Google Maps Mobile gets an update! (Android for now)

Guest l3v5y

Whilst it may only be android for now, my guess (and hope) is that Google will port the new turn by turn navigation feature to WM as well.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

Today, Google announced the new turn by turn navigation features of Android 2.0. It's built in to the Google Maps application and so has a large amount of integration with things like street view, voice control and satellite images.

Like the rest of the Google Maps features, it downloads the relevant data as you go, which is great in that you're always up to date, but what if you go through a tunnel with no mobile signal?

28-Oct-2009_the-game-has-changed-6-1256751508.jpg

Judging by the fall in Garmin and TomTom shares, people obviously think Google have got something, but what do you think of Googles latest attempt to know everything about you?

Guest SilentBob

Love the t-shirt they made him wear. :D

This looks pretty cool. But there are a couple of things that bother me...

- Data Usage - How much data is it likely to chew up? Even those "unlimited" plans all have a FUP, so will it eat into this much?

- Lag - You always hear people complaining about even the slightest lag in their Sat Nav caused by the GPS receiver/software. Will the reliance on data, rather than locally stored map data, cause even more of a lag? How will this transfer to real life usage?

These said, at the end of the day it is a free solution. The takeup on this is going to be HUGE!

Guest Shadowfixeruk
Like the rest of the Google Maps features, it downloads the relevant data as you go, which is great in that you're always up to date, but what if you go through a tunnel with no mobile signal?

I never (well hardly ever) use GMM anymore on my mobile, why? because it sucks if your not in a 3G area.

Thats the reason i went out and bought CoPilot - because when i was using GMM to get from A to B and then i moved out of a good reception area (read many places not in towns\cities) the signal dropped, GMM hangs and you need to start again. Whilst i agree that "Free is hard to beat", i wouldn't use GMM as my only satnav!

SF

I never (well hardly ever) use GMM anymore on my mobile, why? because it sucks if your not in a 3G area.

Thats the reason i went out and bought CoPilot - because when i was using GMM to get from A to B and then i moved out of a good reception area (read many places not in towns\cities) the signal dropped, GMM hangs and you need to start again. Whilst i agree that "Free is hard to beat", i wouldn't use GMM as my only satnav!

SF

I agree with that. I have both GMM which is faster and has satellite view, but then use TomTom for getting me places.

Guest Sonicr360

On a seperate issue, I have to wonder what the impact would be on vendors like TomTom, who charge people alot for a Sat Nav Stand Alone device, when you hear that Google is offering this for free :D

Guest Sonicr360

On a seperate issue, I have to wonder what the impact would be on vendors like TomTom, who charge people alot for a Sat Nav Stand Alone device, when you hear that Google is offering this for free :D

APOLOGIES FOR DUPLICATE POST: IE playing up, refused to refresh page to confirm it was uploaded!

Edited by Sonicr360

In the first post there's an image of what TomTom and Garmin shares did when it was announced.

It's cool, but I do start to worry about how well Google is getting to know me via data mining my email, my bookmarks, my news reader, all my searches, my home page (igoogle), etc. etc.

Still, it's my choice to let them know all this, I suppose!

Guest benjitek
Whilst it may only be android for now...

It's like the Yellow Pages -- they make money by merely existing. That's great, because we'll all get this app, regardless of platform. Anything GPS navigator that requires web access may as well close up shop :D If Google really wants to do it up right, they create a product that'll work offline as well...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.