13/10 XXII5 - Installing the latest ROM on your device using Odin

Guest PaulOBrien

The i7500 has an official 'Samsung internal' download tool for Windows called 'Odin', which you can use to install firmware updates in the form of 'TAR' files.

To apply an update this way you need:

- Windows (I used XP)

- Samsung PC Suite installed (install from your CD in box or grab from here

- Odin + the Orion ops file (grab that here)

- The update you wish to apply (the latest at the time of writing is XXII5, which you can grab from here)

To update your device, follow the following steps:

- Put your device in download mode. Power if off, then press volume down, OK and end call all at once. Hold them and you will get a big 'downloading' graphic on the screen.

- Plug the device into your PC

- Run "Odin Multi Downloader v3.95.exe" from the file you downloaded above

- Ensure the boxes marked 'One Package', 'Reboot' and 'Protect OPS' are checked (as shown below(

- Click the button that says 'OPS' and browse to the Orion.ops file you downloaded above

- Click the button that says 'One Package' (the button near the bottom, not the checkbox) and browse to the update file (the TAR file)

- Your setup should look like the screenshot below. If so, click 'Start'!

- Sit back and wait

Your device will reset when done. You should consider doing a 'restore factory defaults' after an Odin update if you experience any issues.

Enjoy! :)

P

OdinReady.png

Guest nasserB

<2> START!!!

<2> odin mode.. do file mapping..

<2> check download environment.

<2> amss download..

<2> 1/5 Finished.

<2> kernel download..

<2> 2/5 Finished.

<2> system download..

<2> 3/5 Finished.

<2> recovery download..

<2> 4/5 Finished.

<2> cache.img download..

<2> 5/5 Finished.

<2> reset pda..

<0> Started Timer

<2> Close serial port and wait until rebooting.

<2> PASS!!!

<0> Killed timer
after that my device hang on :
Recovery MODE .......

and now I cant start my phone, but I can set my phone to download mode ....

where is the problem ?

Guest msiviter

That's a worry, and no answer to your post!

I might wait until I try it on mine! Please post if you sort it out. Have you tried booting into recovery etc?

Matt

That's a worry, and no answer to your post!

I might wait until I try it on mine! Please post if you sort it out. Have you tried booting into recovery etc?

Matt

The only real Odin files that were released were H2 (found on a russian site) and H7 (which i made from an official samsung update).

The correct format for an odin file is to include a userdata.img which forces a restore after the image is flashed. You can make your own Odin file from the official samsung fimrware update and use the userdata.img from H2 - as i did - but you never know when the format may change, and perhaps the new recovery won't be able to whats in the userdata.img

Someone made this package from the II5 update from samsung and didnt add a userdata.img. Actually this is probably safer because who knows how a new recovery might read an old userdata.img!

If you don't use the userdata image the update makes a mess on your system partition, and depending on what you had previously it might not be able to boot.

The recovery partition is always flashed corectly tho, so all you need to do is power down your phone and manually do a factory reset. That will wipe your messed up system partition and create a clean II5 system on it.

Just power down, and remove/replace the battery (to be sure its off), then press volume_down+call+power button. After boot, press menu button to start recovering.

Guest msiviter

Mine worked fine, I risked it as I'm having the same problems as the dude here:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/100...g-overview.html

not being able to get flashboot to see my device.

Keep up the good work Paul, please dont stop before donut!

Edited: Added some APN settings from:

http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html

seems to have got data working, do I need 'proxy', 'server', and the mms fields filling out and if so what with??

Edited by msiviter

<2> START!!!
<2> odin mode.. do file mapping..
<2> check download environment.
<2> amss download..
<2> 1/5 Finished.
<2> kernel download..
<2> 2/5 Finished.
<2> system download..
<2> 3/5 Finished.
<2> recovery download..
<2> 4/5 Finished.
<2> cache.img download..
<2> 5/5 Finished.
<2> reset pda..
<0> Started Timer
<2> Close serial port and wait until rebooting.
<2> PASS!!!
<0> Killed timer[/code] after that my device hang on :
[code]Recovery MODE .......

and now I cant start my phone, but I can set my phone to download mode ....

where is the problem ?

The process clearly worked OK... you say your phone won't boot? If not, use my guide posted here to reflash the patched recovery, then wipe and try booting! :)

P

Guest benner11

I followed your instructions and it all went very smoothly. Thank you. But now, I am finding that my phone is a little warmer than it was before, and the battery life has not improved. In fact, it seems to be running out of power ever faster. I bought the phone in Taiwan a few days ago and I had the NPS issues that everyone is having. Unsupported device. And the battery life was so poor that I needed to upgrade. I live in China and they don't have that phone here so I was on my own and took a chance by upgrading using your instructions. It had H7 on it before. I am also finding that the phone is slower than before. Menus don't open as quickly. The camera takes forever to open.

I followed your instructions and it all went very smoothly. Thank you. But now, I am finding that my phone is a little warmer than it was before, and the battery life has not improved. In fact, it seems to be running out of power ever faster. I bought the phone in Taiwan a few days ago and I had the NPS issues that everyone is having. Unsupported device. And the battery life was so poor that I needed to upgrade. I live in China and they don't have that phone here so I was on my own and took a chance by upgrading using your instructions. It had H7 on it before. I am also finding that the phone is slower than before. Menus don't open as quickly. The camera takes forever to open.

Did you factory reset after the update? Also with regards to the battery; there is a known problem where the case that it comes with depresses the camera button which prevents the phone from going into full sleep. If possible leave it out of the case whenever you can.

I have actually cut a hole in mine where the camera button is, so its not pressed by the case. Huge difference in battery life!

Guest benner11
Did you factory reset after the update? Also with regards to the battery; there is a known problem where the case that it comes with depresses the camera button which prevents the phone from going into full sleep. If possible leave it out of the case whenever you can.

I have actually cut a hole in mine where the camera button is, so its not pressed by the case. Huge difference in battery life!

I did do a factory reset. actually 2 because i couldn't connect to the market. i kept getting some sort of a SIM card not set up for data plan something-or-other error.

but thanks for the tip. i will keep it out of the case and see what happens. but every time i take it out of the case, the screen is dark and i have to unlock it. are you saying that pushing the button activates something even when the screen is locked and dark?

the phone is also more sluggish than before. could there be hardware differences between phones that would cause differences in performance with different ROMs?

now that my phone isn't a virgin anymore, i am seeing all sorts of interesting ROM options out there like this one that looks like the hero interface:

http://android.modaco.com/content/samsung-...in-your-galaxy/

that someone says is pretty fast. installation is a bit more involved though and i am a little nervous about doing something wrong.

glad to have this forum!

When you push the phone into the case listen carefully, you'll hear the camera button click in. The phone screen turns off after the timeout, but the phone itself doesnt go into sleep untill there's no activity for some other timeout. The half press on the camera buttons prevents it from sleeping :)

You can install spareparts from the market and check the 'running', 'sleeping' % stats and you can see for yourself!

The Hero rom is actually amazingly fast. They are using renice to increase the priority of core android processes, the home screen and the keyboard. The whole phone feels very very responsive. They also have compcache which compresses programs to swap which is created from compressed ram. If you think you are capable of following the instructions (yeah it is a bit more involved) i would definatly recomend it.

EDIT: Re the Hero rom, you cant do any permanent damage with it. If you screw up flashing the recovery you can just Odin again. If you screw up any later stage you can just use recovery to wipe or odin again. Its safe because it doesnt flash the baseband or the bootloader.

I did do a factory reset. actually 2 because i couldn't connect to the market. i kept getting some sort of a SIM card not set up for data plan something-or-other error.

but thanks for the tip. i will keep it out of the case and see what happens. but every time i take it out of the case, the screen is dark and i have to unlock it. are you saying that pushing the button activates something even when the screen is locked and dark?

the phone is also more sluggish than before. could there be hardware differences between phones that would cause differences in performance with different ROMs?

now that my phone isn't a virgin anymore, i am seeing all sorts of interesting ROM options out there like this one that looks like the hero interface:

http://android.modaco.com/content/samsung-...in-your-galaxy/

that someone says is pretty fast. installation is a bit more involved though and i am a little nervous about doing something wrong.

glad to have this forum!

Edited by kam187

hey guys,

odin does nothing for me. I have everything as per the instructions, yet when i hit start it just sits there doing nothing... any ideas?!?!

Cam

hey guys,

odin does nothing for me. I have everything as per the instructions, yet when i hit start it just sits there doing nothing... any ideas?!?!

Cam

Did you put the phone into download mode?

Its volume down, OK (the one in the middle of the d-pad) and the power button (call end button)

You should see a square icon in the middle of the screen. Then odin should recognise it. If it needs a driver, let me know.

Did you put the phone into download mode?

Its volume down, OK (the one in the middle of the d-pad) and the power button (call end button)

You should see a square icon in the middle of the screen. Then odin should recognise it. If it needs a driver, let me know.

Lol... my initial response to this was an indignant cry of "of course, im not a moron"... until i realised i really am a moron. I was chucking it in recovery mode instead.

Thanks for assuming the worst of me! :)

Cam

Guest benner11

Bought the SD card. Been fiddling all day trying to sort through the instructions to flash galaxhero. can't get the fastboot to work. in windows, nothing happens for 20 seconds or so, then the phone reboots. in linux, i get 'waiting for device' and then nothing happens on the desktop. the phone reboots. i just read on another forum that (maybe) the fastboot doesn't work with II5. i will use odin to flash h8 again and see if that is the case.

Bought the SD card. Been fiddling all day trying to sort through the instructions to flash galaxhero. can't get the fastboot to work. in windows, nothing happens for 20 seconds or so, then the phone reboots. in linux, i get 'waiting for device' and then nothing happens on the desktop. the phone reboots. i just read on another forum that (maybe) the fastboot doesn't work with II5. i will use odin to flash h8 again and see if that is the case.

Fastboot works fine on II5, but you need to install the driver. You have to be quick because in II5, as you say it reboots after 15 seconds. Previously it just sat at fastboot.

Check here for the drivers:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/113...roid-app-2.html

I find its easier to just boot into fastboot and install the driver first, then do the recovery flash.

Also you should use the new 4.2 recovery he just put up as it fixes the g.apps backup problems.

Guest benner11

Got it installed. Looks great! Thanks for your help. adb was tricky. had to open nps with debug checked and mass storage unchecked. then the drivers installed properly.

• 2 months later...

hi, guys

Can I update my galaxy with latest ROM IK4 or IK5 with different CSC? What would happend if I put CSC file from different carrier.

My phone,

PDA: I7500XXIG8

Phone: I7500XXIG8

CSC: I7500TWOIG6