What makes you stick with Windows Mobile?

Guest vinaymanro

Guest vinaymanro
thumb_22-Dec-2009_why.jpg

There are hardcore Apple iphone fanboys (and girls), those that live by Symbian, Blackberry addicts, a new mixed crowd following Android, and of course those that would die without their Windows Mobile...

Lately Windows Mobile has taken quite a bashing from other Mobile OS's and in some respects is lacking in some areas.
HTC who were dedicated to Windows Mobile, are now sharing that space with Android.

1) The question is why? Why do you stick with Windows Mobile?
2) What feature(s) make you stick with Windows Mobile?
3) What deters you from other Mobile OS devices?

Guest richard_d

I might try Android at some point in the future, I'm not particularly loyal :)

QAt the moment though, Android offers no real advantages to me - I can do everything I want to with WinMo, and it has the advantage of easy syncing with Outlook and full compatability with Office, without going through various kludges or hunting round for semi-decent replacement software. That and the fact that the HD2 is probably the best current phone on the marketplace and it happens to run WM. ;)

Guest enderkaptan

There are hardcore Apple iphone fanboys (and girls), those that live by Symbian, Blackberry addicts, a new mixed crowd following Android, and of course those that would die without their Windows Mobile...

Lately Windows Mobile has taken quite a bashing from other Mobile OS's and in some respects is lacking in some areas.

HTC who were dedicated to Windows Mobile, are now sharing that space with Android.

bro i think iphone are really good toys and very fun to have one, android will be better quickly as newborn os. i think google will be the biggest opponent to MS. maybe i will give a chance to android 1,5 or 2 years. and the last but not the least ppc are oldest and more professional than others. and damn we love unstable codes thats what microsoft make us getting used to it since the first windows for desktop they coded. sorry for bad english.

Guest rzanology

the ability to have multiple UIs. I am not stuck to on UI. If i wake up today and feel diffrent about Sense UI, then i'll uncheck it and run Default titanium. If i dont feel like looking at a zune then i'll install spb. If i dont feel like looking at android then i'll use regular ol function today screen where i can see everything at once glance.

hardware. winmo phones always had the best hardware and features to boot. its still like that today and i enjoy cutting edge.

Freedom of choise with core apps. Dont like IE? use opera. Dont like opera? use skyfire...and on and and on and on....

PIM! till this day no one matching windows mobile when it comes to PIM. Hand down, no need to even get into that.

Pocket outlook. say what you will, but pocket outlook is a champ and is second to none. the mail experence on windows phones are as good as it gets. no matter what the blackberry users say...send them a 6mb pic and see what happens to their beloved messaging phone.

COOKED ROMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your phone will never feel old no matter how old it gets. It is such a joy to read about all the new stuff and then have it on your phone the next day. All the little features that companines impliment and charge you for with the next version of the phone, you can have in minutes.

windows mobile is prime realestate baby!!!! no matter what they say! 10 year old windows CE is still kicking ass!

Why do I still have a Windows Mobile phone? Because I'm waiting for AT&T to get an Android phone I like. I can't wait to get off the buggy, crashy, freezing Windows Mobile hell that I'm on now. My HTC Advantage is great when it's doing what it's capable of, but there's far less of that and far more of the bad stuff lately.

Guest nickbarber48

1) The reason why i will NEVER go to another mobile OS is that you can do so much with WinMo, change the rom when ever you please, multiple UI's, those magnificent shells HTC and Samsung make, and great business apps (because lets be honest, apps for iphone are toys, not serious business apps) and i can multitask on my i900.

I wouldn't trade WinMo for anything.

2) read above

3) People buy iphones as fashion accessories, because every teen and tween has one, Android seems good, but why fix something if it aint broken? WinMo works just fine for me, Symbian has had its day to be honest, the N97 is piece of crap.

Edited by nickbarber48

Guest andybarker

I've used WM phones for several years, and am used to the way they work. They do exactly what I need (make calls, handle SMS and Sync with Exchange easily), and do plenty of things that are handy (play music, do a little surfing to check the trains).

If a good alternative came along, and gave me something that I really felt I needed then I would swap. All the alternatives have their positives and negatives just as much as WM has. If I was coming to smart phones today, I'd look around and see which I liked the most and probably stick with it unless something else seemed worthwhile moving to.

So to answer your specific questions:

1. It works well enough for me, and I am familiar with it

2. Familiarity and good exchange sync mostly

3. Familiarity with WM - no reason to change

Guest zero_divide_1

These are very good questions, but when I first jumped into Windows Mobile 5 when the Qtek 9100 (HTC Wizard) first came out (and for a very short time before that, WinMo 2003 with the Qtek 9090), it was the most useful mobile OS out there. The sheer volume of programs and the new cutting-edge consumer hardware that was built into the devices was what had me drawn to it year-after-year. But, for me, the winning "feature" was the fact that it shared a common architecture with desktop Windows programs, thus making the programming of it easier for me.

I'm not particularly disgusted by the other devices, except in the case of the iPhone, which I remember prophesizing that it would inevitably fail, not because of the device but because of Apple. Android has real potential, and I may be switching to it at some point in the future (if the HD2 ever gets Android with US 3G on at least AT&T), but for now, WinMo presents the most familiar environment for me and I already have a lot of money invested in the devices that run that OS.

Guest Sonicr360

I thought that seeing as I have been using Windows CE (Back in 1998) and the Win 6.1, I would answer the questions the originator posted...

A: Sadly, I will not be. I for one used to say "I would never touch any other Mobile phone (iPhone, Android, Nokia) but I for one simply see that Microsoft are still releasing the same old rubbish, and reliant on makers like HTC / SPB to come up with their own UI to overcome what is now a very stale OS!

A: Well seeing as I use it for Email, it will not make me stick. At the time, I like the features of office, active sync and RDP, but seeing as most of this can be replicated on an iPhone which really is a device that is so so much better, it makes me want to jump ship. I am waiting for iPhone to come to Vodafone now and see what pricing will be available. In fact I just saw BBC announced a date of 14th Jan :)

A: I simply feel that MS are letting the userbase down. I mean, their Marketplace is comple shite! Its naff! When you see iPhone apps are at 100,000 (ok most wont be great, but boy WHAT A SELECTION, and the costs are peanuts!!! Oh almost forgot.... cannot install APPS on the MEMORY card when downloading cr4p from Market Place! Yeah... nice one MS!

Android in itself, is really coming on, and showing that MS is not the dominant player in this market now.

Working with Developers on Apple and Google devices, it truly is amazing that these devices are so good and the potential can only get better.

Some of the games on iphone really are amazing. Now THAT IS cutting edge technology if you can play Call of Duty: Zombies on a phone!!! Do not take my word for it. Try it for yourself if you can, or check out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtn7lkJWkEE

Also, this sort of game (Nova) on an iPhone looks pretty good http://www.youtube.com/user/appvee#p/u/0/cbUVpApFS7k

There are also some well decent productivity tools like QuickOffice that seems to offer MORE than the standard WM device offers. Come on MS, you should be investing MORE into your own APPS, not just rely on 3rd party products!!

Cutting edge technology is good, but should not be the whole reason for purchasing a WM device. The trouble has been that WM OS seems to have flaws, and I recall the time that you had great hardware, but limited by the OS. Tweaks could be applied to enhance the experience. I think the HTC Wizard was one such device.

XDA and their ROMS are probably the answer to this. So that would certainly help ;)

It is easy to slate other make and models of phones out there, but when you actually see and use the devices out there (not just for a few mins or hours, but days), you start to feel like you have been ripped off a bit !

MS are simply not (in my view) the leader in WM phones. Reminds me of stale bread or old lumpy porridge.

I for one will not be upgrading to the latest WM 7 device(s). For me a device like iPhone or Android must:

1) Be productive

2) Communicate with people using the standard phone feature - 6.1 Tytn II was cutting edge in its time, but making a call is just annoying now. Even using the dialpad is slllllooooow! Although I do know you can use contactsl to dial a number B) but when you have to dial a number that is new to you or not in contacts, the touchscreen pad does not keep up!

3) Touchscreen on WM devices is no good, and certainly compared to iPhone and Android devices, well they are 30 x better. MUCH better.

4) Able to obtain productivity tools from a store or online. WM has a good selection though.

5) UI does NOT interest me. I would not buy a phone "just coz" I can get great interfaces and look cool.

6) A Web Browser on a phone that should WORK. Pocket IE has had ENOUGH TIME to get it right.... But no...... lets rely on 3rd party products. Google and iPhone can do it, so why cant you microsoft???

7) Ease of use - finger touch now, rather than stylus! They are simply annoying. Again, those not used the iPhone keypad.... its pretty good. I like it, but again it is not the single point for me to get the phone, but a nice to have working feature that works. Finger touch and scroll is pretty good on the iPhone too!

8) In time, the technology of the phone will change. And yes, it will feel old. TYTN II was good in its day, but now it does feel heavy and bulky. Shame.

9) HD2 is probably the better looking WM device out there. But HTC are to be thanked for that!

10) HTC need to focus on Android - It seems clear their Chief Exec is not happy with MS, and diverting some of their hardware to Android has to be a GOOD THING!

This site has focused on WM - Unless MS get their act together, they could end up losing out. And in my view, they are not the leader anymore in the OS Phone Platform stakes.

At the end of the day, this sort of thread will end up with 2 camps (One that are die hard WM Fans and the other side that are simply looking for a device that fits all, works, does not stall, lock, hang, buggy and still does rely on a stylus (unless you are using a 3rd party UI to get around this). Maybe a Blackberry is the answer B)

Am I slating WM - YES! For very good reason, that a company like GOOGLE and APPLE can come into the market within a few years and show MICROSOFT just had to make an OS work on a Phone.

I am happy to look at alternatives - and I am lucky to work in an environment where I get exposure to alot :o

Guest arirang

why i DON'T go to other makes/OS?

blackberry: BIS=dependent on RIM to handle my email accounts--remember recent nationwide outages?

android: the OS is ALREADY fragmented! 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1

iphone: non-removable battery and storage, itunes' various hi-jinks to shackle your media to it. constant finger pointing and shenanigan between it and AT&T.

palm: like MS, late in the game BUT lacks MS humongous R&D cash pile to catch-up, build momentum, and remain viable long term.

Edited by arirang

At the end of the day, this sort of thread will end up with 2 camps (One that are die hard WM Fans and the other side that are simply looking for a device that fits all, works, does not stall, lock, hang, buggy and still does rely on a stylus (unless you are using a 3rd party UI to get around this).

I agree completely, I love the capabilities of WinMo but am sick of having to troubleshoot it as much as I use it. At this point I'd almost rather have just a normal featurephone.

Guest Sonicr360
I agree completely, I love the capabilities of WinMo but am sick of having to troubleshoot it as much as I use it. At this point I'd almost rather have just a normal featurephone.

I agree, which is why when I really need it, I rely on my trusty D500 Mobile. Simplez :)

Guest biggiesmalls

1) It's the only OS (along with desktop/server versions of Window) who's API i know inside out, i've been using it for years.

2) Both as a developer and user: The freedom you have to modify and install just about anything.

3) As a user: nothing really, Android based phones look awesome though. As a developer: I'm not really into managed programming languages, Android has very limited support for applications written in C++.

Guest Syphon Filter

Because Paul hasn't ported CamerAware to Android

*grumble grumble grumble*

In all seriousness, iPhone seems like a toy compared to WinMo...the walled garden of Apple does not appeal to me. Android, I like the look it a lot, it promises so much, even the app store is order of magnitude more populated than the WinMo Marketplace BUT I have serious concerns about Google and privacy. Google are great, their apps/software are great...I mean REALLY great, considering it's mostly (all?) free? But what information is being collected along the way? I dunno, maybe I am too much of a cynic/am a bit paranoid but I have grave concerns about Googles privacy policy.

Guest thescope

It's simple, only WinMo alows me to: Skype + Email/Facebook + MP3 + GPS + Web Browser all at the same time..

Android is getting closer but is still laking Software and features that WinMo has.

My next phone will be 50% Android 50% WinMo, unless WinMo 7 will be out.

Iphone, Symbian and Blackberry are limited while Symbian is the stronger player and is the only

OS that can stand up to the Iphone in terms of gaming.

Edited by thescope

Guest Syphon Filter
It's simple, only WinMo alows me to: Skype + Email/Facebook + MP3 + GPS + Web Browser all at the same time..

Android is getting closer but is still laking Software and features that WinMo has.

Name one device that lets you do all of the above at the same time while remaining usable (i.e. not slowing to a crawl).

Possibly the HD2 with it's 1GHz Snapdragdon but I have no first hand experience and wouldn't hold my breath!! Even my Touch Pro (or even the Touch Pro 2 which has the same processor) would struggle, hell...panning an Opera page on my Touch Pro can sometimes be an uphill struggle!

Company uses Lotus Notes and supports only Lotus Notes Traveler for over the air push mail (windows mobile only), although with Domino 8.5.1 IBM/Lotus support exchange activesync push e-Mail (not sure which platform other than iPhone is supported yet) and it's not implemented yet in my company... so I'm stuck with winmo!

Nothing - hateful operating system - sorry to all the fans, I fully understand the flexibility, but I just upgraded to 6.5 on an OMNIA II (can't move off a stock ROM otherwise my device wouldn't meet corporate guidelines and I'd have my access removed) and it's pants, can't event surf the web and have the radio on, without it running out of memory and closing the radio, ok it may be a bad Samsung implementation, but seriously!

Can't get my push e-Mail/Calendar see point 1

Did that help...?

Edited by wraggy

Guest Sonicr360
Name one device that lets you do all of the above at the same time while remaining usable (i.e. not slowing to a crawl).

Possibly the HD2 with it's 1GHz Snapdragdon but I have no first hand experience and wouldn't hold my breath!! Even my Touch Pro (or even the Touch Pro 2 which has the same processor) would struggle, hell...panning an Opera page on my Touch Pro can sometimes be an uphill struggle!

Doesnt the iPhone unlocked allow this same functionality?

Also no matter how much you have open, you may not have it all in use at one go, but running as a background task.

Like most devices, slowdown will happen.

But of course, you can use EVERYTHING and keep it open ... providing you are near a mains socket or car charger :)

Guest cold_fire

1) A lot of applications, similar to windows PC/laptop

2) E-mail client, possibility of opening/editing office files

3) Haven't used any, lack of applications like Win MO

Guest Sonicr360
1) A lot of applications, similar to windows PC/laptop

2) E-mail client, possibility of opening/editing office files

3) Haven't used any, lack of applications like Win MO

What do you mean lack of applications like Win MO ?

WM has a few out there. Of course nothing near the 100k apps like iPhone!

Guest Sonicr360
Because Paul hasn't ported CamerAware to Android

*grumble grumble grumble*

In all seriousness, iPhone seems like a toy compared to WinMo...the walled garden of Apple does not appeal to me. Android, I like the look it a lot, it promises so much, even the app store is order of magnitude more populated than the WinMo Marketplace BUT I have serious concerns about Google and privacy. Google are great, their apps/software are great...I mean REALLY great, considering it's mostly (all?) free? But what information is being collected along the way? I dunno, maybe I am too much of a cynic/am a bit paranoid but I have grave concerns about Googles privacy policy.

Yes you are a cynic :)

iPhone is more like a pocket computer - in terms of what I have seen. Awesome device. But not suited for all!

Likewise Android may not suit everyone, but as I mentioned beofre, you gotta try them out !

Guest Syphon Filter
Yes you are a cynic B)

iPhone is more like a pocket computer - in terms of what I have seen. Awesome device. But not suited for all!

Likewise Android may not suit everyone, but as I mentioned beofre, you gotta try them out !

I know, 28 and a cynic!! My wife hates me for it!!

Does no one else worry about the data Google collects? As I said, if CamerAware was available for Android I would probably have ordered a Motorola Milestone today instead of an HD2!!! But alas, I am confined to WinMo because of our great and powerful leader Paul O'Brien :) Anyone would think he has shares in MSFT ;)

j/k Paul.

But seriously, that's about it. My favourite satnav (CoPilot) is available for Android, the marketplace is amazing (though not as vast as Apple's yet) and the whole OS feels really "fresh". But it's a little young and I think given some time to mature it will really come into it's own.

I have been a WinMo diehard since the days of the original Orange SPV then the E200, C500 and then I went over to the larger PPC style devices; Wizard, Hermes, Kaiser, Raphael and now Leo (well, hopefully tomorrow if the postie can fight through the snow!!).

Got a weird feeling though, if WM7 isn't the game-changer that I am hoping it will be I might have to ditch WinMo. I might keep a legacy device just for CamerAware (if Paul still has not ported it). In this even, I think Android will be my next choice.

Guest forelli

First of all because of the customisation possibilities, the interoperability with Windows systems (Office, XP, Vista etc.), because the logic is the same (I know, same company) and, well, because I'm addicted now :) .

forelli

Guest agent.m

To answer the 3 questions. I got a ipod touch and love it to bits stopped me getting the iphone. So my Diamond 2 is mainly a phone and a web browser when im at work. The fact that my Diamond 2 has the potential to emulate android stopped me from getting a G2 at the last minute. Loyalty to the brand and the business features were the main reasons I have stayed since having my Orange SPV :)

However!! Im tempted to exchange my diamond 2 for the HTC Hero and make my judgement on whether to get another windows device when windows 7 comes out by then i'll be due an upgrade. Why do I say this?? Android and iphone are starting to catchup with the killer business features of win mo aka office. I could explain why i feel iphone and android are catching up and the reason why i stayed with winmo for so long. But i'll save it for another time unless you really wanna know lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.