No ADB & No SD

Guest Pawnda

Guest Pawnda

Well... i just checked, and everything is back to normal, including the recovery image (Boot with HOME pressed)

So it should be safe to return it to the store? i have to get a new headset anyways... the buttons on the headset i got with the phone doesent work anymore, and i only have sound in one side...

Guest pulser

So long as the ruu you flashed was the one your phone shipped with, then I reckon so. Just remember, you know nothing other than what an average user would (eg. I can't access any of the stuff in the phones memory card, but I tried another one and it still was broken should be fine, fir example)

Well... i bought the phone 3rd of september.

But i have updated it since.

So its not the exact same version as the one i got with the phone.

But its propably fine... as long as it is an official update.

Well... i bought the phone 3rd of september.

But i have updated it since.

So its not the exact same version as the one i got with the phone.

But its propably fine... as long as it is an official update.

Yup. So long as it's official, they'll presume you just used the official RUU to do so (which you did do, of course :)). I'd just go ahead and take it back.

Fine :)

Do you have any idea if they are gonna try and fix it? or will they just give me a new one?

No idea, unfortunately. It would depend on where you take it (best option is the store you bought it from), and also what it's like in Denmark for these kinds of things...

In the UK, it depends, but they might try a repair. It really depends on the store.

One thing you should do is find out about your consumer rights with this regard. For example, in the UK, any action has to be within a 'reasonable time', and shouldn't be inconvenient to the customer. You could easily argue that a repair of more than a week or so would be unreasonable for a device we use daily, and that it would be inconvenient to be without it. You tend to get on better if you have it on contract here, but I don't know what it's like where you are.

I seem to have managed to get myself into this very same situation. It happened when I flashed 3.1 on top of 3.0.. Symptoms are:

- Sometimes restarts during boot

- ADB no longer works

- The sdcard is no longer detected

- HTC Sync does not see the phone

So it seems like a similar situation to that of Pawnda, except I do have a working fastboot (1.76.004).

Tried:

.$ /fastboot -c "board_hero.disable_uart3=0 board_hero.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_hero.disable_sdcard=0 no_console_suspend=1 console=null" boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img 

downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY

booting... OKAY
Boots the recovery over usb fine, but adb is still not able to find the phone:
$ ./adb devices* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

List of devices attached 

$
However, fastboot does:
$ ./fastboot devices

************	fastboot
Booting like this the recovery rom was sort of able to access the sd card, e.g it would find update zips on it, find my nandroid backups etc. but would also complain of not being able to access it and doing an actual restore simply went on forever with no result. I also tried repartitioning the original 2GB sdcard, the recovery said "ok", but when I mount it in my sdcard reader I can see it didn't really format it at all.. I do however notice something else strange. I have files like this on both sdcards now:
-rwxrwxrwx  1 xxxx  staff	667519 Jan 10 20:14 qxdm_20100115_201333_1.dm

-rwxrwxrwx  1 xxxx  staff   1136131 Jan 10 20:16 qxdm_20100115_201501_1.dm

As most of this thread seems to resolve around getting a working fastboot, I'm not 100% sure how I should proceed (combined with being slightly worried I'd do the wrong thing and loose recovery/fastboot :) ). Should I try to manually flash the ROM from the RUU using the fastboot method outlined earlier in the thread? Any tips greatly appreciated!

I seem to have managed to get myself into this very same situation. It happened when I flashed 3.1 on top of 3.0.. Symptoms are:

- Sometimes restarts during boot

- ADB no longer works

- The sdcard is no longer detected

- HTC Sync does not see the phone

So it seems like a similar situation to that of Pawnda, except I do have a working fastboot (1.76.004).

Tried:

.$ /fastboot -c "board_hero.disable_uart3=0 board_hero.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_hero.disable_sdcard=0 no_console_suspend=1 console=null" boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img 

downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY

booting... OKAY
Boots the recovery over usb fine, but adb is still not able to find the phone:
$ ./adb devices* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

List of devices attached 

$
However, fastboot does:
$ ./fastboot devices

************	fastboot
Booting like this the recovery rom was sort of able to access the sd card, e.g it would find update zips on it, find my nandroid backups etc. but would also complain of not being able to access it and doing an actual restore simply went on forever with no result. I also tried repartitioning the original 2GB sdcard, the recovery said "ok", but when I mount it in my sdcard reader I can see it didn't really format it at all.. I do however notice something else strange. I have files like this on both sdcards now:
-rwxrwxrwx  1 xxxx  staff	667519 Jan 10 20:14 qxdm_20100115_201333_1.dm

-rwxrwxrwx  1 xxxx  staff   1136131 Jan 10 20:16 qxdm_20100115_201501_1.dm

As most of this thread seems to resolve around getting a working fastboot, I'm not 100% sure how I should proceed (combined with being slightly worried I'd do the wrong thing and loose recovery/fastboot :) ). Should I try to manually flash the ROM from the RUU using the fastboot method outlined earlier in the thread? Any tips greatly appreciated!

Did you get the directory listing from your PC, or from adb shell? Just as that whole 'staff' thing looks interesting, as that would be the user name of the 'owner'.

As for the issue, try searching the Hero forum for HEROIMG.ZIP (I posted a couple of things about how to use it recently). If you try that, you can do what is essentially an RUU, using an official HTC-approved method with a stock RUU's internal zip file. I don't think that will fix it for you, but it would put it into a condition you could return the phone in (stock ROM etc.)

Did you get the directory listing from your PC, or from adb shell? Just as that whole 'staff' thing looks interesting, as that would be the user name of the 'owner'.

As for the issue, try searching the Hero forum for HEROIMG.ZIP (I posted a couple of things about how to use it recently). If you try that, you can do what is essentially an RUU, using an official HTC-approved method with a stock RUU's internal zip file. I don't think that will fix it for you, but it would put it into a condition you could return the phone in (stock ROM etc.)

The listing is from my Mac with the sdcard in a reader, hence the staff group. :)

I'll give that a shot then, I guess I might not have any other choice than sending it in.. Slightly worried I'll get it back with the new hboot :) Thanks though!

The listing is from my Mac with the sdcard in a reader, hence the staff group. :)

I'll give that a shot then, I guess I might not have any other choice than sending it in.. Slightly worried I'll get it back with the new hboot :) Thanks though!

Hboot can be flashed without too much bother :)

You just root using flashrec or downgrade with gold card. If you downgrade, put it down to the oldest stock hero ruu you can find. That will give you old, unlocked hboot.

Failing that, there's a discussion about this very issue of getting old hboot back on either this forum or xda-dev.

Hth

Hboot can be flashed without too much bother :)

You just root using flashrec or downgrade with gold card. If you downgrade, put it down to the oldest stock hero ruu you can find. That will give you old, unlocked hboot.

Ah. Good to know. Do you think there's any point in trying the gold card trick for me? I can't quite tell from the thread whether it's been fully/succesfully attempted. Assuming the boot args (if that's indeed the root problem) are stored in there..

Ah. Good to know. Do you think there's any point in trying the gold card trick for me? I can't quite tell from the thread whether it's been fully/succesfully attempted. Assuming the boot args (if that's indeed the root problem) are stored in there..

Give my big long fastboot string a shot, since your hboot is unlocked. Don't need a gold card for it- just a recent patched recovery to boot. If you get it to boot, try adb into that fast booted image. That should indicate if it has helped. Or just try to do an update.zip to see if it reads SD card

Tried it and sadly it still didn't work.. would detect the card, but any attempt to read or write to it seemed to just freeze. Flashed the original ROM via fastboot, and going to contact HTC to send it in now I guess. Thanks for trying to help though!

Thanks for trying to help though!

Seconded! I've gone through this whole rigmarole in the course of about 5 hours and now have a new handset shipping overnight to me. Totally surreal that it happens at all though.

Do we reckon it's some kind persistent ram/bios flag that gets set or just unreliable hardware somewhere along the line?

Edited by crashd

Seconded! I've gone through this whole rigmarole in the course of about 5 hours and now have a new handset shipping overnight to me. Totally surreal that it happens at all though.

Do we reckon it's some kind persistent ram/bios flag that gets set or just unreliable hardware somewhere along the line?

Don't think h/w is the issue. Else fastboot wouldn't work, and we wouldn't get errors in dmesg (or whatever it's called).

I checked the HTC service guidelines steps that would be followed for a 'repair' of this issue, and it would be a full 'motherboard replacement', so there's no indication as to what component causes this issue. Pity, as I hoped there might be a 'software hack' we could perform.

I still reckon there's some Non-Volatile memory on the phone that we don't know about, or don't know how to access. I would stab a guess at it being possibly where the IMEI is stored within memory, or thereabouts, as we all know IMEIs can be (illegally) changed if you can access the raw memory 'locations'. Perhaps similar to changing the ESN of a CDMA phone, since theirs are modifiable (saw it on another forum). But this is a bit out my depth, and my only contacts in the industry have nothing to do with smartphones, so I can't call on their knowledge either :) I guess you'd need to know someone at HTC anyway.

Anyone's relative/friend work at HTC in technical department by any chance? :)

I hope there is a software hack!

I'm kind of loathe to install custom ROMs on my new handset until we've gotten to the bottom of this (although I guess I wouldn't be able to participate then!) :)

I hope there is a software hack!

I'm kind of loathe to install custom ROMs on my new handset until we've gotten to the bottom of this (although I guess I wouldn't be able to participate then!) :)

Yeah. There might be an issue, since to do anything sensible, you need root, and the normal way to gain root (although not the only way) is to install a custom ROM.

I think we might need some input from an insider at HTC to get to the bottom of this one, as we've had some of the 'big' people in the community at XDA look at this before (I think) and I'm not aware of them getting anywhere... :)

I think we might need some input from an insider at HTC to get to the bottom of this one, as we've had some of the 'big' people in the community at XDA look at this before (I think) and I'm not aware of them getting anywhere... sad.gif

I spoke to HTC 'tech support' about this but they couldn't offer much up without my phone/IMEI which I don't currently have. They claimed they weren't aware of the issue but the guy was clearly 1st line support so probably wouldn't be.

:)

I spoke to HTC 'tech support' about this but they couldn't offer much up without my phone/IMEI which I don't currently have. They claimed they weren't aware of the issue but the guy was clearly 1st line support so probably wouldn't be.

:)

I'm sure goats guys further up the tree will know about it since I know of several returns for this very reason, and technical people should spot trends like that. :)

EDITED: fixed nice type, so I left it strikethrough for all to laugh at me :) goats lol...

Edited by pulser

I'm sure goats further up the tree will know about it since I know of several returns for this very reason, and technical people should spot trends like that. :)

Agreed! My old HTC is winging it's way back to tech support and my new shiny handset is currently being updated. It's sooo slow compared to Modaco/tek kernel though. Makes me sad to think i'll have to wait for the "official" htc 2.1 update before I get new OS now :)

Agreed! My old HTC is winging it's way back to tech support and my new shiny handset is currently being updated. It's sooo slow compared to Modaco/tek kernel though. Makes me sad to think i'll have to wait for the "official" htc 2.1 update before I get new OS now :)

???

I'm a wee bit confused here. Are you saying you've got your new phone, but somehow can't put MCR on it? Or have I missed the point (as usual :))?

But yeah, anything stock is miles slower than Paul's/Tek

I'm a wee bit confused here. Are you saying you've got your new phone, but somehow can't put MCR on it? Or have I missed the point (as usual :))?

Not at all, I haven't tried! I'm loath to root and change the bootloader on this one as, small though the chance may be, it could be part of this process that is causing the issues (or rather, more likely to be a mix of the things we do with our handsets with more powerful ROMs :)

Not at all, I haven't tried! I'm loath to root and change the bootloader on this one as, small though the chance may be, it could be part of this process that is causing the issues (or rather, more likely to be a mix of the things we do with our handsets with more powerful ROMs :)

Hmmm. Fair point. I get you now. :) There are ways to do the process without flashing the boot/fastboot bit, but it's still a risk, and maybe not one you want to take.

If you did want to get back to MCR, I reckon the goldcard method is safest (uses an official RUU etc.)

Anyone who has 'bricked' their USB/SD wanting to share how they 'rooted' and 'custom ROM'd' their phone. If needed, I could start a poll and try and see how widespread this issue is...

I'm thinking along the lines of

Q1) Have you experienced the issue of USB/SD no longer working (not fixable by reflashing images etc)? Yes/No

Q2) If so, had you rooted your phone Yes/No/Not Sure (:))

Q3) Did you have to send your phone back to HTC, or did you fix it yourself. If yourself, comment below with what you did too! Yes/No/Just kept the broken phone

Any ideas...

Hmmm. Fair point. I get you now. :) There are ways to do the process without flashing the boot/fastboot bit, but it's still a risk, and maybe not one you want to take.

If you did want to get back to MCR, I reckon the goldcard method is safest (uses an official RUU etc.)

What is the method using a goldcard? Do you patch the RUU?

Anyone who has 'bricked' their USB/SD wanting to share how they 'rooted' and 'custom ROM'd' their phone. If needed, I could start a poll and try and see how widespread this issue is...

I'm thinking along the lines of

Q1) Have you experienced the issue of USB/SD no longer working (not fixable by reflashing images etc)? Yes/No

Q2) If so, had you rooted your phone Yes/No/Not Sure (:))

Q3) Did you have to send your phone back to HTC, or did you fix it yourself. If yourself, comment below with what you did too! Yes/No/Just kept the broken phone

I think this poll is a great idea to try and gauge how many people have been affected. I'd wager a few people haven't even noticed (ie: they dont upload or download much from their phone via usb or dont constantly re-flash roms)