No ADB & No SD

Guest Pawnda

What is the method using a goldcard? Do you patch the RUU?

No need to patch the RUU. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=572683 on xda-dev. Essentially you install an older version of the stock operating system. If you install the really old 1.76 ROM (first one on this list http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=559622), you will get a version of the bootloader that allows fastboot. From there, you can fastboot the recovery image of your choice and use update.zip files as you please.

I use this method for my phone, since it came with fastboot capabilities out the box (got a version with the old software). So I have the stock recovery on the phone, but use

fastboot boot patchedrecoveryfilename.img

to get into my recovery.

If you don't know what fastboot is, read up on it (there's some good info on this forum and xda, just try a search). You will still end up flashing a custom ROM anyways through the update.zip method, but remember that even if you get this USB/SD issue, I've posted instructions elsewhere in this thread on how to extract HEROIMG.ZIP from an RUU and flash it manually using the 'volume down+power' method. So if you lose USB/SD, you can just do that (SD still works in fastboot, it seems) and return the phone in its original condition)

I think this poll is a great idea to try and gauge how many people have been affected. I'd wager a few people haven't even noticed (ie: they dont upload or download much from their phone via usb or dont constantly re-flash roms)

I'll make a poll right now in a new thread (didn't start this one so can't edit it)...

• 3 weeks later...
Finaly got my phone back! after almost a month xD

And everything works :D just gotta figure out how to get a recovery image on it now.

What version of SW did ya get on it?

I'm sure we can give you a hand getting some decent software onto it now...

Good to hear it's fixed! ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest Michael S

I think I had exactly the same problem and just solved it! So in case anyone of you is stuck in the same situation: It doesn't seem to be a hardware fault, and you can repair it using fastboot. Below I have described the way on how I could solve it, but naturally I did not try it again to see if it really works like this, or if I missed one step. Just contact me if you need more help...

Disclaimer: Feel free to follow my description, but I don't give any warranties. Just remember to be very careful!

Warning: You will loose all your data on the device (but you will happy that you can at least continue using it). But if you have made backups you don't need to worry anyway...

So, here is the problem as it appeared to me:

- After trying to flash a recovery image, the SD card was no longer found by the Hero handset. Also USB stopped working, so there was no ADB, even not in the recovery mode.

- After some analysis it turned out that the commandline had got a few settings which explain this behaviour. You can see them by booting the flash image via fastboot: fastboot oem boot (result contains the information " ...

INFOactive commandline: board_hero.disable_uart3=1 board_hero.us

INFOb_h2w_sw=1 board_hero.disable_sdcard=1 smisize=32 androidbo

..." etc.)

- However, it seems not possible to override these wrong settings while using "fastboot -c "board_hero.disable_sdcard=0 ..." etc.

So the goal obviously needs to be a changed commandline so sdcard and friends are no longer getting disabled on boot.

How to solve it:

It seems there is no easy way on solving the behaviour as there are various commands needed which only work on certain software versions. I did experiment with some "fastboot oem ..." commands and ended up with "fastboot oem enableqxdm 0" which will unset the "board_hero.disable_sdcard=1" parameter on the commandline.

However, since not all versions of the SPL support this option, you may need to upgrade your system to the official 2.73.405.5 firmware (filename: "HTC Hero RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe"). Update to this version using these steps:

- Enter Fastboot USB

- Reboot into a special mode by sending "fastboot oem rebootRUU"

- Next, erase the cache ("fastboot erase cache")

- Finally, install the zip image (use Google on how to extract rom.zip out of the firmware exe): "fastboot flash zip rom.zip"

So now the SD card is recognized again, but the USB port is still not working. In order to bring it back to live, I needed to run another special oem command: "fastboot oem eraseconfig". (I found about the switch using "fastboot oem ?" and thought that this may solve my problem, so I tried it out, and it worked!)

However, again this command was not available in the SPL I had installed before (HBOOT-1.76.2007 with S-ON), so another RUU upgrade was needed (this time I had to apply the rom.zip contained in "RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_1.76.405.1_R3_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe"). If I remember correctly, you cannot flash this version directly since it is actually a downgrade. I don't remember clearly how I managed to bring it up, either it was thanks to a Goldcard (I did experiment with that), or it was enough to patch the custom recovery image (see http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=292396).

So this brought me back to HBOOT-1.76.0003, from where I was able to apply a hacked HBOOT version called "update-hero-hboot-1.76.2007-signed.zip" (just install it via recovery image). After applying and rebooting, I finally ended up with HBOOT-1.76.2007 with S-OFF, which provides the needed "eraseconfig" command from above:

- Run "fastboot oem eraseconfig"

- Run "fastboot boot <your-recovery-image>"

- Update your favorite update.zip or use nandroid to recover a backup

I hope this helps anyone who is feeling pretty much lost with his device, just as I felt... I wish you good luck!

Update 2010/04/04: Added some more notes to the post.

Update 2010/05/09: Fixed link about patching the custom recovery image.

Edited by Michael S

Guest skhell

Michael S: I have an HTC Magic with almost the same problem you have:

- I can access the SD card

- Have access to fasboot

- Have no access to adb

- Have no access to USB/Mass storage

Here is the boot info on my HTC Magic:

SAPHIRE PVT 32B SHIP S-OFF H

HBOOT-1.33.2005 (SAPP10000)

CPLD-10

RADIO-2.22.23.02

I have already flashed an eng spl, I am running the amon_ra recovery image rom(RA-sapphire-v1.5.2G) and the latest Cyanogen Rom. I bought the phone from other guy and it already came like this, so I don't know what caused this.

Since I don't have the problem of accessing the SD Card and an S-OFF spl, do you think if I execute the

fastboot oem eraseconfig

and then simply boot into my Cyanogen Rom by simply rebooting the phone, could solve my USB problem?

Also, do you know what that fastboot command erases? Is there any chance of bricking the phone by issuing this command?

Edited by skhell

Guest Michael S

Hi,

I have already flashed an eng spl, I am running the amon_ra recovery image rom(RA-sapphire-v1.5.2G) and the latest Cyanogen Rom. I bought the phone from other guy and it already came like this, so I don't know what caused this.

Since I don't have the problem of accessing the SD Card and an S-OFF spl, do you think if I execute the

fastboot oem eraseconfig

and then simply boot into my Cyanogen Rom by simply rebooting the phone, could solve my USB problem?

Also, do you know what that fastboot command erases? Is there any chance of bricking the phone by issuing this command?

This sounds pretty much like the same problem that I had. Maybe you should run "fastboot oem boot" first to see the commandline which is currently used. Does it also mention something like "board_[...].disable_uart3=1"? If that is the case, then I would give it a try.

However, let me clarify again that I have absolutely no idea what the command is doing. I just googled after it once again and there is no reference on what "eraseconfig" does. It was just pure guessing, and obviously I hit the right option to solve my problem. And since then, my phone works really 100% again, so no side effects have appeared.

So I cannot give you any guarantee if it will work, but if I were in your situation, I would still try it out. Obviously you will loose your data, but if you have a backup at hand, this should be worth the fun...

Wish you good luck!

- michael

Guest skhell
Hi,

This sounds pretty much like the same problem that I had. Maybe you should run "fastboot oem boot" first to see the commandline which is currently used. Does it also mention something like "board_[...].disable_uart3=1"? If that is the case, then I would give it a try.

However, let me clarify again that I have absolutely no idea what the command is doing. I just googled after it once again and there is no reference on what "eraseconfig" does. It was just pure guessing, and obviously I hit the right option to solve my problem. And since then, my phone works really 100% again, so no side effects have appeared.

So I cannot give you any guarantee if it will work, but if I were in your situation, I would still try it out. Obviously you will loose your data, but if you have a backup at hand, this should be worth the fun...

Wish you good luck!

- michael

This is what shows up on mine when I run "fastboot oem boot"

INFOTAG:Ramdisk OK

INFOTAG:smi ok, size = 64

INFOTAG:hwid 0x1

INFOTAG:skuid 0x1E300

INFOTAG:hero panel = 0x0

INFOTAG:engineerid = 0x2

INFODevice CID is not super CID

INFOCID is VODAP304

INFOsetting.cid::VODAP304

INFOserial number: HT93xxxxxxx

INFOcommandline from head: no_console_suspend=1 console=null

INFOcommand line length =343

INFOactive commandline: board_sapphire.disable_uart3=0 board_sap

INFOphire.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_sapphire.disable_sdcard=0 smisize=6

INFO4 androidboot.baseband=2.22.23.02 androidboot.cid=VODAP304

INFOandroidboot.carrier=VODA-Spain androidboot.keycaps=qwerty an

INFOdroidboot.mode=normal androidboot.serialno=HT93xxxxxxxx andr

INFOoidboot.bootloader=1.33.2005 no_console_suspend=1 console=nu

INFOll

INFOPARTITIOM_NUM_MAX =6 Valid partition num=6

Edited by skhell

Guest skhell

Can you please run the following command "/fastboot oem readconfig" and post the results to compare to mine? Here is what shows up on mine:

... INFORead config

INFOindex:0x0, value:0x0

INFOindex:0x1, value:0x0

INFOindex:0x2, value:0x0

INFOindex:0x3, value:0x0

INFOindex:0x4, value:0x0

INFOindex:0x5, value:0x0

INFOindex:0x6, value:0x0

INFOindex:0x7, value:0x0

INFOindex:0x8, value:0x0

INFOindex:0x9, value:0x0

OKAY

Guest Michael S
Can you please run the following command "/fastboot oem readconfig" and post the results to compare to mine? Here is what shows up on mine:

... INFORead config

OKAY

I've got exactly the same output:

< waiting for device >

... INFORead config

OKAY

Guest Michael S
This is what shows up on mine when I run "fastboot oem boot"

INFOactive commandline: board_sapphire.disable_uart3=0 board_sap

INFOphire.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_sapphire.disable_sdcard=0 smisize=6

So this doesn't look like we're having the same problem. You can still try and see if it helps a thing, but I guess that your problem is different.

Guest skhell
So this doesn't look like we're having the same problem. You can still try and see if it helps a thing, but I guess that your problem is different.

Yeah, I guess, still :P, I think I will try to do the eraseconfig thing...

Guest Michael S
I have just done the "fastboot oem eraseconfig" and see no differences, I still can't use USB :P

Hmm. At least everything else is still working hopefully?

Well, let's go one step back then.

- Are you sure that the ROM isn't buggy? Try with some recovery image which includes ADB access...

- Could it be that the computer has a driver issue? Try at a different PC...

Guest skhell

Nope, its not the ROM, I am running the latest Cyanogenmod and have tried a ton of other roms, allways with the same problem. I am using the recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.6.2G.img recovery image, which have USB mass storage device capabilities, and the problem persists. I have also connected a frinends HTC Magic to my laptop using the same cable, connected to the same USB port, and it worked ok, so we can exclude the laptop, cable or rom...

I still have one last hope, over at xda, there is an original nbh file from Vodafone Spain, which actually is from where my phone was, I am not sure what the nbh file containts, what will it flash and even how to flash it, but I guess it will put the phone stock, so I might have luck with it, still, I will read about nbh files before flashing it.

Here is the link to the xda topic:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...p;highlight=nbh

• 1 month later...
Guest opius37

I'm pretty sure i'm having the same problem, howver mine never went as far as the sd card not being recognised. My USB connection is not recognised with my computer, i have a htc hero. However, the fastboot is recognised when i type fastboot devices my device does show up. Should i type fastboot oem eraseconfig ?

Thanks

Guest skhell
I'm pretty sure i'm having the same problem, howver mine never went as far as the sd card not being recognised. My USB connection is not recognised with my computer, i have a htc hero. However, the fastboot is recognised when i type fastboot devices my device does show up. Should i type fastboot oem eraseconfig ?

Thanks

Same as me, except I have an 32B HTC Magic. I have tried the fastboot oem eraseconfig with no luck

Guest opius37
Same as me, except I have an 32B HTC Magic. I have tried the fastboot oem eraseconfig with no luck

I've searched all over the net and it seems theres quite a lot of people with the same problem, I still haven't found an answer though :P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jjr44
I think I had exactly the same problem and just solved it! So in case anyone of you is stuck in the same situation: It doesn't seem to be a hardware fault, and you can repair it using fastboot. Below I have described the way on how I could solve it, but naturally I did not try it again to see if it really works like this, or if I missed one step. Just contact me if you need more help...

Disclaimer: Feel free to follow my description, but I don't give any warranties. Just remember to be very careful!

Warning: You will loose all your data on the device (but you will happy that you can at least continue using it). But if you have made backups you don't need to worry anyway...

- After trying to flash a recovery image, the SD card was no longer found by the Hero handset. Also USB stopped working, so there was no ADB, even not in the recovery mode.

- After some analysis it turned out that the commandline had got a few settings which explain this behaviour. You can see them by booting the flash image via fastboot: fastboot oem boot (result contains the information " ...

..." etc.)

- However, it seems not possible to override these wrong settings while using "fastboot -c "board_hero.disable_sdcard=0 ..." etc.

So the goal obviously needs to be a changed commandline so sdcard and friends are no longer getting disabled on boot.

How to solve it:

It seems there is no easy way on solving the behaviour as there are various commands needed which only work on certain software versions. I did experiment with some "fastboot oem ..." commands and ended up with "fastboot oem enableqxdm 0" which will unset the "board_hero.disable_sdcard=1" parameter on the commandline.

However, since not all versions of the SPL support this option, you may need to upgrade your system to the official 2.73.405.5 firmware (filename: "HTC Hero RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe"). Update to this version using these steps:

- Enter Fastboot USB

- Finally, install the zip image (use Google on how to extract rom.zip out of the firmware exe): "fastboot flash zip rom.zip"

So now the SD card is recognized again, but the USB port is still not working. In order to bring it back to live, I needed to run another special oem command: "fastboot oem eraseconfig". (I found about the switch using "fastboot oem ?" and thought that this may solve my problem, so I tried it out, and it worked!)

However, again this command was not available in the SPL I had installed before (HBOOT-1.76.2007 with S-ON), so another RUU upgrade was needed (this time I had to apply the rom.zip contained in "RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_1.76.405.1_R3_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe"). If I remember correctly, you cannot flash this version directly since it is actually a downgrade. I don't remember clearly how I managed to bring it up, either it was thanks to a Goldcard (I did experiment with that), or it was enough to patch the custom recovery image (see http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...owtopic-292396/).

So this brought me back to HBOOT-1.76.0003, from where I was able to apply a hacked HBOOT version called "update-hero-hboot-1.76.2007-signed.zip" (just install it via recovery image). After applying and rebooting, I finally ended up with HBOOT-1.76.2007 with S-OFF, which provides the needed "eraseconfig" command from above:

I hope this helps anyone who is feeling pretty much lost with his device, just as I felt... I wish you good luck!

dont no how to extract rom.zip out of the firmware exe can you help cant find it on Google thanks

Guest Michael S
dont no how to extract rom.zip out of the firmware exe can you help cant find it on Google thanks

Download the firmware exe and try installing it (but don't complete the setup). Then go to your temp folder and search for rom.zip inside. Copy the file away and cancel the installation procedure.

• 2 months later...
Guest mike enjoys android

..." etc.)

How to solve it:

- Enter Fastboot USB

However, again this command was not available in the SPL I had installed before (HBOOT-1.76.2007 with S-ON), so another RUU upgrade was needed (this time I had to apply the rom.zip contained in "RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_1.76.405.1_R3_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe"). If I remember correctly, you cannot flash this version directly since it is actually a downgrade. I don't remember clearly how I managed to bring it up, either it was thanks to a Goldcard (I did experiment with that), or it was enough to patch the custom recovery image (see http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=292396).

Hi guys

I still got no USB Mass Storage and no ADB. How can i downgrade HBoot without ADB?

Guest mike enjoys android
Hi Mike,

Where did you get stuck in the guide?

I've managed to get the goldcard and patch the modified hboot.

the command - Run "fastboot oem eraseconfig" was succeed.

But still no ADB & Mass Storage.