More HD2 Features (Roundup)

Guest l3v5y

Pocketnow have videoed some of the cool/useful features of the HD2 from the latest available ROMs...

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

Is anyone swayed by the new offerings?

Guest philly-d
Is anyone swayed by the new offerings?

I am!!!! I'm liking TF3D more and more with these updates and its functionality seems to be getting deeper and deeper. Now all I need is a Diamond ROM with this new TF3D on it :D

Guest andybarker

Having that new way of selecting text is putting me off having any capacitive screen devices. Looks like a right pain compared with using my fingernail (I presume that won't work any more?).

I am!!!! I'm liking TF3D more and more with these updates and its functionality seems to be getting deeper and deeper. Now all I need is a Diamond ROM with this new TF3D on it :D

That's the downside to VGA screens... HTC have moved on and are using (F)WVGA.

Having that new way of selecting text is putting me off having any capacitive screen devices. Looks like a right pain compared with using my fingernail (I presume that won't work any more?).

Fingernail won't work, though I can select text with the pad of my finger on a Diamond...

Guest theroadwarrior

Me too.. i'm really excited about the HD2, apart from the capacitive screen. I'm all for touchflo making it easier to navigate with your finger but whats the point of the capacitive screen? What does it bring to the party?

Not having a stylus will mean my text entry rate will really drop off and working with the nuts and bolts of WM will be much harder :-(

Me too.. i'm really excited about the HD2, apart from the capacitive screen. I'm all for touchflo making it easier to navigate with your finger but whats the point of the capacitive screen? What does it bring to the party?

Not having a stylus will mean my text entry rate will really drop off and working with the nuts and bolts of WM will be much harder :-(

HTC have covered up almost all of the "nuts and bolts" as you put it... Almost all the settings pages have been covered up with HTC versions...

Capacitive makes it more sensitive in that you don't actually need to apply pressure, though I find that disconcerting because you can trigger screen actions without touching the screen. It also brings multitouch which for some bizarre reason seems all the rage even though it doesn't make a device any easier to use apart from when you have both hands completely free, or have a table.

Guest andybarker

Multitouch doesn't appeal to me so far. Not tried it, so will reserve some judgement for a while. To be honest I am happy with the way my Diamond works with fairly standard software. Diamond is a lovely size for a phone, but a bit small when trying to read / reply to emails & SMS. Not sure I want to try and put a HD2 in my trouser pocket!

Multitouch doesn't appeal to me so far. Not tried it, so will reserve some judgement for a while. To be honest I am happy with the way my Diamond works with fairly standard software. Diamond is a lovely size for a phone, but a bit small when trying to read / reply to emails & SMS. Not sure I want to try and put a HD2 in my trouser pocket!

Diamonds are almost small enough to be a normal phone... The HD2 etc are a little large, but I'm sure I can get used to it! I know people that carry athenas in their pockets, and HTC have done a fantastic job with reducing the size of the bezel for the screensize... :D

Guest Sonicr360

Quote : HTC have covered up almost all of the "nuts and bolts" as you put it... Almost all the settings pages have been covered up with HTC versions...

but surely, Microsoft should be working on this themselves or a technology that is (as iPhone users state) finger friendly.

Am I right in understanding that this is just a "layer" on top of the standard WM OS?

Guest andybarker
Quote : HTC have covered up almost all of the "nuts and bolts" as you put it... Almost all the settings pages have been covered up with HTC versions...

but surely, Microsoft should be working on this themselves or a technology that is (as iPhone users state) finger friendly.

Am I right in understanding that this is just a "layer" on top of the standard WM OS?

The option for Microsoft as you suggest is one option, but some people see the current state as being better - the manufacturers and operators can create their own customisations as they see fit. This allows them to distinguish themselves from others that use WinMo. Is a little like the variants of Linux out there - same basic infrastructure underneath, but with individual customisations on top.

Personally I think if MS leave things pretty much alone on the UI side, and add features (such as multitouch for those that want it), and let companies such as HTC create a custom UI for the underlying features - all the better.

Guest Sonicr360

But when you have a product like the OS iPhone, that as I understand, is not depending on 3rd party companies in its standard form?

But I do know that unlocking the iPhone means you can change it to your hearts content

Guest UnLoCkSmItH
Diamonds are almost small enough to be a normal phone... The HD2 etc are a little large, but I'm sure I can get used to it! I know people that carry athenas in their pockets, and HTC have done a fantastic job with reducing the size of the bezel for the screensize... :D

I really do like my Diamond but cant use it as my main phone. God forbid anything should happen to it I would lose all data on the 4gb internal storage. I prefer to have a memory card so if the device fails I can always restore the regular backup I make and still have all my files intact.

Touch Flo is just a layer on top of WM. MS are working on making everything better (have you seen the recent builds?) but even if they do make it fantastic, HTC will continue to pump out different UIs to differentiate themselves (as andybarker said).

Guest andybarker
Touch Flo is just a layer on top of WM. MS are working on making everything better (have you seen the recent builds?) but even if they do make it fantastic, HTC will continue to pump out different UIs to differentiate themselves (as andybarker said).

Nokia have their own hardware and software, Sony Ericsson the same, and a few others are the same. For the manufacturers that use WinMo, they need to differentiate themselves in part with hardware, but also with making the OS "their own" in some way. HTC have succeeded as much as they have in part down to their customisation of the UI - hence their move into Android phones - more ability to customise the OS / phone to become pretty much their own.

Nokia have their own hardware and software, Sony Ericsson the same, and a few others are the same. For the manufacturers that use WinMo, they need to differentiate themselves in part with hardware, but also with making the OS "their own" in some way. HTC have succeeded as much as they have in part down to their customisation of the UI - hence their move into Android phones - more ability to customise the OS / phone to become pretty much their own.

Though the depth of customisation in WM is greater than in Android I think... I don't see a custom settings UI do you? And, HTC had to make things like the Hero not Google Experience devices 'cause they touched the firmware too much.

Guest Sonicr360

Hi l3v5y

Thanks for the update and clarification. To be truthful, I have not seen any other ROM's as I am really in the mood of turning off WM and going for Android or iPhone.

It is a shame that HTC offers the brilliant of this from a top level, but still has the standard MS OS underneath.

But here is hoping MS get their act together and do something serious about it, before it finds itself last in the race.

Hi l3v5y

Thanks for the update and clarification. To be truthful, I have not seen any other ROM's as I am really in the mood of turning off WM and going for Android or iPhone.

It is a shame that HTC offers the brilliant of this from a top level, but still has the standard MS OS underneath.

But here is hoping MS get their act together and do something serious about it, before it finds itself last in the race.

Thing is, the MS OS is very good for memory management, multitasking, Outlook etc, it might not have the best UI (though I really like the latest builds) but because of the way it's put together, HTC can add a UI they like and add to the features underneath.

Guest Sonicr360
Thing is, the MS OS is very good for memory management, multitasking, Outlook etc, it might not have the best UI (though I really like the latest builds) but because of the way it's put together, HTC can add a UI they like and add to the features underneath.

This is probably where we will disagree - I have been using these devices for some time, and I have to confess that seeing Android (Hero) and iPhone, I just cannot help feeling short changed.

I am not just referring to the OS and UI of course, but these devices are pretty new to come onto the Market.

Microsoft just appear to have lost some ground. Also as a phone, the TYTN II for example, its not been very fluid in terms of presing a number... very hesitant at times, and its after countless reboots and clean hard resets.

Ho-Hum. All I hope is that MS do something soon and dont lag behind :D

Just my own view of course, but it has been an experience for me to have devices like Hero and iPhone at hand to use and at least compare.

But it really is each to their own. :P

This is probably where we will disagree - I have been using these devices for some time, and I have to confess that seeing Android (Hero) and iPhone, I just cannot help feeling short changed.

I am not just referring to the OS and UI of course, but these devices are pretty new to come onto the Market.

Microsoft just appear to have lost some ground. Also as a phone, the TYTN II for example, its not been very fluid in terms of presing a number... very hesitant at times, and its after countless reboots and clean hard resets.

Ho-Hum. All I hope is that MS do something soon and dont lag behind :D

Just my own view of course, but it has been an experience for me to have devices like Hero and iPhone at hand to use and at least compare.

But it really is each to their own. :P

How old is your TyTN2 then? The issues with that were related not to the OS, but to HTC not handling the drivers correctly...

Guest Sonicr360

I just came across this article, and it makes some very, very interesting reading from the CEO @ HTC, and I personally feel its worth a read...

http://news.aliSPAM.com/article/detail/tec...-microsoft.html

Came across this via another WM Site.

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14711

Like I said, I am not bias in anyway, but I just feel MS are pointing not just customers, but vendors in a different direction.

Time they got their act together me thinks....

Simon

Guest Sonicr360

Quote: How old is your TyTN2 then? The issues with that were related not to the OS, but to HTC not handling the drivers correctly...

I have owned it since it came out... .was it 2007? Sep or Oct time?

It is on WM 6.5.1 as well.

Hardly anything installed on this, just Tom Tom (rarely used) and the basic OS features and RDP add-on.

Simon

Quote: How old is your TyTN2 then? The issues with that were related not to the OS, but to HTC not handling the drivers correctly...

I have owned it since it came out... .was it 2007? Sep or Oct time?

It is on WM 6.5.1 as well.

Hardly anything installed on this, just Tom Tom (rarely used) and the basic OS features and RDP add-on.

Simon

I see you comparing a two year old device to a device released this year, of course it's not going to go well for the TyTN2! Though it always had 3G, unlike the iPhone...

MS have got a lot of changes in the making with regards to WM, just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.