How to remove the software "WaveSecure "

Guest excalibar1984

Guest Qwertymon
I do not know why Modaco insist on forcing this software upon custom ROM users, STILL. I complained of this last year - it fell on deaf ears, although I could read between the lines. As it turns out, Paul has something to do with the promotion or development of WaveSecure, so it is in his interest to push it at us as much as possible (no offence Paul).

To have this included by default, unless you pay for premium membership, is plain wrong, and flies in the face of everything the FSF and open source were founded to achieve. Android is touted as being Open Source, and almost forcing this app upon users is not a nice thing to do, especially when there is no simple (read: non-geeky, for the average user) way to remove it.

If the software, as Harrid alleges, DOES send texts to a number without permission (unconfirmed), then this is as bad as they spying mechanisms which Microsoft use in XP, to send Microsoft lists of what music you are listening to, and what programs you have installed (yes, they do - I suggest you watch some Richard Stallman lectures - he is the founder of the FSF - "The Free Software Foundation", without whom Android likely wouldn't even exist).

If you value your freedom, you should reject software that has no way of being removed, and if you decide you want to use it, you should ask for someone with appropriate knowledge to look at the WaveSecure source code, and ensure it does not spy on the users by sending texts. This kind of practice is immoral, and should be stopped.

Please note:

This post is not meant to start a flame war, but is intended to (hopefully) allow even free Modaco members to have the choice as to whether or not software is present in THEIR hardware.

Thank you

then dont use the rom, simple as that, or dont be a scrooge and donate and bake your own rom :shrug: either way you get to not use wave secure, open source does not mean everything is free, you just have to look at x86 linux distros to understand that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest oliwek
I do not know why Modaco insist on forcing this software upon custom ROM users, STILL. I complained of this last year - it fell on deaf ears, although I could read between the lines. As it turns out, Paul has something to do with the promotion or development of WaveSecure, so it is in his interest to push it at us as much as possible (no offence Paul).

To have this included by default, unless you pay for premium membership, is plain wrong, and flies in the face of everything the FSF and open source were founded to achieve. Android is touted as being Open Source, and almost forcing this app upon users is not a nice thing to do, especially when there is no simple (read: non-geeky, for the average user) way to remove it.

If the software, as Harrid alleges, DOES send texts to a number without permission (unconfirmed), then this is as bad as they spying mechanisms which Microsoft use in XP, to send Microsoft lists of what music you are listening to, and what programs you have installed (yes, they do - I suggest you watch some Richard Stallman lectures - he is the founder of the FSF - "The Free Software Foundation", without whom Android likely wouldn't even exist).

If you value your freedom, you should reject software that has no way of being removed, and if you decide you want to use it, you should ask for someone with appropriate knowledge to look at the WaveSecure source code, and ensure it does not spy on the users by sending texts. This kind of practice is immoral, and should be stopped.

Please note:

This post is not meant to start a flame war, but is intended to (hopefully) allow even free Modaco members to have the choice as to whether or not software is present in THEIR hardware.

Thank you

I agree this is a sad choice...

There are better and cheaper alternatives, with more options, to localize/lock/wipe an android phone on the market.

So all this situation is akin to push bloatware on a custom ROM, ie something people adopt often to get rid of other bloatware the carriers push on their devices.

For info, on my HTC Hero with Paul's r5 ROM, what you have to do to uninstall Wavesecure is using android sdk and adb : connect your phone in HTC sync mode,

then in the command line interface (cmd), CD to android-sdk/platform-tools directory, then :

adb remount

adb shell rm /system/app/com.wsandroid.apk

:P

by the way, as it is still a 2.1 ROM, the tips about removing "WaveSecure from the list of Device Administrators" has no use (it's for android 2.2+)

edit : I had not installed the "uninstall protection" for Wavesure from the Market, so you'll have to solve this if it is installed on your device

Edited by oliwek

• 1 month later...
Guest Mrian

yep. I concour end users should be able to remove software easily. Its not simply a security issue either. before I had even installed the software it was impossible to remove through regular means. So its not as if I had installed the software and it was being 'protected' from removal. it's stuck on the system before installation with nag ware installed too. ie does one wish to install on every start up of the OS. puts a blight on an otherwise nifty is mod. sure paul can make money from the time spent on his mods. but at least allow the end user to have the option to uninstall software. /rant over.

root uninstaller is free (for 3 uninstalls) and will remove this software.