PDAclan has cooking information!!

Guest powser

Thanks for great translation. I still have a question for the above part. After we pack the imgfs.bin from dump, does he mean we have to fill up the new imgfs.bin to the same size as the original imgfs.bin? What content to use to fill up or just a blank content?

Another question is about the LANGPACK. He didn't mention about this or we just ignore this part?

Hi Khunchai,

I think u can fill up with 00's. As for the LANGPACK, there was no mentioned abt it. :D

If u r using buildimgfs.exe to pack imgfs.bin, it will preserve the size according to WeiSun. But if u use imfsfromdump, u need to use hex to fill up the new imgfs.bin to the same size as the original.

Guest Khuanchai
Hi Khunchai,

I think u can fill up with 00's. As for the LANGPACK, there was no mentioned abt it. :D

If u r using buildimgfs.exe to pack imgfs.bin, it will preserve the size according to WeiSun. But if u use imfsfromdump, u need to use hex to fill up the new imgfs.bin to the same size as the original.

I still have a long way to go. Some information here is not valid, for example, os.nb size, sectors, and checksum are for os.nb part only not the whole nb file (it contains os.nb and LANGPACK). We need some more information and practical way to cook the ROM. Besides sorg, pako is the one who can help us.

Firstly I'll start by saying i don't know anything about rom editing, I'm just gathering from what I read in the article:

I don't see any mention of languages or pack in the article.

Is langpack really necessary? Isn't editing os.nb enough?

According to the article, after getting os.nb (and a header.pre) all u need to do I guess is edit the os.nb (by putting in new imgfs.bin manually with hex, and XIP and boot with the osnbtool) , then modify the header.pre, then use copy /b to combine them into PDA.NB0...

Edited by powser

Guest tacchan23
Firstly I'll start by saying i don't know anything about rom editing, I'm just gathering from what I read in the article:

I don't see any mention of languages or pack in the article.

Is langpack really necessary? Isn't editing os.nb enough?

According to the article, after getting os.nb (and a header.pre) all u need to do I guess is edit the os.nb, then modify the header.pre, then use copy /b to combine them into PDA.NB0...

Maybe those who can speak chinese well could help Khuanchai by traslating his questions (maybe send him a PM to ask if he has more questions in details) and post them in the PDAclan forum?

Good news finally came :D

I'll upload 1 more version, consider it will be lastest version of i8k series ROMs I'll upload :P

i don't understand your point of view.

How cooked ROM can replace official ROM?

There are still some glitches in samsung programs and it won't be fixed by cooked ROMs.

For example, SMS/MMS application still needs to be improved and Samsung really improving it little by little in every ROM release. Currently, most annoying thisng is when you open keyboard, list won't scroll to the latest message. And you can not scroll it because keyboard will disappear and if you will open kbd again, you again will loose latest message... So, it's very annoying.

Cookers simple can't fix this.

Guest bluhound
i don't understand your point of view.

How cooked ROM can replace official ROM?

There are still some glitches in samsung programs and it won't be fixed by cooked ROMs.

For example, SMS/MMS application still needs to be improved and Samsung really improving it little by little in every ROM release. Currently, most annoying thisng is when you open keyboard, list won't scroll to the latest message. And you can not scroll it because keyboard will disappear and if you will open kbd again, you again will loose latest message... So, it's very annoying.

Cookers simple can't fix this.

Just my point of view here. To me, I will only go for cooked ROMs with all traces of Samsung's customised applications stripped off.

By having that, I am able to select specific 3rd party apps which I will install without bloating the memory up.

Also, after trying out several ROM revisions, I found that most of the glitches and bugs are from Samsung's customisation.

In PC wise, its like using nLite to remove all unwanted stuff on WinXP and have a mean slim OS that meets your specific needs.

Just my point of view here. To me, I will only go for cooked ROMs with all traces of Samsung's customised applications stripped off.

By having that, I am able to select specific 3rd party apps which I will install without bloating the memory up.

Also, after trying out several ROM revisions, I found that most of the glitches and bugs are from Samsung's customisation.

In PC wise, its like using nLite to remove all unwanted stuff on WinXP and have a mean slim OS that meets your specific needs.

no problem. Everyone is free in choice. But if you think you will get more free RAM using 3rd party software then you are totally wrong.

Also, WM6.5 eats RAM as hot cakes. WM6.5.1 even more.

In my ROM i've removed only WidgetPlus (replaced by PointUI) and MainMenu (replaced by standard WM6.5 start menu).

I like when everything in harmony which samsung did. All apps share same color gamma and philosophy.

I think you want to put something like Manilla 2D/3D and expect to have a lot of free RAM.. hehe.. good luck :D

May be it's better you could go with HTC phones with their ugly windows interface and manilla replaced today.

no problem. Everyone is free in choice. But if you think you will get more free RAM using 3rd party software then you are totally wrong.

In my ROM i've removed only WidgetPlus (replaced by PointUI) and MainMenu (replaced by standard WM6.5 start menu).

I like when everything in harmony which samsung did. All apps share same color gamma and philosophy.

I think you want to put something like Manilla 2D/3D and expect to have a lot of free RAM.. hehe.. good luck :)

May be it's better you could go with HTC phones with their ugly windows interface and manilla replaced today.

I agree with sorg, a little off topic, but , though am not as great cooker and as great as sorg, i prefer vanilla ROMs, which save good amount of resources and help perform PPC phone better.I have cooked 23081 vanilla and 23081 with manila 2.5 and found that ROM with manila looks hot, but it doesnt perform at all, while vaniall OS, awesome.I wud say HTC device like hot girl without brains :D

it is our choice, what to choose and use for our benefit

Guest Khuanchai

I think you want to put something like Manilla 2D/3D and expect to have a lot of free RAM.. hehe.. good luck :)

The idea of cooking ROM is already universal now for WM users, either HTC or non-HTC. It's not worth to discuss here on cooked ROM vs original ROM. People who want to stick with original ROM or don't want to contribute to ROM cooking just stay away from this thread.

You at least cook your ROM to suit your style of use. I learned that you don't want to share your knowledge to public and won't ask for your contribution anymore. People also have their own styles of using their mobiles. Some may feel comfortable with Samsung interface but some may want to completely get rid of them. What I think the best way to go for cooking is to have a clean ROM (either WM 6.1 or 6.5) and people can customize their phone for own use.

Just my 2 cents.

Guest rodrigofd
The idea of cooking ROM is already universal now for WM users, either HTC or non-HTC. It's not worth to discuss here on cooked ROM vs original ROM. People who want to stick with original ROM or don't want to contribute to ROM cooking just stay away from this thread.

You at least cook your ROM to suit your style of use. I learned that you don't want to share your knowledge to public and won't ask for your contribution anymore. People also have their own styles of using their mobiles. Some may feel comfortable with Samsung interface but some may want to completely get rid of them. What I think the best way to go for cooking is to have a clean ROM (either WM 6.1 or 6.5) and people can customize their phone for own use.

Just my 2 cents.

1000% agree with you Khuanchai....i am kind of surprised by actittude of certain users from this forum, which i believe is not the general philosophy of this community (uninterested share and collaboration for the better of the mayority), but hopefully it is not the prevalent one, so we can still keep working in what is this forum main goal: make the best of our phones... i believe everyone knows that most users here choose this kind of devices simply by the fact of how much they can be customized to suit one's personal needs. This kind of arrogance certainly doesn't sum up to what we intend to do, so, in the worst case, it should be simply ignored...

i only got 1 sentence for Sorg and i am pretty sure he can understand what the sentence means.

独乐乐不如众乐乐

might be better in traditional chinese :)

Guest Albertri
i only got 1 sentence for Sorg and i am pretty sure he can understand what the sentence means.

独乐乐不如众乐乐

used google and here's the direct translation : "The joy to celebrate together than alone"

Guest tacchan23
I learned that you don't want to share your knowledge to public and won't ask for your contribution anymore.

That's quite sad... not wanting to share a finished product (ROM in this case) is totally acceptable, but I hoped Sorg could have shared some of his knowladge to other expert cookers :)

Guest bluhound

OK, now that cooking instructions have been released. I managed to extract the data from the image.

I would like to start modding the OS (to be exact, removing OEM apps) but I can't seem to find any guides to start from.

There are a few but they are not detailed enough.

Can anybody point me to the right direction?

OK, now that cooking instructions have been released. I managed to extract the data from the image.

I would like to start modding the OS (to be exact, removing OEM apps) but I can't seem to find any guides to start from.

There are a few but they are not detailed enough.

Can anybody point me to the right direction?

Before you start modding anything, have you tried to see if you're able to recompile the unmodified files and flash it to phone?

I think it may be good to try that first, because there's no point in changing something to find out that you're unable to flash the changes later on :/

All the best to your endeavors!

In kingmobile forums someone has tried to modify some files in imgfs (not cooking) and recompiled and try to flash into octans, but octans gave PDA checksum fail.

I think they're trying to hex edit the checksum now. Hopefully some goodnews will come out of it.

Guest bluhound
In kingmobile forums someone has tried to modify some files in imgfs (not cooking) and recompiled and try to flash into octans, but octans gave PDA checksum fail.

I think they're trying to hex edit the checksum now. Hopefully some goodnews will come out of it.

Cool. I guess I'll wait for the result then. Actually managed to extract the data (from this topic) 2 weeks ago but I have not the time to fully mess around with it....yet.

Right now my schedule's packed up.... :)

Guest Wilson@China

The latest news from Kingmobile, somebody had flashed the phone with "modified" ROM sucessfully after the correction of "checksum" error. And the phone can boot-up without any problem.

BTW, regarding the ROM cooking, I partially agree with Sorg's opinion. No matter how Samsung did, their intension is understandable. As a phone, the interface perfection must based on one basic point, i.e. it's stable, convenient to operate and responsive enough. I believe Samsung put more priority on the convenience improvement instead of responsive. So sometime, we encountered some issues. I think we have to admit that either Main Menu, or Widgetplus, it's much easier for single hand/finger operation compared with WM standard UI's performance. But how to balance the convenience and the responsive, it's up to everybody's choice. So I still expect a really simple cooking tool comes out.

PS: I think there two major concerns should be improved for the cooked rom, one is how to guarranty the responsive with enabling the Samsung beautiful interface. Another is how to improve the memory leakage, especially once the GWES.exe thread reaching 20MB, the whole system became very unstable even some application will have the rendering issue.

Edited by Wilson@China

Was reading through the guide till the part using osnbtool. How to use osnbtool ? After opening the whole thing closes. Help required first time trying out "cooking". Thanks

Edit : found out how. thanks all

Edited by jermx