Rom Dump/Build Application

Guest wes58

i think, topic name is misleading about CSC dumping.

I thought, somebody wrote utility to dump CSC from phone.

it should be named something like "Disassembling and Creating CSC".

Edited by sorg

Guest GTx-M.M

hi

when i dumped a rom i got a don't send dialog ( u know send report to microsoft ) the problem was with PKGtool.exe after it finished i got the folders like SYS ROM and dump etc.

then

i put my favorite programs and files in the rom then i Build it like u said let it as default don't check or uncheck just changed the name the options i pressed

Build the status like this

Please Wait ...

Error Opening .ROM\imageinfo.bin

( BuildOS Window came and pressed Play then wait to it done then closed it )

BuildOS exited.

(ExtReloc window came closed it directly )

ExtReloc exited.

notfound

imgfs-new.bin not Found

***Created File Finshed RO\JA1X0.nb0

Done... Check for Error Messages.

i realy have that JA1X0.nb0 in Finished ROM Folder

about the kitchen dir its in

(E:\O2 KITCHEN\Z_i8000kitchen)

now my question is it safe to flash my device or not

ur advice btw : i dumped it and it was ok same files and programs i added them but is there a solution for the errors

and thanks for the kitchen

Edited by GTx-M.M

hi

when i dumped a rom i got a don't send dialog ( u know send report to microsoft ) the problem was with PKGtool.exe after it finished i got the folders like SYS ROM and dump etc.

then

i put my favorite programs and files in the rom then i Build it like u said let it as default don't check or uncheck just changed the name the options i pressed

Please Wait ...

BuildOS exited.

ExtReloc exited.

notfound

imgfs-new.bin not Found

ur advice btw : i dumped it and it was ok same files and programs i added them but is there a solution for the errors

1. If you had a problem with PkgTool.exe, did it really split all the files in OEM and SYS folders. You should check what is there.

2. When you had an "Error opening .ROM\imageinfo.bin. You can check if the file imageinfo.bin is in SYS\.ROM\ folder.

3. If you run BuildOS, when it finishes, you can see in BuildOS if there were any errors (before you close it).

4. If you had an error "imagefs-new.bin not found it means that the file has not been created by imgsFromDump.exe.

5. I don't think the built ROM is complete, so don't use it.

That's why I am almost finished with the new version which has more error checking. If there is one error it will stop building ROM and have message "Building ROM failed". If you can wait a day of two I should have it then.

Looking at your path to the kitchen E:\O2 KITCHEN\Z_i8000kitchen, I can see one potencial problem. You have a space in the path O2 Kitchen. Try to remove the space and try again.

A brief explanation, why I think it may fail when you have a space in the path. The application used in the kitchen are Console based - osnbtool, imgfsToDump, imgfsFrom dump etc. To run them you specify command line parameters. Basically you open DOS window and type the command. For example to extract xip.bin from the .nb file command is like this "osnbtool.exe -d pda.nb 1 xip.bin". So, osnbtool has 4 parameters: -d, pda.nb, 1, xip.bin. If you put in place of pda.nb a path like yours E:\O2 Kitchen\Z_i8000kitchen\pda.nb", you can see that the space between O2 and Kitchen will split the parameter into two: E:\O2, Kitchen\Z_i8000kitchen\pda.nb. This will make 5 parameters in osnbtool command, which it can't process. It is looking for certain values for each parameter. The same applies to other programs. Unfortunately, those are programs that everybody uses. I will have a look if I can do something when I pass a path to those programs. But for now you can try to remove the space, or better still copy what's in your Z_i8000kitchen to O2KITCHEN - without a space.

i think, topic name is misleading about CSC dumping.

I thought, somebody wrote utility to dump CSC from phone.

it should be named something like "Disassembling and Creating CSC".

The same would apply to dumping ROM, but everybody calls rom dumping not disassembling. The commands in some of the tools are 'dump' not diassemble. So I kept with the same philosphy. Sorry if some people get confused.

When you first posted about your problems, you said that you converted your dump from the phone using rod's utility and you got your pda.nb0. Have you tried to flash the phone with this file?

Yes. I've tested the nb0 converted from rom_dump.bin. the flashing got no problem and same as activesync. i think we need more tester. to see whether this problem arose from me only...

The same would apply to dumping ROM, but everybody calls rom dumping not disassembling. The commands in some of the tools are 'dump' not diassemble. So I kept with the same philosphy. Sorry if some people get confused.

Dumping of ROM means copying ROM from phone. Dumping = Copying/Grabing and nothing else.

Word "dump" came to firmware scene from computer debuggers. There is long existing phrase "Memory Dump" used in debuggers/analysers. And this phrase means "copy of memory as is". So, in firmware terms it means copy of NAND ROM as is.

There is well known set of utilities called "itsutils" which helps to make dump of NAND ROM from most devices.

That's called ROM dumping.

What you are talking about is disassembling, unpacking.

So, you mess terms.

Edited by sorg

Dumping of ROM means copying ROM from phone. Dumping = Copying/Grabing and nothing else.

Word "dump" came to firmware scene from computer debuggers. There is long existing phrase "Memory Dump" used in debuggers/analysers. And this phrase means "copy of memory as is". So, in firmware terms it means copy of NAND ROM as is.

There is well known set of utilities called "itsutils" which helps to make dump of NAND ROM from most devices.

That's called ROM dumping.

What you are talking about is disassembling, unpacking.

So, you mess terms.

Sorry, I don't understand your problem. What is a big deal? I call it what I like it and I am not going to change it because it doesn't suit you. You read what is inside the thread if it is not what you are after just go away and read other threads. You will have a lot of work to change the titles on most of them. 

hi

then

Please Wait ...

BuildOS exited.

ExtReloc exited.

notfound

imgfs-new.bin not Found

I checked again, and I had a space in the path name and it worked ok. 

The problem with messages that you got occurs if you don't select work folder when you start romTool.exe - I will fix it. If you press 'Select Folder' and then 'build', you shouldn't get error message 'not found'.

I tried building the nb0 file using command line and then with my application (they both use the same programs for part of building) and I got the same results. So I am really not sure why you have problems with active sync?

I added version 1.2Beta to the first post. You may try this.

Edited by wes58

Guest GTx-M.M

when i changed the name of the folder i think it dumping the ROM succeed but the wired thing that PKGtool.exe stopped working window appeared again

then after i pressed build there was same errors first Error Opening .ROM\imageinfo.bin

Please Wait

BuildOS exited

ExtReloc exited

***Created File imgfs-new.bin

***Created File Finished ROM\pdaNew.nb0

all i wrote above was in the old version v1.1

in new version

when i pressed Build

Please Wait

BuildOS exited

ExtReloc exited

dump not Found

Error! ROM Building Failed .

Edited by GTx-M.M

Guest GTx-M.M
1. If you had a problem with PkgTool.exe, did it really split all the files in OEM and SYS folders. You should check what is there.

2. When you had an "Error opening .ROM\imageinfo.bin. You can check if the file imageinfo.bin is in SYS\.ROM\ folder.

3. If you run BuildOS, when it finishes, you can see in BuildOS if there were any errors (before you close it).

4. If you had an error "imagefs-new.bin not found it means that the file has not been created by imgsFromDump.exe.

5. I don't think the built ROM is complete, so don't use it.

That's why I am almost finished with the new version which has more error checking. If there is one error it will stop building ROM and have message "Building ROM failed". If you can wait a day of two I should have it then.

Looking at your path to the kitchen E:\O2 KITCHEN\Z_i8000kitchen, I can see one potencial problem. You have a space in the path O2 Kitchen. Try to remove the space and try again.

A brief explanation, why I think it may fail when you have a space in the path. The application used in the kitchen are Console based - osnbtool, imgfsToDump, imgfsFrom dump etc. To run them you specify command line parameters. Basically you open DOS window and type the command. For example to extract xip.bin from the .nb file command is like this "osnbtool.exe -d pda.nb 1 xip.bin". So, osnbtool has 4 parameters: -d, pda.nb, 1, xip.bin. If you put in place of pda.nb a path like yours E:\O2 Kitchen\Z_i8000kitchen\pda.nb", you can see that the space between O2 and Kitchen will split the parameter into two: E:\O2, Kitchen\Z_i8000kitchen\pda.nb. This will make 5 parameters in osnbtool command, which it can't process. It is looking for certain values for each parameter. The same applies to other programs. Unfortunately, those are programs that everybody uses. I will have a look if I can do something when I pass a path to those programs. But for now you can try to remove the space, or better still copy what's in your Z_i8000kitchen to O2KITCHEN - without a space.

1.Yes it did

2. No its in dump\.ROM ( there is no any .ROM in SYS )

3. of course no error i am not dumb i have experience in cooking with HTC Touch Diamond

"done" appears in status bar

4. ___

5. Yes sir what ever u say :)

log.txt in attachments

log.txt

Edited by GTx-M.M

Guest ronalgps

hey wes58

I HAVE SOME KINDA OF PROBLEM I AM TRYING TO MAKE 1 ROM JUST LIKE U SAY IN THE TEST WITH ME ALL COME OK NO ERROR IN BUILD ROM ALL IS OK IN THE END SAY DONE AND WHEN I GO TO Finished ROM THERE IS NOTHING

MY KITCHEN IS IN HARD DRIVER C:

THNK U

Edited by ronalgps

1.Yes it did

2. No its in dump\.ROM ( there is no any .ROM in SYS )

3. of course no error i am not dumb i have experience in cooking with HTC Touch Diamond

"done" appears in status bar

4. ___

5. Yes sir what ever u say :)

log.txt in attachments

To comment on your points

From what you write in point 2, saying that imgageinfo.bin is in dump (dump\.ROM\imageinfo.bin) and it isn't in \SYS it seems to me that pkgTool didn't work. When you dump imgfs.bin with imfsTodump.exe it dumps all the files/modules in the dump folder (and that's what you say you have (\.ROM in dump folder) pkgTool moves those files/folders to dump\OEM and dump\SYS (so .ROM\imageinfo.bin would be now in dump\sys\.rom\imageinfo.bin). I move those to folders SYS and OEM to the root folder of the kitchen. 

Re. 3 and 5. I never said you are dumb. I wanted to establish the facts because I don't have any of those problems. But if that's your attitude I am not going to bother to try to help. 

Re. 4. you didn't say anything. You should know where it should be, and check in \temp folder if imgfs-new.bin was there.

Guest GTx-M.M
Re. 4. you didn't say anything. You should know where it should be, and check in \temp folder if imgfs-new.bin was there.

well search didn't gave me any results :)

what do u suggest for PKGtool.exe issue

and thanks again

Edited by GTx-M.M

Guest bmarko82

pkgtool stopped working here also. Using Windows XP, net framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 installed, Visual C++ redist 2005 and 2008 installed too.

I do some experiments. If you make imgfs dump to modules, then run pkgtool manually, its working fine. What is the problem?

Edited by bmarko82

The only thing that you forgot to put is the path of your kitchen folder (which would be at the beginning of your log.txt). Can you post it.

C:\i8000kitchen

pkgtool stopped working here also. Using Windows XP, net framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 installed, Visual C++ redist 2005 and 2008 installed too.

I do some experiments. If you make imgfs dump to modules, then run pkgtool manually, its working fine. What is the problem?

The only reason I can think of is, if the path is not set correctly (by my application) to the dump folder where imgfs.bin was dumped.

The strange thing is that I tried today a few time on Windows 7 and XP and I didn't have a problem. I flashed to different roms on the phone modified latest from Secany and ported 6.5.5 and they both work. I will have to do more testing, but I am not sure how because it works for me. 

Can you try attached file it should display some messages before it starts pkgTool.exe. You should see something like this "1. Path >>", "2. Par >>" and "3. Exe >> ". If you could write down what text was in those lines.

romTool.exe

The only reason I can think of is, if the path is not set correctly (by my application) to the dump folder where imgfs.bin was dumped.

The strange thing is that I tried today a few time on Windows 7 and XP and I didn't have a problem. I flashed to different roms on the phone modified latest from Secany and ported 6.5.5 and they both work. I will have to do more testing, but I am not sure how because it works for me.

Can you try attached file it should display some messages before it starts pkgTool.exe. You should see something like this "1. Path >>", "2. Par >>" and "3. Exe >> ". If you could write down what text was in those lines.

I found this is the main problem:

When the Dump ROM is progressing, there is an errer notify windows (pkgtool.exe meeting an error to exit. We are sorry to ...) .

I close the errer windows ,

After Dump ROM is finished,

I found there is a dump folder where a folder(name: .ROM) and a file(name:88f892ce-7f79-4718-bfc0-388c86c721a7.dsm) existed.

Only the .ROM folder and .DSM file not moved to the SYS folder.

After I moved the .ROM foler and the .DSM file to the SYS folder manually,Then run Build Rom again,everything is OK.

post-526757-1264081985_thumb.jpg

If I make imgfs dump to modules, then run pkgtool manually. There is the runing log: (PKGTool.exe doesn't work fine)

[Core OS]

Windows Mobile-based Pocket PCs

[Versions]

SYS: 5.2.21883.5073

SYS: 5.2.0.5073

OEM: 5.2.0.5073

NET: 2.0.7045.0

[Language]

0804 - Chinese (People's Republic of China)

[DPI]

[Certificates]

CN=Microsoft Windows Mobile PCA, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US

CN=Samsung Electronics Co. CA - Samsung Root

[Missing Manifests]

45116509-e364-4775-9098-c25f0b1fbac2.dsm

d92a4f0a-378a-4482-8fd3-bd127a05e4de.dsm

73b84140-9d9d-3ed2-f5a5-3ddae45a1c85.dsm

723fb954-d931-4348-b672-82a188e587b5.dsm

3c0e4a75-7ea3-49cf-84e6-57285dc2a07f.dsm

f924d38b-0419-deaa-f151-ed8f0d511a07.dsm

Edited by pmomq

Wes, did you try to connect activesync on ur win7 after flashing? i did use your latest tool 1.2beta on another machine(winXP). just try dump and rebuild without making changes and give no error. but the same simdrom happen again...

Anyway your csc tool works like a charm. i'm using it to insert samsung today and dont need to reinstall it after flashing. congratz wes58..

Edited by kaplex

Guest bmarko82

Here is the results:

1. Path >> K:\i8000kitchen

2. Par >> dump

3. Exe >> tools\pkgtool.exe

Wes, did you try to connect activesync on ur win7 after flashing? i did use your latest tool 1.2beta on another machine(winXP). just try dump and rebuild without making changes and give no error. but the same simdrom happen again...

Anyway your csc tool works like a charm. i'm using it to insert samsung today and dont need to reinstall it after flashing. congratz wes58..

Yes I did use active sync and it works fine. That's what is strange, because to dump or build the rom, most of the work is done using the standard tools that are used to dump/build manually. I just move files in the correct places and split/combine files to get the final result. 

So in your case, just dumping and building the rom I use, osnbtool, imfstodumpxxx, pkgtool and then to build buildos, (extreloc), imgfsfromdump then combine the files and correct checksum and size and that's it. I don't change anything in the files except for imageinfo.bin in sys\.rom folder. Maybe this file is the problem? Just another question for you. Do you have the same problem with pkgtool where it comes with an error (windows message)?

I will do more testing on the weekend, but not sure what else I can try. Thanks for having patience and trying. 

Here is the results:

1. Path >> K:\i8000kitchen

2. Par >> dump

3. Exe >> tools\pkgtool.exe

Thanks, but that's is strange because everything looks like it should be. As I wrote in the post above I will do some more testing.

Yes I did use active sync and it works fine. That's what is strange, because to dump or build the rom, most of the work is done using the standard tools that are used to dump/build manually. I just move files in the correct places and split/combine files to get the final result. 

So in your case, just dumping and building the rom I use, osnbtool, imfstodumpxxx, pkgtool and then to build buildos, (extreloc), imgfsfromdump then combine the files and correct checksum and size and that's it. I don't change anything in the files except for imageinfo.bin in sys\.rom folder. Maybe this file is the problem? Just another question for you. Do you have the same problem with pkgtool where it comes with an error (windows message)?

I will do more testing on the weekend, but not sure what else I can try. Thanks for having patience and trying. 

no, i dont have that window warning message on both machine - winxp & vista. The process works smoothly without interruption from window message...

hope to see improvement in this tool. for sure i will test it..