Leakage: More WM7 Goodness?

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
thumb_21-Oct-2009_wm7.png

Ahhhh, can you hear that? That's the sound of leaky goodness...

WMExperts got mailed the screenshot over yonder that was supposedly mocked up during the planning phase of WM 6.5.1. The image shows the difference between WM 6.5 (top) and WM 6.5.1 (bottom). Obviously, as we all know by know thanks to other leaky goodness, WM 6.5.1 does not look like that. However, the bottom row as it is there is how WM7 should look when it finally comes our way - or so WMExperts have been told.

Personally, something doesn't smell right with this one. It just strikes me that that level of UI change is not a .1 increment in software dev terms. So if the original story behind the image is wrong, what else is wrong? It does, however, tie in with other "leaked" images of WM7. I just find it very difficult to belive it was originally intended to be WM 6.5.1. Maybe I'm just focusing on the wrong part of the story :)

Anyway, thoughts?

It might just be me, but I'm sure I've seen those images before, and about 6 months ago at that.

These are mockups for what may well once have been WM7, but with all the changes happening in WM6.5.1, I really doubt this will be what we get in a years time.

Someone probably saw the UI changes as being a relatively insignificant change to the OS and assumed they were to be 6.5.1.

I think these were WM7 mockups, but when they were produced, not months down the line of development...

Guest Sonicr360

It's unlikely to change the view of WM users who are most probably looking elsewhere now !

Did I hear right, that Google Android HTC device got some sort of award on T3 ?

Guest zarquon

It wouldn't be the first time a major update from Microsoft got a small increment in version number, for those who can remember (and I think I can) back to NT3.5 and NT3.51.

Also more recently Windows 2000 to Windows XP. The underlying version numbers were 5.0 and 5.1 It goes on with Windows Server 2003 as 5.2, Vista being 6.0 and Windows 7 is 6.1.

Edited by zarquon

Guest Sonicr360

Errr..... what improvements from 6.0 to 6.1?

To be honest, I did not rate it that highly.

When you look back to WM2003 and pocket PC's (aka Windows CE) not much has really changed.

Still using the stylus for most functions.

Its only thanks to guys like HTC that are creating a near stylus free device.

Android seems to be going places though.

Guest Sonicr360
It wouldn't be the first time a major update from Microsoft got a small increment in version number, for those who can remember (and I think I can) back to NT3.5 and NT3.51.

Also more recently Windows 2000 to Windows XP. The underlying version numbers were 5.0 and 5.1 It goes on with Windows Server 2003 as 5.2, Vista being 6.0 and Windows 7 is 6.1.

Nah! Go back Further to MS-Dos .....

:)

Guest ScreamingFalcon
Errr..... what improvements from 6.0 to 6.1?

To be honest, I did not rate it that highly.

When you look back to WM2003 and pocket PC's (aka Windows CE) not much has really changed.

Still using the stylus for most functions.

Its only thanks to guys like HTC that are creating a near stylus free device.

Android seems to be going places though.

Note, I said the improvements were mainly for Standard (Smartphone) version, not Professional which already had alot of the stuff that was added in 6.1 to Standard for years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.