Windows Mobile 6.5 is out for the i617

Guest jznomoney

• 5 weeks later...
Guest PrinceDwi
Will this work on i616? is it the same hardware/device?

Thanks!!

I am contacting the creator of this rom, py8, whether or not it will be compatible with the i616 or not. I know technically they are similar hardware, but I wouldn't risk flashing it until I get response from him. =) Hopefully his response will be positive and in your favor BENiii!

I am contacting the creator of this rom, py8, whether or not it will be compatible with the i616 or not. I know technically they are similar hardware, but I wouldn't risk flashing it until I get response from him. =) Hopefully his response will be positive and in your favor BENiii!

I replaced my screen a month ago and I know the hardware says i617 on the inside, im just not sure what the differences are.

Guest PrinceDwi
I replaced my screen a month ago and I know the hardware says i617 on the inside, im just not sure what the differences are.

The i616 just removes support for UTMS 2100 mhz band, which means it does not have bands compatible for 3g use in Europe. The i617 has UTMS 850 mhz, 1900 mhz, and 2100 mhz. I know that the samsung on py8's native forum shows a subsection related to the i616/i617. I personally just would not take the risk just yet. If you do take the risk, it is your sole responsibility and I cannot make any guarantees as of right now. If it works, then I'll be sure to note that on my forum posts.

Guest PrinceDwi
The i616 just removes support for UTMS 2100 mhz band, which means it does not have bands compatible for 3g use in Europe. The i617 has UTMS 850 mhz, 1900 mhz, and 2100 mhz. I know that the samsung on py8's native forum shows a subsection related to the i616/i617. I personally just would not take the risk just yet. If you do take the risk, it is your sole responsibility and I cannot make any guarantees as of right now. If it works, then I'll be sure to note that on my forum posts.

It's confirmed that this rom will indeed work with the i616, py8 clarified that with me today. So go ahead and flash away =)

Thanks! ill try it tomorrow and ill let you know how it goes.

could you please post a link for instructions on how to flash I had trouble finding good instructions.

also, is it possible to do this from a Mac? if not I have access to a pc.

THanks alot!

BENiii

Guest zemoffm

First off, great rom. Its cool having WM6.5 on my blackjack 2.

Two issues though:

1. Windows Marketplace still thinks this is a WM 6.1 phone. How can this be fixed? I only get like 40 apps... where I want the full 6.5 list!

2. Windows MyPhone causes the internet connection to die. Literally, once I run MyPhone, I can't access any internet sites. If I restart and don't run it, I can use internet fine and everything works as planned. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a post referencing issues using Exchange Server with 6.5 on a Jack (i637) and so now I am a little worried before taking plunge.

I am a total newb to changing ROMs, so can some reference or advise as to best way to prep for easiest switchback to 6.1 should 6.5 not work out for me? Is there a back-up or memory imager I can use to do that?

Basically, I want to do three things:

1. Run Flash (so I can Stream FM Radio from Internet and I cannot get that to work or find a suitable app on 6.1)

2. Occasionally Tether via ICS on AT&T network (I have this working with a hack on 6.1 using MEdia Net unlimited plan)

3. Connect to my job's MS Exchange server for email and calendar (this currently works on 6.1)

It would be nice if I could wireless connect to my home network and swap MP3s, too, but I do not think that is possible with hardware on the phone right?