Rom Dump/Build Application

Guest wes58

Guest enrico988

Hey wes,

I'd want to know a thing: it is possible to modify file attributes in cooking time?

I want to remove ReadOnly and System attributes from some files which I need to rename/modify after flashing..I tried with custom .provXML with the Move operation and "<parm name="RemoveAttributes" value="RS" />" but I can't get it working.

Do you know another way?

Thanks.

Enrico.

Guest wes58
Hey wes,

I'd want to know a thing: it is possible to modify file attributes in cooking time?

I want to remove ReadOnly and System attributes from some files which I need to rename/modify after flashing..I tried with custom .provXML with the Move operation and "<parm name="RemoveAttributes" value="RS" />" but I can't get it working.

Do you know another way?

Thanks.

Enrico.

You can't do anything during 'cooking' time because the rom image is copied (stored) in ROM (ROM stands for Read Only Memory). The only thing you can do is try to change attributes with provxml. You can find examples in Samsung OEM.

I don't think you can use 'Move' since the files are in ROM you can't move them, they will always be in ROM. You should use 'Copy' instead - unless you are trying to move files which are not in \Windows directory which should work. Also try to put only one file in your provxml and see if it works. I found out that if you try to do something in provxml with the file that is not in the correct location it doesn't process the rest of provxml.

Guest fubo
You can't do anything during 'cooking' time because the rom image is copied (stored) in ROM (ROM stands for Read Only Memory). The only thing you can do is try to change attributes with provxml. You can find examples in Samsung OEM.

I don't think you can use 'Move' since the files are in ROM you can't move them, they will always be in ROM. You should use 'Copy' instead - unless you are trying to move files which are not in \Windows directory which should work. Also try to put only one file in your provxml and see if it works. I found out that if you try to do something in provxml with the file that is not in the correct location it doesn't process the rest of provxml.

Hmmm. This means that OEM packages will always be put in Windows folder. If copied, space will be wasted to have two copies for each file...

Guest wes58
Hmmm. This means that OEM packages will always be put in Windows folder. If copied, space will be wasted to have two copies for each file...

They are not necessarily 'put' in Windows folder. The files that are in ROM are shown as being in Windows folder but they are physically in ROM. Only if you change attributes they will be copied to Windows (or other folder that you specifiy) and then they take program storage space. If you use Resco Explorer and select 'Hide files in ROM' you will see which files are copied to Windows folder.

Guest enrico988

Ok thanks for the explanation.

Guest fubo
They are not necessarily 'put' in Windows folder. The files that are in ROM are shown as being in Windows folder but they are physically in ROM. Only if you change attributes they will be copied to Windows (or other folder that you specifiy) and then they take program storage space. If you use Resco Explorer and select 'Hide files in ROM' you will see which files are copied to Windows folder.

Sorry wes, but what if I would want that files of a package must be installed in a specific folder? I noticed that using initflashfiles.txt all files are in Windows folder and destination folder. This is why I would want to use "Move" of a provxml file.

Guest wes58
Sorry wes, but what if I would want that files of a package must be installed in a specific folder? I noticed that using initflashfiles.txt all files are in Windows folder and destination folder. This is why I would want to use "Move" of a provxml file.

Yes, they are in Windows folder and destination folder, but if you look at attributes of some of the files in Windows folder they show you that they are in ROM, not copied to Windows folder.

So, from initflashfiles.dat:

Directory("\My Documents\Templates"):-File("Blank Note.pwi","\Windows\blank.pwi")

File blank.pwi (shown in Windows folder but really in ROM) is copied as "Blank Note.pwi" to "My Documents\Templates". You can't delete/move the file blank.pwi! You can only copy it.

The files that are physically copied to Windows folder can be deleted from this folder. The ROM files that are shown in Windows folder can't be deleted. You can 'overwrite' them using Resco Explorer, but you don't really overwrite the ROM file because if you delete the file that you overwrite the ROM file with, the original ROM file is used.

For example I have a file tdywater.gif which has attribute 'A'. When I delete/move this file I will still have a file with the same name in Windows folder with attributes 'RM' which is a file in ROM.

Hope it is clear enough.

Guest kydkylin

Hey wes,

I'd want to know a thing: it is possible to dump a LZX compression rom?

Sometime I need something in my LZX compression rom after I delete all except the .nb0 file.

Thanks for your apply.

Edited by kydkylin

Guest wes58
Hey wes,

I'd want to know a thing: it is possible to dump a LZX compression rom?

Sometime I need something in my LZX compression rom after I delete all except the .nb0 file.

Thanks for your apply.

Search on xda-developers for ImgfsToDump v3.3 beta3, I think it works - as long as 'Convert all packages to one' hasn't been used on the rom.

Guest wes58

Version 3.0 added to the first post.

What has changed:

- Dump tab, added an option to modify PDA file (.nb0, .bin or .nb) without dumping the file. Page pool value and security patch can be changed.

- Build tab, added an option to change PDA version of the rom

- 'EXT_OEM packages' tab added. You can place your own OEM packages in the EXT_OEM folder and select which ones you want to use with your current build.

- Xip.bin can be build when porting new OS, and when xip.bin for new OS is not available but only having MSXIPKernel folders with xip files.

NOTE: copy buildxip.exe into your 'xipTools' folders for this option to work.

Guest jackyaway

What has changed:

- Dump tab, added an option to modify PDA file (.nb0, .bin or .nb) without dumping the file. Page pool value and security patch can be changed.

- 'EXT_OEM packages' tab added. You can place your own OEM packages in the EXT_OEM folder and select which ones you want to use with your current build.

- Xip.bin can be build when porting new OS, and when xip.bin for new OS is not available but only having MSXIPKernel folders with xip files.

no words to describe your fantastic work!!! thank you so much!!!

Guest kydkylin

What has changed:

Thank you so much for the new version,wes!!!Will try it soon~

Guest wes58
change pagepool in a .nb0 file always report already patched, but the new .nb0 is totally same with the old one.

I assume that you are talking about version 3 and you are trying to change page pool of existing .nb0 file.

I will check it and let you know.

Guest wes58

Version 3.0.1 added to the fist post. Small bug fixed. Thanks to twu2 for finding it.

In 'Dump' tab, Page Pool value was not changed to the new value, when changing page pool of existing .nb0 file that had page pool already patched.

Guest jackyaway
When Build OS will create the registry it comes an error message that one file is missing,

copy cabarc.exe from previous _template folder in your Tools folder

Guest Devil1978

I don't know what i made wrong.

But when i will cook a JE1 with WM6.5.5 build 23569 my omnia 2 shows only the SAMSUNG OMNIA II logo and nothing else happens.

Guest Ryrzy
I don't know what i made wrong.

But when i will cook a JE1 with WM6.5.5 build 23569 my omnia 2 shows only the SAMSUNG OMNIA II logo and nothing else happens.

propably XIP problem... :) search another or use XIPKernel directorys