TG01 SDDL Plus - install ROM in any language

Guest stepw

Check updates at the end of this post first...

-- obsolete --

MoDaCo's TG01 forum seems to be one of the busiest around, so I figured it would make most sense to make a post here instead of xda-developers forum that I mostly hang out at.

Attached is a custom SD Downloader for Toshiba TG01 that allows flashing any official Toshiba ROMs to localized units. You can now install a ROM with your preferred language (but bear in mind it will come with appropriate customizations specific to the country and services provider the ROM was designed for).

It's fairly straightforward to use - extract an official ROM upgrade package of your choice to the storage card, then run tg01_sddl+.exe instead of tg01_sddl.exe to install it.

This software comes as is and with no warranty whatsoever, use it at YOUR OWN RISK! Installing a ROM that was not intended for your device will most certainly void your manufacturer's warranty, so think twice before you do. Your device may be damaged and it won't be possible to repair it if ROM upgrade fails for any reason (I'm talking bricks). I take absolutely no responsibility for any damage this software may inflict. I also don't commit to provide any kind of support or updates for it.

TG01 SDDL Plus has been tested on my German O2 TG01 and I successfully updated it to English and Italian ROMs available from Toshiba's web-site. TG01 SDDL Plus does NOT perform any modifications/patching of official Toshiba ROM images. If there's any concern about this software, I'd be happy to remove it from this forum and stop its distribution. It was created for educational purposes and I decided to make it publicly available due to a popular demand from TG01 enthusiasts.

That's it for now, I hope you enjoy it and put your TG01 to good use with the language you want it to have :D

Update 27/12/2009

A new version of TG01_SDDL+ is attached. It supports T-01A SDDL now, however European ROMs can not be flashed to Japanese devices in their original format (.tsw). Neither can Japanese ROMs be flashed to European devices in their format (.tsd).

TG01/T-01A ROMs in .enc format can be installed to any unit (Japanese or European) with this updated version. Once images in this format become available, it will be possible to flash T-01A with European ROMs.

Update 05/01/2010

Due to the issues multiple people have reported with flashing foreign ROMs on recently bought devices, I'm withdrawing TG01_SDDL+ until this is sorted out. If it's not sorted out, SDDL+ will not be available anymore...

-- obsolete --

Update 28/01/2010

Now that entering SD download mode via shorting pins became public, SDDL+ is obsolete. I encourage anyone willing to flash TG01 ROMs to use pin shorting to enter SD download mode, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=325

You need to rename your .tsw to .enc to circumvent operator/country check.

Edited by stepw

Guest LeSScro

Cool release buddy !

it's a part of Custom ROM way... Now we need decrypt *tsw file...

i hope some other TG01 enthusiast work like U, in fact it s a good first step...

thx to share it !

I have tested it on my T-01A (Japanese version) but it doesn't work! Please tell me how to do??

Can you make a dump of Japanese ROM?

Thanks stepw this is really cool :D

one question... lets say you have english 6.5 rom on it can you flash 6.5 italian rom ?

You can, see my original post, I did just that for testing on my TG01. And, you can reflash it again to English too.

It's working on my Spanish TG01 of Movistar, I've succefull installed the Orange UK ROM. GREAT JOB MAN! The next step is the rom decryptation and then, the kitchen and we will have custom roms like every other windows mobile phone!

PD: I can't acces to the marketplace or my phone service, any clue why is it happening?

Edited by Arag0n

It's working on my Spanish TG01 of Movistar, I've succefull installed the Orange UK ROM. GREAT JOB MAN! The next step is the rom decryptation and then, the kitchen and we will have custom roms like every other windows mobile phone!

PD: I can't acces to the marketplace or my phone service, any clue why is it happening?

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know why marketplace won't work, there are many possible reasons... But I'd tend to exclude ROM compatibility as one of them.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know why marketplace won't work, there are many possible reasons... But I'd tend to exclude ROM compatibility as one of them.

Excelent job mate, everybody will appreciate that, I have been with the spanish version since I got the phone now I was able to install the english one, really good one,

cheers,

Hlov

Guest thor2002ro
Can you make a dump of Japanese ROM?

You can, see my original post, I did just that for testing on my TG01. And, you can reflash it again to English too.

Thank you for the answer and good work with hacking the downloader :D

Guest action5
MoDaCo's TG01 forum seems to be one of the busiest around, so I figured it would make most sense to make a post here instead of xda-developers forum that I mostly hang out at.

Attached is a custom SD Downloader for Toshiba TG01 that allows flashing any official Toshiba ROMs to localized units.

How you know... on our (russian) forum. We cant say "thank you" in the post. Only click ("thanks" buttons)

But now. I may say THANK YOU very very many time =)))))

Спасибо за твой турд!!! =)))

Guest thor2002ro

how i fixed marketplace:

installed marketplace cab from M$ site

reboot

installed .net framework 3.7 from M$ site

reboot

then when starting marketplace i was prompted to download an cab and install ... after its instalation marketplace is up and running :D

hope i helped :(

Guest Daro.UK

Any changes for any links for firmware? Cant find any debranded English one.

Toshiba website asking for IMEI, when I put mine Ive got Orange branded one.

I tried with my t01a and didns't work too ;)

Sorry Rogerkk, T-01A seems to work a bit differently. We tried a few things with MinhAnh and made some progress, but T-01A still doesn't accept non-Japanese ROMs at this point. If I manage to find a fix, I'll post an updated version. Chances are it will happen once a WM 6.5 update is released for T-01A though.

How you know... on our (russian) forum. We cant say "thank you" in the post. Only click ("thanks" buttons)

But now. I may say THANK YOU very very many time =)))))

Спасибо за твой турд!!! =)))

Welcome.

how i fixed marketplace:

installed marketplace cab from M$ site

reboot

installed .net framework 3.7 from M$ site

reboot

then when starting marketplace i was prompted to download an cab and install ... after its instalation marketplace is up and running :D

hope i helped :(

Thanks for sharing, someone else might find it useful too.

AFAIK there's no unbranded English ROM available. You have to use Orange UK ROM if you want English. Operator customizations are installed when you start your new ROM for the first time. On HTC devices you could soft-reset once it shows the customization window (Auto CAB Install) and it won't try it again, but on Toshiba it will retry again on next reboot. Maybe it will not keep retrying indefinitely, but I haven't checked that...

After ROM is installed or a hard reset is performed, when the phone is at the screen calibration prompt, you can connect via ActiveSync and disable installation of some branding options in the registry.

The list of branding cabs can be found under HKLM\Software\Toshiba\AutoCabInstall, HKLM\Software\Toshiba\CommSetup, HKLM\Software\Toshiba\CertSetup. Remove any entries you don't want to install and then proceed with screen calibration, etc... You can manually install branding cabs later on.

There are certain things that you can't get rid of this way (Orange boot screens) and removing some of the items in the registry may cause other issues, so it may take a few hard resets before you reach perfection.

Guest Daro.UK
After ROM is installed or a hard reset is performed, when the phone is at the screen calibration prompt, you can connect via ActiveSync and disable installation of some branding options in the registry.

The list of branding cabs can be found under HKLM\Software\Toshiba\AutoCabInstall, HKLM\Software\Toshiba\CommSetup, HKLM\Software\Toshiba\CertSetup. Remove any entries you don't want to install and then proceed with screen calibration, etc... You can manually install branding cabs later on.

There are certain things that you can't get rid of this way (Orange boot screens) and removing some of the items in the registry may cause other issues, so it may take a few hard resets before you reach perfection.

If there are no debranded version of TG01 and only way to get it is with contract (in UK were more expensive than iPhone one), this phone wont be to popular. Too bad for us :D

Guest Medved77
If there are no debranded version of TG01 and only way to get it is with contract (in UK were more expensive than iPhone one), this phone wont be to popular. Too bad for us :D

Can anyone confirm if there is the option to change language within the Italian ROM? Then we could all install this debranded ROM. The ROM's issued by the carriers only have 1 language available but wondered if this option is available in a generic ROM.

Guest peputinho

works for me too ( spanish "vomistar" ) thanks a lot !!!!

pd: how can i access to registry after hard-reset and disable automatic cabs installation?

Guest Daro.UK
Can anyone confirm if there is the option to change language within the Italian ROM? Then we could all install this debranded ROM. The ROM's issued by the carriers only have 1 language available but wondered if this option is available in a generic ROM.

As stepw said there are no debranded (generic). In that case there only "Orange" roms (from different countries) are available, so if you want english language you have to download rom from Orange UK, etc.

If you can find any debranded phone (from new) all you need is its IMEI. Then you can download debranded rom from Toshiba website.

As stepw said there are no debranded (generic). In that case there only "Orange" roms (from different countries) are available, so if you want english language you have to download rom from Orange UK, etc.

If you can find any debranded phone (from new) all you need is its IMEI. Then you can download debranded rom from Toshiba website.

The Italian ROM is debranded and install SPB Shell at startup instead of the Orange stuff, but you cannot choose another language.

Guest Medved77
The Italian ROM is debranded and install SPB Shell at startup instead of the Orange stuff, but you cannot choose another language.

Thanks for confirming gmx333

Guest action5

There are certain things that you can't get rid of this way (Orange boot screens) and removing some of the items in the registry may cause other issues, so it may take a few hard resets before you reach perfection.

After hard reset on the calibration screen. connect device to PC open via activesync.

Just put into \windows folder empty file wceload.exe and calibrate your device.

It work for me. Thank to Cotulla. :-D