Issue with my GPRS...

Guest hetul

Hello,

I am using Vodafone GRPS in India.

The problem is that I can use the GPRS on the web browser of the phone... it works without any issues.

however, non of the other applications on the phone works... apps like Gmail, Mail, Stocks just dont work when I am on GPRS enabled mode.

Everything works when I am on Wi-Fi.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Hetul

no, no firewall...

for long i have suspected it to be the Proxy Settings that I require to set for my GPRS. but then, it works on my browser!

Here are my APN Settings:

Name: Vodafone

APN: portalnmms

Proxy: 10.10.1.100

port: 9401

rest all is default/unchanged.

hope it helps!

Edited by hetul

I will appreciate your help on this... How do i troubleshoot such an issue?

I am eager to know if this is a bug with MoDaCO Rom or something to do with my service provider...

waiting... :)

I will appreciate your help on this... How do i troubleshoot such an issue?

I am eager to know if this is a bug with MoDaCO Rom or something to do with my service provider...

waiting... :)

Well, modaco rom seems to work fine for everyone else I know of, so I don't think it's that.

I would go to vodafone's website (vodafone.in) and try and get a copy of the APN settings. I don't know why browser would work but nothing else, as that seems strange. I tried to look at Vodafone's site for you, but it seems you need to tell them which part of India you're in to get any sort of information.

At the moment, it sounds like either a network issue or settings (I'm inclined to say it's network). Maybe give them a call and see if they can see anything wrong on your account.

Thanks for replying...

I have tried to contact Vodafone here in india... as usual it wasnt very helpful.!

I bought it from the UK.

I got the Manual APN settings from vodafone, as below:

Bearer: GPRS

Proxy(name : port): 10.10.1.100:9401

Username: ______

Password:< blank> ______

Thanks for replying...

I have tried to contact Vodafone here in india... as usual it wasnt very helpful.!

I bought it from the UK.

I got the Manual APN settings from vodafone, as below:

Bearer: GPRS

Proxy(name : port): 10.10.1.100:9401

Username: ______

Password:< blank> ______

Right. Pity the Customer Services couldn't help.

One thing. Are you only able to use 2G (GPRS)? Is there no 3G or HSDPA available to you where you are? Just wondering...

• 2 weeks later...
Right. Pity the Customer Services couldn't help.

One thing. Are you only able to use 2G (GPRS)? Is there no 3G or HSDPA available to you where you are? Just wondering...

checked with them again... now they say that Vodafone Live is the basic package and I need to upgrade!

but what I fail to understand is that If i can use the browser, i should be able to use other apps too!

do i need to create a http tunnel? there has to be a work around for this...

any help will be appreciated.

hk

you say you using a uk handset in india right?

have you enabled allow data while roaming on your hero via settings?

I think the OP means he has a UK phone, but Indian SIM

I think the OP means he has a UK phone, but Indian SIM

yes, its an Orange UK phone with the latest Modaco ROM. I am using it with an Indian Vodafone sim card.

Vodafone here offers a basic GRPS service and an Advance GRPS service. The difference I am made to understand is that with Advance GPRS you can use the Internet on your computer while connecting to your phone.

However, that is not what I want. I just want to use the Internet on my device.

So I configured the Basic GPRS (with Roaming enabled) and am able to use the browser fine. However, none of the other apps would work with internet.

Vodafone support has no idea, all they told me was that its a basic gprs and you need to upgrade. But, I think if I can use my web browser, why cant i use anything else?!

Hope this helps... Let me know.

Thanks

hk

Guest pillock
Vodafone support has no idea, all they told me was that its a basic gprs and you need to upgrade. But, I think if I can use my web browser, why cant i use anything else?!

Chances are they block everything apart from Port 80, so email/messenger/exchange/ftp etc won't work.

You might be able to fiddle with the proxy (I did this on WinMo6.1 to get Exchange access when T-Mobile said I wasn't allowed, just deleted the proxy to connect directly) but I'm not sure if it'll be that simple on Android/Vodafone.

Chances are they block everything apart from Port 80, so email/messenger/exchange/ftp etc won't work.

You might be able to fiddle with the proxy (I did this on WinMo6.1 to get Exchange access when T-Mobile said I wasn't allowed, just deleted the proxy to connect directly) but I'm not sure if it'll be that simple on Android/Vodafone.

hmm... how about tunneling? can this be achieved by that?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest avi_wizard
hmm... how about tunneling? can this be achieved by that?

Hi Hetul,

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy(unlocked) in India. Even I am using Vodafone SIM.

I am also facing the same issue as you. I am able to open sites using the Basic GPRS setting (manually entered) as u mentioned. But even in the browser I can't open any secure sites ("https"). Also I am unable to access any of the apps through GPRS.

When I spoke to the Customer Care they asked me to upgrade to Vodafone Mobile Connect which requires an additional rental of Rs. 199/month. I am thinking of trying it for one month, just to see if it works.

-Avinash

• 2 months later...
Guest Hemant Bhatye
Hi Hetul,

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy(unlocked) in India. Even I am using Vodafone SIM.

I am also facing the same issue as you. I am able to open sites using the Basic GPRS setting (manually entered) as u mentioned. But even in the browser I can't open any secure sites ("https"). Also I am unable to access any of the apps through GPRS.

When I spoke to the Customer Care they asked me to upgrade to Vodafone Mobile Connect which requires an additional rental of Rs. 199/month. I am thinking of trying it for one month, just to see if it works.

-Avinash

Hi Avinash

I'm having the same handset & the same issue. Did you use Vodafone Mobile Connect ? Does it work ?

Regards

Hemant

• 9 months later...
Guest ankjinz

Hey

I am using Vodafone sim on ZTE Blade ( UK phone, unlocked).

I am facing the same problem.

Browser runs seamlessly on GPRS but none of the apps seem to work. A friend of mine is using HTC Desire and he is facing similar problem with apps..

I guess this problem is with Vodafone pack. Everything works fie on WiFi.

Do the apps work on any other network. If someone is using a network other than Vodafone and the apps work on GPRS, please let me know.

Thanks

Ank

Guest ptruman
Hey

I am using Vodafone sim on ZTE Blade ( UK phone, unlocked).

I am facing the same problem.

Browser runs seamlessly on GPRS but none of the apps seem to work. A friend of mine is using HTC Desire and he is facing similar problem with apps..

I guess this problem is with Vodafone pack. Everything works fie on WiFi.

Do the apps work on any other network. If someone is using a network other than Vodafone and the apps work on GPRS, please let me know.

Thanks

Ank

Any app should use whatever connection the phone has available, 2G, GPRS, Edge, HSPDA etc. If your APN does not provide 3G/HSDPA etc, but does provide another connection type, the apps should use that.

It is possible however, that your provider is filtering traffic type, like HTTP (so your browser gets through). If you can access SSL (secure) websites via your browser, then you should be able to setup an SSH tunnel. I have done this previously using DD-WRT on routers in locations I control - but moving the SSH port from 22, to 443 (which is the normal web SSL port). Most traffic handlers allow SSH, especially on port 443. If you can get an Android SSH app to connect to your home router (if you have one) over 2G, you can then tunnel traffic out from there.

Obviously this may be illegal in your location/country, and you should check if what is technically possible is legal ;)