What makes you stick with Windows Mobile?

Guest vinaymanro

Guest smokiedabong

Good question , I love WinMo , I love to fight with my devices and hack them , WinMo is a familiar OS and it offers me a lot of freedom , it has more features than any other OS , an excellent community and strangely I like to use a stylus . Yesterday after seeing this topic and give it a thought , thinking about what makes me stick with WinMo I decided to jump the ship to Android . Droid is missing a lot of stuff , but after waiting 6 months for Omnia 2 , thinking that the 800Mhz processor and WinMo 6.5 will be better , the constant freezing , battery pulling , and lack of interest from Microsoft got me tired and i was seduced by the Droid , its speed and support . Hope that Microsoft will spend some time into developing WinMo7 so I can use it again .

Guest DunKnow

Why?

The fun comes when you can customize your device in almost any direction you would want. Flexible, unlike the iphone.

One thing i hate about Windows Mobile:

They do not want to make the operating system to support 256 colour or million colours. The banding of the colours looks disgusting.

My next phone might be Android due to the upcoming AMOLED screens and the support of 256k colour with the huge screen and a powerful processor. The richness of the colour cannot be put down.

Edited by DunKnow

Guest SteveEdson

1) The question is why? Why do you stick with Windows Mobile?

First got my Omnia, love it, iGO8, Opera etc, vpn connection for when im at uni

2) What feature(s) make you stick with Windows Mobile?

Starting to wonder now, after seeing the new marketplace after i updated my omnia to 6.5, it doesnt look good.

3) What deters you from other Mobile OS devices?

really considering andrioid now, with htc sense, i hear the hero 2 is out around february. Its gonna be that or the HTC HD2 i reckon

Guest balendra68

I like WM because it can run efficiently on even a comparatively low end system, because the quality of applications available with WM is'nt matched by either i-phone or Android and because I find the Stylus useful not only for drawing/paint applications but I feel that typing with it on the on-screen keyboard is faster and easierthan even a hardware keyboard. 

I also find the multi-tabs in say SPB pocket plus far more convenient than a memory hogging widget based interface like android or having to scroll through numerous pages to go to a particular application like in iphone.In fact I like SPB pocket plus more than their Mobile shell because using it's 7 tabs I can get access to 7x6x6=252, reasonably sized icons of various applications/settings, in just one tap, from a single line on the today screen.Tell me which widget based interface including WM ones like PointUI & Mobile shell, let alone the iphone or android, give me this functionality.

I am presently using an HTC P3400i phone, which has a 200MHZ processor and 64MB of RAM and I am fully satisfied with it's performance.I have all the applications I need which can do much more than the iphone or the android systems. I have both SPB pocket plus & mobile shell installed(Which I keep off but turn it on when i-phone chaps try to show off) along with Resco keyboard, Ftouch flo for Kinetic Scrolling, Houming file explorer extension, Wktask ,MSS Converter,My calculator, HNH Soft English dictionary, Agenda One, Today agenda,a text to speech software,Resco Explorer & Photoviewer, pocket RAR, Adobe reader, Flash 7 ,Nitrogen, iContact e.t.c. not to say pocket Word, Excel and 25 odd games including the likes of "machines at war" from Isotope.

I have a simple question can the Android or Iphone OS run as efficiently on a cheap phone like mine and give me the same level of functionality if so then I am an immediate convert otherwise I'll wait for them to become more mature.

P.S.: If you think the ability to run on low end devices is not important then go check which are the devices that sell the most.Symbian is the most popular OS in the World not because it is most advanced but due to the fact that it can run on even the most low end device.

Have been on Windows Mobile since the orignal E100s from orange came out and just used to it tbh. There is no reason to go away from it until someone offers something that WinMo will never have, Android may do this eventually but at the moment no reason to jump.

Being able to customise it to what I want on the mobile and keep off what I don't want.

Certainly from a certain Apple product is that you can do most the things you have to pay for on that for free on a Windows Mobile phone.

Guest mikeeey

Well, besides my motorola phones and proprietary phone OS's, Windows Mobile was my first BIG OS I've ever used. It started years back when I got a t-mobile sda smartphone. Then I upgraded to an AT&T Tilt (Kaiser). But after the Kaiser's lack of drivers, it made me switch to Nokia Symbian 60v3. I currently use a nokia n82. I also bought an Apple iPod touch. Some of you may remember my hate for apple, but I've jailbroken it and use it fun (lol). I can do multitasking, backgrounding, file browsing, all the things a normal iPod/iPhone wouldn't let you do. Hackers make iPod/iPhone's great, but apple restricts us from this.

anyway back on topic.. I've switched to S60v3 (symbian) because right now it's faster than windows mobile on a crappy qualcomm CPU. Nokia's hardware is far superior to the windows mobile phones currently out with now. I'm just sticking with what is best until Windows Mobile (HTC phones) catch back up again.

I always will love windows mobile tho. There are so many developers, and it's always fun to flash custom roms. Symbian can't even come close to the amount of developers. iPod/iPhone just has lots of apps, they're just fun to install and play around with, but none of it's as serious as Windows Mobile.

Here's what sums it all up.. if speed wasn't an issue (let's imagine all OS's ran at the speed of the iphone), I'd much prefer windows mobile, there are so many more features.

I'm simply just taking a break from Windows Mobile right now, thats all.

The great forums related to it.. xda-developers, modaco.

So many hackers/developers making great apps.

Custom roms!!!!

I'm more familiar with every part of Windows Mobile than any other OS.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest aussiebum

The great forums avaliable for Windows Mobile, and the community that continually make Windows Mobile just that little bit better, faster and more enjoyable to use. Plus the flexibility of the software and being able to do whatever I want with it... although Android is beginning to look really tempting!

Custom roms, free kick-ass software, the ability to use whatever browser / keyboard / shell I like and generally customise the hell out of my phone experience, and not just what's mandated.

Probably the lack of good handsets that have my requirements (atm).

Don't like the restrictions the iPhone has, or the (now) outdated low-res display, shite battery life and general OS layout.

Symbian is just crap and even further behind on the user-friendliness than WinMo, although historically more stable and better at multitasking.

Android is really tempting, but the lack of "super" handsets puts me off, though the release of the Motorola DROID / MileStone and the upcoming Xperia X10 is tempting me away from WinMo (HD2 atm)....

I just wish MS would get off their backside and pour loads of effort into fixing WM into a decent competitor. As it stands they're just getting left behind - slowly but surely...

Guest CTSpawn
i would love to see a htc device with a 8 mega pixel camera, led flash, tv option, beamer.....

we need to wait like 5 years ?

well......

The XPERIA X2 has an 8mp camera with flash and tv-out, and the LG GW820 eXpo (AT&T) has a projector.

Guest dowiepower

Ive had Motorola, Nokia, Blackberry, Samsung using their stock OS but i bought a Samsung Omnia which had Winmo, best choice i made in terms of usability, speed and all round performance.

The fact that it was windows that most of the features it had relates to my computer itself, i know my phone inside and out when it comes to settings and other little tweaks.

Nothing really just that i prefer to stay with windows caus of it ability to install anything thats everything these days. Where is other OS's restrict what can be installed and stuff like that.

I used Nokia S40 phones up until my first Windows Mobile phone, a Motorola MPx200 back in 2002. Since then I've been through a succession of touch screen and non-touch screen WM phone right up to my current Touch Diamond, and the chain will likely continue to the HD2 when I upgrade in January.

I was initally drawn to WinMo because of the pass through internet. In the days when mobile data was expensive and phones did not have built in WiFi, the ability to hook up to Activesync and use your PC's connection to load content off the web was invaluable. Obviously this has all changed now and ubiquitous 3.5G at reasonable prices means you never really need to hook the phone up to a PC.

So what appeals to me now is that, like others here, I am familiar with the OS, know how to tweak it to my needs, and love the customizability. Multitasking is essential too (twitter and messenger are always on in the background), but the single most valuable asset of WM offers is its community of custom ROM chefs. I get bored of any gadget very rapidly, and new ROMs keep my phones fresh and up to date. I am still amazed that the MPx200 which ran Smartphone 2002 originally, can run WM6.1.

The only other OS which interests me is Maemo as I have tinkered with it on the N800, and think it has a lot of potential. Will have to play with the N900 to see whether it is worth getting, but it has huge boots to fill.

Windows Mobile is compatible to anything else I use at home and at work. I've used Symbian UIQ before I decided to switch to WM, and the versatility and the compatibility of WM is beyond compare.

And it's good to know, that if you decide to buy another WM based phone you can still use the applications you already have. And there are so many good applications to choose from.

The way you can play around with your phone by putting different ROMs and applications on it and the long history of Windows Mobile make me don't want to buy any other phone. I mean, a simple feature like copy-paste is available on the latest iPhone only, can you believe that? And there's basically only one iPhone to choose from (apart from newer versions), but I can choose from many WM based phones.

To get the same features on an iPhone that I have on my WM phone I would have to spend 1000 dollars (against approx. 150 dollars for the Samsung I have now) :) !

Guest forelli
with over 100,000 apps on the apple store, and alot of them ARE free, there are some really useful apps. Our developers make some free ones, and have to say, they are extremely good.

I guess from the response you are going by "hear say" rather than actually seeing it for yourself and using the product?

I do not believe its a case of "apple sucks" or "Windows sucks", but in todays technology, WM fails in comparison to the likes of iPhone and even Android now.

I know I would not buy a WM or iphone just for music as there are cheaper options. But to have something all in one, its quite handy I guess.

Not a real music lover, but more into a device that fits my needs.

Android and iPhone shows WM has not aged well.

Why I stick to WinMo despite the cons? Iphone: can't change battery, can't expand memory, capacitive screen (can't use gloves), can't use stylus. Is very good at playing music (got an Ipod touch, don't care), games (try to beat a 37 inch lcd flat screen+ps3), apps (got what I need, what I don't, I find the cabs over the internet), Outlook (work email exchange server), 100% Office documents compatibility, plus, WinMo phones are easier to UNLOCK as Iphones (IMEI reading for NCK code) and the list goes on...

forelli, winmo PROUD user

Guest Sonicr360
To get the same features on an iPhone that I have on my WM phone I would have to spend 1000 dollars (against approx. 150 dollars for the Samsung I have now) :) !

What utter nonsense. 1000 dollars? You keep dreaming ............

Guest Sonicr360
Why I stick to WinMo despite the cons? Iphone: can't change battery, can't expand memory, capacitive screen (can't use gloves), can't use stylus. Is very good at playing music (got an Ipod touch, don't care), games (try to beat a 37 inch lcd flat screen+ps3), apps (got what I need, what I don't, I find the cabs over the internet), Outlook (work email exchange server), 100% Office documents compatibility, plus, WinMo phones are easier to UNLOCK as Iphones (IMEI reading for NCK code) and the list goes on...

forelli, winmo PROUD user

Forelli,

Why would you want to change the battery? In my WM I only have an extra 4GB card - its more than enough for me. But it depends on what you want to store on it.

The ideal behind the iPhone screen is you DONT need a Stylus! Why the hell WOULD YOU WANT ONE!!!!! They break, they are nasty, you drop them, they are annoying. The idea behind the "touch" is you use what is known as your "Finger". But hey, thats cool, you stick to the Stylus as most WM device users are obviously happy with their Stylus right?

Errr..... NO! I dont think so ..... maybe that is why HD2 does not come with one?

iPhones are easy to unlock, so I am not sure that is a good diehard reason not to get one.

As for the games..... well what are you talking about a 37" TV! Go for 50" !!!! Then you will get a better experience :)

Also, from a developing point of view, its clear that the iPhone is just sooooooo much better in game play (for those that want it) ON the move! So saying you cant beat 37" TV+PS3 is more or less saying "Cant beat your home cinema surround sound system".

You are not exactly going to take that with you "on the move" are you?

Face it, like I have said, there are 2 camps - the WM geeks and the Android/iPhone/Nokia users. Each is happy with their own device, in what it can do, offer and achieve.

WM is simply too flat and boring at the moment. And MS knows this. It is allowing developers to do "their work" to make it easier to use!

Point is ... MICROSOFT are not listening to you .... If Google can do it with Android, then MS can!

And there you have it ;)

Guest Sonicr360
So what appeals to me now is that, like others here, I am familiar with the OS, know how to tweak it to my needs, and love the customizability. Multitasking is essential too (twitter and messenger are always on in the background), but the single most valuable asset of WM offers is its community of custom ROM chefs. I get bored of any gadget very rapidly, and new ROMs keep my phones fresh and up to date. I am still amazed that the MPx200 which ran Smartphone 2002 originally, can run WM6.1.

It is thanks to the guys at XDA that help do this. They have alot of experience and cooked roms :) However, it has also shown that MS seem to "limit" the potential of the Hardware with a bad OS. And its the XDA guys that have helped "release" this and offer the potential.

But as I have said, when you see some great stuff on Android and iPhone, MS are really letting the customers and userbase down.

And to me, that is a shame.

This Windows Mobile Article makes interesting reading, and its worth a click, even if you are not WM fan.

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,100000...0675210b,00.htm

MS need to come up with a better OS in WM7.

I've used WM phones for several years, and am used to the way they work. They do exactly what I need (make calls, handle SMS and Sync with Exchange easily), and do plenty of things that are handy (play music, do a little surfing to check the trains).

If a good alternative came along, and gave me something that I really felt I needed then I would swap. All the alternatives have their positives and negatives just as much as WM has. If I was coming to smart phones today, I'd look around and see which I liked the most and probably stick with it unless something else seemed worthwhile moving to.

So to answer your specific questions:

1. It works well enough for me, and I am familiar with it

2. Familiarity and good exchange sync mostly

3. Familiarity with WM - no reason to change

Agreed.

On current showing, I'll be using my HTC Touch Pro 2 for at least the life of my Vodafone contract (2 years), probably a fair bit more than that. If, when it's time to replace my device, a different operating system offers the same - or better - advantages that I currently enjoy with Windows Mobile, then I'm move MobOpSys.

Until then, why change if it's not broken?

Guest Sonicr360
Until then, why change if it's not broken?

Well today I have JUST done that!!! Just upgraded to a different non WM phone.

I have given it alot of thought for many, many months now (not just because of a thread but because I feel MS is just deflated compared to what is out there).

:)

Guest forelli
Forelli,

Why would you want to change the battery? In my WM I only have an extra 4GB card - its more than enough for me. But it depends on what you want to store on it.

The ideal behind the iPhone screen is you DONT need a Stylus! Why the hell WOULD YOU WANT ONE!!!!! They break, they are nasty, you drop them, they are annoying. The idea behind the "touch" is you use what is known as your "Finger". But hey, thats cool, you stick to the Stylus as most WM device users are obviously happy with their Stylus right?

Errr..... NO! I dont think so ..... maybe that is why HD2 does not come with one?

iPhones are easy to unlock, so I am not sure that is a good diehard reason not to get one.

As for the games..... well what are you talking about a 37" TV! Go for 50" !!!! Then you will get a better experience :)

Also, from a developing point of view, its clear that the iPhone is just sooooooo much better in game play (for those that want it) ON the move! So saying you cant beat 37" TV+PS3 is more or less saying "Cant beat your home cinema surround sound system".

You are not exactly going to take that with you "on the move" are you?

Face it, like I have said, there are 2 camps - the WM geeks and the Android/iPhone/Nokia users. Each is happy with their own device, in what it can do, offer and achieve.

WM is simply too flat and boring at the moment. And MS knows this. It is allowing developers to do "their work" to make it easier to use!

Point is ... MICROSOFT are not listening to you .... If Google can do it with Android, then MS can!

And there you have it ;)

I don't see my phone as a gaming device, so I don't care about games on the phone, I know others do, but hey, they can post a comment too. Concerning the battery, it just happens, you may need to change it for any given reason, but then with the Iphone, you're stuck.

In the stylus point of view, if you're living in a country which has no below zero temperatures, then you can make a good use of your fingers, but if in your country, just like where i live, it's cold 3 or 4 months a year, then you need a stylus, or at least a resistive screen.

Google and Android are ok, but, just like facebook, i won't give them to much data, not knowing what they actually do with it.

Plus, it's easy to criticise when you came after: since when is the Iphone OSb on the market? I guess it learned from MS mistakes, and it's too young to be compared to MS. Let's see what's new in 5 years with this OS. It took already 2 years to include the "copy and paste" functions in it, maybe in a 5 year time we'll have the screen calibration for better accuracy...

I don't careabout a 90 000+ apps store if 90% of them are useless to me. An app must fulfill a need, and not create one, period.

For what you need is the Iphone good, well, stick to it and good for you.

Don't forget that the thread is about why you stick to winmo, not why you stick to Iphone.

forelli

HAPPY, HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS YEAR 2010 TO ALL, THE IPHONE USERS TOO!!!

Guest realaxed
with over 100,000 apps on the apple store, and alot of them ARE free, there are some really useful apps. Our developers make some free ones, and have to say, they are extremely good.

I guess from the response you are going by "hear say" rather than actually seeing it for yourself and using the product?

I do not believe its a case of "apple sucks" or "Windows sucks", but in todays technology, WM fails in comparison to the likes of iPhone and even Android now.

I know I would not buy a WM or iphone just for music as there are cheaper options. But to have something all in one, its quite handy I guess.

Not a real music lover, but more into a device that fits my needs.

Android and iPhone shows WM has not aged well.

Actually, Sonicr360 to me you're starting to sound a little like an Apply Fanboy. Really I think all the OS's have their advantages and disadvantages. Just because someone prefers a winmo phone over an iphone you can't assume that they haven't fully tested one. I think the iphones are pretty slick, but I don't like the way apple limits my choice of software and how I do things. I also hate itunes so that's another minus for the iphone. If I do change my OS it would be Android because it seems to have the same freedom of use as winmo, but the slickness, and stability of the iphone. ..So I MAY switch sometime in 1-2 years when I either want a new phone or find my xperia just doesn't cut it.

Everyone keeps talking about how few apps winmo has, but a quick search of xda-dev and I usually find the a homegrown app that's free that fits my needs. Groovefish, is a good example. (ability to listen to grooveshark music on my winmo phone).

Now people may also complain that you shouldn't have to search xda, but I compare it to looking at any other app store (sorta). There are applications, pictures of apps in question, reviews, and really just a consolidated place where you can find the information that you need. Works for me at least.

So that's my 2 cents. Iphone is nice, but I wouldn't use it.

Edited by realaxed

Guest Sonicr360
Actually, Sonicr360 to me you're starting to sound a little like an Apply Fanboy. Really I think all the OS's have their advantages and disadvantages. Just because someone prefers a winmo phone over an iphone you can't assume that they haven't fully tested one. I think the iphones are pretty slick, but I don't like the way apple limits my choice of software and how I do things. I also hate itunes so that's another minus for the iphone. If I do change my OS it would be Android because it seems to have the same freedom of use as winmo, but the slickness, and stability of the iphone. ..So I MAY switch sometime in 1-2 years when I either want a new phone or find my xperia just doesn't cut it.

Everyone keeps talking about how few apps winmo has, but a quick search of xda-dev and I usually find the a homegrown app that's free that fits my needs. Groovefish, is a good example. (ability to listen to grooveshark music on my winmo phone).

Now people may also complain that you shouldn't have to search xda, but I compare it to looking at any other app store (sorta). There are applications, pictures of apps in question, reviews, and really just a consolidated place where you can find the information that you need. Works for me at least.

So that's my 2 cents. Iphone is nice, but I wouldn't use it.

Reelex

Not at all - But work with developers that do develop on iPhone, Android and of course, the legacy WM.

I think (being a WM fan for too long to remember), the time has come for a change. WM is simply too dull now a days compared to Android 2.x it is just a slicker OS.

And that aside, apps from Google and Apple can of course be purchased and used (cost effectively) to mimic what a WM device could do.

Android is really what we should be looking at. And it has shown that in less than 2 years, Google and Apple have both shown that they can harness the power of a "computer in your pocket".

The iPhone and Android may be a phone, but in my view, and seeing what has been achieved, they are really powerful computers.

And when you think WM has been around for over 10 years now, they really have lost ground.

So to answer your question.... No not really an Apple fan, but seeing what has been developed, and seeing some cracking stuff out there, damn it is good!

I am sure the Android phone will match everything I can do on a WM device - Likewise an apple.

But it will not be to everyones taste.

And if you refer back to my previous posts reelex, I stated all along, there are always 2 camps.....

Guest Sonicr360
I think the iphones are pretty slick, but I don't like the way apple limits my choice of software and how I do things. I also hate itunes so that's another minus for the iphone.

Jailbrake a phone..... its so simple (as I have been shown) and really opens up the device to so much more.

But each to their own :)

Guest Sonicr360
I don't see my phone as a gaming device, so I don't care about games on the phone, I know others do, but hey, they can post a comment too. Concerning the battery, it just happens, you may need to change it for any given reason, but then with the Iphone, you're stuck.

In the stylus point of view, if you're living in a country which has no below zero temperatures, then you can make a good use of your fingers, but if in your country, just like where i live, it's cold 3 or 4 months a year, then you need a stylus, or at least a resistive screen.

Google and Android are ok, but, just like facebook, i won't give them to much data, not knowing what they actually do with it.

Plus, it's easy to criticise when you came after: since when is the Iphone OSb on the market? I guess it learned from MS mistakes, and it's too young to be compared to MS. Let's see what's new in 5 years with this OS. It took already 2 years to include the "copy and paste" functions in it, maybe in a 5 year time we'll have the screen calibration for better accuracy...

I don't careabout a 90 000+ apps store if 90% of them are useless to me. An app must fulfill a need, and not create one, period.

For what you need is the Iphone good, well, stick to it and good for you.

Don't forget that the thread is about why you stick to winmo, not why you stick to Iphone.

forelli

HAPPY, HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS YEAR 2010 TO ALL, THE IPHONE USERS TOO!!!

Ferelli

In regards to the Battery - Of course you are not stuck! Buy a sleeve that comes with an extended battery! But in my mind, with all my WM devices, I have never purchased a second battery, or had to need to replace it. And I would not see this as a problem myself. If I knew I was going to be away from power for xxx number of days, then a sleeve extension can be used I guess.

The country I live in gets cold, but if it was too cold, I doubt the use of the phone (ie: features, apps, ect) would be the last thing on my mind. As long as I could make a call, that would suit me find. Ideally, without a stylus :)

I dont believe Apple's first OS was that bad. It was updated in a year I believe that had extra features like copy / paste, Exchange Sync, Push, ect.

I guess if the iPhone was to be used, it would have to be the 3GS to get all the features. And of course, if you Jailbreak a phone, you get more function out of the phone.

The purchase of WM was for me, to prevent the need for a Laptop. The TYTN II does this for me. And I have apps that are good, but now a days, seeing Android and of course Apple having so many apps, there are features that to me, could justify the need to replace. Android is a dead cert ;)

But like I have kept saying, MS are letting the customers down. Ok, cheers to XDA coming up with their own cooked roms (Which in some ways is like jailbreaking the iPHone), but MS should have really caught up.

If google can produce a fantastic OS on the Nexus one, everyone better watchout!! It is good B)

Oh almost forgot.... Happy New Year :o :( :D B) :D :( :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.