21/08 Installing the patched recovery image on your device (permanently!)

Guest PaulOBrien

The instructions below detail how to install the patched recovery image (version .03 at the time of writing) on your device. The patched recovery image from is your gateway to device tweaking / ROM updating fun! :)

To install...

- download this file and extract it to your PC or Mac

- open a command prompt / terminal window to the directory containing the extracted files

- turn off your device, press and hold the 'green' button, then while keeping it held, press and hold the 'red' button. 'Fastboot' mode will launch. If you are using Windows, ensure you have the Samsung sync software installed

- type the following commands (use the appropriate box for Windows / Mac / Linux)

Windows

windows\fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Mac
chmod +x mac/fastboot
mac/fastboot flash recovery recovery.img[/code] [i]Linux[/i]
[code]chmod +x linux/fastboot
linux/fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
You have now flashed the recovery image, but you also need to copy across some supplementary files. - turn your device off (or pull the battery) and the press and hold the 'volume down' button, then while keeping it held, 'press and hold the 'green' button, then while still holding down both of those, press and hold the 'red' button. 'Recovery mode' will launch - type the following commands (use the appropriate box for Windows / Mac / Linux) Windows
windows\adb mount /sdcard
windows\adb push rectools.tar.gz /sdcard/[/code] [i]Mac[/i]
[code]chmod +x mac/adb
mac/adb mount /sdcard
mac/adb push rectools.tar.gz /sdcard/
Linux
chmod +x linux/adb
linux/adb mount /sdcard
linux/adb push rectools.tar.gz /sdcard/[/code]

[b]That's it, you should be done![/b]

If you turn your device off and relaunch the recovery image again, you should find that the recovery image menu gives you a host of options. If so, it's worked. If not, ask for help below!

P

[i]Recovery image courtesy of HDBlog.it![/i]

Guest AKOYLINI

Paul i have a problem,after make

windows/fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

and try to make

windows/adb mount /sdcard

windows/adb push rectools.tar.gz /sdcard/

i got error

error: device not found

ofcourse i have install usb drivers but as i can see not work 'adb'

adb does not seem to recognise the "mount" command.

The windows slashes should also be the other way around at the start, ie. windows\adb.

edit: Ok I realised I should go into adb shell first. Now I am getting the same "error: device not found" as Akoylini. Tried on both 32bit and 64bit os's with relevant drivers. I have the bootloader on there but just can't mount sdcard to push the img for more options.

edit2: Is it ok to use Odin? even though I have a patched recovery image (albeit with no options).

Edited by Roton

Guest nasserB

Does not work for me ,,,,, flashboot cant detect my device

nasser@nasser-desktop:~/Desktop/modaco-i7500-tools-1.0/tools$ linux/fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

< waiting for device >

I tried on ubuntu and vista ,,,, same thing

Edit: Solved by running fastboot as root.

Edited by nasserB

Summary of changes to Paul's first post (I messaged him, hopefully he'll edit the post):

1. The / after 'windows' should be \

2. The windows/adb mount /sdcard command is not necessary (and won't work)

3. You must install New PC Studio and all the USB drivers, then you must enable USB debugging for adb to detect your device.

error: device not found

If adb returns an "error: device not found", please see How to fix adb error: device not found on the Samsung Galaxy wiki.

Guest carthesis

OK. I'm no computer dummy, but I'm a bit lost here.

I followed these instructions to the letter, but hit a snag in that whenever I launched into FASTBOOT mode, Windows had a fit trying to find the driver for an 'Android 1.0 device', and by the time it had decided that it couldn't find one, the phone had just continued booting into the normal OS.

I've had a Galaxy for about a month now, it's on firmware H6, and it's hacking me right off that I can't update it, either 'legally' or 'illegally'! It's in Debug mode, as required, and the horrid horrid horrid waste-of-drive-space Samsung NPS software is installed. I can connect to the phone via USB and see the memory cards, but that's about it. As far as I can tell, that's all I SHOULD be able to see, correct?

I tried pointing Windows at the drivers from the Android SDK, but it told me that there were no drivers compatible with the device.

Can anyone help me?

Please?

Before this phone goes through the window, and I start hunting down O2 and Samsung technical staff with a hunting rifle?

EDIT:

I've just tried this entire process again on a PC that has never had any of the Samsung software installed on it previously. Downloaded NPS from the Samsung website, installed it. Plugged in phone, got an unknown device. Booted into FASTBOOT, got the Windows driver request for an Android 1.0 Device. Told Windows to look for it, no joy. Installed the 'USB drivers' from the CD that came with the phone, tried again. Same problem.

Help?

Before this phone goes through the window, and I start hunting down O2 and Samsung technical staff with a hunting rifle?

EDIT 2:

Tried it again, still no joy. Again tried forcing Windows XP to pick up the generic 'Android 1.0' device drivers from the SDK (android-sdk-windows-1.0_r2.zip), and again told that Windows can't find any suitable drivers for that device.

The biggest problem I'm having seems to be that because Windows can't find drivers, it can't find the phone in FASTBOOT, hence nothing else works.

Edited by carthesis

The biggest problem I'm having seems to be that because Windows can't find drivers, it can't find the phone in FASTBOOT, hence nothing else works.

Are you by any chance trying to do

windows\adb push rectools.tar.gz /sdcard/
in FASTBOOT mode? I tried that and indeed, adb didn't see the device. However, the correct command to run in FASTBOOT mode is:

And that one worked.

PS: when you mention "I followed these instructions to the letter", have you also looked at the Galaxy wiki? Unfortunately I installed all the drivers a month ago and didn't document the process faithfully at the time. Your insight would be helpful.

The Samsung Galaxy wiki is my attempt to centralize information about the Samsung I7500 Galaxy.

Guest carthesis
Are you by any chance trying to do

windows\adb push rectools.tar.gz /sdcard/
in FASTBOOT mode? I tried that and indeed, adb didn't see the device. However, the correct command to run in FASTBOOT mode is:

No, I'm not even getting that far.

The problem is that Windows isn't finding drivers for the generic 'Android 1.0' device listed when the phone is in FASTBOOT. It turns out that I might need to use the drivers from the Android 1.5 SDK, not the 1.0 SDK i listed. Makes sense in a way, as the base build is Cupcake (1.5). I was fooled by it being shown as an 'Android 1.0' device.

Basically, 'cos Windows isn't finding the drivers, it can't connect to the phone at all, so when you try to flash the recovery image, it's just sitting there saying <waiting for device>. The correct drivers for ADB don't seem to be included with the NPS download, at least not the NPS IH4 download linked on the samsungmobile.co.uk website. This means you've then got to install some other, ephemeral, undocumented, unsupplied drivers that I only found out about through the androidforums here: Link to androidforums.com

I'll try the updated SDK drivers when I get home and let you know.

If it works, I'll try to write a bit of a step-by-step 'idiot's guide' so to speak. Paul's instructions seem to be perfectly fine, but assume that simply installing the NPS is sufficient to get the phone connected in FASTBOOT mode, which based on my attempts last night seems to not be the case.

EDIT:

The link to how to fix ADB on the wiki isn't working - i tried reading it last night. The

Edited by carthesis

• 2 weeks later...

Modified Adb driver, and download mode driver. Fastboot driver is probably part of the download mode driver.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GGAPPHIE

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AE1SEO0G

No, I'm not even getting that far.

The problem is that Windows isn't finding drivers for the generic 'Android 1.0' device listed when the phone is in FASTBOOT. It turns out that I might need to use the drivers from the Android 1.5 SDK, not the 1.0 SDK i listed. Makes sense in a way, as the base build is Cupcake (1.5). I was fooled by it being shown as an 'Android 1.0' device.

Basically, 'cos Windows isn't finding the drivers, it can't connect to the phone at all, so when you try to flash the recovery image, it's just sitting there saying <waiting for device>. The correct drivers for ADB don't seem to be included with the NPS download, at least not the NPS IH4 download linked on the samsungmobile.co.uk website. This means you've then got to install some other, ephemeral, undocumented, unsupplied drivers that I only found out about through the androidforums here: Link to androidforums.com

I'll try the updated SDK drivers when I get home and let you know.

If it works, I'll try to write a bit of a step-by-step 'idiot's guide' so to speak. Paul's instructions seem to be perfectly fine, but assume that simply installing the NPS is sufficient to get the phone connected in FASTBOOT mode, which based on my attempts last night seems to not be the case.

EDIT:

The link to how to fix ADB on the wiki isn't working - i tried reading it last night. The

Hi guys,

I am having a problem flashing the recovery image. When i run the command, i get an error saying "error; cannot load 'recovery.img'" Anyone have any ideas at all? I desperately want to get hero on my galaxy, but am running into walls at the moment!

Cam

Hi guys,

I am having a problem flashing the recovery image. When i run the command, i get an error saying "error; cannot load 'recovery.img'" Anyone have any ideas at all? I desperately want to get hero on my galaxy, but am running into walls at the moment!

Cam

Did you copy recovery.img into the same directory as fastboot?

Did you copy the rectools.tar.gz to the sdcard? Its easier to just boot to android, mount the internal SD card and copy over the update.zip and rectools, then reboot to fastboot and flash.

adb push is flaky with large files for some people. Seems cable related.

Hmm... still no luck.

I have copied everything to where you said;

E:\windows contains Fastboot.exe, adb.exe, recovery.img, AdbWinUsbApi.dll and AdbWinApi.dll, as well as the USB driver folder.

In cmd i type;

E:\ (to mount e drive)

then

E:\windows\fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

and response i get it error: cannot load 'recovery.img'

Any other ideas? I have got the fastboot drivers for windows installed fine, that i know for sure...

Thanks

Cam

You need to do

cd e:\windows

and then

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

or e:\windows\fastboot flash recovery e:\windows\recovery.img

Otherwise it runs e:\windows\fastboot but assumes the recovery.img is in the current directory, i.e. e:\

Hmm... still no luck.

I have copied everything to where you said;

E:\windows contains Fastboot.exe, adb.exe, recovery.img, AdbWinUsbApi.dll and AdbWinApi.dll, as well as the USB driver folder.

In cmd i type;

E:\ (to mount e drive)

then

E:\windows\fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

and response i get it error: cannot load 'recovery.img'

Any other ideas? I have got the fastboot drivers for windows installed fine, that i know for sure...

Thanks

Cam

Cool, all done. Thanks heaps for the help guys! Appreciate it muchly - your patience with my moronic lack of comprehension is amicable! :)

Now to get galaxhero working... :(

• 3 months later...
Guest PanagiotaroS

Hello all!

I stuck at the step I have to put "windows\push rectools.tar.gz /sdcard/" Because everytime I write it in cms I take the message "failed to copy 'rectools.tar.gz' to '/sdcard//rectools.tar.gz': Read-only file system"

Any ideas please?

• 2 months later...
Guest EernstJ

I get following error:

tools$ sudo linux/fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

sending 'recovery' (3158 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: flash write failure)

What is wrong here...?

Edited by EernstJ