26/Jan 2.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Sprint CDMA Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Yeah I am seeing issues like that on my Sprint HTC Hero. Most of them are non-essential apps but I just ran into one with Calendar. If you click on an address inside an event in your calendar, Google Maps will not run properly and you are forced to shut Google Maps down. But if I execute Google Maps by itself it works.

I'm having trouble with Google Maps as well. I thought I may have broken something so I went back to my original Nandroid back-up then reapplied MoDaCo.

Google Maps launches fine from its widget/icon, however when I search for anything I get the error message:

"The application Google Maps (process com.google.android.maps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

Is this an artifact of MoDaCo moving "Google Maps and Google Voice Search to data partition to allow easy update", and if so, has anyone found a solution? Removing the battery didn't seem to help. Would a hard reset be a solution to this type of problem, or if not, how would one move the applications back to their original locations?

Thanks!

Edited by nordah

Guest esoteric1311
I'm having trouble with Google Maps as well. I thought I may have broken something so I went back to my original Nandroid back-up then reapplied MoDaCo.

Google Maps launches fine from its widget/icon, however when I search for anything I get the error message:

"The application Google Maps (process com.google.android.maps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

Is this an artifact of MoDaCo moving "Google Maps and Google Voice Search to data partition to allow easy update", and if so, has anyone found a solution? Removing the battery didn't seem to help. Would a hard reset be a solution to this type of problem, or if not, how would one move the applications back to their original locations?

Thanks!

I found that if you uninstall google mapps, then redownload and reinstall from the market, it fixes the problem.

I found that if you uninstall google mapps, then redownload and reinstall from the market, it fixes the problem.

Thanks esoteric. I thought that might fix the problem but I've been unable to find 'Google Maps' (as google says to look for) on the market. Would someone mind posting the app so I can reinstall it?

For the complete newbies, these are the steps you need to take with a 'virgin' Hero:

- Download and install (via rooting) the patched recovery image (step by step guide to follow)

- Download this custom ROM, and copy it to your SD card

- Enter the recovery image (if you're not in it already) by powering on while pressing 'home'

- Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup

- If you copied the custom rom as update.zip, select 'apply sdcard:update.zip', else select the option below.

- all done

Hello, can you please post detailed guide for really complete newbie (me)?

Thank you

Guest AllDay24/7

I have been having a ton of force close issues, and have tried everything.

• Reformatting and Repartitioning sdcard
  • Restoring and re-installing rom
  • Exchanged phone and starting over
  • Wiping everything Dalvik, ext3, user data

Finally I got it down to one thing, the sdcard is where all the issues are occurring. Now I use backup for root users, and evertime I reboot, I have to load into recovery mode, wipe ext3, reboot and then restore apps. Its a pain in the a@#. It works, but there has to be another way. Anyone got any idea if there is something I am missing.

Guest Butler1981
Hi there,

First off, thanks for all the hard work...Gone through the entire process and all is working perfectly.

My question is whether apps 2 sd is actually working?

I've put completely bare ROMs on my hero (reverted back to stock ROM, wiped it, wiped & partitioned the sdcard to fat32, ext2 & swap, then flashed with 1.1). I then go to install an app and it doesn't show up on the SD card and my internal memory decreases (indicating that its not on the SD card?)

Don't think I've missed any relevant details, but Im keen to get this working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same question.

"About Phone" shows that I am using the MoDaCo ROM. However my internal phone memory still shows on 13MB avail. My ext partition is 1024MB.

Using the HTC Hero (Sprint)

Guest woofers1803

Has anyone else been having issues with getting the Superuser Permissions application to work? I keep getting a black screen and it never goes anywhere even when I let it sit for half an hour.

What about a way to remove those pesky Sprint applications that I'll never use? Any way to get rid of them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For the person/people with the Google Maps issues, if you wipe and re-flash the ROM, it seems to have fixed the issue for me. I couldn't find Google Maps on the Market, so I tried that as a last ditch last night and it worked.

I flashed this ROM on my Sprint Hero yesterday and so far so good! Loving the changes from the stock one and the apps2sd! So much better and faster! Hoping it will fix the memory leak that the stock ROM had. So far it's doing great, but only time will tell!

Edited by woofers1803

Has anyone else been having issues with getting the Superuser Permissions application to work? I keep getting a black screen and it never goes anywhere even when I let it sit for half an hour.

What about a way to remove those pesky Sprint applications that I'll never use? Any way to get rid of them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For the person/people with the Google Maps issues, if you wipe and re-flash the ROM, it seems to have fixed the issue for me. I couldn't find Google Maps on the Market, so I tried that as a last ditch last night and it worked.

I flashed this ROM on my Sprint Hero yesterday and so far so good! Loving the changes from the stock one and the apps2sd! So much better and faster! Hoping it will fix the memory leak that the stock ROM had. So far it's doing great, but only time will tell!

Here's the guide I used to get rid of it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581635

Guest Steubing

Thanks for the hard work on getting this ROM out.

After I installed it, I keep getting this wierd dimming issue. Has anyone else seen that and know how to resolve it?

I will be using the phone like normal and then suddenly it dims like it's been idle for too long. I then only thing I can do to restore it to full brightness is to hit the red end button and then hit it again and unlock the screen.

It's getting quite annoying and it did not start until after I applied the custom ROM.

I'm very happy with the upgrade form the original rom, feels faster anfd consumes less battery.

But I have one issue. The "My Contacts" group is not in it and therfore Touchdown cannot copy the contacts in a proper way. Is it possible to add it?

Guest woofers1803
Thanks for the hard work on getting this ROM out.

After I installed it, I keep getting this wierd dimming issue. Has anyone else seen that and know how to resolve it?

I will be using the phone like normal and then suddenly it dims like it's been idle for too long. I then only thing I can do to restore it to full brightness is to hit the red end button and then hit it again and unlock the screen.

It's getting quite annoying and it did not start until after I applied the custom ROM.

I had that happen too. I had to do a total wipe and reinstall the ROM to fix a Google Maps issue, and it seemed to fix that issue too. Might have been a coincidence, but it hasn't done it again since I did that. Might give it a shot if you're not too adverse to having to reset your settings and all. Worth giving a shot unless someone else has any better ideas!

Please excuse my ignorance here, as I'm still trying to understand all of this at least on a level that's greater than where I'm at now.

I'm already rooted, and already have a few apps removed and am running the Fresh ROM.

I'm looking for a way to run at least 1.6 on my Sprint Hero, not just 1.5. (currently states that I'm running 1.56)

I've paid for apps that have since been upgraded, but the upgraded versions only run on 1.6+.

Will the MoDaCo ROM essentially flash my Hero with 1.6+ (2.0 even?)

Or, how would I need to go about doing this? I seem to be having trouble finding threads related to this. Or, it's possible that it's just not possible right now...lol

Hi all, quick question, as this rom looks to be the best out there.

I have an htc sprint hero in the US ( CDMA). I have the recovery152.img working and I currently have a custom installed rom. When I download the latest modaco I was able to select it from the recovery menu and then get an error in line 2 == "hero" and it doesnt install.

I had to do a lot of bouncing around to get my hero rooted and the recovery images on there and am going to try to compile a simple walk through for sprint cdma phones if people are interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest drossean
How unusual, I just tested and all the commands you mentioned there worked for me (running 1.1 of MoDaCo's ROM on my sprint hero).

Over at XDA, I noticed Apps2SD on this ROM is...not consistent. It appears to be working for some and not others. I haven't decided to take the plunge yet since I'm not terribly low on space. :)

I have never posted to a forum before so I'm sorry if I did this wrong and I apologize in advance for being such a...I think noob is the term? ;) I got the Sprint Hero for my son and had to go back and get one for myself! So I read tons of information over a few days and finally got the guts to root it and install this ROM. The thing is, I don't know if the apps2sd it working. My question is, do I have to actually go in and do something with the partitions after I install the ROM or is it all just automatic? I checked my memory before and after deleting an app and the only memory that decreased was the phone memory = SD card stayed the same. So my assumption is that the apps are still being saved to phone. I did a wipe so these are new installs - tried w/out wipe and got tons of force closes so just went back and wiped it.

Thanks!!

Guest Jason_2007

Is there a way to reset the SuperUser permissions? Programs that use root access like "WiFi tether" and "quick boot" are getting frozen on the SU Request screen. I fixed the problem by wiping all data and reinstalling the update.zip, but is there an esiaer way to fix the bug? Thanks

Great, thanks David.

As soon as I get feedback that this initial Beta 1 release is running OK, i'll crank up the optimisations etc.! Harder without a real device, so I have to work gradually! :)

P

Guest david279

found one thing. Quickboot wont work and if i use better terminal and input commands reboot or reboot recovery as root it gives me the output "not permited".