APN for Internet & MMS .apk for Softbank users in JAPAN

Guest Umka

Guest lbwtaylor

Just to be clear, I am running modaco's custom rom r13, mms1 apk noted above, stock messaging ap, auto download turned off (this helped me, dunno why), user-agent set to 708sc.

Guest strife502

I've tried 5 different Mms.apk's now from various places, and all force close on my HTC Desire >.<

I don't know if I'm installing them wrong or what (it does have to be done in recovery mode right?), but none work...

In this thread on 2ch people are saying that

erasing Mms.apk and Mms.odex, then adding in the new Mms.apk stopped the force closing issue for them,

but doesn't seem to have done the trick for me...

Running rooted desire with modaco r2 rom.

Edit:: Have now attempted to edit user agent of my own Mms.apk as in this post,

pulled Mms.apk and Mms.odex from phone, deodexed, edited the file and then placed classes.dex into Mms.apk and pushed back onto phone, deleted Mms.odex.

While it doesn't force close, it hasnt seem to have made any difference to receiving mms, still get generic network failure/cannot download errors.

Really new to all this, so I guess I'm doing something really wrong :/

Edit2:: lol, for some reason sending seems to work... phone says it hasn't sent (and keeps retrying) and so recipient gets message multiple times...

eventually found an apk that didn't force close on a japanese site, but that also couldn't download messages. Guess I've done something strange to the phone

or my APN settings are messed... dunno. Maybe be best to just wait for SB's official solution in 3rd quarter :/

Edited by strife502

Guest NEow

Hi strife520!

I am in the same boat as you! Did you have some evolutions about configuring your Desire?

I've tried 5 different Mms.apk's now from various places, and all force close on my HTC Desire >.<

I don't know if I'm installing them wrong or what (it does have to be done in recovery mode right?), but none work...

In this thread on 2ch people are saying that

erasing Mms.apk and Mms.odex, then adding in the new Mms.apk stopped the force closing issue for them,

but doesn't seem to have done the trick for me...

Running rooted desire with modaco r2 rom.

Edit:: Have now attempted to edit user agent of my own Mms.apk as in this post,

pulled Mms.apk and Mms.odex from phone, deodexed, edited the file and then placed classes.dex into Mms.apk and pushed back onto phone, deleted Mms.odex.

While it doesn't force close, it hasnt seem to have made any difference to receiving mms, still get generic network failure/cannot download errors.

Really new to all this, so I guess I'm doing something really wrong :/

Edit2:: lol, for some reason sending seems to work... phone says it hasn't sent (and keeps retrying) and so recipient gets message multiple times...

eventually found an apk that didn't force close on a japanese site, but that also couldn't download messages. Guess I've done something strange to the phone

or my APN settings are messed... dunno. Maybe be best to just wait for SB's official solution in 3rd quarter :/

Guest strife502

Yea managed to get it working.

(Just in case: I'm using a standard silver usim, on white plan. edit: Also, using パケットし放題フラット/ packet shihoudai flat)

For APN settings I used the same as those in the first post of this topic, just added

MMSC: http://mms/

MMS Proxy: mmsopen.softbank.ne.jp

MMS Port: 8080

to the first one. (I have both set, though I imagine one is redundant - too scared to change anything now it's working though.)

For the apk, I used the one found here - for those that can't read Japanese:

Direct link to download (All credit to Jackie73さん from kakaku.com)

With the above apn settings and that apk, everything (send/receive to phones and standard mail addies) works perfectly on my desire!

Hope this helps, good luck.

Note: I believe the above apk is designed to work on the modaco r2 rom, for stock/older version it might be necessary to use v3 of Jackie73's apk.

Hi strife520!

I am in the same boat as you! Did you have some evolutions about configuring your Desire?

Edited by strife502

Guest guaiwujia
Thanks to trolld on xda, I got some more suggestions for APN infos that relate to prepaid sims (like mine).

This hasn't completely solved my problems, I still have some problems with html messages and images, but I am pretty perfect with regular messages, which is enough (I'm leaving japan in a month, so I've invested enough time in this).

YMMV:

here are the settings:

MMS Settings

------------------------------------- -

Setting Name: VFJP Network

Modem Name: Softbank WAP

APN: mailwebservice.softbank.ne.jp

Username: softbank

Password: qceffknarlurqgbl

Proxy server: vfkkwapproxy.softbank.ne.jp

HTTP Port: 8080

Username: softbank

Password: qceffknarlurqgbl

Here are some more detailed instructions I used as a guide as well:

1. Settings --> Connections Tab --> Connections

2. Advanced Tab --> Select Networks

3. Programs that Automatically Connect to the Internet --> New

4. Enter a name for these settings --> Change "My isp name" to VFJP Network

5. Modem Tab --> New

6. Name for the Connection --> Softbank WAP

7. Select Cellular line (GPRS,3G)

8. Next

9. Access point name --> mailwebservice.softbank.ne.jp

10. Next

11. Username --> softbank

12. Password --> qceffknarlurqgbl (be careful to enter it correctly!)

13. Domain -->leave blank

14. Finish

15. Proxy Settings Tab

16. Check --> This network connects to the Internet

17. Check --> This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet

18. Proxy Server --> vfkwapproxy.softbank.ne.jp

19. Advance Button

20. HTTP Proxy --> vfkkwapproxy.softbank.ne.jp (no change)

21. Port 8080

22. Username --> softbank

23. Password --> qceffknarlurqgbl

24. Domain --> leave blank

25. Go to Messaging (Outlook e-mail?)

26. Menu --> Tools --> Options

27. Click --> MMS Servers Tab -->New button

28. Server Name --> mailwebservice.vodafone.ne.jp

29. Gateway --> vfkkmmsproxy.vodafone.ne.jp

30. Port 8080

31. Server Address --> http://mms/

32. Connect via VFJP Network

33. WAP Version --> WAP 2.0

34. OK

35. Tap [mailwebservice.vodafone.ne.jp] -->set as default button

36.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?SOFTWARE?ARCSOFT?Arcsoft MMS UA?Config?mm1?{number}name=mailwebservice.vodafone .ne.jp

37. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?SOFTWARE?ARCSOFT?Arcsoft MMS UA?Config?mm1?Wsptleader

User-Agent=Softbank/1.0/705SC/SCJ001

This setting is for Windows Mobile os,not for android os......

Guest guaiwujia
guaiwujia, may I ask which rom do you use mms1.apk with ?

A custom-built Chinese rom,base on 2.1 version

actually,I just found the user-agent settin in menu, I have not tried to send a mms via Softbank sim card.....

Edited by guaiwujia

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone!,

I have uploaded a new MMS.apk (MMS8.zip) that is reported to work with Desire and Liquid with Android 2.1. A lot of problems with Softbank like empty messages were fixed.

You should ODEX after install or you may end with a force-close error.

Odex is Apk optimization. If you have your framework optimized (you surely have if you installed a custom ROM), than you should run ODEX after installing MMS.apk.

There is a lot of UserAgent to select from - I am using V702NK2 many others failed to work. Also you have an option to input one by yourself.

Guest semsem1969
;) I am starting this topic for those of you who are like I was, using Softbank in Japan and have no clue how to setup Internet (pakehoudai) and MMS for Softbank.

will start with the easier part - setting up APN for Internet Connection:

1. Go to Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

2. Long press empty space or press menu and select Add New APN

3. For internet input:

• Name:Open Softbank
  • APN: open.softbank.ne.jp
  • Proxy: <not set>
  • Port: 8080
  • Username:opensoftbank
  • Password:ebMNuX1FIHg9d3DA
  • Server: <not set>
  • MMSC: <not set>
  • MMS proxy: <not set>
  • MMS port: <not set>
  • MCC: 440
  • MNC: 20
  • APN type: default

4. For MMS set a new APN just like you did for Internet, but with settings below:

• Name:Open Softbank
    • APN: mailwebservice.softbank.ne.jp
    • Proxy: <not set>
    • Port: <not set>
    • Username:softbank
    • Password:qceffknarlurqgbl
    • Server: <not set>
    • MMSC: http://mms/
    • MMS proxy: sbmmsproxy.softbank.ne.jp
    • MMS port: 8080
    • MCC: 440
    • MNC: 20
    • APN type: mms

That alone will not magically make your MMS work, because Softbank checks for UserAgent when sending / receiving MMS. So you will need to install a custom Mms.apk attached to this post.

5. Install Android SDK on your PC

6. Root your device (AT YOUR OWN RISK! please search for instructions for your specific device on this forum.)

7. open command prompts (Start > Run > cmd) connect your device with USB cable and execute following commands:

That's it. Custom Mms.apk combined with correct APN should do the trick and you are able to send/receive MMS with Softbank.

MMS.zip is for Donut - tested and working on Acer Liquid / Android 1.6 and HTC Hero / Android 1.5

MmsEclair.zip is for Liquid Android 2.1 (tested on LCR, Vache all versions) Do not forget to ODEX after pushing if needed otherwise you fill have a Force Close error.

Mms8.zip is for Liquid and Desire on Android 2.1 (tested on Liquid only LCR, Vache all versions) THIS IS THE LATEST most feature rich and error-free version. Do not forget to ODEX after pushing if needed otherwise you fill have a Force Close error. (Credit to Jake for empty messages fix))

:(

Note: for MMSEclair and Mms8.zip, you have yo go to Messages>Settings>UserAgent and select a user agent. I am using 708SC and it works fine.

hello, sorry for the noob question....

am trying to push the file Mms.apk but i don't know what you mean by ODEX i tried searching but got no clue...if you can help me i will really appreciate it.

sorry its my first android device and am just learning...

its motorola Xt701 and i got it Root.

no custom rom installed

NOW am getting force close on messaging app when i restart my phone.......

is there anyway to undo or get the original back or i have to hard Reset ??????

anyone please....

thanks

Edited by semsem1969

Guest xt701.smoke
hello, sorry for the noob question....

am trying to push the file Mms.apk but i don't know what you mean by ODEX i tried searching but got no clue...if you can help me i will really appreciate it.

sorry its my first android device and am just learning...

its motorola Xt701 and i got it Root.

no custom rom installed

NOW am getting force close on messaging app when i restart my phone.......

is there anyway to undo or get the original back or i have to hard Reset ??????

anyone please....

thanks

I'm using XT701 too.

ODEX is just like an Application signature file.

You can find the file, when [#ls /system/app/Mms*] command input (by adb).

that output like this.

-----

Mms.apk

Mms.odex

-----

and you input command [#mv /system/app/Mms.odex /system/app/Mms.odex.org], will don't force close.

*needs root, and remout /system

but I tried on my XT701, I can't send/receive MMS yet...

JakeMod8 Mms.apk is for Desire and I think XT701 have more some trouble with Softbank MMS, that have not find yet.

Guest xt701.smoke

JakeMod8 Mms.apk is for Desire and I think XT701 have more some trouble with Softbank MMS, that have not find yet.

later, I could send and receive MMS.

My MMS setting is Mr.semsem1969 shown that.

and "Message" application>setting>Custom userAgent>Softbank V702NK2

(with JakeMod8 Mms.apk)

But, I tried these settings already...

while my trying, I uninstalled "handcentMMS".

I think this application have some trouble with Softbank MMS, maybe..

Try these settings.

Edited by xt701.smoke

Guest semsem1969
I'm using XT701 too.

ODEX is just like an Application signature file.

You can find the file, when [#ls /system/app/Mms*] command input (by adb).

that output like this.

-----

Mms.apk

Mms.odex

-----

and you input command [#mv /system/app/Mms.odex /system/app/Mms.odex.org], will don't force close.

*needs root, and remout /system

Sir i thank you so much for your reply .....

i am grateful for your answer i didn't have the time to try the MMS setting but the FC worked fine.

i will let you know.

thank you again

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adc1029

I am really sorry, but I am new to the android. I have successfully rooted and installed the MoDaCo Desire rom to my device, but when I type in "adb remount..." to the command prompt, I got "failed to copy 'Mms.apk' to '/system/app/Mms.apk': Directory not empty." Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thank you.

EDIT: ok, i successfully pushed the file in recovery mode, but I am not too sure how to install the Mms.apk or what I would need to do the next step.

Edited by adc1029

Guest GeileBeer

Hi there!

I was wondering if someone could guide me through this. I have literally spent hours / days to try to get this fixed.

I'm on a rooted Desire with Amer_BravoX Custom ROM. I use the JakeMod MMS.apk number 10. I set different APN's, but none of them would help.

The status now is that I can see that there are new messages, but downloading it times out (i.e. it never downloads). Is there's something wrong with the APN? Or did I f*ck up the userAgent (using "Softbank V702NK") ? And when you enter a custom string for UserAgent, do you add "Softbank" in front of it, or not?

Looking forward for some gaijin-help!

Thanks in advance

GB

Scrap that, got it too work.

Things to mention:

If asked for an authentication: go PAP

If asked for an agent: Use the preset V802SE

(custom strings should look like - SoftBank/1.0/705NK/NKJ002/SN001 Android-Mms/0.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 - Which is a pain in the ass!!)

concerning APN's: Screw the internet-APN, just set up 1 APN for the MMS and don't forget to set the type to "mms".

Take care!

Edited by GeileBeer

Guest xt701.smoke
I am really sorry, but I am new to the android. I have successfully rooted and installed the MoDaCo Desire rom to my device, but when I type in "adb remount..." to the command prompt, I got "failed to copy 'Mms.apk' to '/system/app/Mms.apk': Directory not empty." Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thank you.

EDIT: ok, i successfully pushed the file in recovery mode, but I am not too sure how to install the Mms.apk or what I would need to do the next step.

"cp" command needs [-f] option, when you put it on exists file.

But, I don't recommend it.

I recommend to move original Mms.apk file, before "cp -f" command.

If you move original Mms.apk, and you can type "cp" command without [-f] option.

1.move original Mms.apk

#mv /system/app/Mms.apk /system/app/Mms.apk

2.copy customized Mms.apk

#cp /sdcard/Mms.apk /system/app/Mms.apk

all after "remout" /system directory.

reboot your phone, and you can use customized Mms.apk

Guest Yuko87

Hello everyone, this topic is very usefull but I still have a few questions to asks since I readed that someone had a bill over 60,000yen

I want to use the Unlimited Pack Discount for Smartphones (http://mb.softbank.jp/en/price_plans/upd_smart.html) as I have an Acer Liquid android 1.6 and I already installed all to get s!mail etc and of course I also want to use internet normally with my smartphone so is this plan good? It says monthly fee can't go over 5,895yen but also it says:

Some content may be subject to additional fees.

Fees cover sending/receiving e-mail (S! Mail MMS), web access, PC Site Browser (including PC e-mail), and PC Site Direct charges within Japan.

But then:

Rates for S! Mail (MMS) reception, web access, PC Site Browser (including PC e-mail) and PC Site Direct are ¥0.084/packet.

What does it mean? what content is subject to additional fees? and about the 0.084yen/packet means I will pay that price as extra everytime I send an email etc?

Guest Umka
Hello everyone, this topic is very usefull but I still have a few questions to asks since I readed that someone had a bill over 60,000yen

I want to use the Unlimited Pack Discount for Smartphones (http://mb.softbank.jp/en/price_plans/upd_smart.html) as I have an Acer Liquid android 1.6 and I already installed all to get s!mail etc and of course I also want to use internet normally with my smartphone so is this plan good? It says monthly fee can't go over 5,895yen but also it says:

Some content may be subject to additional fees.

Fees cover sending/receiving e-mail (S! Mail MMS), web access, PC Site Browser (including PC e-mail), and PC Site Direct charges within Japan.

But then:

Rates for S! Mail (MMS) reception, web access, PC Site Browser (including PC e-mail) and PC Site Direct are ¥0.084/packet.

What does it mean? what content is subject to additional fees? and about the 0.084yen/packet means I will pay that price as extra everytime I send an email etc?

Helo Yuko

I think the guy with 60.000Yen bill did not have an unlimited data plan or did not setup the APNs correctly. I am using these settings to download data from Internet my actual use of internet goes up to 20.000~80.000yen but as this is covered by my data plan - i only pay less than 6000yen. As for what is not included, i gues it might be MMS cause we pay per MMS plus data included in that MMS.

Guest Yuko87
Helo Yuko

I think the guy with 60.000Yen bill did not have an unlimited data plan or did not setup the APNs correctly. I am using these settings to download data from Internet my actual use of internet goes up to 20.000~80.000yen but as this is covered by my data plan - i only pay less than 6000yen. As for what is not included, i gues it might be MMS cause we pay per MMS plus data included in that MMS.

Thank you for answering me =) actually about the MMS I didn't understand well..in my country (Italy) we have sms and mms because we don't have email on cellphone and the only way to send pictures each other is MMS but in Japan there are S!Mail so we actually don't need mms right? I putted the mms apn like it is said in this thread because my cellphone doesn't normally get e-mails...what should I do? I wanna make sure that I wont have any surprise in my bill ^^

Guest slyn4ice

Hey guys, I just rooted my HTC Desire from Softbank and forgot to backup my APN settings. I have the flat-rate pake-hodai. I have used both the settings you have posted and the settings from a friend of mine with the exact same phone but a different data plan. In both cases I have network but now my signal never stays on 3G - always drops to HSDPA (with a one or two second delay before it switches). Are there different APN settings for the flat-rate pake-hodai plan? Or is it because of something else. I really appreciate your help!

p.s. If you want, I can post the APN settings my friend sent me - they are different from the ones posted here.

• 1 month later...
Guest Yuko87

Ok I did everything explained here (thank you for making a topic explaining the procedure :D)

...and I'm using the mms8 version of mms.apk but I still have a problem..I can send mms but I can't get them..it says I can't download them, why? T.T

EDIT:

OK that's really strange..I can get mms if their size is less than 250kb...if they are bigger than that I can't download them.

And I can send successfully every kind of size but then the sender will get just a resized version of the pictures I sent (example: 400kb becomes 15kb) O.O

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Yuko87

• 3 weeks later...

After one month of trying to get it work, I'm despaired.

I have a rooted Motorola Milestone (Vodafone Germany). Japanese silver Usim prepaid card.

Did everything like in the first post, with the files MMSEclair and MMS8, even the apk from Jackie, but still cant download MMS.

When I use "mms" as apn type, I instantly get the error message "cant download mms" (no 3G/HSDP symbol in the notification bar), while without "mms" I have the 3G/HSDP symbol and it seems to do sth before I get the download error message. I see that there are mms and a download button is available, but after clicking on it, I receive the error messages.

Tried various user agents.

I'm thankful for every help, I have another month in Japan :huh:

Edited by colo12

• 1 month later...
Guest Japan-Jens

Hello everyone, first of all thanks a lot for the helpful tips that made it possible for me as well to send & receive mms/mail with my HTC Desire and Softbank prepaid-card! But since I couldn't succeed by just following one single guide I wrote my own about how i succeeded. I hope that it will be helpful for someone because this configuration-experience is not anything I would wish for someone else to have :P

You can read about how I did here:

http://samuel.iijapan.se/?p=535

Or if that link wouldn't work, use this instead:

http://www.monkeygames.se/iijapan/samuel/?p=535