"My next phone would be a...if..."

Guest arirang

Guest arirang

"[OS/make/model] if [HW/SW feature] was added/removed/improved"

in no particle order, and in no way complete.

1. My next phone would be an iphone if multitasking, removable storage, field-replaceable battery, recognize as USB storage were added.

2. My next phone would be a blackberry tour if browser was overhauled to be more desktop-like and not proxied to BIS.

3. My next phone would be a droid if android OS versions weren't so fragmented, and single sign-on services tied to Google Apps [mail, calendar, GV, contacts, etc] were easy to sync like WinMo's activesync+google sync

4. My next phone would be an omnia 2 if 50% of its RAM weren't already reserved/dedicated for background services.

to prevent a flame war, if a HW/SW feature [or lack thereof] is incorrect/inaccurate then pls cite your source [ie--link it].

i hope this topic will serve as an aggregation of our tech savvy and experience, and evolve as the devices/OS evolve, and help members make informed consumer decisions on these currently expensive devices.

Edited by arirang

Guest wdrake_98

I have too 100% agree on the IPhone. All those reasons are EXACTLY why I haven't gotten one.

I mean...the device is just too expensive, for just 1 part to fail and your whole world is ruined.

Guest arirang
Android user-survey [includes features needed]. why i'll wait? OS fragmentation...device X runs version X, but cannot upgrade to version Y which is running on device Y, device Y runs version Y, but cannot upgrade to version Z running on device Z, and so on, and so on. Edited by arirang

Guest br91655

Tomorrow I'll be getting a new phone but I keep flopping between the Imagio, the 02, and the Droid. If Droid supported the SlingPlayer then it would be a Droid. I just haven't decided if I want the Droid enough to live without the SlingPlayer app.

Guest big_mike_2k6

i myself upgraded to the droid from the omnia. a phone is only good for u if it does what u need and want it to do. for some its harder because features they like might be on one phone and not another so it makes things a little tougher. as for me the droid is just what i want it to be but for others its not.

Guest Lisbian08
i myself upgraded to the droid from the omnia. a phone is only good for u if it does what u need and want it to do. for some its harder because features they like might be on one phone and not another so it makes things a little tougher. as for me the droid is just what i want it to be but for others its not.

What did you like about the Droid vs the Omnia?

Guest TheDrizzle

I just picked up a used Droid Eris on ebay. I don't know if the digitizer went out on my Omnia, but the touch screen was pretty miserable to use, especially compared to the iPhone. But I am not ditching Verizon, so thats off the table for me. I was considering holding out for the Palm Pre (out on VZW in about 2 weeks) but decided on Android instead. Anyway, I can always do the ebay shuffle again and get something else down the line if I dislike the Eris.

Guest arirang
I just picked up a used Droid Eris on ebay. I don't know if the digitizer went out on my Omnia, but the touch screen was pretty miserable to use, especially compared to the iPhone. But I am not ditching Verizon, so thats off the table for me. I was considering holding out for the Palm Pre (out on VZW in about 2 weeks) but decided on Android instead. Anyway, I can always do the ebay shuffle again and get something else down the line if I dislike the Eris.

to stay on topic--best effort, at least--what swayed you from the Palm Pre? cold-hard facts and specs are always appreciated :)

Edited by arirang

Guest TheDrizzle
to stay on topic--best effort, at least--what swayed you from the Palm Pre? cold-hard facts and specs are always appreciated :)

Well to be totally honest it was a combination of impatience and miscalculation. Since I saw the Pre, I always thought it was neat device, and I was excited to hear last week that it was coming to Verizon. So I listed my Omnia on ebay and activated an old Moto Q to use a temporary phone until the Pre was released. Well after my Omnia sold, the old Q stopped making and receiving calls! So I was left with no phone, and I could not live another 3 weeks plus with no phone! The Eris was my top choice BEFORE the Pre was coming to Verizon, so I decided to just get one on eBay and be done with it. Anyway, if I don't end up liking the Eris, I can always sell it back on ebay, or get the Pre when my ne2 upgrade comes in September...

Guest big_mike_2k6
What did you like about the Droid vs the Omnia?

The speed of the phone is a huge difference and now I'm not constantly worrying about memory issues. I loved my omnia for the year I had it and I was worried about switching from windows since it was what I knew but I wanted to try something new and I'm glad I did

Guest arirang
Well to be totally honest it was a combination of impatience and miscalculation. Since I saw the Pre, I always thought it was neat device, and I was excited to hear last week that it was coming to Verizon. So I listed my Omnia on ebay and activated an old Moto Q to use a temporary phone until the Pre was released. Well after my Omnia sold, the old Q stopped making and receiving calls! So I was left with no phone, and I could not live another 3 weeks plus with no phone! The Eris was my top choice BEFORE the Pre was coming to Verizon, so I decided to just get one on eBay and be done with it. Anyway, if I don't end up liking the Eris, I can always sell it back on ebay, or get the Pre when my ne2 upgrade comes in September...

the eris is a good choice but simply didnt get as much an ad-blitz as the droid. it would be on my shortlist too.

Guest Lisbian08

The big drawback on the Droid Eris for me is the screen. I am not sure why HTC went with the 320x480 screen vice the 480x800 screen on the Imagio. I would like to have the Imagio with Android...lol.

Guest rfarrah

I was looking at phones today and I still have yet to find anything I think

I'd like better than my O1. Blackberry is out because I don't want everything (EVERYTHING!) funneled through Blackberry's servers. Android is still in its infancy. Even if it does look good, and does pretty things, it still has a way to go before it gets as user-friendly (read update-able, customizable) as WM. Palm Pre and it's OS was pretty impressive a year ago, but they've taken way too long to move forward - progress on that entire front seems very, very slow. Besides, the keyboard keys were just too small.

So, I sit here with my O1 and see nothing better out there. I like updating my ROM to the latest and fastest at a whim. My 5.0 MP camera with flash is still near the top of the competition's specs. GPS and phone work great and I can make it look and work almost any way I want. Free apps are easy to find. I can upgrade in less than 4 months, but I have yet to see a better phone out there....at least for now. :)

Guest arirang

I'd like better than my O1. Blackberry is out because I don't want everything (EVERYTHING!) funneled through Blackberry's servers. Android is still in its infancy. Even if it does look good, and does pretty things, it still has a way to go before it gets as user-friendly (read update-able, customizable) as WM. Palm Pre and it's OS was pretty impressive a year ago, but they've taken way too long to move forward - progress on that entire front seems very, very slow. Besides, the keyboard keys were just too small.

So, I sit here with my O1 and see nothing better out there. I like updating my ROM to the latest and fastest at a whim. My 5.0 MP camera with flash is still near the top of the competition's specs. GPS and phone work great and I can make it look and work almost any way I want. Free apps are easy to find. I can upgrade in less than 4 months, but I have yet to see a better phone out there....at least for now. :)

i agree the omnia I is still a peer even in the class of 2010 :) however; inevitably, it too will need to be replaced. so i ask you and in general, if it weren't for the BB heavy reliance on proxy servers would you then consider a BB?

Edited by arirang

Guest jmart518
I Wanted the imagio but with the memory running at 70 to 80 percent with nothing running threw me off. Had me highly dissapointed

I actually just jumped the omnia ship (well sort of, gave the omnia to my wife so I can still cook roms and play with it) and got the Imagio. It is a great phone, however it is a memory hog. There are a lot of fixes for it now to help the memory and mine constantly hangs around 60%. It also has great eye candy (TF3D)! Things will get a lot better once it gets unlocked and the flashing begins!

Guest big_mike_2k6

I'm glad a fix for the memory issues was found cuz the imagio is a great looking phone with tf3d. I seen some people saying to disable tf3d as a memory fix yea it helps but what's the point of having the beauty of tf3d if u can't run it because of of a memory leak. So its good to see you have yours running nice

Edited by big_mike_2k6

Guest DEValken

I'm not too concerned with the eye-candy, my biggest concern is the "all-in-oneness" factor. I can upgrade in 4 months, but like above, can't see anything to take the place of my 910.

Had you asked me this question before I found this site (and the chefs here) I would have picked the droid.

Had you asked before I read about the 50% mem loss on the O2- easy question.

But right now I think I will stay with what I have. I simply LOVE that fact I can grab my phone and do pretty much whatever I want to it. Or take it on the road and have my email, edit excel docs, listen to my 1000+ songs, find my way with iGO, create a wifi access point, edit databases, listen to Sirius, take great photos, watch movies, stream TV, and, ummmm...

Oh yeah- make a phone call!!!

And because I live in the sticks, (you pass bumf**k before you get here) Verizon is the only carrier with 3G coverage out here, so no ATT or Tmob. When VZ put a tower up out here at the request of emergency services, the locals actually had a RIBBON CUTTING CEREMONY! That's right, with lawn chairs and picnic baskets. Gotta luv it...

Guest arirang
a stylus for a touch-friendly, capacitive screen-empowered GUI? heresay! and for $28? all your money belong to us! however, let's face reality, a stylus is handy from handwriting recognition to poking around, and many will buy it AND love it, then LOSE it. a capacitive-equipped phone with an INTEGRATED stylus would catch my attention. until then, i'll stick with resistive and use my nails--i carry 10 with me at all time. Edited by arirang

Guest arirang

after reading iphone vs. BB posts and forums, i realized i'm neither an apps- nor communication-centric user--i'm an info-nympho [pictures, news, music, reviews, locations, etc.]. my next phone would be a device/OS which mines data in the shortest path and with the least resistance [be it clicks, taps, etc.]. moreover, a reliable connection/carrier to the info is a factor that cannot be ignored. the BB is offered by all major carrier so i have choice whereas the iphone isnt so i dont.

a google-centric phone should be the natural front-runner; however, its OS fragmentation is its achilles heel. keeping in mind your typical service contract is two years, it has gone from 1.5 to 1.6 to 2.0 to 2.01 to 2.1 in less than a year. if this trend continues, i could have an android phone with a whole lot things it DOESNT do compared to its latest version. how can i know the android phone i choose will survive this hyper-darwinian culling?

Edited by arirang

Guest Spirits Keeper

I am in the same situation. I have a ne2 coming up in the next couple of months and see nothing that I think I would like better than my very versatile O1. I may go with the O2 just for the AMOLED screen and swype keyboard. But I like my O1 the best of verizon's lineup right now.

Guest tedkord

My next phone would be an Omnia II i920, if chefs manage to crack the official update and make custom ROMs without all the Verizon bloat.

Otherwise, I could go with an android handset, if it had equal/better hardware, and if they get me a way to watch my SlingBox on it.

Well, my next phone will be the Omnia 2 i920 if... (same as above).

Or my next phone will be the Verizon Nexus One if this one improves on the problems reported with the GSM version.

Or my next phone will be the Verizon Imagio if there is a way to unlock the GSM side and use it with any SIM card, when traveling out of the states.

Must say that still love my Omnia1 for the reasons we all know.

Guest Lisbian08

My next phone might be a BB Tour 2 (Essex) if the new browser in BB OS 5.0 is better. I want a physical keyboard on my next phone. I am in agreement with problems and limitations of Android. My only other possibility is a TP2 from HTC.