linux tools coming to MCR

Guest freeasabeer

Cool. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Do you mind sharing what you did To bb?

Perhaps we should just put Googles nameservers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) into resolv.conf.

Good night

Niki

Bit of a silly question, I believe, but if you put those nameservers into resolv.conf, would that make the phone use them for 'normal' browsing etc, over 3G connection? I have been wanting to do this for a while, as T-Mobile's are a bit sluggish, but not as bad recently. I found other DNS servers (like google) I can ping a lot faster than theirs.

If so, do I just need to pop in the modified busybox that reads the resolv.conf file?

If not, any ideas about how to 'setprop' them and then 'force' them to not be changed by DHCP. I can get them temporarily, but they change back if the connection drops even momentarily :)

Cheers

Edited by pulser

No, not at all. Busybox world and android applications world are 2 separate worlds.

I suspected that :)

I'm trying to figure out where in the Android/Linux system the actual 3G connection takes place, and if there are any scripts used to make the connection. Any ideas if there is anything in Linux that would be making the connection (I'm guessing something to do with /dev/rmnet0)

Thanks for confirming though.

I've updated this post with my resolv.conf friendly busybox. I realize now I didn't uploaded it at the time of writing the post.

It also includes latest lscolors and crond config updates from Paul.

Works like a charm over here. What did you do?

Thanks

niki

You won't believe me: I just made sure that libresolv gets linked in while building the static binary :)

Ahhh I see, three deep bows in your direction. :)

Paul, may we have this bb in 3.2, please?

Regards

Niki

This will find all configured nameservers:

getprop | grep dns | sed -n -e 's/\[.*\]: \[\([0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\)\]/nameserver \1/ p' | sort -u

Guest heyodee
If somebody needs it, I compiled for myself at the beginning of my android experience :) nmap, netcat, joe, hts/htc, kismet, aircrack, wireless-tools,gpsd.. as static compiled binaries. For all the non daily use stuff I'm using debian in a chroot environment (bootdeb) much more flexible.

Cool nifty linux apps, please share

Ahhh I see, three deep bows in your direction. :)

Paul, may we have this bb in 3.2, please?

Regards

Niki

I'm refreshing the 3.2 Beta today or tomorrow so yes, i'll add it in! :)

P

Guest freeasabeer

screen has been updated ! See changelog in the second post of this topic.

I've seen a nasty bug in mc that lead to a crash. I hope to be able to quickly provide a fix for this.

Edited by freeasabeer

Guest heyodee
screen has been updated ! See changelog in the second post of this topic.

I've seen a nasty bug in mc that lead to a crash. I hope to be able to quickly provide a fix for this.

Thanks for the update chief

Guest heyodee
You can find htop in the first post of this topic... However I couldn't use the Fn keys...

One can use Capital S to reach menu, but there is little one can do

Space bar to select or deselect

q -> to save

included htoprc.txt file which should be renamed .htoprc and also should be located wherever the $HOME is set to

it will display PID,USER,CPU%,MEM%,COMMAND

htoprc.txt

Guest heyodee
...these linux tools are mainly intended for geeks that like top play with the internals of their Hero from a shell (either adb shell, ssh connection, or a terminal application). Regular users won't find any benefit by installing these tools: they won't make their hero faster or work better, they will just increase the ROM memory consumption.

Here is pstree, you can add to the list

pstree.zip

Edited by heyodee

Guest intronauta
One can use Capital S to reach menu, but there is little one can do

Space bar to select or deselect

q -> to save

included htoprc.txt file which should be renamed .htoprc and also should be located wherever the $HOME is set to

it will display PID,USER,CPU%,MEM%,COMMAND

Cyanogen include htop in Nexus1 CM. Someone can check if keys are remapped?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=623496