26/Jan 2.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Sprint CDMA Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom Hero ROM for the CDMA Hero! No wipe is required for this ROM.

You can now create a customised ROM containing only the parts you required - click here to read more about the MoDaCo Custom Custom ROM online kitchen!

MCR now optionally includes Wavesecure in ROM, allowing you to lock / locate / wipe your device remotely in the event of loss and be notified if the SIM is changed. The application cannot be uninstalled by a thief and we are actively working with Wavesecure to ensure that in a forthcoming release, your settings will survive a hard reset!

This ROM is based on the updated 'MR' ROM release series (together with my own optimisations) for the best possible performance! The ROM is packaged as a core version with optional add on packs.

Included in the 'core'

- Now includes a MoDaCo Custom Kernel 1.2 with EXT3/4, Compcache support, extended iptables support, NFS/CIFS, tun module and much more! To enable compcache, use the kitchen or edit /system/init.d/compcache.sh

- Built with my new MCR build process which reduces size and boost speed of the ROM

- Rooted with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK

- A2SD included (fully automatic - thanks cyanogen!) - create a EXT2 partition as your second partition to use. dalvik-cache remains on device.

- Added Jbed Java

- Added Dropbear SSH running by default, check 'About' screen for password (port 2222). You can now remove this by running /system/bin/removedropbear.sh

- Added Notes app from Dragon

- Added Spare Parts (run it and switch the 2 animation types to 'fast' for an even better experience!)

- Added WiFi Status indicator, with kind permission of Andrew Schwimmer

- Added busybox 1.15.3 with Droid Explorer support

- Added nano 2.09 - text editor for use in shell mode

- Added parted and sqlite tools

- Added terminfo and settings to boot.img to allow nano etc. use

- Added files required for Debian linux including loxley's updated bootdeb script

- Added all 4 available HTC widgets

- Moved Quickoffice to data partition to allow easy uninstall

- Moved Google Maps and Google Voice Search to data partition to allow easy update

- Deleted 'Learn More' application

- Silenced boot sound (it's still there and can be reactivated with a file edit)

- You can now check your MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) version from the about menu

Included in main 'enhanced' add on pack

- Added Business Card Scanner

- Added WAP browser

Other optional add on packs (apply as normal update zips)

- 'WaveSecure' add on pack (puts Wavesecure in ROM - it is no longer in core)

- 'Boot Sounds' add on pack (restores boot sounds)

- 'Hebrew Fonts' add on pack (installs hebrew fonts)

Recommended applications (available from the market)

- More Locale for setting non english Locales

Downloads

This ROM is also available customised to your exact requirements in the MoDaCo Custom Custom ROM online kitchen in the second post of this topic - check it out!!

'Core' download: DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro)

'Wavesecure' add on pack: http://www.wavesecure.com/installations/update.zip

'Boot Sounds' add on pack: DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro)

'Hebrew Fonts' add on pack: DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro)

ENSURE YOU DO A NANDROID BACKUP SO YOU CAN 'ROLL BACK' IF REQUIRED!

Please note that first boot may take a little while, especially if you have a lot of apps on your A2SD partition. Be patient! If you want a real clean start or you have issues with your existing A2SD installed apps when you boot, you need to wipe your EXT2 partition on SD too by executing 'adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app', 'adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app-private' and 'adb shell reboot' :D

The ROM is in an update.zip format for installation via the custom recovery image.

For the complete newbies, these are the steps you need to take with a 'virgin' Hero:

- Download and install (via rooting) the patched recovery image (step by step guide to follow)

- Download this custom ROM, and copy it to your SD card

- Enter the recovery image (if you're not in it already) by powering on while pressing 'home'

- Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup

- If you copied the custom rom as update.zip, select 'apply sdcard:update.zip', else select the option below.

- all done

Feedback / feature requests welcome! :)

Finally, if you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta ROM releases and access to the the online kitchens.

P

Changelog

Now includes a MoDaCo Custom Kernel 1.2 with EXT3/4, Compcache support, extended iptables support, NFS/CIFS, tun module and much more

Updated Wireless Tether application

Updated Wavesecure application

Fixed boot sound timing in boot sounds restore option

Based on shipping MR update

Updated Busybox 1.15.3 adds support for Droid Explorer

All 4 available HTC widgets are now included in ROM

Built using the new MCR build process for improved performance

A2SD mounting bugfix

Initial Release

Guest pvillasuso
Version 1.1 is now online.

P

WT.. , lol , that was FAST !

Thanx Paul for all these amazing ROM's ! :D

Offtopic:

Any info about a MCR realease with android 2.0 for HTC Hero ( GSM ) ?? :)

Guest TheCodeMonk
Offtopic:

Any info about a MCR realease with android 2.0 for HTC Hero ( GSM ) ?? :)

I think he'd need to get access to the Android 2.0 Kernel from HTC most likely...same reason as we don't have an Android 1.6 MCR for the Hero. :D

Guest pvillasuso
I think he'd need to get access to the Android 2.0 Kernel from HTC most likely...same reason as we don't have an Android 1.6 MCR for the Hero. :)

Thanks for the reply TheCodeMonk ...

I can't sleep ! :D , kinda getting addicted to this phone ..!

Guest salvo62
CDMA != GSM = Sprint Hero for example.

P

Scusa Paul, ma non so scrivere in inglese.

Ti voglio chiedere una cosa, ho il mio Hero

con la tua Modaco 2.9.

Volevo mettere la versione CDMA 1.1 ma non ci riesco

come devo installarla?

Premetto che ho la Amor RA 1.2.2.

Aspetto

Guest TheCodeMonk
whot do CDMA means?

CDMA is a band/type of radio technology used by cell phones. The major players of this in the US are Verizon and Sprint.

GSM is a different band/type of radio technology used by cell phones. The major players of this are ATT and T-mobile.

The different radios are actually different hardware so swapping from CDMA to GSM isn't available to the majority of phones (only a few actually have both, generally marketted as "world phones").

Guest The Ragin Asian

Thank you so much! This is absolutely amazing! I intend on upgrading my membership and donating to this awesome work very next pay check!

YOU HAVE MADE MY HERO RIGHT! Therefore, YOU are my new Hero!

P.S. Written through Wifi Tether! Which, as many of you may know from reading various posts, is not achievable without this ROM!

Edited by The Ragin Asian

Guest dom2114

Hi there,

First off, thanks for all the hard work...Gone through the entire process and all is working perfectly.

My question is whether apps 2 sd is actually working?

I've put completely bare ROMs on my hero (reverted back to stock ROM, wiped it, wiped & partitioned the sdcard to fat32, ext2 & swap, then flashed with 1.1). I then go to install an app and it doesn't show up on the SD card and my internal memory decreases (indicating that its not on the SD card?)

Don't think I've missed any relevant details, but Im keen to get this working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest jmanley

Great Job!!!

How can I add back in the Sprint ## commands? I think the only thing that worked for me was ##DEBUG#. But I noticed I was not able to do an OTA PRL update, and I couldn't do a ##PRL# to manually add one. Also, it'd be really really nice to do ##DATA# to change things like my slot cycle, access overload, etc. And ##DIAG# would be required to use CDMA Workshop ever.

Is this just an .apk from the original ROM that needs added back in (assuming it was deleted during the process)?

Guest TheCodeMonk

How unusual, I just tested and all the commands you mentioned there worked for me (running 1.1 of MoDaCo's ROM on my sprint hero).

Over at XDA, I noticed Apps2SD on this ROM is...not consistent. It appears to be working for some and not others. I haven't decided to take the plunge yet since I'm not terribly low on space. :)

Guest jmanley
How unusual, I just tested and all the commands you mentioned there worked for me (running 1.1 of MoDaCo's ROM on my sprint hero).

Over at XDA, I noticed Apps2SD on this ROM is...not consistent. It appears to be working for some and not others. I haven't decided to take the plunge yet since I'm not terribly low on space. :)

Sorry... I rebooted after the initial boot/setup and all the ## codes work fine. Also, OTA PRL update works fine...

Plus... DroidExplorer works pretty OK (only tried it on Win7 x64 and it's a bit buggy... have to try it on my Win7 x86) with this ROM...!!!!! AWESOME JOB!!!

Guest sbddude

I can't get past copying the ROM to my SD card. Am I supposed to copy the zip file or its contents?

When I press HOME + Power I get a Triangle with a "!" inside it. I pulled the battery to reboot back to normal Sprint stock.

I am using a 16GB MicroSD. Does that make a difference?

Help please!

Guest jmanley
I can't get past copying the ROM to my SD card. Am I supposed to copy the zip file or its contents?

When I press HOME + Power I get a Triangle with a "!" inside it. I pulled the battery to reboot back to normal Sprint stock.

I am using a 16GB MicroSD. Does that make a difference?

Help please!

Home + End doesn't get you to the recovery mode with the Sprint Hero. You have to hold down the Volume-Down button and END until you get a white screen (hold them both down, don't just press End). Then, you press Home to go to the recovery. ****BUT FIRST***** make sure you've got Amon-Ra's recovery flash on your phone, or you will get the triangle with ! in it.

Guest jjjjayd13

How do we use 'Enhanced' version on Sprint Hero?

I tried to install using update.zip method, but no success.

I did have success using that method with 'Core'.

TIA

jjjjayd13 :)