• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Voice recognition - Problems with UK accent

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Just throwing this one out there but wondering how people in the UK are getting on with the text-to-speech function.

I have an English accent and no matter what I do (change it from American to British in the menu, change it from slow to fast and everything in between), it just is terrible at figuring out what I am saying.

It seems a lot better when I am doing a quick internet search as I figure it then tried to match what I've said to other internet searches on Google's servers so that works ok. But when it comes to dictating text in an email or a text message, forget it. It just can't figure out a word of what I'm saying which is annoying because this is the feature I would use mostly.

In the menu options, there is an option to install a language setting but on my N1, that's just greyed out so I can't click on it..

Wondered if any other Brits are having the same problems and what they're doing to get it working.

(Incidentally, I did switch it back to American English, then spoke in a fake - and terrible quality - US accent and it was a lot more responsive but I feel like a bit of a buerk doing this!!)

Posted

lol

You know what i noticed the same thing, the search function for me is nearly 99% accurate, to the point its all ill use for search now.

However when going to use the voice to text feature for SMS its near enough useless.

I dont have a strong accent either, god help the northerners who try and use this feature!

Posted

lol

You know what i noticed the same thing, the search function for me is nearly 99% accurate, to the point its all ill use for search now.

However when going to use the voice to text feature for SMS its near enough useless.

I dont have a strong accent either, god help the northerners who try and use this feature!

You leave us alone up north, It'll perfectly understand when I ask it to direct me t'chippy on't t'internet

Posted

You leave us alone up north, It'll perfectly understand when I ask it to direct me t'chippy on't t'internet

Why aye man, I'd like a canny bag 'o Tudor........

:)

Posted

Guys, i am Scottish and it works fine for me!

Posted (edited)

Guys, i am Scottish and it works fine for me!

Sounds nice, even in writing text messages and so on? If so I might be able to use the voice recogniction with my sub par english pronunciation :)

Btw, does Scottish really count as english? Can't make out what scottish people are talking about when they're drunk B)

Edited by Mantisen

Posted

Sounds nice, even in writing text messages and so on? If so I might be able to use the voice recogniction with my sub par english pronunciation B)

Btw, does Scottish really count as english? Can't make out what scottish people are talking about when they're drunk ;)

Well, being Scottish, my English could also be classed as sub par so if it works for me then i guess it could work for anyone.

I can't make out what Scottish people are saying when they are drunk, and that includes myself :)