09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest giryan
I am backin up my data periodically within the recovery image. But now, my contacts (300+) has been screwed up. A backup/wipe/restore wont help. If i get a new sms from a friend, then it starts a new thred. I can see all my contacts, and can call them, but if i start typing a contacts name into the serach field, then it won't show any contact.

I like to understand the essence of the problem. Wipe and restore is a windowis solution to me, i don't like it. I don't say it is wrong. I just don't like it. (I'm working with un*x and linux servers)

--

thanks,

zsolt

I do see your point, but the ROMs aren't designed to be installed on a non-wiped phone, so IMHO you're just asking for trouble.

I don't see it as a windows style solution, if you were switching linux/*nix distribution you wouldn't leave the entire contents of /bin/lib/etc etc... around would you?

I think that the contacts issue is the t-mob branded one uses a completely different app for contacts storage, so I guess the tables are in a different format.

I do see your point, but the ROMs aren't designed to be installed on a non-wiped phone, so IMHO you're just asking for trouble.

I don't see it as a windows style solution, if you were switching linux/*nix distribution you wouldn't leave the entire contents of /bin/lib/etc etc... around would you?

I think that the contacts issue is the t-mob branded one uses a completely different app for contacts storage, so I guess the tables are in a different format.

Well, You are right. I didn't think of it like changing distribution, but like changing desktop environment.

The tables were a little different, only the groups were stored differently. Because of this the vanilla contacts application crashed. I removed the db file, which contained the contacts, and rebooted my phone. Now it is working.

But if I understand well, if i wipe my phone, and restore this data, then my contacts would fail anyway, right?

--

thanks,

pioo

Guest giryan
Well, You are right. I didn't think of it like changing distribution, but like changing desktop environment.

The tables were a little different, only the groups were stored differently. Because of this the vanilla contacts application crashed. I removed the db file, which contained the contacts, and rebooted my phone. Now it is working.

But if I understand well, if i wipe my phone, and restore this data, then my contacts would fail anyway, right?

--

thanks,

pioo

I've never had any issues with the contacts sync from google. I'm not sure what problems would happen doing any how else.

I've never had any issues with the contacts sync from google. I'm not sure what problems would happen doing any how else.

Sorry, i didn't make myself clear. I meant issues when change from t-mob to vanilla, and vice versa. So backup and restore contacts wont help when i change the flavor, because i replace the contacts application, which uses different database format.

Right now my phone is working fine. Vanilla is more responsive than t-mob and consumes less memory. I like it. Oh, and Modaco rules. ;)

Thanks for the help.

--

pioo

Guest Daz555
Sorry, i didn't make myself clear. I meant issues when change from t-mob to vanilla, and vice versa. So backup and restore contacts wont help when i change the flavor, because i replace the contacts application, which uses different database format.

Then again, as it is synced to Google you don't need to backup your contacts when flashing - you can just flash and then resync.

Guest Sl4yer

Hi.

Installed this ROM a few weeks ago (following constant crashing of the latest official ROM). It's a big improvement for me - much friendlier to look at, and all of the functionality I require. It's a tough learning curve for a beginner to install, but well worth it.

Thanks for all your work!

James

Guest petim

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with the vanila rom (exact problem then the original t-mobile rom)

When I want to call someone, there is a terrible lag time (2-4 sec) to open the contact list (I have only 400 contacts),

I tried to find task managers, any of them could reopen my contacts ( I mean I need my contacts to run all the time, I think that would solve my lag problem). Is it's possible somehow?

Guest al_london

Hi all,

Installed the Vanilla ROM the other day and am very happy with it!

Just a quick question about the Market:

Now that I'm running Android 1.7, should I be able to see apps in the market which run on 1.6+? They're not showing up when I search.

My Pulse is unlocked and has got an O2 pay monthly sim in it.

->Settings ->About phone shows Firmware version =1.5 and Build number=Modaco Custom Rom 1.7

Cheers,

Al

Hi all,

Installed the Vanilla ROM the other day and am very happy with it!

Just a quick question about the Market:

Now that I'm running Android 1.7, should I be able to see apps in the market which run on 1.6+? They're not showing up when I search.

My Pulse is unlocked and has got an O2 pay monthly sim in it.

->Settings ->About phone shows Firmware version =1.5 and Build number=Modaco Custom Rom 1.7

Cheers,

Al

Hi,

It is Modaco Custom Rom 1.7, and not Android 1.7. Basically it is Android 1.5.

So MCR 1.7 is running on Android 1.5.

--

hth

Then again, as it is synced to Google you don't need to backup your contacts when flashing - you can just flash and then resync.

Hi,

Thank for the reply. I understand this. Okay, contacts isn't a good example. I just told that it is unavoidable to lose some data when change from t-mob to vanilla, because t-mob replaced some applications (eg. notepad and contacts). If i wipe and resync then i lost the groups from the t-mob contacts application, because those are not syncd (at least it weren't syncd for me). And if i used the Notepad then i lose all my notes in it (because t-mob and vanilla uses different db files).

I just wanted to understand what is the difference between the two flavors, and why do i have to wipe my phone if the mcr install script starts by "formatting" /system.

--

Thanks,

pioo

Guest menno2

I try to connect through ssh (putty), i entered right ip address

and connect as root, and use password from about screen, access denied...

what am I misisng?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest giryan
Someone please provide a link to the rom!

The firstpost links are DEAD :P

I can't use my phone for 2 days now...

I've just clicked the "Main ROM download:" link and it sucessfully started to download.

Guest havfunky

HI there, since installing this custom rom i've been having some problems with my phone, notably it turns off every now and then when i'm connecting to a call. also, the screen is letting a lot of dust in and so i want to take it back to t-mobile to get the screen fixed or the unit replaced.

so my question is, how to i revert it back to how it was when i bought it? i didn't do a backup of what was on there before when i installed the custom rom.

thanks for any help.

sef.

Guest giryan
HI there, since installing this custom rom i've been having some problems with my phone, notably it turns off every now and then when i'm connecting to a call. also, the screen is letting a lot of dust in and so i want to take it back to t-mobile to get the screen fixed or the unit replaced.

so my question is, how to i revert it back to how it was when i bought it? i didn't do a backup of what was on there before when i installed the custom rom.

thanks for any help.

sef.

Just redo the December update, it will reset it back to stock.

Guest havfunky
Just redo the December update, it will reset it back to stock.

cheers. so if they take it back they won't know that i've messed about with the software?

Guest giryan
cheers. so if they take it back they won't know that i've messed about with the software?

I'm fairly sure not, well I guess theoretically they could dig deep enough and try to discover what's been previously flashed to it.

But I really doubt they'd do anything like that :P

Guest ArcticFox

I just tried this rom and im currently out of credit and for some reason when the phone is on it keeps trying to use a data connection for something, this doesnt happen in the t-mobile official rom how do i stop it trying constantly to use data connection because it keeps spamming a message saying i need to topup it makes it impossible to use the phone.

Guest ArcticFox
Check for any apps/widgits you have installed/running - ive not had this problem

I already have, i wiped the phone before flashing this rom all the widgets are the ones that are built into the rom, every time wifi is disabled or i put the phone in standby and wifi goes into standby it keeps trying to connect via a data connection, i dont have the money to top my phone up and its incredibly annoying having to press ok to about 20+ messages saying i need to top up to use data connection.

If i disable data i get an annoying icon in the top bar telling me data is off and then it wont let me use android market over wifi if background data is disabled.

This doesnt happen with the stock December update T-Mobile rom.

Is there any way of stopping this?

I dont want to have to go back to T-Mobile rom i prefer the stock android look.

Edited by ArcticFox

Guest Epic-Emodude

Hi.

I've just installed this ROM but whenever i go to the screen on the left and then try to swipe back it says "the process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Pleasee try again".

Is there a way around this or will i just have to not use the screen on the left?

Guest JingleManSweep

I've been using R6 (both with Apps2SD and without), and I'm experience loads of "force closes" and reboots. Not sure why as other users don't seem to be experiencing this many problems.

For example:

- Android Core and Voice Search crash on every startup (including first)

- Setup Wizard crashes and restarts (although it does remember my Google login)

- Everytime I unlock the phone, I get an "Android Core" and "Voice Search" force close

- The phone reboots every 5 to 20 minutes

- Random force closes involving "Dictionary", "Input Methods"

When I installed (both Apps2SD and without) ROMS, I use the following process:

- Reboot into recovery

- Perform Nandroid Backup

- Enable USB Mode

- Copy Nandroid backup to PC

- Wipe System (Factory Reset)

- Wipe Dalvik Cache

- Wipe SD:EXT

- Partition ("0 Swap, 0 EXT2, Remaining FAT" for Non Apps2SD version, "0 Swap, 512 EXT2, Remaining FAT" for Apps2SD version

- Enable USB Mode

- Copy ROM image to SD FAT partition via USB

- Flash ROM

- Using ADB, create the SD mount point (optional step if using Apps2SD)

- Reboot using recovery mode "Reboot" option

Apart from random reboots (when phone is idle, e.g. no user input), I experience reboots when performing the following operations:

- Immediately after voice input returns the processed text from their servers

- After reading an email (not Gmail, but IMAP configured email account)

- Occasionally after unlocking the phone after it has been asleep

I've had more stability with the Non Apps2SD version. I have not installed any other applications (from the market or unknown sources).

I understand this is a beta version, so not a complaint, but thought I'd share my experiences so far.

Cheers,

Louis

Guest JingleManSweep

UPDATE: I just unlocked my phone and went to drag down the notification bar, and the entire phone froze for a few seconds, then restarted.

This is weird as I installed R6 last night, and the phone seemed quite usable for some time. So much so, that I recommended upgrading to 2.1 to my work colleague, but for the last few hours it has become very unstable, and I haven't changed anything since last night.

Guest escudo

Hey guys,

I have this strange 'Problem'.

Installed the rom on my Pulse, after having the December update installed.

Now the lock screen, is the same as on the pulse (the slide upwards thing). That's not really a problem.... what is the problem:

The background of that lockscreen is unchangable....thus it does not change according to the normal background I install.

Anyone had this same problem?

Before i installed, i wiped the phone, so this shouldn't be the problem, right?

Thanks in advance!