08/Mar - Superboot ERD79 -> GRI40 - rooting the Nexus One

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest unchainedrssr
Was running a rooted frf50 N1. Used Rom Manager to upgrade to frf91 with the rooted option...

LOST ROOT>>>>>>, but, able to flash the update.zip from here: http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67676#post67676, and I have root again...

thanks for that link unchainedrssr at post # 213..

lifesaver...!!!!!

:)

Your welcome. Thank you for posting the response! I hope that we get the new superboot soon, because I know that some of us are waiting for it.

The community here on this forum is, by far, the best for those of us who are looking for information, help, and no flaming.

Thanks Paul and thanks to everyone here.

Guest crawler9
Anyword one when the FRF91 superboot is coming out? Just got my nexus one and I want to root this bad boy

You can already root by downgrading to ERE27 EPE76 then upgrading to FRF85B then rooting your device without unlocking your device's bootloader. You could then flash any ROM you wanted from a custom recovery.

Edited by crawler9

Guest codywolf
You can already root by downgrading to ERE27 EPE76 then upgrading to FRF85B then rooting your device without unlocking your device's bootloader. You could then flash any ROM you wanted from a custom recovery.

How do you downgrade if you can send me a link that would be great and I already unlocked the bootloader if that matters.

Guest iWickedWeasel

My Nexus One has build ERE49B which is not an option in the above list. Do you guys know which superboot image would be compatible with ERE49B? I've tried most of them, and they all fail to unlock the prom during the fastboot-windows oem unlock step. Any help you could provide would be huge!!!

Also note, that when attempting these images, somehow my phone audio became completely unusable; no tones, no ringtones, no voice, no audio at all. All of the other phone functions appear to be fine. I would love to have an image to make my phone useful again!

Thanks team, love the work you are doing!!!

Guest Yarda
Paul will make a new superboot for FRF91 this week.

He has sent this via Twitter to me..

well, good news

thx for reporting this

Guest iWickedWeasel
My Nexus One has build ERE49B which is not an option in the above list. Do you guys know which superboot image would be compatible with ERE49B? I've tried most of them, and they all fail to unlock the prom during the fastboot-windows oem unlock step. Any help you could provide would be huge!!!

Also note, that when attempting these images, somehow my phone audio became completely unusable; no tones, no ringtones, no voice, no audio at all. All of the other phone functions appear to be fine. I would love to have an image to make my phone useful again!

Thanks team, love the work you are doing!!!

Here are the errors I'm getting when attempting the oem unlock:

pc9456$ ./fastboot-mac oem unlock

... INFO[ERR] partition_read::Failed to read page 261120 or it is em

INFOpty

INFO[DISPLAY_ERR] sp_custom partition: sp_custom_img_hd read err

INFOor!

INFO[DISPLAY_ERR] Can not load custom splash!

INFOLoading custom splash failed!

OKAY

-iMac:1.0-ERE27-nexusone-superboot pc9456$

Guest unchainedrssr
Here are the errors I'm getting when attempting the oem unlock:

pc9456$ ./fastboot-mac oem unlock

... INFO[ERR] partition_read::Failed to read page 261120 or it is em

INFOpty

INFO[DISPLAY_ERR] sp_custom partition: sp_custom_img_hd read err

INFOor!

INFO[DISPLAY_ERR] Can not load custom splash!

INFOLoading custom splash failed!

OKAY

-iMac:1.0-ERE27-nexusone-superboot pc9456$

If you have adb set up already (with the latest SDK), a custom ROM on the root of your sd card, and a custom recovery in the tools folder of your android sdk, try this:

1. turn phone off

2. Hold down trackball and power on to get into the bootloader

3. Fastboot should be highlighted but if now use the volume keys to select it and power button to select

4. (in cmd prompt) cd C:\AndroidSDK\tools (or however you have it set up as)

5. type: fastboot devices (to make sure your device is recognized)

6. if so, type: fastboot oem unlock

7. On your phone select to unlock and quickly press and hold down the trackball, when your phone tries to reboot, to get back into bootloader and fastboot

8. again, make sure your phone is recognized

9. if so, type: fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-nexus-v1.7.0.1.img (or what ever you use)

10. turn off your phone.

11. turn on while holding the volume down button to reboot into recovery.

12. Flash your custom ROM. :)

Let me know if it works for you, and good luck.

Edited by unchainedrssr

Guest iWickedWeasel
If you have adb set up already (with the latest SDK), a custom ROM on the root of your sd card, and a custom recovery in the tools folder of your android sdk, try this:

1. turn phone off

2. Hold down trackball and power on to get into the bootloader

3. Fastboot should be highlighted but if now use the volume keys to select it and power button to select

4. (in cmd prompt) cd C:\AndroidSDK\tools (or however you have it set up as)

5. type: fastboot devices (to make sure your device is recognized)

6. if so, type: fastboot oem unlock

7. On your phone select to unlock and quickly press and hold down the trackball, when your phone tries to reboot, to get back into bootloader and fastboot

8. again, make sure your phone is recognized

9. if so, type: fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-nexus-v1.7.0.1.img (or what ever you use)

10. turn off your phone.

11. turn on while holding the volume down button to reboot into recovery.

12. Flash your custom ROM. :)

Let me know if it works for you, and good luck.

Thank you for your reply. Everything goes well up to the point where I attempt to flash my custom ROM. My phone displays the following errors:

Build : RA-nexus-v1.7.0.1

Install : update.zip ?

Press Trackball to confirm,

any other key to abort.

Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:No signature (1235 files)

E: Verification failed

Installation aborted.

Any ideas?

Guest unchainedrssr
Thank you for your reply. Everything goes well up to the point where I attempt to flash my custom ROM. My phone displays the following errors:

Build : RA-nexus-v1.7.0.1

Install : update.zip ?

Press Trackball to confirm,

any other key to abort.

Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:No signature (1235 files)

E: Verification failed

Installation aborted.

Any ideas?

Before you install any ROM, you should always check the md5sum to make sure the file was not corrupted. You can download an application for windows to check it here. http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/

Mac here. http://llmd5sum.software.informer.com/ (I'm a pc so I haven't tried this one. Shop around if you need to.)

Make sure you have the correct radio for Froyo based ROMs.

You can get the correct radio and a vanilla FRF91 and root.zip here (all of these have to be flashed in a specific order without rebooting so read the steps carefully) http://tinyurl.com/2bdl58w.

Fastboot may be available soon, but I don't think that has anything to do with what is going on with your phone. It sounds like a bad .zip.

If you lose your recovery after you reboot, you will have to repeat the steps to to flash it in fastboot.

Keep trying, reading, and learning! Post your experiences (success or failures) for all to read and learn from. Good luck and have fun with it. :)

Guest Vizag Dude

Hello MoDaCo,

I am new here. I recently got a Nexus One for T-Mobile USA. I wanted to root the device to load custom ROMs. But I am not able to do that. I have tried a lot of things from here and even from XDA.

I am on Stock Nexus One that is not rooted and with the Stock ROM FRF91.

On XDA I have seen a thread where it says by flashing passimg.zip from the SD card, I can downgrade to a lower stock firmware than the FRF91, but I was not able to downgrade.

Is there anyway I can get the phone rooted and get your Desire ROM on my device? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I a Win Mobile user for a while and recently came to the Android world, so things are looking a lot different in the flashing Custom ROMs. I am doing a lot of reading and stuff, but I guess the first thing is to Root my device which has become impossible.

Thanks for all your help.

Guest sonicjuice
Paul

I've apparently got a Google 'Holiday' developer phone running build ERD56C.

Am I safe to use the ERD79 version of SUPERBOOT?

cheers, Thomas

p.s. PM'd you about this phone in relation to another thread...

Anybody know whether I'm safe to use the ERD79 version of Superboot with stock build ERD56C?

Guest apratomo
Added FRF91 superboot.

P

could you fix the link please. it's not available on both.

well actually i can download the file from mediafire but it's only 692B (mediafire report this, so not my internet faults),

and it's failed to open

Guest apratomo

Same question. Would it replace my former superboot?

As I tried earlier superboot for frf83 but it wasn't working.

I'm hoping that frf91 superboot would fix this.

Guest apratomo
could you fix the link please. it's not available on both.

well actually i can download the file from mediafire but it's only 692B (mediafire report this, so not my internet faults),

and it's failed to open

nvm, it's working on mirror link now.

thanks a lot for your efforts Paul, now I'm rooted on FRF91

Hoah!