Milestone rooting effort

Guest PaulOBrien

Right, I understand the Droid root doesn't work on the Milestone... let's collect all our thoughts / findings on the Milestone root process and see if we can get it licked!

P

Guest SeraphimSerapis
Right, I understand the Droid root doesn't work on the Milestone... let's collect all our thoughts / findings on the Milestone root process and see if we can get it licked!

P

Hello Paul

as far as I did unterstand, the is getting rooted by applying a update.zip with a specific size.

There is a bug in 2.0 that allows to patch this update, without checking the signature.

So they integrated the exploit in the verifier.c and added some signatures to it and patched the droid.

In this forum is a good description: http://alldroid.org/viewforum.php?f=210

The problem is - we can't use the root update, because it is for the american firmware.

What we need is a milestone firmware.

But: We should not patch the next update - Google fixed the exploit already https://review.source.android.com/#change,12807

We will have to stay on 2.0 - get the update.zip from elsewhere and patch it with the root-files.

Regards, Tim

It seems as though to root the Milestone we need to get hold of an update file for the Milestone (as opposed to the Droid)... we might need to wait until the 2.0.1 update ships!

P

Guest bluemoko
Can anyone get into recovery by holding X and turning on? Doesn't seem to work for me!

P

Camera + Power, the same combi as G1

(still havn't try the X+power thing since my phone will arrive on christmas's eve)

Guest SeraphimSerapis
Scratch that, got the menu by pressing vol-up and camera when in recovery. ;)

Hmmm, indeed, the Droid root method doesn't work! ;)

P

You didn't believe me, huh? ;)

We have to get the update for european milestones and change the files

Guest Michael Perry
No source of it yet! :)

P

Rumor has it that some folks have already gotten OTA updates for the Milestone. The motorola milestone support forum has stated this. My milestone still fails to connect and most of the folks believe it will be end of December or so and others have speculated that it may vary by geography. There is one thing we all know. The one thing is we have no real idea when the update will come out :-)

Guest janjan2
Rumor has it that some folks have already gotten OTA updates for the Milestone. The motorola milestone support forum has stated this. My milestone still fails to connect and most of the folks believe it will be end of December or so and others have speculated that it may vary by geography. There is one thing we all know. The one thing is we have no real idea when the update will come out :-)

According to some people from Germany, there will be an update in the end of january OR in the beginning of feb. Very late. we need to root this bad boy.

Just splashed out on one of these from Simple Electronics at £439 delivered so will do what I can to test out any rooting procedures, though not literate enough to actually root it myself.

Dayzeee - PS Anyone wanna buy my Hero and My google ion to reimburse santa? LOL

Guest SeraphimSerapis
According to some people from Germany, there will be an update in the end of january OR in the beginning of feb. Very late. we need to root this bad boy.

Thats not correct :)

I mailed the support and they answered me, that they will release the update in the first january weeks.

Some rumours got popular, that spain got the first milestone updates, but I can't find any evidence for that.

I just need to get one file, to try out my first root-attempt, but it's in the update..

Perhaps Paul want's to have a look?

Guest SeraphimSerapis
ok nice to hear in the first january weeks ...yes perhaps paul want´s to have a look. :)

I sent him a message ;) I also contacted Zinx Verituse from Alldroid.org - he's the one who rooted the droid.

He pointet out, that we should be carefull with creating a new update File.

Regards,

Tim

Guest SeraphimSerapis
One the update arrives, we can check it out!

I also wanna look at the Cliq root and see if it's helpful...

P

we could try it the cliq way - but we need a milestone boot.img for that.. and we don't have one as far as i know.

androidianicom in the irc told me that the milestone is rsd_lite compatible..

we could try it the cliq way - but we need a milestone boot.img for that.. and we don't have one as far as i know.

androidianicom in the irc told me that the milestone is rsd_lite compatible..

Maybe its the same boot.img as droid.