Voice recognition - Problems with UK accent

Guest phillavelle

Guest phillavelle

Just throwing this one out there but wondering how people in the UK are getting on with the text-to-speech function.

I have an English accent and no matter what I do (change it from American to British in the menu, change it from slow to fast and everything in between), it just is terrible at figuring out what I am saying.

It seems a lot better when I am doing a quick internet search as I figure it then tried to match what I've said to other internet searches on Google's servers so that works ok. But when it comes to dictating text in an email or a text message, forget it. It just can't figure out a word of what I'm saying which is annoying because this is the feature I would use mostly.

In the menu options, there is an option to install a language setting but on my N1, that's just greyed out so I can't click on it..

Wondered if any other Brits are having the same problems and what they're doing to get it working.

(Incidentally, I did switch it back to American English, then spoke in a fake - and terrible quality - US accent and it was a lot more responsive but I feel like a bit of a buerk doing this!!)

lol

You know what i noticed the same thing, the search function for me is nearly 99% accurate, to the point its all ill use for search now.

However when going to use the voice to text feature for SMS its near enough useless.

I dont have a strong accent either, god help the northerners who try and use this feature!

lol

You know what i noticed the same thing, the search function for me is nearly 99% accurate, to the point its all ill use for search now.

However when going to use the voice to text feature for SMS its near enough useless.

I dont have a strong accent either, god help the northerners who try and use this feature!

You leave us alone up north, It'll perfectly understand when I ask it to direct me t'chippy on't t'internet

Guest Amdathlonuk
You leave us alone up north, It'll perfectly understand when I ask it to direct me t'chippy on't t'internet

Why aye man, I'd like a canny bag 'o Tudor........

:)

Guest Mantisen
Guys, i am Scottish and it works fine for me!

Sounds nice, even in writing text messages and so on? If so I might be able to use the voice recogniction with my sub par english pronunciation :)

Btw, does Scottish really count as english? Can't make out what scottish people are talking about when they're drunk B)

Edited by Mantisen

Guest Sofakingwhat
Sounds nice, even in writing text messages and so on? If so I might be able to use the voice recogniction with my sub par english pronunciation B)

Btw, does Scottish really count as english? Can't make out what scottish people are talking about when they're drunk ;)

Well, being Scottish, my English could also be classed as sub par so if it works for me then i guess it could work for anyone.

I can't make out what Scottish people are saying when they are drunk, and that includes myself :)