What makes you stick with Windows Mobile?

Guest vinaymanro

Guest doi620
What utter nonsense. 1000 dollars? You keep dreaming ............

Yeah, that really makes me change my mind :)

Edited by doi620

Custom Rom's and the ability to customize heaps of stuff but if apple had the ability to be a bit more customizable I would switch even though I hate apple but then again im not too impressed with windows either......

Guest Sonicr360

Sb.

A fellow colleague has their iPhone unlocked, and seems pretty impressed with it.

Like you, hacked off with Windows. But I do also favour android as well.

Guest CongoJoe
I tried to have an open mind and bought the iphone, used it for 2 months and dumped it as soon as the HD2 came out. I also have an Android (HTC Hero) too as I need 2 phones sometimes. The thing that really turns me of about the iphone is that lack of multitasking as many have pointed out. How many times do you have someone call you and ask if you are free on a particular day and you cannot bring up the calendar to see? For people like us who use the phone for everything WM is still the only device that can do that.

Wow, you had an iphone for two months and didnt realise that you can open the calendar, or any other app for that matter while in a call?

Im an ex winmo user and honestly dont miss the multitasking at all.

In wm the only apps i kept open were activesync and mail, i'd actually spend a lot of time closing processes to keep the phone usable.

The core services of the iphone do run in the background (mail, phone, ipod) and ive never felt the need to have any others running in the background.

Im a sys admin for a large multimedia company and the iphone does everything i need quickly and without hassle.

My wm phones have served me well and also done everything i need (often without having to pay for an extra app) but i just ran out of patience with it.

To be honest, winmo7 is going to have to be pretty special even to tempt me back.

Guest Sonicr360

I was watching the BBC News last night about the announcement of the Nexus One, and I found it laughable that they stated that Nokia, RIM and Apple each have a % share of the Smartphone Market.

What made me laugh is that Microsoft was NOT even mentioned!!! B)

A quote from the statement reads "Figures from Gartner suggest that Android has about a 3.5% share of the global smartphone market. By comparison Nokia has a 39% share and Apple 17%" :)

Also interesting, I was not aware but since 2007, Apple have sold over 30 Million iPhones. And now you can get it on most networks, I suspect this figure will definetely increase in a short period of time.

Yes, Windows Mobile is losing ground, and as you stated CongoJoe, it would have to take alot to go back.

But I think those that have switched to Nokia / Google / Apple probably wont bother jumping back aboard the M$ ship!

Guest darknessviking

1) The question is why? Why do you stick with Windows Mobile?

2) What feature(s) make you stick with Windows Mobile?

3) What deters you from other Mobile OS devices?

1. ive only started using it since about 1-2 weeks ago when i got my Omnia Pro

at first (after a day) i tought...omg..what is this kind of crap..no settings at all? but then the world opened up and now im very glad that i use Win mobile..

2.its a bit like windows xp - it does the job its supposed to do and it does it well.i like the familiar environment..its got the things i need.

3. the completeness of it.

Guest amb123

Hi guys,

To answer your question, I like windows mobile because I can not name any other OS that is as customizable as WM. I mean hardcore customization. Tell me what is the other OS that let a regular user that likes to learn go as deep as creation of your own ROMS. Apple... Symbian...

1) The question is why? Why do you stick with Windows Mobile? - Support from XDA developers

2) What feature(s) make you stick with Windows Mobile? - The developers who work hard for the WM community (non profit)

3) What deters you from other Mobile OS devices? - Lack of choice/options when it comes to modding the software

Guest barrybryce

To jumble answers to all the questions:

Because I know it and I've used it ever since the first SPV came out, because it's customisable, because I don't know what the alternatives I haven't tried are like and might not like them, and because I've got software I like for it that I don't want to have to re-buy.

Edited by barrybryce

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nickcornaglia

I was a looooong time WindowsMobile fan. Like above, since the SPV and switched to new WinMo phones waaay too often. Probably an average of 2 or three phones a year. I couldnt get enough.

But then I switched to the iPhone...looked back once...but stuck with the iPhone. 2G, 3G, then 3GS.

WinMo never moved forward. Overlay interfaces never interested me as it isn't a true complete UI. Just a facade with the same old UI in the background.

Then there is the whole complexity of changing ROMs to get what you want, customizing the homescreen to look and function the way you want, Unlocking premium devices to work on the carrier that you use, app unlocking to use the software you want. Though I was always glad to do all of that and enjoyed the timkering....life is so much better not needing to.

Developers flock to the iPhone. Quality applications are low cost thanks to quantities sold. AND I have so much free time to tinker with other things than the mandatory changes needed to make my phone function properly.

Android does look like a best of both worlds option to me. Powerful phone. Lots of apps. Tweak til your heart's content (only if you want).

I may make THAT switch one day...but never back to WinMo. Said bye-bye two years ago...can't look back now! :)

I was a looooong time WindowsMobile fan. Like above, since the SPV and switched to new WinMo phones waaay too often. Probably an average of 2 or three phones a year. I couldnt get enough.

But then I switched to the iPhone...looked back once...but stuck with the iPhone. 2G, 3G, then 3GS.

WinMo never moved forward. Overlay interfaces never interested me as it isn't a true complete UI. Just a facade with the same old UI in the background.

Then there is the whole complexity of changing ROMs to get what you want, customizing the homescreen to look and function the way you want, Unlocking premium devices to work on the carrier that you use, app unlocking to use the software you want. Though I was always glad to do all of that and enjoyed the timkering....life is so much better not needing to.

Developers flock to the iPhone. Quality applications are low cost thanks to quantities sold. AND I have so much free time to tinker with other things than the mandatory changes needed to make my phone function properly.

Android does look like a best of both worlds option to me. Powerful phone. Lots of apps. Tweak til your heart's content (only if you want).

I may make THAT switch one day...but never back to WinMo. Said bye-bye two years ago...can't look back now! :)

But why android? Does it has the same stunning developer UI lib as on the iPhone? Maybe I should read more info about android but haven't seen it yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.