How to remove the software "WaveSecure "

Guest excalibar1984

Guest shenshang

using adb:

adb shell rm /system/app/com.wsandroid.apk
or using terminal emulator:
su

rm /system/app/com.wsandroid.apk

or just go to /system/app using a file explorer and deleting com.wsandroid.apk yourself.

Guest excalibar1984
using adb:
su

or just go to /system/app using a file explorer and deleting com.wsandroid.apk yourself.

It's a great help for me, thanks a lot

• 3 months later...
Guest svyat
using adb:
su

This doesn't work for me. Having the following error when trying to do it through adb and terminal emulator as well: "rm: can't remove '/system/app/com.wsandroid.apk': Directory not empty"

Guest mifran
Nope, still giving me the same error message.

may i ask why you want to remove the best security program from your phone

mifran

Guest svyat
may i ask why you want to remove the best security program from your phone

Sure, because I am not willing to pay for this service and it is bugging me every time I start my phone, telling me to register.

I think he means it's not "his phone", which means we stop helping him at this point.

Yeah, it IS my phone. Thanks for accusing me in theft instead of trying to help. That's the right attitude...

For those willing to help:

My Desire (yeah, I assumed the removal would be similar to Hero, if it is not - my apologies for OT) is rooted and when I browse /system/app with root explorer I cannot see the com.wsandroid.apk file there. There are other com.*** files though. I also couldnt find any file containing wavesecure in the filename. Nevertheless wavesecure starts every time when i boot the phone asking me to register :/

Edited by svyat

Guest stevenz
Sure, because I am not willing to pay for this service and it is bugging me every time I start my phone, telling me to register.

Yeah, it IS my phone. Thanks for accusing me in theft instead of trying to help. That's the right attitude...

My apologies, I mis-read GateHead's post as being from you.

If you installed it manually, just uninstall it and the uninstall protection app. If you flashed it via a kitchen ROM, then just rebuild another one withOUT WS and flash that. Or install Titanium backup and use that to remove it (assume the phone is rooted).

Edited by stevenz

Guest mifran

@svyat ok i have looked on my rooted hero and using astro file manager in system/apps/ com.wsandroid shows and in settings> manage apps it shows as wavesecure but there is no uninstall option so i would try a full wipe plus dalvik wipe then install a rom without the wavesecure app personally i like it but i took it as a beta and it is free

mifran

Guest Cathode

Hi All,

I also need to uninstall Wavesecure, purely to re install it as it seems to have lost the link with the home server. I could wipe and reinstall, but would rather not!

Guest davidew98

****To the Mods: Please LOCK this post!****

To everyone who wants to uninstall WS:

If you installed it yourself get the uninstaller from WS's Website and uninstall the both programs.

If it was included in your ROM then you need a ROM without it.

If your having problems with WS not communicating with it's servers then contact WS for help.

Other notes:

If it was part of your ROM and your having problems and WS can't help but asks to reinstall it then you need to do a Wipe to allow it to reload.

****ALL OTHER QUESTIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO WS!!!!****

Since this software is designed to NOT ALLOW THIEVES to remove it, this thread should STOP HERE not for the fact that the people asking the questions are NOT thieves but for the fact that the people searching the net to remove WS from phones they have stolen will find answers here then the software will be pointless!

****Please I am BEGGING everyone to stop this post and for the MODS to LOCK it!****

Hi All,

I also need to uninstall Wavesecure, purely to re install it as it seems to have lost the link with the home server. I could wipe and reinstall, but would rather not!

Guest kendon
Security through obscurity is poor security.

absolutely. although i can see that it is a very difficult task to make somehting secure against root access...

Guest zorm
absolutely. although i can see that it is a very difficult task to make somehting secure against root access...

Granted. I can't see what a third party dev could do to improve matters. It would be easy for the hardware designers, but then they stuff up at blocking root access so it obviously isn't high priority. Maybe if the code was tightly integrated into the radio rom... but again that's only an option for the designers.

• 8 months later...

Wavesecure is sending txt messages to 006592324290 which is costiung me each time as it is not covered in my O2 plan, I cannot seem to turn this off so wish to uninstall it.

• 1 month later...
Guest glossywhite

I do not know why Modaco insist on forcing this software upon custom ROM users, STILL. I complained of this last year - it fell on deaf ears, although I could read between the lines. As it turns out, Paul has something to do with the promotion or development of WaveSecure, so it is in his interest to push it at us as much as possible (no offence Paul).

To have this included by default, unless you pay for premium membership, is plain wrong, and flies in the face of everything the FSF and open source were founded to achieve. Android is touted as being Open Source, and almost forcing this app upon users is not a nice thing to do, especially when there is no simple (read: non-geeky, for the average user) way to remove it.

If the software, as Harrid alleges, DOES send texts to a number without permission (unconfirmed), then this is as bad as they spying mechanisms which Microsoft use in XP, to send Microsoft lists of what music you are listening to, and what programs you have installed (yes, they do - I suggest you watch some Richard Stallman lectures - he is the founder of the FSF - "The Free Software Foundation", without whom Android likely wouldn't even exist).

If you value your freedom, you should reject software that has no way of being removed, and if you decide you want to use it, you should ask for someone with appropriate knowledge to look at the WaveSecure source code, and ensure it does not spy on the users by sending texts. This kind of practice is immoral, and should be stopped.

Please note:

This post is not meant to start a flame war, but is intended to (hopefully) allow even free Modaco members to have the choice as to whether or not software is present in THEIR hardware.

Thank you

Edited by glossywhite

Guest soofire
Wavesecure is sending txt messages to 006592324290 which is costiung me each time as it is not covered in my O2 plan, I cannot seem to turn this off so wish to uninstall it.

give this a try...

The error below is displayed when you attempt to uninstall McAfee WaveSecure on an Android device:

Uninstallation not successful

Solution

Remove McAfee WaveSecure from the Device Administrator list, then uninstall it.

Step 1 - Remove WaveSecure from the list of Device Administrators

Go to the phone Settings.

Tap Location & Security.

Tap Select Device Administrators.

Remove the checkmark beside McAfee WaveSecure.

Step 2 - Uninstall WaveSecure

Go to the Settings menu on the phone.

Tap Applications Settings.

Tap Installed Applications.

Select McAfee WaveSecure.

Tap Options, then select Uninstall or Remove.

NOTE: If you have not defined a PIN for your phone when you configure WaveSecure as a device administrator, a PIN lock will be set automatically. Tthis is a system lock other than your WaveSecure lock. This PIN will be set to the default 123456.

Cause

McAfee WaveSecure is configured as a Device Administrator.

With the Android 2.2 (Froyo) update, Android allows you to select an application as a Device Administrator to prevent accidental uninstallation of important software.

Related Information

Remote locking in Android 1.5 to 2.1:

If you use the pattern lock, the WaveSecure lock will precede the pattern lock unless you press the home key. When you switch the phone off and on, the WaveSecure lock will once again be displayed.

Guest compact101

I'd like to remove this app, as I don't want to buy it.

However in Settings, Manage Apps, I select Force Stop, that greys out. The Uninstall is greyed out.

I have looked for the "checkmark beside McAfee WaveSecure." and this was unchecked.

How can I remove it?

How can I stop it auto starting?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest andybro
I'd like to remove this app, as I don't want to buy it.

However in Settings, Manage Apps, I select Force Stop, that greys out. The Uninstall is greyed out.

I have looked for the "checkmark beside McAfee WaveSecure." and this was unchecked.

How can I remove it?

How can I stop it auto starting?

Thanks

I have found the same situation. The option to uninstall is greyed out even though wavesecure is not ticked as a device manager. Can't seem to find a solution to getting rid of this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wessexmario

<moan on>

Ok, I can understand the statement that security software should be 'secure', but the point is, if a thief ends up with a rooted phone with clockwork on it, then it's no hassle for them to install another OS, and they don't care, or would even prefer to have, a freshly installed phone.

BUT, it's a real hassle for genuine owners who have spent time configuring their mobile, to find that the only way to remove commercial prompt-ware is to re-install their device, and so undo all the work they've done to get the phone set up just as they like.

As a previous poster has said, heavily pushing commercial software in a opensource product goes right against the grain.

I don't know about the Android licencing, I haven't read it and I'm no lawyer anyway, but this definately goes against the spirit of open source software.

</moan off>

Ok, now that's off my chest...

The error I had when trying to remove the McAfee WaveSecure apk is that it cannot be deleted as the filesystem it is in is mounted read-only.

So, we need to mount /system as read-write.

Using terminal emulator, enter the following commands

First check that the app to be deleted is in the expected directory:

ls /system/app/com.wsandroid.apk

Enter the following command to check how the filesystem is mounted.

mount

'mount' will produce a list of all mounted filesystems.

Check for the line containing /system, this will confirm the current mount point /dev/block/mtdblk5

If yours is different, use your mount point.

Now you can mount the filesystem read-write, delete the app, and remount it as read-only again.

su

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk5 /system

mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk5 /system

exit

It's not required, but would be a good idea to now immediately shutdown the phone and reboot it to confirm everything worked and doing so, the OS should automatically mount all it's filesystems correctly, so preventing any problems if the above commands were incorrectly entered.

More importantly, it will confirm that the app is no longer there to annoy you.