Bricked your Omnia 2?

Guest GeneNZ

It would be good to create a thread about bricked Omnia 2's, listing the symptoms and potentially any fixes. It would be even better to list how you bricked it, so people can avoid what you did.

I haven't bricked my I8000 as yet (fingers crossed I won't), but I'm creating this thread because I've noticed a number of users on this forum who sounds as if they have bricked their phone after a flash. I remember a thread like this was created in the XDA-Dev forums, and they were most useful, because it provided you a single place to go when your all panicked and worked up over your broken phone.

Basically to get the ball rolling, a tip:

When you flash your phone, don't flash the eboot/phone part (credit goes to Sorg for this) if you don't have too. Those are the 'dangerous' parts that brick your phone. Only flash when you geniunely have too. Also, I find that you need to flash eboot and phone in tandem, because the phone component is more tightly integrated with the eboot. Sometimes different eboot's won't work with different phone parts.

When ur 8GB internal memory is lost or missing, do not flash the PDA part and or maybe eboot also.

You still can flash the Phone part. :)

Send to service centre and fix it 1st before flashing again.

Edited by KSTAN

Guest monyozt
When ur 8GB internal memory is lost or missing, do not flash the PDA part and or maybe eboot also.

ok.. tell us when finish. i mean did ur warranty still covvered or already void because you're using custom rom...

Guest tacchan23

I can suggest not to flash while using a USB hub to connect your phone:D

I got the screen posted above but everything was fine later when I connected my phone to laptop directly^^

Guest Khuanchai

Have you tried to flash with nb0? If sorg's theory is right, you will be able to flash with nb0 even without internal storage.

Have you tried to flash with nb0? If sorg's theory is right, you will be able to flash with nb0 even without internal storage.

Let me try again when i get back home, i dun trust the laptop in my office (brick my i900 twice last time).

Have yet to send for servicing due to work... :)

Guest gpap2004
If you cannot get into the boot loader screen any more, then you will have to send it to Samsung service center. However, this is the worst situation and I hope it happens rarely under normal flashing process.

I am one of those the are in this situation! When i was trying to flash the rom , i saw a message in octans 2.10 saying "Bootloader failed!Disconect!" After that , my phone's screen started to turn off until it turned off for ever! The start (on/off) button of the phone did not responed. So, my phone is now totally dead!I believe that i am the fisrt in this situation worldwide!!!

Bootloader is very dangerous in this phone!

I think that my phone must go to Samsung service center except anyone has some idea..

Edited by gpap2004

I am one of those the are in this situation! When i was trying to flash the rom , i saw a message in octans 2.10 saying "Bootloader failed!Disconect!" After that , my phone's screen started to turn off until it turned off for ever! The start (on/off) button of the phone did not responed. So, my phone is now totally dead!I believe that i am the fisrt in this situation worldwide!!!

Bootloader is very dangerous in this phone!

I think that my phone must go to Samsung service center except anyone has some idea..

I've very wary of the eboot recently. I haven't had problems, but out of all the components it is the most dangerous. Out of interests sakes, what did you flash with? i.e. Windows XP or Vista? What version were you upgrading too and had you successfully flashed before?

By the way, good work with the thread so far guys. With people on this forum starting to get into ROM flashing, this thread will be useful for those unfortunate people.

Yes, just tried, i can flash PDA with nb0 even without internal storage.

I try with the version XXIIB as the J1 and J3 ROMs contains only MST not nb0 files.

I will still need to go service centre to fix my internal storage.

Any idea how do we get the nb0 file?

Edited by KSTAN

Guest monyozt

I try with the version XXIIB as the J1 and J3 ROMs contains only MST not nb0 files.

so u mean if worst thing happed(missing 8gb) we still able to flash with nbo(pda part) file?

Guest Khuanchai

sorg is the expert on making nb0 from dump. :)

Guest lada203

Right, I believe I've bricked my phone using the New PC Studio software from Samsung to update to the latest version of the Omnia 2.

During the installations some errors occured with the software, so the update cancelled, leaving my phone in "Download Mode". Basically I see no way of getting out of this mode, so I have removed the battery and placed it back in.

Now I'm experiencing trouble with the Emergency Recovery feature, whenever I try to restore my phone, since I did make a back-up, the "update" stops at 41% of a total of 75%, just giving me the error that there's a different application running. However this application seems to be ActiveSync since it pops up right at that instant, it gives me the options of "Switch to..." and "Retry" however none of these work and it send me to the screen where it says: "If the phone is not functioning properly, go to Restore mode." Which seems to rather be a paradox, since I am in "Restore/Recovery mode".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Right, I believe I've bricked my phone using the New PC Studio software from Samsung to update to the latest version of the Omnia 2.

During the installations some errors occured with the software, so the update cancelled, leaving my phone in "Download Mode". Basically I see no way of getting out of this mode, so I have removed the battery and placed it back in.

Now I'm experiencing trouble with the Emergency Recovery feature, whenever I try to restore my phone, since I did make a back-up, the "update" stops at 41% of a total of 75%, just giving me the error that there's a different application running. However this application seems to be ActiveSync since it pops up right at that instant, it gives me the options of "Switch to..." and "Retry" however none of these work and it send me to the screen where it says: "If the phone is not functioning properly, go to Restore mode." Which seems to rather be a paradox, since I am in "Restore/Recovery mode".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use Octans Downloader to update firmware.

Guest lada203

It seems that there is no connection to ActiveSync, could that be the problem? However a USB connection is acknowledged.

I've just gotten Octans Downloader, however the language seems martian to me. My back-up is also in the New PC Studio format .wbu I believe.

It seems that there is no connection to ActiveSync, could that be the problem? However a USB connection is acknowledged.

I've just gotten Octans Downloader, however the language seems martian to me. My back-up is also in the New PC Studio format .wbu I believe.

Use OCTANS and reflash the device. Read the instructions pinned at the top of the main forum page to get instructions how to do that. You should be able to recover from this, since I had a similar problem when I made a mistake from OCTANS. I haven't used PC Suite though.

You don't need an activesync connection when flashing with OCTANS. Plus I wouldn't be concerned too much with your backup for the time being. I'd rather get the phone up and running, then worry about the backups after the fact.

Edited by GeneNZ

Guest gpap2004
I've very wary of the eboot recently. I haven't had problems, but out of all the components it is the most dangerous. Out of interests sakes, what did you flash with? i.e. Windows XP or Vista? What version were you upgrading too and had you successfully flashed before?

By the way, good work with the thread so far guys. With people on this forum starting to get into ROM flashing, this thread will be useful for those unfortunate people.

It was in XP SP3 Never flashed again omnia II. It was very new... I had it only few hours!!!(My omnia I had flashed about 500 times!! For cooking purpases!)

Guest monyozt
It was in XP SP3 Never flashed again omnia II. It was very new... I had it only few hours!!!(My omnia I had flashed about 500 times!! For cooking purpases!)

go to service centre is the only solution

Guest lada203
Use OCTANS and reflash the device. Read the instructions pinned at the top of the main forum page to get instructions how to do that. You should be able to recover from this, since I had a similar problem when I made a mistake from OCTANS. I haven't used PC Suite though.

You don't need an activesync connection when flashing with OCTANS. Plus I wouldn't be concerned too much with your backup for the time being. I'd rather get the phone up and running, then worry about the backups after the fact.

Does this void my warranty, is my warranty already voided? Do I have to have the appropriate files to reflash to the prior state? Can I flash from the state my phone is in directly to 6.5?

Does this void my warranty, is my warranty already voided? Do I have to have the appropriate files to reflash to the prior state? Can I flash from the state my phone is in directly to 6.5?

If your concerned about warranty, your best bet is to head to the service centre and forget about OCTANS. I would say if you updated via PC Suite, which I suppose is the official method of updating your phone firmware/Rom, and it goes wrong, then Samsung needs to deal with it.

In my case, my country hasn't even got the Omnia 2, so the service centre here wouldn't even know what to do with it if it hit them across the face. So OCTANS is really my only method. Whether it voids warranty is debatable in my opinion, because the firmware and Rom's that Secany provide are still official Samsung ROM's. Its just that they just haven't been flashed by an official means (but Samsung don't know that, so you can use that to your advantage).

• 1 month later...
Guest rogainer
I can suggest not to flash while using a USB hub to connect your phone:D

I got the screen posted above but everything was fine later when I connected my phone to laptop directly^^

Thanks very much to both Khuanchai and Tacchan23

Without this thread and tips, I would have been stuck.

I tried upgrading my Omnia to 6.5 through the official Singapore site, but the process froze at 85% - only option was to disconnect - I then ended up with the ROM loader screen shown above - panic.

I had originally connected through a multi USB/Card reader hub - after reading this thread, I downloaded all necessary files and connected USB directly to back of machine - and flashed without problem - much relief.

Guest skoda60

It was my first time and then fellow many time to fresh the Omnia2. Used Octane 2.1 with XP without service Patch 3. As long as you fellow the expert here especially the pinned topic. Once you completed the ROM files in Octane setting. Press detect. Before plug in the USN into the phone, make sure the phone must be off. Once it detected. The start button will became active. Press the "Start buttom" and waited for the whole process to completed. Voila.

Thank very much of this site for provided so many information and tools.

Guest MaliciousKen
Try this:

Start EBOOT updating, suddenly unplug your device! :D

Anyway, i8000 unbrickable during the whole firmware update process.

how true is this? I dare not try... LOL :(