back your TG01 :) Try to access large databases and check...

- plastic quality is bad ? : no, I don't think so. But the USB trap is a non-sense...

- camera quality is bad ? : well, that's a PDA not a real camera ! it's not made to produce quality photos ! not in a 9.9mm thick device !

- battery is bad : YES ! I do agree... but, once again, I doubt you can place a 2000mAh battery in a 9.9mm thick device !

- need a WM 6.5 rom ? : wait a few weeks and you'll get it !

- need a device wich can hold custom roms : resell your TG01 and buy a HTC ! Or wait 'til someone find how to do it (maybe after WM6.5 update)

- random reboots : YES ! this is VERY annoying ! Let's hope this will be adressed in the WM6.5 release

- Bt and Wifi together : works on mine...

- audio quality is bad ? : Yes but it's the wired headphones and inside earphone wich are bad... I have NO PROBLEM with a Bt headset ! And with a device with that form factor it is ridiculous to phone without a proper headset...

- listening audio while charging : no problem with a Bt headset ! HTC Diamond had the same issue and a 3rd party accessory fixed this ! This device is new and not as sold as HTC usually does so wait and see...

- G-sensor : as it has previously been said this is a new chipset so let the devs adapt there apps to support it :) But as next HTC device will be based on the same chipset (Snapdragon) there will be updates :)

- do I feel ridiculous with this device ? : NO NO NO !!! Every single person I show it to is amazed (except som iPhone terrorists but their opinion is biaised)

xdalover and i900french-addict : we have the same views :) Quite normal isnt'it ? ;)

Edited by The Real Mc Coy

Guest The Real Mc Coy

You're right except that the Diamond has a 900mAh battery (not 1000) and mine lasted at least one day with proper settings...

Guest ┝┦θ┗し●
Sorry ┝┦θ┗し● but you are quite wrong IMHO... and so is gmx333.

I bought (99€ with subscription in France but now we can have it for 49€) a TG01 because it can play videos and MP3 at least as good as my Archos 605 does !

If you only need to use it as a telephone you don't need such a device with such a excellent screen !!!

To me :

- Video : so far one of the best video player I ever see ! Full screen HD content playback without an itch !

- Memory card corruption : sometimes I had troubles but never I needed to re-format ! Just a reboot... and always due to a 3rd party app !

- Toshiba (and in France Orange) interface(s) sucks ? : change it (or wait for WM65 update) ! There are plenty of GUI and many free ones !

- CPU 1GHz in unusefull ? : how do you think it can handle such high quality videos resolutions ? Also try to browse Windows directory on ANY other PDA and check back your TG01 :) Try to access large databases and check...

- plastic quality is bad ? : no, I don't think so. But the USB trap is a non-sense...

- camera quality is bad ? : well, that's a PDA not a real camera ! it's not made to produce quality photos ! not in a 9.9mm thick device !

- battery is bad : YES ! I do agree... but, once again, I doubt you can place a 2000mAh battery in a 9.9mm thick device !

- need a WM 6.5 rom ? : wait a few weeks and you'll get it !

- need a device wich can hold custom roms : resell your TG01 and buy a HTC ! Or wait 'til someone find how to do it (maybe after WM6.5 update)

- random reboots : YES ! this is VERY annoying ! Let's hope this will be adressed in the WM6.5 release

- Bt and Wifi together : works on mine...

- audio quality is bad ? : Yes but it's the wired headphones and inside earphone wich are bad... I have NO PROBLEM with a Bt headset ! And with a device with that form factor it is ridiculous to phone without a proper headset...

- listening audio while charging : no problem with a Bt headset ! HTC Diamond had the same issue and a 3rd party accessory fixed this ! This device is new and not as sold as HTC usually does so wait and see...

- G-sensor : as it has previously been said this is a new chipset so let the devs adapt there apps to support it :) But as next HTC device will be based on the same chipset (Snapdragon) there will be updates :)

- do I feel ridiculous with this device ? : NO NO NO !!! Every single person I show it to is amazed (except som iPhone terrorists but their opinion is biaised)

xdalover and i900french-addict : we have the same views :) Quite normal isnt'it ? ;)

I only use this phone for communication(make phone call, send & receive SMS, get on internet, use some applications). But I like it, I like the huge screen, it make me feel comfortable when I am operating. That's the only reason for me to purchase a mobile phone with huge screen. As I said, you can buy it just because you like it not for other reasons, and you can also abandon it if you don't like it anymore. 

What I mean is different user have different purpose, gmx333 feel disappointed because he(she) don't like it, that's normal and no necessary to judge the phone and the engineers are good or bad.

I only use this phone for communication(make phone call, send & receive SMS, get on internet, use some applications). But I like it, I like the huge screen, it make me feel comfortable when I am operating. That's the only reason for me to purchase a mobile phone with huge screen. As I said, you can buy it just because you like it not for other reasons, and you can also abandon it if you don't like it anymore. 

What I mean is different user have different purpose, gmx333 feel disappointed because he(she) don't like it, that's normal and no necessary to judge the phone and the engineers are good or bad.

Since when has file corruption been a matter of personal taste? In what possible scenario could the device cutting out after displaying 80% battery life be a matter of personal preference?? How exactly can communication be enhanced by cutting the last syllable from ever word you say? Why does having a lovely big screen excuse unreliability?

I think you misunderstood the complaints here. We are talking about faults, not features. For example, I cannot use this 'phone' as a phone, because on the few times I can hear it's pathetically quiet ring tone in order to answer it, the person on the other end of the line complains that they can't hear me properly and that my voice cuts out at the end of each sentence. I cannot use it reliably as a media device because it's internal memory is not big enough for a decent movie file and there is no guarantee that any file I put on the memory card will still be there when I go to open it. I cannot expect to be able to use it for mobile internet because the battery is likely to have run out by the time find the page I want, and I can't use it a paperweight because it's too damn light.

My previous phone (HTC TYTN II) had exactly the same operating system, a 400mhz made by the same company, (less than half the power), no graphics drivers, and the same third party software. I never had any of the random reboots, slowdowns, battery cut-outs or the card corruption problems I have with the TG01. My friends could actually hear my talk to them and my phone told me exactly how much battery life I really had, rather than making me guess.

It is very nice for you that you can put up with these problems, but I paid money for a phone I can use. I did not pay to be a beta tester for engineers who are too lazy to test their software in real-life situations.

After losing all my files last Tuesday, I got a replacement which then had to be reset several times in the first day as it started to slow down for no apparent reason, even before I installed any other applications. (I am talking about slowdowns that look like system freezes, not just a lack of patience). Both units had a fault with the battery where it would cut out despite reporting 80% battery life. I lost my data on my memory card for no apparent reason today (again). I had no other apps installed and nothing running off the card. It wasn't even the cheap Toshiba card that others have blamed this problem on, but a high quality class 6 card.

I wish I could love this phone, I really do. It has some great features, but most of them are, quite literally, broken.

Guest The Real Mc Coy

I have almost none of the problems you refer to... except the bad battery life. No more card corruption (I use 4 different microSD cards) since that I formatted from the one provided by Toshiba from a PC connected USB Drive, my phone conversations are fine and I can use it to view videos in the train or listen to MP3 as I can cope with the bad battery life either by recharging when I'm at work or at home or using an external battery...

I hope we'll soon get hi-power batteries available outside Japan...

Ringtone volume is not a problem to me as it is always on vibration mode or I have the a (bluetooth) headset connected.

Random reboots are the main proble I'm facing !

I do sincerely hope that WinMo 6.5 will adress most of the troubles...

I can understand people who cannot rely on their TG01 but all that I say is that I have not really a lot of problems...

QualComm SnapDragon is a brand new chipset configuration and unfortunately Toshiba rushed to sell it before HTC does. And every new hardware have "youth" problems. Let's expect that QualComm and Toshiba correct those problems...

Guest i900french-addict
Since when has file corruption been a matter of personal taste? In what possible scenario could the device cutting out after displaying 80% battery life be a matter of personal preference?? How exactly can communication be enhanced by cutting the last syllable from ever word you say? Why does having a lovely big screen excuse unreliability?

I think you misunderstood the complaints here. We are talking about faults, not features. For example, I cannot use this 'phone' as a phone, because on the few times I can hear it's pathetically quiet ring tone in order to answer it, the person on the other end of the line complains that they can't hear me properly and that my voice cuts out at the end of each sentence. I cannot use it reliably as a media device because it's internal memory is not big enough for a decent movie file and there is no guarantee that any file I put on the memory card will still be there when I go to open it. I cannot expect to be able to use it for mobile internet because the battery is likely to have run out by the time find the page I want, and I can't use it a paperweight because it's too damn light.

My previous phone (HTC TYTN II) had exactly the same operating system, a 400mhz made by the same company, (less than half the power), no graphics drivers, and the same third party software. I never had any of the random reboots, slowdowns, battery cut-outs or the card corruption problems I have with the TG01. My friends could actually hear my talk to them and my phone told me exactly how much battery life I really had, rather than making me guess.

It is very nice for you that you can put up with these problems, but I paid money for a phone I can use. I did not pay to be a beta tester for engineers who are too lazy to test their software in real-life situations.

The fact is that when I bought the TG01, I was quite aware, this device being the very first of a new platform, it would be muuuch less reliable than my previous samsung Omnia, and would require many settings and fixes to get advantages from its huge power.

(to be really honnest, I bought it because I definitly wanted to see FpseCE 0.10 running on it)

And the problem is that in many countries, it was sold as a traditional "phone", a ready to use "iphone killer", etc!

BUT IT IS NOT!

People should be aware of this, you can have the ultimate device with the TG01, but it takes time, it's almost experimental (and I personaly love it!!! lol)

Anyway, most of the bugs you mention can now be fixed (when you buy an HTC, you know you'll find every fix and everything in a few minutes, deve. on the TG01 is at its very beginning and will never go sa far! Once more: new architecture = things to improve)

-Memory card corruption: as long as you have some, make hard resets. Always close every running task on the TG01 before plugging it via USB (especially the file explorer!) and don't let it go "asleep" when connected. Doing this is not an officially working solution but is working for some, including me.

-Battery problems: try using the TG01 as you would use a laptop: minimum power when just waiting for possible incoming calls in your pocket, medium power when you want usuall application to run fast and smooth, high power only for 3D games or big videos. By doing this, my battery lasts 3 days (about 40 minutes high usage a day)

-Unwanted reboots? Have you SRS WOW on your device? See the other post. They always come from 3rd party applications, hard reset will fix it

-Bad sound quality during calls? If it is REALLY bad, ask for a replacement, some in France had this problem on their 1st TG01 (words being cut, parasites sounds...) it was a hardware problem. If the problem is the volume during calls, some registry changes help improving it (see other posts in the forum)

-Incoming-calls rings to low remains a problem, especially with the speaker in the back. I've placed some MP3 especially for this whose volume has been increased with a PC application.

-The camera quality: with such a thin device, it was not possible to have an excellent one, but right, the interface is too minimalist. At least, the bitrate of the recorded videos is good, much better than on my Omnia.

I know it's a big work to get something that will never be as reliable as an HTC or a Samsung, but the TG01 and its huge power deserve it.

It's not a phone! :)