[Tutorial] Step by Step guide on how to do things with your liquid

Guest three_pineapples

Guest RazorICE

Very awesome, would've been helpful yesterday when I first got my liquid, but I like you had to figure it all out myself!!

One note though, in your removing applications, you should make step 6 clear in case someone accidentally removes their whole /system/app folder! (Not sure if you can with that command, but just in case!)

Other than that, thanks a lot! :)

Guest Andy__P

Hi thanks for this, i'm a total android noob too :)

One suggestion though. would it be possible to add notes which of these steps under which circumstances can brick the phone or void the warranty?

And what can be done to avoid this?

But anyway very good guide! Thanks

Guest MrVanes
One note though, in your removing applications, you should make step 6 clear in case someone accidentally removes their whole /system/app folder! (Not sure if you can with that command, but just in case!)

Been there, done that :)

Lucky for me I made a nandroid backup with Lickonn's recovery image! Phew!

Normally I would have written something like this:

rm /system/app/[filename]

where [filename] is the filename of the application you want to remove (list of names are now in C:\android)

Apart from that, I am now the happy owner of a rooted Liquid! Yay!

Edited by MrVanes

Guest zehunter
Can you describe me how to flash ROM with bin extension in windows and linux?

it can be good idea to make easy and step by step how to for flashing/updating rom ... i'm a neeby and i not understand half of what i read :-(

Guest three_pineapples

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll put up download links when i next have time (just didn't have time last night when i posted it).

For flashing new bin/img images, unfortunately i can't help with that. I tried and failed yesterday using the Acer tool (i think because of driver problems under windows 7 when switching from OS mode to download mode). If someone else want to write a tutorial for that i'll happily add it to my post (as long as it is detailed enough!).

Yes i was a bit concerned with people removing the whole app directory, but the tutorial for that is after the nandroid backup step. So hopefully people will have done that. Anyway, i'll add a caution in there and suggest nandroid backup as a safety net (probably won't be updated for another 12-24 hours though!)

So the IME replacment to get dictionary...sorry i don't read french...I've seen stuff about it not really working because the resolutions of the new IME apk are low. I think that was using the HTC Hero latin_IME though. Is this one from the nexus one? (cause i would think that would work!)

AFAIK, the only step that can brick your phone is rooting. However it should be safe provided you are on one of the superboot tested roms. They are listed in Pauls superboot thread. It has been reported to work on newer rom's too, but since Paul isn't developing for the liquid anymore, it's not going to be updated.

As for voiding warranty, technically all of these will void the warranty, but you can undo everything before you return it except flashing a new bin file using the Acer download tool (not explained in my tutorial yet). This is ecause you cannot undo the radio flash. However, if you flash using img files, this can be reversed since it does not update the radio!

Guest RazorICE

If you want, at the end of removing stock applications you can add a link to http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Barebones (just shows what apps are safe to remove).

I'm trying to come up with some ways to simplify the process for newbies.

For example, to use ADB, you don't need to download the developer kit. Paul's superboot comes with both adb-windows.exe and fastboot-windows.exe

You should probably link the files as someone else said above, like Paul's superboot, Lickkonn's recovery, and the Acer Drivers.

In rooting the Liquid, the first step should be to check if the phone is EMEA (europe?) or AAP (asia I think?). This is found at the bottom of Settings -> About phone. Double-clicking the .bat file in the superroot works fine, but it's fine to also do it from the command line.

Also, you can install Google Nav on non-US phones:

1) Remove /system/app/Maps.apk

2) Go to the market and download Nav Launcher

3) If your system is rooted, run Nav Launcher, which will give you a link to a modified google maps to download.

I hope someone can get Paul in here to get this stickied.

Guest snoopy33

No no, about the keyboard, the distionary is from AOSP version of Donuts...

The step are to take the apk keyboard from the phone directly, to replace the dictionary inside the apk by the file take from AOSP version of donuts, and push the new apk. No HTC or other keyboard.

I try and I use it now, it works well !!!!

Tomorow, I ll translate in english.

Good night every one

I've spent the day trawling through posts learning how to do a lot of stuff for the first time. And i found a lot of the instructions to be rather too brief (its not helpful to android newbies like myself to condense install instructions to 4 short sentences!)

Hey, many thanks for this. I've got my liquid on order which will hopefully be here by the end of the week 8~) So this will come in very handy, I've been trying to bookmark different threads with info I thought would be useful, however this is just what I needed. Nice one!

Guest snoopy33

This link is not from me but from a member of the forum that I spoke before :

http://www.wimeo.fr/LatinIME.apk

You push this file in your /system/app.

It s for french dictionnary.

For other dictionary :

You have to take the correspondant file here : http://github.com/loxK/android_vendor_comm...ds/LatinIME/res

After you pull LatinIME.apk from your phone to your computer. You rename it .zip, you open the file, you search the file main.dic in the archive, you replace it by what you have just downloaded on the previous link, you pull the new LatinIME.apk, you reboot, and the most important, you enjoy :-)

it can be good idea to make easy and step by step how to for flashing/updating rom ... i'm a neeby and i not understand half of what i read :-(

I posted a howto in this thread for extracting img files from bin files and how to flash/upgrade using img files roms

http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...mg-files-added/

Edited by malez

Guest 00sully

yep excellent post great stuff man thanks! very concise and all in one place - I did everything from A-Z :)

I still managed to uninstall the apps incorrectly as when I go into manage them i see "com.acer...." etc... but when i click them it says app can't be found! oh well at least they are gone!!

the keyboard one has been annoying me since I got the phone! Excellent B) oh n' I managed to install "dailystrip" from the market which for some reason was "locked" to another region - great tip!

Edited by 00sully

Guest RazorICE
yep excellent post great stuff man thanks! very concise and all in one place - I did everything from A-Z :)

I still managed to uninstall the apps incorrectly as when I go into manage them i see "com.acer...." etc... but when i click them it says app can't be found! oh well at least they are gone!!

the keyboard one has been annoying me since I got the phone! Excellent B) oh n' I managed to install "dailystrip" from the market which for some reason was "locked" to another region - great tip!

See http://android.modaco.com/content-page/297...ration/page/20/ for info on how to get rid of them from the applications list.

Edited by RazorICE

Guest Juan_OX

i can´t root...

may be windows7, but all seems to be ok, i try with the DOS window and writing all by hand, and the answer is OK too, but when the liquid reboot, y try to make a screen capture to confirm the possible root and have an error...

Guest three_pineapples

Juan, Please post the build number of your liquid. Its under settings -> about phone

What are you doing exactly to confirm root? (what app are you using that's trying to get root access and what error does it throw?)