Tg01 freeze on programs installed on sd

Guest ultrakorne

Guest ultrakorne

hi, i have bought this device some weeks ago, and upgraded to wm 6.5 from toshiba website.

i m using the default 8gb sd, and seems to work fine (copyng, reading videos, pics, music, large files) with no problems, and i also check with "flash format" program, and seems not corrupted.

anyway when i install programs on sd (i tryed many, google maps, some resco`s sw, and many others). first time they work fine, then after some times i run the programs (usually 5-6, sometimes the second time), device hangs on loading for 5+ minuts, then it runs as nothing were launched, and with no errors (and sometimes device turn off).

if i install the same program on the device rom, all works fine and flawless, if i reinstall on sd, it works first time, then maybe after some suspend, it hangs again for minuts.

i dont know what my problem could be, i need tips on what to check.

this issue appers just after i bought the phone, (i didnt try wm 6.1, so i donw know if its a 6.5 issue)

working with files, video (also large videos 500+mb) is ok, no problems, no hangs up.

Guest useyourfist

have you checked task manager to make sure there are not alot of programs running at the same time using all your memory as alot of programs dont shut down even if you exit them. make sure you turn your phone completly off every so often to clear up any random memory leaks.

the only crash i get is from running zenonia twice in a row which is annoying

Guest ultrakorne
have you checked task manager to make sure there are not alot of programs running at the same time using all your memory as alot of programs dont shut down even if you exit them. make sure you turn your phone completly off every so often to clear up any random memory leaks.

the only crash i get is from running zenonia twice in a row which is annoying

my ram is completly free, no program on background. and this hangs happens just after a reboot. :)

Guest xdalover
my ram is completly free, no program on background. and this hangs happens just after a reboot. :)

No problem on my SD since I updated to WM6.5

Why don't you try another SD card? And/or format it again.

Guest ultrakorne
No problem on my SD since I updated to WM6.5

Why don't you try another SD card? And/or format it again.

can i use "flash format" and format directly from the tg01, or is better to use a sw on my pc?

is there a best format options? fat32 cluster size 32kb is my current

Guest useyourfist
can i use "flash format" and format directly from the tg01, or is better to use a sw on my pc?

is there a best format options? fat32 cluster size 32kb is my current

i would say do it on your tg01 not for an technical reason just seems logical for it to format it how it wants and you could try a hard reset if that dont work.

hi, i have bought this device some weeks ago, and upgraded to wm 6.5 from toshiba website.

i m using the default 8gb sd, and seems to work fine (copyng, reading videos, pics, music, large files) with no problems, and i also check with "flash format" program, and seems not corrupted.

anyway when i install programs on sd (i tryed many, google maps, some resco`s sw, and many others). first time they work fine, then after some times i run the programs (usually 5-6, sometimes the second time), device hangs on loading for 5+ minuts, then it runs as nothing were launched, and with no errors (and sometimes device turn off).

if i install the same program on the device rom, all works fine and flawless, if i reinstall on sd, it works first time, then maybe after some suspend, it hangs again for minuts.

i dont know what my problem could be, i need tips on what to check.

this issue appers just after i bought the phone, (i didnt try wm 6.1, so i donw know if its a 6.5 issue)

working with files, video (also large videos 500+mb) is ok, no problems, no hangs up.

Ciao ultrakorne you're not alone, I have exactly the same problem. I changed the SD without succes formatted and reformatted.

Seems with low temperature the problem is more frequent.

I had another TG01 before this and it had several other bugs but not this one.

The problem that I see that there are different groups of Tg01 with different bugs :-)

May I ask if you have any kind of problem with the bluetooth headset? I can hear perfectly but 2 times out of 3 on the other end who is calling me can hardly understand me.

Ciao

Guest ultrakorne
Ciao ultrakorne you're not alone, I have exactly the same problem. I changed the SD without succes formatted and reformatted.

Seems with low temperature the problem is more frequent.

I had another TG01 before this and it had several other bugs but not this one.

The problem that I see that there are different groups of Tg01 with different bugs :-)

May I ask if you have any kind of problem with the bluetooth headset? I can hear perfectly but 2 times out of 3 on the other end who is calling me can hardly understand me.

Ciao

its bad to hear that :) .. so no solutions for that problem?

lets mail toshiba then ;)

i didnt try bt headset yet

Guest ultrakorne
Sometime the mic is not routed to the BT headdset and you must speak to the phone mic. I don't know why or when this happens....

dont know about bt, i dont use them usually. i mailed again toshiba about my freeze.

i got another freeze right now. wm hangs for some minuts, then the tg01 turn off alone...

thats is not a small issue.. and we alredy get recently an update :)

• 2 months later...
Guest richchestmat

Did anyone get anywhere with this successfully?

I'm having the same issue. Once I isolated Google Maps Latitdue as the cause and the problem went away. Just over a week ago the problem returned and something else must be the cause. The behaviour looks just like this. The difference is according to running tasks and processes the only non-default service running is GooSync and that is running from internal memory. I'm also quite confident from earlier isolation testing that it isn't the cause.

Guest eegah

I have exactly the same problem, when I try and run Co Pilot Live from my card it nearly always crashes. The same when I try to load maps into Memory Map I usually get an error with Memory Map unable to load the map. I have tried 3 different cards all with the same results. I also tried the same cards in my old phone and they work fine so the problem is with the Toshiba and not the cards. I have e-mailed Toshiba and they said it could be a driver issue and to try a hard reset, but I have only had the phone a month and have already had to do about 9 hard resets and the problem is still there. Toshiba was supposed to be giving me an address to send the phone back but I am still waiting. Even then I am a bit wary as a replacement phone may be even worse, I just think this is a seriously flawed phone and will never be ok. It is certainly the worst phone I haver ever owned, and I can now understand why Orange were selling them off cheap.

Guest xdalover
Try format your SD card on a desktop pc and try it, it works for me.

Another think that works as well: The original SD cad is (4). Try a faster one (6). I didn't have problems but I've noted an improvement (programs start faster)

Best Regars

Guest richchestmat

My SD card is already a 6. I didn't bother with the class 4 that came with the phone. However the thing with the speeds is that they only make a difference with sustained data transfer. Music, videos and large files benefit from the higher class. Random access for loading up small program files will not be different.

So far the morning after I've had no freezes and no GWES.exe errors in the morning.

Guest richchestmat

One further morning after and here's my astonishing report.

With no SD card inserted I've had no crashes, GWES errors, freezes, slowdowns and - here's the sucker punch - the battery is at 80%. Before it was dying within a day.

The next part is to find out if it's the card itself? If it needs a format? Is it some software installed on there? Is it mail attachments stored there? Something else?

So my next step is to copy the data to PC and then format the card. Then just have it inserted but blank.

Guest SteveYorks
I have exactly the same problem, when I try and run Co Pilot Live from my card it nearly always crashes. The same when I try to load maps into Memory Map I usually get an error with Memory Map unable to load the map. I have tried 3 different cards all with the same results. I also tried the same cards in my old phone and they work fine so the problem is with the Toshiba and not the cards. I have e-mailed Toshiba and they said it could be a driver issue and to try a hard reset, but I have only had the phone a month and have already had to do about 9 hard resets and the problem is still there. Toshiba was supposed to be giving me an address to send the phone back but I am still waiting. Even then I am a bit wary as a replacement phone may be even worse, I just think this is a seriously flawed phone and will never be ok. It is certainly the worst phone I haver ever owned, and I can now understand why Orange were selling them off cheap.

As for MemoryMap not loading maps, blame Microsoft for that not Toshiba, Win 6.5 is limited to a maximum amount of RAM it can use for programs.

After a soft reset with maximum free RAM I can oped the Peak District 90MB map ok, but after its been running programs a while I can only open maps up to about 60MB.

You just have to split your maps down into smaller pieces to have it run ok.

Guest paroariax

I've had this problem as well. I don't believe it is a problem with the SD card, so formatting or replacing it won't help. If you go to the actual EXE of the program on the SD card and run it directly, it will run without any problems. I therefore suspect that it is a corrupted shortcut in the Start menu. There are several apps around that allow you to edit Start menu shortcuts, and I believe using one of these may be the solution, but I haven't got around to trying it yet.

The thread I started on this issue is here.

Guest eegah
As for MemoryMap not loading maps, blame Microsoft for that not Toshiba, Win 6.5 is limited to a maximum amount of RAM it can use for programs.

After a soft reset with maximum free RAM I can oped the Peak District 90MB map ok, but after its been running programs a while I can only open maps up to about 60MB.

You just have to split your maps down into smaller pieces to have it run ok.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info, would you believe it's the very same Peak District map that I am trying to run. I shall reduce the size. Thanks for the advice.

Guest SteveYorks

Hi eegah,

I've got my Peak District map split into 4 pieces, but you could easily do it with just 3, depends on where you want the map intersections to be to make it convenient for you.

Is your GPS working ok, I'm on my fourth handset now trying to get it sorted, check out my posts at http://forum.xda-developers.com showthread.php?t=555156

See you on the hills!

Guest cakepanda

hi

it does seem that for programs installed on the sd card, it is the shortcut which causes the program to hang. a workaround for this is to create a new shortcut for the program via file explorer, then put this shortcut in the windows/start menu/programs folder. i have done this for copilot and it hasnt caused a hang/freeze once since.

Guest eegah
Hi eegah,

I've got my Peak District map split into 4 pieces, but you could easily do it with just 3, depends on where you want the map intersections to be to make it convenient for you.

Is your GPS working ok, I'm on my fourth handset now trying to get it sorted, check out my posts at http://forum.xda-developers.com showthread.php?t=555156

See you on the hills!

Hi Steve,

I have just updated my Windows 6.5 from the Toshiba website (Toshiba updated yesterday) and everything is running fine at the moment. All my maps are loading fine, even the full Peak District map and my Ben Nevis map which is over 115 meg. This could be because of the clean install and the fact I am not running many apps, but lets hope its sorted. I have not reinstalled SPB either, I like the program but it just takes up far too much memory. I am also running Co-Pilot live with no problems either. I noticed on your link to XDA you needed GPS Gate to run Memory Map, I have never used this just set my external gps in the settings menu to COM4 gps hardware port is NONE Baud rate is 4800 and select Manage GPS automatically. Set the same in Memory Map and it runs fine. I may trek to Edale at weekend to check it's all ok.

Guest SteveYorks
hi

it does seem that for programs installed on the sd card, it is the shortcut which causes the program to hang. a workaround for this is to create a new shortcut for the program via file explorer, then put this shortcut in the windows/start menu/programs folder. i have done this for copilot and it hasnt caused a hang/freeze once since.

Good info, its sorted out my Tosh freezing when trying to open shortcuts created in SPB Shell.

Guest SteveYorks
Hi Steve,

I have just updated my Windows 6.5 from the Toshiba website (Toshiba updated yesterday) and everything is running fine at the moment. All my maps are loading fine, even the full Peak District map and my Ben Nevis map which is over 115 meg. This could be because of the clean install and the fact I am not running many apps, but lets hope its sorted. I have not reinstalled SPB either, I like the program but it just takes up far too much memory. I am also running Co-Pilot live with no problems either. I noticed on your link to XDA you needed GPS Gate to run Memory Map, I have never used this just set my external gps in the settings menu to COM4 gps hardware port is NONE Baud rate is 4800 and select Manage GPS automatically. Set the same in Memory Map and it runs fine. I may trek to Edale at weekend to check it's all ok.

I've updated mine too and so far I can even open the GB Road Atlas (137MB) ok, and that's with SPB installed and after the phones been running all morning opening different apps etc. So it does look promising.

Thanks for the info re GPS Gate and Memory Map, I put your settings in and it does work ok without GPS Gate, nice one. However mine is still knackered when it comes to the GPS randomly disconnecting, both TomTom and iGO now seem to be worse than they were before the update. I just can't win with this phone.