26/Jan 2.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Sprint CDMA Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest TheCodeMonk
How do we use 'Enhanced' version on Sprint Hero?

I tried to install using update.zip method, but no success.

I did have success using that method with 'Core'.

TIA

jjjjayd13 :D

First you install core...then you go and repeat with the enhanced pack...(do it the same way you did the core). It just adds onto the existing stuff. :)

Guest jjjjayd13
First you install core...then you go and repeat with the enhanced pack...(do it the same way you did the core). It just adds onto the existing stuff. :)

Thanks much!

jjjjayd13, :D

Hi i'm new here and I did my extensive reading and successfully did the root and everything. now where i'm lost is at this ROM. I downloaded the core its still in zip form. how do i go about flashing that part to the Hero? Do i copy to the card then rename it update.zip?

heres what I did, download>drag and drop>rename: "update.zip"> turn phone off and boot into recovery >Apply Sdcard: update.zip.

I get Installation aborted because no such file or directory.

any help appreciated. thx

figured it out guys.**** it was renamed to update.zip which i think i shoulve just put update (because its already .zip extention)

anyways great work here!

Edited by Duj0n

Guest sbddude
****BUT FIRST***** make sure you've got Amon-Ra's recovery flash on your phone, or you will get the triangle with ! in it.

Can you explain this? I didn't see any mention of this in the first post.

Guest esoteric1311
Hi there,

First off, thanks for all the hard work...Gone through the entire process and all is working perfectly.

My question is whether apps 2 sd is actually working?

I've put completely bare ROMs on my hero (reverted back to stock ROM, wiped it, wiped & partitioned the sdcard to fat32, ext2 & swap, then flashed with 1.1). I then go to install an app and it doesn't show up on the SD card and my internal memory decreases (indicating that its not on the SD card?)

Don't think I've missed any relevant details, but Im keen to get this working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

+1

I can't seem to figure out if my apps are on my sd. Thanks

Hi!

Having trouble installing the modaco rom.

I am an osx 10.6.1 user with a Sprint HTC Hero.

I rooted the Hero with the instructions from [http://theunlockr.com/2009/11/07/how-to-root-your-cdma-htc-hero-sprint-verizon/].

I installed the recovery image and made a Nandroid backup.

The problem is, whenever I try to "Apply sdcard:update.zip", I get the error message "E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip(bad)".

I thought maybe the modaco rom had gotten corrupted during transfer so I tried transferring it by mounting the sdcard, and renaming and dragging using the finder, as well as "adb push"ing the zip to the sdcard.

Have I missed a step? Thanks!!

Edited by nordah

Keep getting lots of force closes after installing custom ROM

i tried restoring my phone via the nandroid backup and installing the ROM again, but no change

looked in "about phone" under settings and it said "REBOOT REQUIRED" next to the build number... rebooted and no change...

anyone else having this issue?

Guest TheCodeMonk
Hi!

Having trouble installing the modaco rom.

I am an osx 10.6.1 user with a Sprint HTC Hero.

I rooted the Hero with the instructions from [http://theunlockr.com/2009/11/07/how-to-root-your-cdma-htc-hero-sprint-verizon/].

I installed the recovery image and made a Nandroid backup.

The problem is, whenever I try to "Apply sdcard:update.zip", I get the error message "E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip(bad)".

I thought maybe the modaco rom had gotten corrupted during transfer so I tried transferring it by mounting the sdcard, and renaming and dragging using the finder, as well as "adb push"ing the zip to the sdcard.

Have I missed a step? Thanks!!

Have you tried redownloading it from the internet? It may have actually been corrupted from there rather than from the transfer between computer and phone.

Guest oklydohkly
Keep getting lots of force closes after installing custom ROM

i tried restoring my phone via the nandroid backup and installing the ROM again, but no change

looked in "about phone" under settings and it said "REBOOT REQUIRED" next to the build number... rebooted and no change...

anyone else having this issue?

Yeah I am seeing issues like that on my Sprint HTC Hero. Most of them are non-essential apps but I just ran into one with Calendar. If you click on an address inside an event in your calendar, Google Maps will not run properly and you are forced to shut Google Maps down. But if I execute Google Maps by itself it works.

Guest xdarkfluxx

When i try to install the core rom i get the error

E: No digest for boot.img

E: Verification failed

Installation aborted.

Just making sure all you are supposed to do is rename the core rom zip to update.zip and place it in the root of my sd card?

Edit:

figured it out.

rename the core rom to 'update' not 'update.zip'.

Edited by xdarkfluxx

If someone can either dump the OTA update (best option) or provide me a system nandroid after the update (if the above isn't possible), i'll update MCR.

P

I certainly could do the second (but it sounds like we would both prefer the first option)... However, for the first option I would need some assistance/information. How, would I go about doing that? And, in either case where would I upload the file(s) once captured?

Guest nemesys504
If someone can either dump the OTA update (best option) or provide me a system nandroid after the update (if the above isn't possible), i'll update MCR.

P

http://bit.ly/fresh-rom-sprint-mr

Hope this helps. Got it from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=584032. Says its the actual sprint release. I love your ROM. Would love it more with the new update. Great work.

UPDATE: http://rapidshare.com/files/308943608/update.pkg

Should be an unmodified update package. Got it from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=586229 on post #7.

Edited by nemesys504

Guest Gambit727

In order to load the Sprint MR, I downgraded to the original shipping ROM using the RUU, then ran the MR, re-rooted and updated to MoDaCo 1.1. Now Voicemail is Force Closing. I guess I should have done the Voicemail update first.

I'll restore from nandroid and try that...

edit: Scratch that, I just restored to the recovery image and I DID have the upgraded version of voicemail installed and working, no idea why it is force closing after installing MoDaCo 1.1. Prior to the MR it was working on the MoDaCo ROM. Anyone else experience similar?

Edited by Gambit727

Guest Gambit727

Oops I guess I wasn't thinking last night. The MoDaCo ROM reverses the MR update, so now I have some strange brew of the MR update with the 1.1 MoDaCo ROM on top, so disregard previous post. I'll wait on an updated MoDaCo ROM.

Oops I guess I wasn't thinking last night. The MoDaCo ROM reverses the MR update, so now I have some strange brew of the MR update with the 1.1 MoDaCo ROM on top, so disregard previous post. I'll wait on an updated MoDaCo ROM.

Paul, I know I'm just being impatient... (Sorry ahead of time.) But, should we still be expecting an update for the Maintenance Release from you? I tried the Fresh ROM... Even after a Nadroid restore to just after Root and a complete system wipe it didn't work correctly with Apps2SD and didn't seem to work correctly with the Super User Application (no prompts).

Besides I REALLY like your 1.1 version so I'm hoping to stay with Modaco.

Thanks,

Jim (rokair)

Guest The Ragin Asian
http://bit.ly/fresh-rom-sprint-mr

Hope this helps. Got it from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=584032. Says its the actual sprint release. I love your ROM. Would love it more with the new update. Great work.

UPDATE: http://rapidshare.com/files/308943608/update.pkg

Should be an unmodified update package. Got it from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=586229 on post #7.

Paul: Just out of curiosity, was this what you needed? Is there anything we can do to help push this update into your ROM asap? Thanks for all the excellent work!

Paul: Just out of curiosity, was this what you needed? Is there anything we can do to help push this update into your ROM asap? Thanks for all the excellent work!

I spoke too fast when i put up my last post. Over at XDA MoDaCo indicated that yes he would work on this for us (keep in mind that it appears that Paul is really just doing this out of kindness and maybe a little sport as he doesn't seem to have a CDMA Hero) but that he was out of town (actually in the US) on Business. He also indicated that we might see something on Mondayish... :-)

I am glad to see multiple people working on ROMs and to see that people are even taking MoDaCo's work and building on it. But, I have simply had no issues with MoDaCo's 1.1 ROM and to be honest my primary reason for Rooting is to get a good implementation of Apps2SD. I also like that the Super User Application actually works in Paul's ROM.

Hope this helps ease the waiting. I know for me half the battle is always knowing.

Paul, Thank-You for your efforts. No matter your motivation the results are greatly appreciated.

-Rokair

Guest The Ragin Asian

Extremely helpful thank you! Some of the craftier people over at the XDA forums have figured out a good Unofficial MoDaCo update that I think will work fine as well, in the event that I just can't wait for Paul to update it. Who knows how long before I'll get the itch! Know how to edit the build.prop files by chance? I don't mind loading a new ROM but I do want it to say the correct build after its loaded!

Unofficial 1.2

Extremely helpful thank you! Some of the craftier people over at the XDA forums have figured out a good Unofficial MoDaCo update that I think will work fine as well, in the event that I just can't wait for Paul to update it. Who knows how long before I'll get the itch! Know how to edit the build.prop files by chance? I don't mind loading a new ROM but I do want it to say the correct build after its loaded!

Unofficial 1.2

I wish I knew more about the technical details of this stuff and I hope to learn more at some point. I am technical but really a Microsoft programmer/manager (yea I slipped into the management world and forgot 80% of what i knew).

I had seen the Unofficial 1.2 which could be an option with the itch or the Fresh Rom is getting closer. .5D (just released) seems to address most of their issues but they are still having issues getting WIFI Tether to work and it seems there may still be an issue with bluetooth headsets (Media, but phone seems to work). (This issue is important for me as I listen at home, on walks, and at work via a MOTO S9HD.)

I really just like how stable MoDaCo 1.1 was from the very beginning, I don't really care to strip all the Sock Apps as that really doesn't free up extra ROM (that I care to use) and I use the Apps2SD anyway, ... I am not unhappy with MoDaCo 1.1 so I will likely stay there until MoDaCo has an update. (The only MOD I do to MoDaCo 1.1 is to execute the command to remove the SSH. Not sure if it is really true or not but it seems that the battery does better without it and I don't seem to have a use for it. I even very successfully ran the Swapper application on top of this for a little while, but it doesn't make a huge difference in my case and I don't want to kill my SD card so I don't use it now.)

Edited by Rokair

Guest lpeezy99

P

Hey Paul,

I don't know if you know but the with this new update from Sprint, Copy Protected Apps cannot be downloaded from the Market anymore. I'm missing like 10 of my great apps now. Is there anyway that this can be corrected in the new ROM that you will be releasing?